The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/10/2024 8:26:32 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 Reality or Fiction?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: guess Im in the minority of women who... Topic Next Topic: uncas and alice petition  

winglo
Deerslayer

USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
July 13 2007

Donating Member

Posted - July 19 2007 :  4:33:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a daughter who is 5 1/2. She is at that age where she is clearly grasping what is reality and what is "just pretend." About once a month we watch LOTM together (I fast forward thru some parts, so it's more appropriate for her.) So, I was driving around doing some errands this afternoon and out of the clear blue from the back seat she says to me, "Mommy, why do you always cry when Uncas and Alice die when it's not even for real? I would be o.k. if those people were real, but they're not even alive."

So, am I too into this movie?
report to moderator

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - July 19 2007 :  4:56:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Most people on this board are very much into the movie. We all enjoy it a lot but I have never cried even though I have seen Uncas die a few times. Always feels sad though but that is movie-making for you. The good ones really "get to us" and our emotions. Even though movies are not real, just made up stories (well some of them), they can still bring some people to tears. Nothing to feel "bad" about. You just really care for the characters. My heart always goes out to poor Chingy every time he loses his beloved only son Uncas. It was a great loss for us all to bear.

IG
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Last of the dustbunnies
Pioneer

uncas in dark
USA

July 17 2007

Posted - July 19 2007 :  5:48:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
i feel the same way, I almost ALWAYS cry when i see uncas die, **tear**

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - July 19 2007 :  7:30:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I ALWAYS cry at that scene!

I live in my own little world - but that's okay, they know me here!

winglo
Deerslayer

USA

July 13 2007

Donating Member

Posted - July 19 2007 :  7:42:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hey, thanks for making me feel sane. I'm glad I'm not the only one who cries. I can't even listen to Promentory on the cd without crying, so I can never listen to it on my way to work because I end up a mess by the time I get there.

Last of the dustbunnies
Pioneer

uncas in dark
USA

July 17 2007

Posted - July 19 2007 :  8:26:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by winglo

Hey, thanks for making me feel sane. I'm glad I'm not the only one who cries. I can't even listen to Promentory on the cd without crying, so I can never listen to it on my way to work because I end up a mess by the time I get there.

me TOO!

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

Theresa
Bumppo's Tavern Proprietress

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - July 20 2007 :  07:50:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
The part where I cry is at the very end when Chingachgook talks about how his people will be moved out by the white man...this is in the DVD version. When he says, "Once we were here," tears well up every time. I suppose the reason it touches me so is because it is true.

Theresa

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - July 20 2007 :  12:35:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Indeed, Theresa. That scene is where the real pathos of the movie comes into play. Well said.

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

angicx
Pathfinder

Gothic Girl 2
USA

August 21 2007

Posted - August 22 2007 :  01:50:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit angicx's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Many things about the movie, including the music, moves me deeply, and I definitely cry at the end EVERY time... but I cry at animated Disney movies and AT&T comercials also.... so there ya go. My son thinks I'm crazy
I say if music or a fictional piece, be it movie or book, can evoke the kind of emotion that moves you to tears, someone has done something powerfully right.

Example:
Have any of you ever read Where The Red Fern Grows? OMG!!!!

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - August 22 2007 :  08:45:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by angicx

My son thinks I'm crazy

Whaddaya expect? He's 14!!!

angicx
Pathfinder

Gothic Girl 2
USA

August 21 2007

Posted - August 22 2007 :  11:27:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit angicx's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Haha... this is so true. I forgot that was normal

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - August 22 2007 :  12:27:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Welcome to the board angicx and happy posting.

IG

angicx
Pathfinder

Gothic Girl 2
USA

August 21 2007

Posted - August 22 2007 :  2:28:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit angicx's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thanks Irishgirl! I must say, I've enjoyed reading your posts in the various different threads, and while I've not been here long at all, I've caught wind of something curious I'm hoping you can shed some light on... what can you tell me about the infamous mudpit??? Your modest friend, the undefeated Emperor said you or maybe Ms Moon could enlighten me

(why do I get the feeling I've opened a guinness book can of worms here???)

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - August 22 2007 :  3:33:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Ah yes, the mudpit. Somewhere Obi loves to be taken, don't ya Obi? Light and myself like to take Geezers like Obi there to "teach them a lesson" when they have been "very naughty boys". Obi, for some reason, likes to consider himself the Emperor of said mudpit but Light and I know better. We just humor him. Indeed Light and I both consider ourselves "Queen of the Pit" a fact that Obi likes to "disregard". I say Light considers herself Queen but anyone with an ounce of brains knows I am the true Queen. Nothing like a good "wrassle" in there to rejuvinate oneself. Feel free to "threaten" Obi with the pit if you so desire. Nothing that man likes better than to talk "pit" with whomever will listen. Ain't that right 'ole geezer? By the way, his preferred style of wrestling is "shirtless" so be WARNED.

IG

angicx
Pathfinder

Gothic Girl 2
USA

August 21 2007

Posted - August 22 2007 :  6:48:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit angicx's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well I hate to say I'm more than a tad confused...
I assume we're talking a "figurative" mudpit... unless there's a group of yall that travel somewhere to an actual pit of mud to physically hash out your disputes, or you just collectively happen to have a pica disorder...

Care to clarify? I don't have an pica issue, but mud wrestling sounds fun.. I may want an invite!

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - August 22 2007 :  7:14:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by angicx

Care to clarify? I don't have an pica issue, but mud wrestling sounds fun.. I may want an invite!

The "mudpit" is a place we ladies occasionally take Obi and other badly behaved geezers when they get out of line. Basically it amounts to a resulting in for Obi and for us.

"Clear it up any?"

Okay, sorry I just wanted to use that line. The mudpit's not real, Angi, just our eupehmism for whoopin' up on somebody who needs it. Feel free to join in whenever you like. The more the merrier . . . in the mudpit!

And BTW, Where the Red Fern Grows? Totally agree.

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - August 22 2007 :  9:30:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I just noticed that this mudpit discussion happens to be in a thread entitled "Reality or Fiction?" How apropos!

angicx
Pathfinder

Gothic Girl 2
USA

August 21 2007

Posted - August 24 2007 :  8:08:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit angicx's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Haha, very well explained Red. I figured as much but ya never know...

quote:
"Clear it up any?"

and as far as the usage of this quote, I don't think I could have helped myself either

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - August 24 2007 :  10:41:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Irishgirl

Welcome to the board angicx and happy posting.

WELCOME TO MOHICAN LAND, ANGICX!

Where the Red Fern Grows....that'll do me in too. So you gals ain't alone.

I live in my own little world - but that's okay, they know me here!

nipponophile
Pathfinder

November 11 2008

Posted - November 11 2008 :  11:09:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
That whole scene, from when Uncas wordless tells his father he is going after his love, through Uncas' and Alice's tragic deaths, Chingy's anguish-fuelled revenge and heartbreaking farewell of his son and melancholic reverie, has me on the floor wracked with gut-wrenching sobs EVERY time. No other movie has ever affected me like this one, not even Braveheart, which is about my own ancestors. I think it's because this scene pulls all the heart strings - young love lost, the child dying before the parent, and the inevitable loss of an entire way of life, all accompanied by the most soaringly, tragically beautiful score.
  Previous Topic: guess Im in the minority of women who... Topic Next Topic: uncas and alice petition  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.39 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07