The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/12/2024 5:17:38 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 If you had to sacrifice Alice to save Uncas...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page

Author Previous Topic: Stolen Women Captured Hearts Topic Next Topic: killdeer
Page: of 2

Dark Woods
Colonial Settler

Light House
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 18 2002

Donating Member

Posted - March 07 2007 :  02:25:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dark Woods's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As played out in the movie, both Alice and Uncas die. The death of The death of Uncas is much lamented by the ladies.

Since Alice is doomed anyway, maybe if she was killed off sooner, Uncas might survive! So my question is, At what point in the story line would you have Alice meet her demise, and thereby avoid having Uncas die in a vain rescue attempt.

For me, I would have her be killed in the melee at Massacre Valley. In the midst of the battle, she would be just one more casualty, so responsibility would be difuse, and everyone else could get on with their lives. (And Uncas would thereafter be terribly busy fighting off the numerous Mohicanland ladies.)

We become what we think about.
report to moderator

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - March 07 2007 :  07:36:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Bumping off Alice to save Uncas? My spidey sense tells me this is going to be a popular question.

So let's see. When would I have Alice die? I'm going to go for melodrama and have her die at Ft. Wm-Henry. Like so:

It is night. As the French continue to batter the fort with mortar rounds, Duncan walks into the room with Cora and Alice. [We know this scene from the movie, so I'll skip it.] Alice arises from her bed and leaves her sister, saying she will go see if Mr. Phelps needs anything. We see Duncan's rejection, then the camera follows Alice, who makes her way to the battlements. Dazed and dizzy from the exertions of the day, she walks mindlessly along the walls, surveying the battlefield. Uncas observes her from a distance. She weaves in and out among the men stationed at the cannons along the walls, when a sudden round of fire from the French strikes very near her. An explosion. The walls of the fort crumble. When the smoke clears Alice can be seen lying, wounded and bloody, on the ground. Uncas runs to save her but it is too late. He cradles her in his arms and she has enough strength to smile up at him before her vision fades to black....

That's my scene. Cora loses her sister and Hawkeye in one night. A grief-stricken Col. Munro now has a reason to surrender the fort. But, most importantly, the Alice-Uncas love theme gets developed a little more, only to be horribly thwarted. Now Uncas is broken-hearted and ready for the "comfort" offered by those "numerous Mohicanland ladies"!
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - March 07 2007 :  09:37:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
What a great question DW and I loved your little scenario Red. You should really consider writing romance novels. What an imagination. What a way to go though, being cradled in the arms of Uncas and his handsome, cute, adorable face being the last thing she sees before the darkness falls and all life is drained from her body....sigh.

Well mine is pretty simple really. I would have Alice meet her maker in the cave under the falls. Magua and his band of Huron come into the cave and Alice goes hysterical and starts crying and screaming. They try to restrain her hands but she resists despsite Cora's pleading with her to be calm and telling her things will be "alright". She pulls away from the Huron who is trying to tie up her wrists and runs towards the opening pursued by the same Huron and in her haste and state of fright she slips on the wet rocks and falls to her death. Much like Hawkeye's descent in the water we see Alice falling in the water obviously to her death as she can't swim and even she could still would have no chance to escape a "watery death". After the Hurons take Cora and Duncan and soldier #2 away they could pan to a shot of Alice's lifeless body lying on the shore.

Now this Mohicanland lady would be more than happy to "console" Uncas.

IG

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - March 07 2007 :  10:24:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
The whole idea won't work. If you DON'T kill off Uncas, then you have to change the title of the movie to "Next To The Last Of The Mohicans".

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"

Seamus
Guardian of Heaven's Gate

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - March 07 2007 :  10:57:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
............or The Last Two Mohicans".............

Life's journey is not to
arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting
'...holy sh*t ...what a ride!'

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

~~Aim small, hit the b*****d right between the eyes!~~

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - March 07 2007 :  11:59:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
But then if you killed off Ching, the original title would still work. Say, for instance, the three are chasing Magua, running up the cliffs, when suddenly Ching grabs his chest and falls to the ground. Hawkeye starts mouth-to-mouth, while Uncas does chest comperssions. But, alas, it is of no use, so they roll him off the cliff and start chasing Magua again. Uncas grabs the big blue hockey stick so he will have something serious with which to smite the Huron. No knife in the back this time! Magua goes to the Happy Hunting Ground and Uncas gets to make the speech at the end. And since Alice is dead, you see him looking Cora over and thinking "All I have to do is turn Hawkeye over to the British . . . "

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - March 07 2007 :  12:24:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Oh... my... goodness...

Miss-yer Lay-Fransay, it really pains me to say this, but that is so funny, it is brilliant!

Bravo!

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - March 07 2007 :  1:52:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Fitzhugh Williams

But then if you killed off Ching, the original title would still work. Say, for instance, the three are chasing Magua, running up the cliffs, when suddenly Ching grabs his chest and falls to the ground. Hawkeye starts mouth-to-mouth, while Uncas does chest comperssions. But, alas, it is of no use, so they roll him off the cliff and start chasing Magua again. Uncas grabs the big blue hockey stick so he will have something serious with which to smite the Huron. No knife in the back this time! Magua goes to the Happy Hunting Ground and Uncas gets to make the speech at the end. And since Alice is dead, you see him looking Cora over and thinking "All I have to do is turn Hawkeye over to the British . . . "

Yes very funny Fitz. I can just see it all playing out in my head. Was CPR even around in those days

IG

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - March 07 2007 :  6:27:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Miss-yer Lay-Fransay, it really pains me to say this, but that is so funny, it is brilliant!

About this pain, we need to get you into therapy! Find a French tavern and a couple of bottles of merlot, and before you know it the pain will be gone. And you are sure to last longer than Britney.

CPR? Well, if you can wear Nike's and do martial arts moves, why not CPR?

"CPR? We ain't got no CPR. We don't need no CPR. I don't have to show you any stinking CPR!"

I need some merlot.

Dark Woods
Colonial Settler

Light House
USA

May 18 2002

Donating Member

Posted - March 07 2007 :  10:05:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dark Woods's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I like the imaginative replies to this topic. RedFraggle probably has the most romantic scenario so far...

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - March 07 2007 :  10:16:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

I need some merlot.

Are you sure you haven't already had some?

quote:
Originally posted by Irishgirl

Now this Mohicanland lady would be more than happy to "console" Uncas.

I knew you would be!

As for writing romance novels, I have a standing joke with my sisters that, if I don't make it as a professor some day, I'll turn to writing books with Fabio on the cover. Really all you need are sinewy biceps, a few heaving bosoms, and lots and lots of melodrama, right?

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - March 07 2007 :  11:50:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
...writing books with Fabio on the cover...

Or maybe some with Uncas on the cover. I know where you could probably sell a few of those, no matter how bad the story might be.

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - March 08 2007 :  08:39:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

I know where you could probably sell a few of those, no matter how bad the story might be.

Now where would that be, Fitz? I'm at a loss.

Looks like I just found a new way to supplement my meager graduate stipend!

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - March 09 2007 :  10:58:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by RedFraggle

As for writing romance novels, I have a standing joke with my sisters that, if I don't make it as a professor some day, I'll turn to writing books with Fabio on the cover. Really all you need are sinewy biceps, a few heaving bosoms, and lots and lots of melodrama, right?

Fabio, FabioNow that brings back some memories. I think it was '94 and I had his calendar Hubby gave it to me for my birthday or Xams as I told him I wanted itimagine that. What on earth has happened to him anyway. Not seen him in years since the "I can't believe it's not butter" commercials. I think I did see a snippet someplace and he has dark hair now. Any idea where he disappeared to Red

IG

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - March 09 2007 :  2:14:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

Fabio, Fabio. . . . Any idea where he disappeared to Red

Last I heard he got smacked in the face by a bird while he was riding a roller coaster. Remember that, anyone?

Seamus
Guardian of Heaven's Gate

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - March 09 2007 :  2:23:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
On March 30, 1999, Fabio made news after being hit by a low-flying bird while riding the roller coaster Apollo's Chariot at Busch Gardens Williamsburg (now Busch Gardens Europe) in Virginia. The bird, which one park guest claimed to be a goose, slammed into Fabio's face during a 210-foot drop, leaving an inch-long cut on the model's nose. After the ride ended, he was rushed to Williamsburg Community Hospital where he was promptly treated and released.

From Wikipedia.....

Life's journey is not to
arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting
'...holy sh*t ...what a ride!'

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

~~Aim small, hit the b*****d right between the eyes!~~

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - March 09 2007 :  3:19:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thanks Red and Seamus. I do recall that roller coaster incident happening. Poor poor Fabio. Got more than he bargained for on his high flying ride. Must have scared the s###out of him. I shall have to investigate and see what he is up to these days. Perhaps too old for modeling as now at least mid forties and I never see him on the telly anymore.

IG

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - March 10 2007 :  4:42:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by RedFraggle
[br
Last I heard he got smacked in the face by a bird while he was riding a roller coaster. Remember that, anyone?

Boy, I do!!
I think after that incident he's been an avid "Bird Watcher".
So you'll probably find him in a bird free environment somewhere, Irish! Happy Hunting!

And NO ONE and I do mean NO ONE is allowed to pop off Ching!

Now as for Alice....hmmmm...the possibilities are endless. Let's see...

I don't like the falling down the waterfall scene as Uncas, Nathaniel, and Ching had survived it and would see our invalid school girl frantically splashing about and Uncas would have plunged back into the rapids to save her and voila! We are at the same disappointing finale.

I do like the blown to pieces scene a lot! Although I don't think Uncas would be there to cradle her since he was behind another shed with me and that switch!

Okay, okay, back to ficitional reality...

Magua curses the Huron Chief as a dog and to spite him he gives Alice a good neck breaker and she plops on the ground at Cora's feet. Then to fulfill Irish's sick fetish he grabs Cora and defiles her in front of her frontier man, Nathaniel (who by the way is being restrained by the hundreds of half clothed warriors). Mr BBQ thrashes about trying to free himself from the huron leading him to their bonfire but does not prevail.
Ching and Uncas see what's happening but they remember Light Of The Moon is eagerly awaiting a good switching.
"Let's not keep her waiting, my son." Ching glances over his shoulder to find Uncas has disappeared. "Son?"
He scans the area and sees Uncas descending the steep slopes of the rugged terrain in a mad dash!
"Uncas! What about your white brother?"
"The last time he beat me to her! It won't happen again!"

I live in my own little world - but that's okay, they know me here!

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - March 12 2007 :  09:05:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

<snipped> Magua goes to the Happy Hunting Ground and Uncas gets to make the speech at the end. And since Alice is dead, you see him looking Cora over and thinking "All I have to do is turn Hawkeye over to the British . . . "

And if there's only ONE Munro daughter at the end of the film, the Sachem can't very well order Magua to burn one and marry the other. So I guess that means Duncan escapes the BBQ pit and, pretty PO'ed by the loss of Cora to Nathaniel, is primed and ready to take Hawkeye into custody. Voila! Uncas betrays Hawkeye to the British, represented by Duncan, and rides off into the sunset with Cora at his side.

It could work....

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - March 12 2007 :  09:22:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Light of the Moon

I don't like the falling down the waterfall scene as Uncas, Nathaniel, and Ching had survived it and would see our invalid school girl frantically splashing about and Uncas would have plunged back into the rapids to save her and voila! We are at the same disappointing finale.

Well have to disagree with you on this one. Firstly, the fall alone would be enough to kill Alice and the fact that she can't swim would not help either. Uncas and company would be well down river by the time she falls through the Falls so no hero to see what happened to her and jump in to attempt a rescue. Alice dies in the water probably from the fall but if that did not claim her weak life then she drowns and gets washed ashore.

IG

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - March 12 2007 :  9:30:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Light of the Moon

Well have to disagree with you on this one. Firstly, the fall alone would be enough to kill Alice and the fact that she can't swim would not help either. Uncas and company would be well down river by the time she falls through the Falls so no hero to see what happened to her and jump in to attempt a rescue. Alice dies in the water probably from the fall but if that did not claim her weak life then she drowns and gets washed ashore.

With our luck she'd survive anyway just to keep Uncas to herself. Still say break the neck!

Dark Woods
Colonial Settler

Light House
USA

May 18 2002

Donating Member

Posted - March 15 2007 :  7:56:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dark Woods's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
[/quote]
With our luck she'd survive anyway just to keep Uncas to herself. Still say break the neck!
[/quote]

I have to admire the strong feelings unleashed at anything or anyone standing between a Mohicanland lady and her man!

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - March 16 2007 :  3:08:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Woods

I have to admire the strong feelings unleashed at anything or anyone standing between a Mohicanland lady and her man!

There with you on that. Now...everyone here knows that Uncas is mine, right?
Oh, yeah...I forgot to mention my latest addition to my beautiful men collection...Hawkeye.
Yes he was won over by my superior wit and charm. I like to keep Uncas on my right arm, Ching on my left, and Hawkeye stands out in the front for a good rear view and protection.
Behind me are all the other NA men who are love struck by my mere presence and follow me everywhere in hopes of 5 precious seconds of my attention.

(I love it here in my own little world)

Dark Woods
Colonial Settler

Light House
USA

May 18 2002

Donating Member

Posted - May 29 2007 :  5:29:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dark Woods's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
A problem with saving Uncas is that Chingachgook would appear to no longer be the "Last of the Mohicans".

Here is the solution:

I can now reveal that Uncas was born out of an affair between Chingachgook and Alexandra Cameron's mother. Thus Uncas is Alexandra's half-brother, which explains his platonic tenderness towards her.

So Uncas can be saved, with Chingachgook remaining the last full-blooded Mohican, AKA the Last of the Mohicans.

So Light of the Moon can break the neck of Alice and prevent Uncas from foolishly sacrificing his life.

So everyone can get what they want (except for Alice!)....This reminds me of a line from the song Alice's Restaurant, but that is another story).

blackfootblood
Devoted Tribal Member

homecoming
USA

May 22 2007

Donating Member

Posted - May 29 2007 :  6:42:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
My solution to the Alice departure. In the beginning of the movie when they leave with Magua and are riding thru the woods, they cut to a very quick scene that shows a mountain lion hiding in the bushes. My theory is that they should of had the lion pounce on Alice tearing her to shreads and thus ridding us of the poor Alice character and getting on with the good stuff, i.e "Uncas". Simple solution to a simple problem!

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain!"

"Live well, love much, laugh often!"

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - May 29 2007 :  11:44:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hee hee. Good one, Blackfootblood. I can see the new script now:

CORA'S POV: FOREST CANOPY of trees is dark, except for spots where leaves are sparse, and there the light is golden. It's the forest of childhood. . . .

CORA: Alice?
[Alice rouses from fatigue.]
HEYWARD: Are you alright?
ALICE: Can we rest soon?
HEYWARD: Absolutely.
[Heyward rides to the front of the column to Magua, who's twenty to thirty yards ahead of everybody else. On the way, a fierce roar and a hideous screech are heard. Heyward turns to see what has happened. Cora sits dumbfounded on her horse as Alice's body is dragged into the forest by a huge mountain lion. So much for the "forest of childhood." Magua shakes his head. At least now they can go the two leagues for better water, with the weakling daughter of the "grey hair" dead. Now for the dark haired one and that arrogant twerp of an officer. . . .]
Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Stolen Women Captured Hearts Topic Next Topic: killdeer  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.48 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07