The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
7/1/2024 1:34:11 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 COLONIAL TIMES
 The French & Indian War
 New F&I Movie "Jamie MacGilivray"
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Geography questions Topic Next Topic: 250thAnniversary French Occupation of Venango Day1  

Edmund McKinnon
Colonial Settler

Bat-Man
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 23 2002

Posted - October 15 2002 :  11:48:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
How many would be willing to see "Jamie MacGilivray"knowing that the main character portrays a Jacobite who lives among the Natives and makes war on the Crown?

Choices:

Wild Horses Couldn' t Keep Me Away
I Can't wait To See It
Maybe
I Need o Know More About It
Who's In This Flick Again?
If I didn't Have Anything Else To Do That Night
Not Bloody Likely
Pug Mahone!

report to moderator

CT•Ranger
Colonial Militia

indian ... nicholas
USA

October 14 2002

Posted - October 16 2002 :  3:19:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I'm not really familiar with Sayles' work, I'd have to find out more about it. Just because a film is based on an interesting idea, doeasn't mean it will be a good film. Just look at windtalkers, interesting idea, but terrible film. Every time I hear the name John Woo my stomach clenches, and I hang my head ashamed that I actually paid the ticket price for Mission Impossible 2. I learned my lesson with MI2, I'll never go to another John Woo film.

Anyway, that's off the topic, back to Jamie MacGilivray. What is this film based on other than someones fantasy? How common an experience was it for a Jacobite to travel to New France and live amongst the bush lopers and savages on the frontier? Is there historical documentation for this kind of character? Just some of my thoughts.

CT•Ranger

"Now we are glad to learn the skulking way of war.” - John Eliot
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Edmund McKinnon
Colonial Settler

Bat-Man
USA

May 23 2002

Posted - October 17 2002 :  12:48:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Only one way to find out.Go directly to the source:www.johnsaylesretro.com He has quite a few movies under his belt actually.My favorite was "The Howling".He also directed "Matewan" and "Eight Men Out."His most recent film is "SunShine State".Currently,he is in Mexico filming"Casa de los Babys" plus directing a remake of "The Alamo" for Ron Howard.He was at the Ft.Ligonier Museum recently doing research for this movie.I don't know if there is any documenation about a jacobite fleeing the highlands and living amongst le savages(translation:one who lives in the woods),but it certainly seems plausible.Don't forget,many jacobites had to get out of Dodge after Culloden.There was a greater number of former jacobites however,who came to North America in the service of the British Army.EM

Edmond N.Highlander Jr.

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 17 2002 :  2:36:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I would much rather see a movie about Jacobites serving in one of the Highland Regiments of the Crown.

Sgt. Duncan Munro
Capt. Graham's Coy
1/42nd Royal Highlanders

"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - May 13 2003 :  06:31:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Here are the latest facts, rumors, & links on this upcoming production, passed along through Highlander! Sources appear to be through a Robert Carlyle [RC] fan-listing of some sort ...

It [the film] appears to be originally RC's own idea. Remember a long time ago we read an interview where he was asked what he was reading and he replied he was reading The Highland Clearances by John Prebble? Perhaps he had the film in mind at that point, or perhaps that sowed the seeds for the idea.

It appears to have been scheduled to start filming this spring, but as
we haven't heard anything, I expect it's postponed. The Hitler series appears to have disrupted several things, and this may be one of them. I'll be very excited when they start filming, as this sounds to me like a terrific project--one in which our man perhaps will play the hero and we can all be cheering for him--wouldn't that be nice!!! And might it even be filmed partly in the US???? Or will some European location masquerade as the states again?

The following article is at:
http://home.earthlink.net/~saylesweb/na021124.html

Sayles goes epic: Jamie MacGillivray

The next film John Sayles hopes to direct, tentatively titled
Jamie MacGillivray, is a historical epic film that he scripted
based on an idea by Scottish actor Robert Carlyle (Trainspotting, The World is not Enough), who is also set to star in the title role. The film will be the most expensive ever undertaken by
Sayles as it is budgeted between $24 and $32 million. (By comparison, the most expensive Sayles film to date is Limbo, which
was budgeted at $8 million.)

Few details have emerged about the plot, however, it appears to
follow a Scottish Highlander who was defeated at the Battle of
Culloden and came to the states, later getting involved with the
Plains Indians. [????] Many of these Highlanders were imported to the
New World as bonded servants and later became free. The film follows
one of these men from the Battle of Culloden to the Battle of Quebec (nearly a 30-year timespan).

The film is reportedly to be shot in English, French, Gaelic, and
Delaware Indian and production is scheduled to begin in Spring
2003. Comments John Sayles (from ScreenDaily.com). "We call it
the Scottish Western," says Sayles, "but the point of it is that this
guy is a linguist so you canít have people doing accents.

This article is at:
http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/369/369606p1.html

Sayles & Carlyle Team for Jamie MacGillivray "Scottish Western" to lens this spring?

August 30, 2002 - Indie filmmaker John Sayles will direct the
historical drama Jamie MacGillivray with actor Robert Carlyle
(Trainspotting, The World Is Not Enough) in the title role. According to a news report from The Mirror, which was then picked up by this Robert Carlyle fansite, Carlyle will also produce the film under his 4 Way Pictures banner. The project is about "a Highlander who was defeated at the battle of Culloden [and] came to the States and got involved with the Plains Indians."
Furthermore, "many of the Scottish Highlanders who were deported
as bonded servants for the rest of their lives, as prisoners and
slaves, eventually got free in the New World."

Carlyle reportedly approached Sayles about helming Jamie
MacGillivray
, which The Mirror claims Carlyle also scripted. Sayles revealed that the filmmakers have already scouted
locations in Scotland. Culloden Moor "will do perfectly and we will look at some castles and old houses and stuff like that," Sayles
revealed. "We will have three weeks of shooting in Scotland before
McGillivray gets sent away to the States."

This Carlyle fansite, citing The Mirror, adds that the plot
follows "a band of brothers who flee to America ... after the
[April 16, 1746] defeat of Bonnie Prince Charlie'

Two Kettles
Colonial Settler

USA

August 01 2002

Posted - May 13 2003 :  4:36:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
For what it's worth, it seems Sayles is still in post-production on CASA DE LOS BABYS. Then he'll have to do promotion, etc. But most film start-up predictions are too hopeful. We can only hope that when he is able to get it started, he has the time and the money to do something really special.

Two Kettles

Highlander
Colonial Militia

Bushy Run painting
USA

February 04 2003

Posted - May 13 2003 :  6:55:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Highlander's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I agree.This movie,if in fact it is indeed a go,will be here just in time for the 250th anniversary of The French & Indian War.Although,I'm sure that it wasn't planned that way.It will definitely be bigger than the alleged "War for Empire Consortium" and their 3 hour PBS movie.(if it even gets filmed)It appears as if it has only been sidetracked for now.Is it possible that it could eventually be as big as LOTM?Only time will tell.

Highlander

CT•Ranger
Colonial Militia

indian ... nicholas
USA

October 14 2002

Posted - May 14 2003 :  10:02:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I find the above posted internet movie rumor articles quite amusing. Really shows just how ignorant people can be. Many of them are just blatant copies of an original article, so they all have the same dumb mistakes.

"a Highlander who was defeated at the battle of Culloden [and] came to the States and got involved with the Plains Indians."

Hmmm... Got involved with the plains indians in the mid 18th century? Not very likely. I didn't know there were any "States" around then either.

"...covers Culloden, Braddock's Defeat and The Battle of Quebec." That's a nearly thirty-year timespan!"

30 years!? Let's see, 1746 to 1759, that doesn't seem to add up to thirty to me.

And the last article seems to really belive the film will be a Western. Just because Sayles is rumored to have called it a "Scottish western."

YMHS,
Connecticut•Ranger
Thomas Thacher

Sgt.Reynolds
Pathfinder

Longhunter With Dogs
USA

April 24 2003

Posted - May 14 2003 :  3:15:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sgt.Reynolds's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I especially liked the comment about the "Ten Gallon Hats"These people can indeed by ignorant.I would expect more from people in the media however.At least they have the resources to check things out.It reminds me of some of the questions that we field at reenactments:"Zat a real gun?" or "Yinz guys building a real fire there?"Yes,now go ahead and touch it,and see what happens!These poor people have no concept of anything happening on this continent prior to 1776.Hopefully movies such as LOTM and anything that follows will show them otherwise

Two Kettles
Colonial Settler

USA

August 01 2002

Posted - May 14 2003 :  4:36:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I hate to say anything good about "the media", but at least one of the comments was a fairly understandable misunderstanding. The comment about the Battle of Quebec being 30 years after Culloden was because the writer at IGN FilmForce was thinking of the Arnold/Montgomery assault at the start of the Revolution, not Wolfe's siege.

And, from what I've read, Carlyle found out quite some time ago that there were no refugee Highlanders, or much of anyone else white, living with the Plains Indians in the 1740s and 50s. That's why Sayles was doing his research in PA and not, say, Montana. I think Carlyle originally wanted to do something with the Plains Indians, but when he found out that you couldn't historically tie them in with Culloden, he shifted the focus of his Native American story rather than moving the timeline ahead and remaking A MAN CALLED HORSE or something similar. Hopefully, that's a good sign.

Two Kettles

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - May 14 2003 :  7:24:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by CT•Ranger

I find the above posted internet movie rumor articles quite amusing.

Hmmm... Got involved with the plains indians in the mid 18th century? Not very likely. I didn't know there were any "States" around then either.

For the record, it was I who added in the "????" after the Plains Indian reference in the original article.

Shawnee Scout
Pathfinder

Indian Party
USA

May 01 2003

Posted - May 15 2003 :  12:16:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shawnee Scout's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Dudes,I hate those plain indians too.I like to wear some body paint,and maybe like a nose ring which is pretty decent.

60thGrenadier
Pathfinder

King 2
USA

April 30 2003

Posted - May 15 2003 :  12:31:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit 60thGrenadier's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Shawnee Scout

Dudes,I hate those plain indians too.I like to wear some body paint,and maybe like a nose ring which is pretty decent.

No my misguided scout,he is referring to those tribes who live in the West,not the Eastern Woodland tribes such as yourself.

God Save The King

Shawnee Scout
Pathfinder

Indian Party
USA

May 01 2003

Posted - May 15 2003 :  12:46:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shawnee Scout's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Ohhhhhhhh.Cool!

Highlander
Colonial Militia

Bushy Run painting
USA

February 04 2003

Posted - May 20 2003 :  04:45:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Highlander's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I can see a Jacobite living in New France instead of under the "Crown" in the colonies.There probably weren't many,but there could have been a few.Afterall,France did assist the Jacobite cause.

Highlander

Sgt.Reynolds
Pathfinder

Longhunter With Dogs
USA

April 24 2003

Posted - May 20 2003 :  2:37:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sgt.Reynolds's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Now that it did laddie.Since this movie is supposed to cover Braddock's Defeat,I hope that it gives a good showing of the Virginia rangers who were present,and probably saved the day with GW by covering the withdrawl.

60thGrenadier
Pathfinder

King 2
USA

April 30 2003

Posted - May 20 2003 :  6:31:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit 60thGrenadier's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
If nothing else,it will be a good replacement for the PBS/War For Empire movie that's a no-show.

God Save The King

Shawnee Scout
Pathfinder

Indian Party
USA

May 01 2003

Posted - May 21 2003 :  12:05:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shawnee Scout's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Excellent!

Two Kettles
Colonial Settler

USA

August 01 2002

Posted - August 05 2003 :  12:11:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well, as with many worthy projects, looks like JAMIE has hit a delay. According to articles that just appeared at IGN FilmForce and The Hollywood Reporter, John Sayles' next movie will be a political drama/murder mystery called SILVER CITY. Hopefully this is only a temporary setback.

Two Kettles

Highlander
Colonial Militia

Bushy Run painting
USA

February 04 2003

Posted - August 14 2003 :  6:22:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Highlander's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I agree.While talking to a member of a John Sayles fansite the other day,I learned that fundraisnig was still a problem for this one.The projected budget is from 24 to 32 million(Sayles biggest yet)ad is supposed to be done in conjunction with Carlyle's 4way films.I will keep you posted.

Highlander
  Previous Topic: Geography questions Topic Next Topic: 250thAnniversary French Occupation of Venango Day1  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.45 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07