The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/11/2024 1:21:45 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 A New Name for Duncan
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page

Author Previous Topic: Magua Speaks Topic Next Topic: Uncas & Alice forever
Page: of 2

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
December 18 2004

Posted - December 18 2006 :  10:29:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
What is your favorite alternate name given to Duncan thus far?

Choices:

Roasty Toasty
Duncan Doughnuts
Mr. BBQ
Captain Crunch
Liar, Liar, Pants On Fire

I live in my own little world - but that's okay, they know me here!
report to moderator

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - December 18 2006 :  10:52:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hee hee. I like Duncan Donuts. If for no other reason than the awful pun involved. I do think "Captain Crunch" is wickedly funny too, though. Who thought of that one?
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - December 18 2006 :  12:23:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
They're all good! Poor Duncan; the guy had more working brain cells than the whole Brit general staff put together...unfortunately, having a Continental POV in the New World just didn't cut it.

Dancer
Pioneer

Chieftain
USA

November 29 2006

Posted - December 18 2006 :  6:38:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Capt Crunch does seem to fit him very well! He was in the royal army and did get a bit crispy at the end! Perfect!

"I teach the dance...the passion is yours to find."

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - December 18 2006 :  7:45:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Who thought of Captain Crunch?
That would be me.
I couldn't resist!

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - December 19 2006 :  07:24:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
There was an actual restaurant in Chimney Rock, at the base of the Huron Village, called "Duncan's BBQ"! Perhaps appropriately, it has since burned down. Not sure if it's been rebuilt.

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - December 19 2006 :  09:36:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well Duncan Donuts is my favorite although I like to call him BBQ boy.

IG

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - December 19 2006 :  10:23:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by richfed

There was an actual restaurant in Chimney Rock, at the base of the Huron Village, called "Duncan's BBQ"! Perhaps appropriately, it has since burned down. Not sure if it's been rebuilt.

That is too funny...wonder if those who built it was thinking along the same lines. How ironic Mr. BBQ and his restaurant both burned.

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - December 19 2006 :  11:26:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Did anyone shoot the restaurant while it was going up in flames?

Dancer
Pioneer

Chieftain
USA

November 29 2006

Posted - December 19 2006 :  1:02:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Obi you are too much!

"I teach the dance...the passion is yours to find."

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - December 20 2006 :  12:00:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Obediah

Did anyone shoot the restaurant while it was going up in flames?

Good one, Obi!
Almost choked on my soda!

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - December 20 2006 :  1:30:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Anyone know if Steve Waddington aka Duncan Donuts/Captain Crunch has ever been to a Gathering?? Wouldn't that be something? Sure stir things up. Wonder what he thinks of his character looking back some 14 years later.

IG

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - December 20 2006 :  1:44:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Irishgirl

Anyone know if Steve Waddington aka Duncan Donuts/Captain Crunch has ever been to a Gathering?? Wouldn't that be something? Sure stir things up.

Hmmm...that would be interesting. I think the only way he'd ever come to a Gathering would be if he'd never seen much of this website (present thread definitely included)!

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - December 20 2006 :  3:10:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
That's true Red, I thought along the same lines myself but you know everyone would be nice to him. It was just a character afterall although not one that most people liked. He would have some very tough questions to answer I think regarding Duncan's way of thinking about all matters.

IG

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - December 20 2006 :  3:47:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Too true.

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - December 21 2006 :  11:15:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Ya' know,
I'll just have to admit that Duncan's character as a whole made him appear to be a really nice guy but his deceptive side destroys his appeal. But lying does that to anyone really.

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - December 21 2006 :  11:18:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Really. Well to me he just came across as a big "bore". I don't think hanging out with Donuts would be any fun. No wonder Cora didn't want anything to do with him. With Hawkeye her life would never be dull but with Duncan, just a big yawn. She would have died of boredom I fear.

IG

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - December 21 2006 :  11:33:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Maybe.

But back in the day he was the more favorable man for Cora and I'm sure many people expected it, not only friends in the militia but her pa' as well.
So she really broke the rules on that one!
Boredom...I think so...quilting, cross-stitching, sitting around on your duff all day gossiping with the other ole' pea hens, learning to sing and play a harpsicord

Yep...straight to the grave!

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - December 21 2006 :  11:36:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Having to "play with Duncan" would be enough to send me to the grave...Yuck.

IG

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - December 21 2006 :  12:37:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Irishgirl

Having to "play with Duncan" would be enough to send me to the grave...Yuck.

Laughed out loud at this one, I did. Funny funny, IG!

Though (dare I say it on this board? ) I actually don't think he's all that bad. And maybe a life of cross-stitching and harpsichord-playing wouldn't be too terrible either...as long as I could be like the heroine of a totally different, completely unrelated story: Elizabeth Bennett, of course! Genteel yet outspoken and free-willed.

Sorry. That kind of came out of left field. I think I've read too much Jane Austen.

This is what happens when two obsessions collide.

Lotte
Pathfinder

United Kingdom

August 08 2006

Posted - December 21 2006 :  1:40:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
[/quote]
And maybe a life of cross-stitching and harpsichord-playing wouldn't be too terrible either...as long as I could be like the heroine of a totally different, completely unrelated story: Elizabeth Bennett, of course! Genteel yet outspoken and free-willed.
[/quote]

Cross-stitching and harpsichord playing would be a small price to pay indeed if you were married to someone like Mr. Darcy. Although seeing as Elizabeth was so stubborn I doubt that once she was married she would do things she didn't like. Plus even if you did get bored with Mr. Darcy you'd have the beautiful grounds of Pemberley. Sign me up lol!

Have to admit though, I'd pick Hawkeye over Duncan Donuts any day.

"The whole world's on fire, isn't it?"

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - December 21 2006 :  1:43:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Think I'll have to get me that movie and see what all the "fuss" is about. Does Colin Firth play Mr Darcy? I think I read that he did someplace on this board by Red. Anyways, I loved him in the Bridget Jones movies. So cute.

IG

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - December 21 2006 :  1:48:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Lotte

Have to admit though, I'd pick Hawkeye over Duncan Donuts any day.

Wouldn't we all I think Donuts and the old hag who helps the Sachem sit down, would make a cute couple

IG

Lotte
Pathfinder

United Kingdom

August 08 2006

Posted - December 21 2006 :  1:54:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yeah, the Bridget Jones movies are fab. Colin Firth plays Mr. Darcy in the BBC adaptation not the one with Keira Knightley in. Both films are good but Colin Firth plays Mr. Darcy better. I like the BBC one more but that's probs just because of the pond scene lol! He's not as hot as Uncas but gorgeous in a different kind of way.

"The whole world's on fire, isn't it?"

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - December 21 2006 :  3:37:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by RedFraggle

[quote]And maybe a life of cross-stitching and harpsichord-playing wouldn't be too terrible either...as long as I could be like the heroine of a totally different, completely unrelated story: Elizabeth Bennett, of course! Genteel yet outspoken and free-willed.

Sorry. That kind of came out of left field. I think I've read too much Jane Austen.

Jane Ausin! I love Jane Austin! For Christmas last year my parents bought me a 3 part novel w/her ever popular Pride & Prejudice, Emily, and Sense & Sensibility.
I knew we got a long real good for a reason!

As for Mr. Darcy he came off extremely snobbish in the beginning but it did become his charasmatic character. I'd rather settle with Mr. Bingley though. In spite of all that I'd still trade that life for a rough and tough NA man anyday!
I could see it now...landing at Plymouth and loosing all common sense at the first sight of them! I'd skip around all day singing, "Which one, which one?"

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - January 09 2007 :  12:35:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by RedFraggle

[quote]And maybe a life of cross-stitching and harpsichord-playing wouldn't be too terrible either[/red]

Back to this subject...it reminded me of a conversation my mother and I had once about living back in that time. She said she would have prefered a life as a royal because she would have no worries about money, clothes, persecution, food, formal dances and such. That didn't suprise me really, it becomes her character.
I chose to be the village wench.

Actually, I chose to be a poor commoner. Even though life would be extremely difficult and short lived (as most lives were) I can just see myself living on my own. I think I wouldn't have stay anywhere in the town. I'd build a small shack, cabin, whatever out in the countryside. Close enough to go to town but far enough to enjoy nature. I told her I could see people sitting around a fire at night, playing joyous music and dancing with food and down to earth fun just because you're grateful for what you have. Even though your blood, sweat, and tears were sometimes all you had; you also had a connection to the land you worked, to the home you lived in...a solid sense of who you are.
She thought I was crazy.
No political curruption, being told who you are, how you dress, how you dance, where to be, who to marry.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Magua Speaks Topic Next Topic: Uncas & Alice forever  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.58 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07