The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
7/6/2024 1:03:49 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 MOHICAN BOARD COURIER
 The Towne Crier's Square
 Being Careful.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Do you enjoy this site? Topic Next Topic: Terri Irwins Interview w/ Barbara Walters  

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - July 25 2007 :  08:45:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are a lot of very sick-o people in this world. There are those who actually do some pretty terrible things, and there are those who enjoy making up terrible things and spreading them around as truth.

I'm sure that we've all received many emails, or have read board postings in various places, that warn of all sorts of things: viruses that do horrible things to your computer and to your home and family if you open them, awful things living in sewers that can come out through your toilet and get you; horrific things that are done to kittens or other animals; and many others.

On the other side of the spectrum, there are tons of feel-good stories that fly around, that are usually the product of someone's strong desire to write the all-American novel. Fortunately, they do no harm, except to make gullible people cry all over their keyboards. I know! I've been there, too.

The point of this whole spiel is to let you all know that there are two excellent websites where you can go to check out these warnings and stories before you send them on to your friends and acquaintances (who have probably seen them a dozen times already), or post them to online community message boards.

They are: www.truthorfiction.com and www.snopes.com. Both websites go to great lengths to get to the bottom of these things. Many are found to be false, or hoaxes. Some are found to be partial truths that people have embellished for their own amusement, and some are found to be totally true.

So, just be careful, folks. It's not a good thing to cause people to be horrified, upset, depressed, or worried over things that simply are not true.

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."
report to moderator

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - July 25 2007 :  09:21:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
There is one that goes around every so often about what happened to the signers of the Declaration of Independence. It was on one of the message boards this July 4. Some is true, but most is not. It was originally written in 1956 by Paul Harvey, who did not check his sources, and has been liberally plagiarized ever since. Again, Snopes does a good analysis of it.

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - July 25 2007 :  10:11:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Wilderness Woman

So, just be careful, folks. It's not a good thing to cause people to be horrified, upset, depressed, or worried over things that simply are not true.

Really? Shoot. There goes my whole outlook on life.

No, all kidding aside, thanks for the links, WW. I think they'll come in handy.

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - July 25 2007 :  12:22:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

...horrific things that are done to kittens or other animals...

BTW, this has absolutely nothing to do with the harmless thread about puppies and kittens, that we have all posted in. This has to do with another topic that was posted yesterday, which has since been removed.

Nope. Don't ask! Case closed.

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - July 25 2007 :  12:40:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I've looked a snopes.com many times...good place.

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - July 25 2007 :  5:51:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

quote:

...horrific things that are done to kittens or other animals...

BTW, this has absolutely nothing to do with the harmless thread about puppies and kittens, that we have all posted in. This has to do with another topic that was posted yesterday, which has since been removed.

Nope. Don't ask! Case closed.

Aw, dang!

Kidding! Don't wanna' know! But thank you, WW for the links. They will be very helpful!

I live in my own little world - but that's okay, they know me here!

Last of the dustbunnies
Pioneer

uncas in dark
USA

July 17 2007

Posted - July 25 2007 :  10:01:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
i go there all the time, i relized i've been fooled ALOT!

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - July 26 2007 :  01:25:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
"If it's on the internet, it must be true!" You mean to tell me that's all just ?

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - July 26 2007 :  10:29:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
What a sad, hard awakening, huh?

I live in my own little world - but that's okay, they know me here!

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - July 28 2007 :  09:53:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Good message, WW!!!

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - July 28 2007 :  12:45:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Obediah

"If it's on the internet, it must be true!"

That's certainly what my students think. They are shocked and offended when I won't let them cite Wikipedia as an authority or sites like this:
http://www.novaroma.org/religio_romana/declaration_religio.html

If you don't want to follow the link, it's a site called Nova Roma, dedicated to "pagan reconstructionism," AKA worshiping ancient Roman deities in today's world. Nova Roma claims to be "the spiritual successor of the ancient ways, reborn anew," and is very careful to define a true Roman pagan as "a person who actively performs rites, rituals, and/or prayers to any or all of the gods and goddesses of ancient Pagan Rome as the majority of their spiritual involvement."

Yeah. I have nothing more to say. I think this falls under what Obi has so eloquently called !
  Previous Topic: Do you enjoy this site? Topic Next Topic: Terri Irwins Interview w/ Barbara Walters  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.47 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07