The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/12/2024 3:29:35 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 If you had to sacrifice Alice to save Uncas...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page

Author Previous Topic: Stolen Women Captured Hearts Topic Next Topic: killdeer
Page: of 2

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
December 18 2004

Posted - May 30 2007 :  07:51:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by blackfootblood

My solution to the Alice departure. In the beginning of the movie when they leave with Magua and are riding thru the woods, they cut to a very quick scene that shows a mountain lion hiding in the bushes. My theory is that they should of had the lion pounce on Alice tearing her to shreads and thus ridding us of the poor Alice character and getting on with the good stuff, i.e "Uncas". Simple solution to a simple problem!

I like it, Blackfoot. Then Uncas never lays eyes on her and thus he can set out in search of me.

I live in my own little world - but that's okay, they know me here!
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - May 30 2007 :  09:01:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Very observant Blackie. I never even noticed the mountain lion before. Shall have to look for it now. Like the whole "tearing Alice to shreds" part.

IG

blackfootblood
Devoted Tribal Member

homecoming
USA

May 22 2007

Donating Member

Posted - May 30 2007 :  10:18:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
LOL!!! It's such a stupid short scene! I don't know why they even put it in the film. It made no sense. When you look at the mountain lion, you can obviously(sp) tell it's stuffed. It don't move and it positioned kinda weird. Besides if a ML was that close, he would have ran. Oh well, HOLLYWOOD!

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain!"

"Live well, love much, laugh often!"

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - May 30 2007 :  12:28:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I think the scene that shows the big cat has a purpose. If you watch Cora closely, as she is riding on the horse through the deep, dark, wooded wilderness, you will see what she is experiencing. She is looking around her, absorbing everything. She is obviously feeling a mixture of interest and wonder, tinged with just a touch of fear.

Seeing the cat is just part of the whole flavor of that, all of which comes together in that deep "stirring of the blood" she later confesses to Nathaniel.

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - May 30 2007 :  1:51:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
At least they cut the painted pigeons.

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"

blackfootblood
Devoted Tribal Member

homecoming
USA

May 22 2007

Donating Member

Posted - May 30 2007 :  2:07:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Fitzhugh Williams

At least they cut the painted pigeons.

Painted Pigeons?? Have to fill me in....

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain!"

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - May 30 2007 :  4:05:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Take a look at this link:
http://www.mohicanpress.com/messageboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3156&whichpage=2&SearchTerms=,pigeons

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"

blackfootblood
Devoted Tribal Member

homecoming
USA

May 22 2007

Donating Member

Posted - May 30 2007 :  4:53:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Fitzhugh Williams

Take a look at this link:
http://www.mohicanpress.com/messageboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3156&whichpage=2&SearchTerms=,pigeons

Thank goodness the "blue pigeons" didn't make the film. Thanks for filling me in!!!

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - May 30 2007 :  4:55:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Getting back to the topic at hand, I have a question for Light, Irish, and Red (+ any other lady so inclined to answer): We all know that Alice leapt to her death on the rocks below after she watched Magua slice & dice Ching's kid -- what would you (Light, Irish, Red, etc) do if you were in her shoes, join you-know-who (splattering on the rocks below) or cuddle up to Magua? C'mon now, answer truly!

blackfootblood
Devoted Tribal Member

homecoming
USA

May 22 2007

Donating Member

Posted - May 30 2007 :  5:05:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I would totally cuddle up to Magua!!! That's a no brainer!! I'd have me some babies with him!!!

Dark Woods
Colonial Settler

Light House
USA

May 18 2002

Donating Member

Posted - May 30 2007 :  8:54:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dark Woods's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Interesting comments!

I do like the idea of the Mountain Lion causing the demise of Alice early in the movie.

We become what we think about.

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - May 31 2007 :  04:44:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Obediah

Getting back to the topic at hand, I have a question for Light, Irish, and Red (+ any other lady so inclined to answer): We all know that Alice leapt to her death on the rocks below after she watched Magua slice & dice Ching's kid -- what would you (Light, Irish, Red, etc) do if you were in her shoes, join you-know-who (splattering on the rocks below) or cuddle up to Magua? C'mon now, answer truly!

This is a good question for 4am when I can't sleep.

I think, if I were Alice, I could cuddle up to Magua just long enough to see if anyone would come rescue me. Maybe I would think something like this:

"Hawkeye and Cora are around somewhere, since I just saw them in the Huron village. Uncas just ran out of the forest to try to save me, so his dad's probably around too. Who knows where Duncan is, but there sure is a godawful stench in the air, like really bad meat on the fire. Hmmm . . . Magua just lowered his bloody knife and tried to get me to come away from the cliff's edge, so it doesn't look like he wants to kill me. Maybe I'll wait this one out a bit. If I'm wrong, and no one does come to save me, we're in the freakin' mountains. There are plenty of other cliffs to throw myself over."

Then I think I'd shrug and take Magua's hand--not the one with all the blood on it--and hope like heck that Cora and her new man hadn't forgotten about me. Magua would probably have to take me to his village before killing me or making me his special friend, so I've got time. Plus, like I said, there would be plenty of other opportunities to chuck myself over the mountainside.

But maybe I just answered that way because I have a terrible fear of falling from high places. I imagine the fall would feel something like that squidgy feeling in your stomach when you're on a roller coaster; I hate that feeling. Then there's the kersplat at the end. Not really the best way to go, if you ask me. Of course, if I had a choice between that and being burned alive, I'd definitely go with the cliff. Yech!

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - May 31 2007 :  09:10:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Obediah

Well Obi I would definitely NOT jump to my death. No purpose in that at all. Uncas sure was a looker and as sad as I would be at his untimely demise I would definitely not jump. I would tag along with Magua and not "rile" him in any way. I would hope for rescue since Hawkeye, Chingy and Cora would be sure to come save me and if they did not, well then I would hope Magua would not kill me or have me meet some terrible end. If necessary, I would be a "wife" to him, if only for survival sake but I would hope to one day be saved or escape. If he did decide to "keep" me and not trade me off to some "lowlife" then I would be a good wife to him and make him fall in with me so he would be smitten and not kill me.

Jumping was the stupidest thing Alice could have done. Had she waited just a while longer, she could have been rescued. Silly child indeed.

IG

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - May 31 2007 :  8:50:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well, so far it looks like the score is CUDDLE 3, JUMP 0! C'mon Lighty Girl, ya gonna make it a shutout??

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - June 02 2007 :  12:45:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I'd cuddle up with Magua and call out Uncas' name at the most inopportune moments.
Afterward, I'd treat him like hell. He'd probably take me back and throw me over the cliff. But I am never one to go down alone so I'd take him with me!

blackfootblood
Devoted Tribal Member

homecoming
USA

May 22 2007

Donating Member

Posted - June 02 2007 :  3:45:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Light of the Moon

I'd cuddle up with Magua and call out Uncas' name at the most inopportune moments.
Afterward, I'd treat him like hell. He'd probably take me back and throw me over the cliff. But I am never one to go down alone so I'd take him with me!

You really are evil!!! I like it!!!

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - June 02 2007 :  4:42:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Survey says! CUDDLE 4, JUMP 0.

So tell us, Light, just what are those "inopportune moments?"

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - June 02 2007 :  5:55:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Dare I say them?

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Stolen Women Captured Hearts Topic Next Topic: killdeer  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.28 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07