The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/7/2024 3:29:32 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 If Uncas and Alice survived?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page

Author Previous Topic: Erics Native Language Topic Next Topic: Were the bodies visible at all?
Page: of 3

eilan86
Pathfinder

Alice
Italy

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
November 14 2006

Posted - November 14 2006 :  04:59:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
What would happen if Uncas and Alice had survived?

Choices:

They get married
Alice come back to England even without her sister
Alice stay in America but doesn’t marry Uncas

report to moderator

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - November 14 2006 :  07:34:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hey, good question, eilan86! I'll start off the discussion.

I voted for Alice's staying in America but not marrying Uncas. I think that she may be attracted to Uncas during her ordeal in the wilderness, but I can't see her marrying him. Can you imagine our "invalid schoolgirl" Alice tending a frontier cabin, dressing out the game Uncas brings home for dinner, and living without any of the comforts of her rather sheltered life? Sounds like the makings of a bad reality show to me....

As far going back to England without Cora goes, I just can't see Alice saying "Screw you guys, I'm going home." I think she's too dependent on her sister to do that, especially now that her father and Duncan aren't around anymore.

Ultimately, I guess I can see Alice staying in America but retreating to someplace like Albany, where there is still a military presence--she's a soldier's daughter, after all--but she's not in the midst of the war on the frontier. Maybe in time she'd meet a nice, slightly stuffy officer like Duncan who could provide her with the same type of genteel lifestyle she's used to.

Anyone else
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - November 14 2006 :  09:24:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well I believe that Alice would have gone back to live in jolly old England even without her sister. She was brought up as a Lady and I could not see her roughing it by staying in some cabin in the wilderness with Cora and Hawkeye and she would certainly find no "gentlemen" as she knows them, to marry in the wilderness. Alice and Uncas were brought together by their circumstances and did "bond" to a certain extent but I could not see anything more coming from it. They would definitely not marry. Can you imagine Uncas marrying a "white English woman" who basically does not know how to do anything. Never happen I say. He was smitten with Alice alright because she was unlike any other woman he had ever seen and he was drawn to her childlike innocence. Had he actually had time to spend with her they would have realized that they had very little in common and came from too different worlds. Just my take. Good question although some similar thread already exists on the board.

IG

MeggieD
Colonial Settler

Megs Avatar
USA

January 23 2006

Posted - November 14 2006 :  10:36:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Again, you and I think alike IG....I totally agree with you.

Uncas: "some food"

Lotte
Pathfinder

United Kingdom

August 08 2006

Posted - November 14 2006 :  12:12:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I voted for Alice going back to England even without her sister. Whilst I do think that Uncas and Alice had feelings for each other, like Redfraggle and IG said, they would have realised that they were completely wrong together. After losing her father, I reckon that Alice would have come back to England to live with relatives, perhaps cousin Eugenie? I don't think Alice would stay in the country where she saw so much bloodshed. She wouldn't be with Cora, so even if she stayed in somewhere like Albany, she'd probably still feel unsafe.

Lotte

"The whole world's on fire, isn't it?"

eilan86
Pathfinder

Alice
Italy

November 14 2006

Posted - November 15 2006 :  08:35:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thank you for answering to my poll!
I'm sorry but I'm an incurable romantic! Though in part I agree with you about the differences between Uncas and Alice, I think(or at least hope)their love is stronger than their different races and way of thought. I think Alice would've marry Uncas, and maybe in time she would've become accustomed to wilderness's life.
Anyone agree with me?
Wonderful posts anyway!

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - November 15 2006 :  09:29:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Sorry eilan86 I forgot to welcome you to the board. Great to have new blood on here with fresh questions for us to ponder especially ones regarding a certain Indian .

I just don't think Alice had what it takes to survive out there even with Uncas as her "protector". She grew up being pampered and was too naieve about the ways of the world although she did have her eyes opened in a big way with the events that unfolded.

Now me and Uncas in a little shack in the wilderness the sparks would be a flying alright.

IG

eilan86
Pathfinder

Alice
Italy

November 14 2006

Posted - November 15 2006 :  11:25:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thank you for the welcome!

I agree with you about the "certain" indian! I fell in love with him the first time I watched the movie! In a sense I'm a little jealous of Alice!!
Anyway I stay with my opinion...
There's another thing I don't understand:
after the waterfall scene Alice has a braid in her hair that seems to appears from nowhere...
What is the meaning of it?
Do you hace any idea?

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - November 15 2006 :  12:23:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well you must know of the "secret" Alice/Uncas love scene that was supposedly deleted. They are supposed to have had a little tryst of sorts under the Falls. Some on the board like to speculate that after they "made love" Uncas put the braid in Alice's hair for whatever reason. Can't you just imagine Uncas braiding Alice's hair....Oh my.....Well for whatever reason it does "magically" appear after from nowhere. If only we could see the deleted scene and put all this speculation to rest. Hope this helps. If you care to check there is a previous thread discussing the mysterious braid and where it may have come from.

IG

eilan86
Pathfinder

Alice
Italy

November 14 2006

Posted - November 16 2006 :  03:15:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yes I heard about the love scene, and all the discussion about.
Maybe Mann wanted to let in the movie just a little "trace" of what might be happen under the falls!

Anyway I prefer Uncas and Alice's love to be subtle as it is. It makes it more romantic and sad too!

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - November 16 2006 :  9:08:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I just couldn't pass up the "Alice stays but doesn't marry Uncas." The only reason I voted this way was because she knew I loved him more than anyone on the planet. So she graciously steps aside and let a REAL thing happen!

By the way, Hi eilan! Welcome to our humble home.

I live in my own little world - but that's okay, they know me here!

eilan86
Pathfinder

Alice
Italy

November 14 2006

Posted - November 17 2006 :  02:53:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
So wea are all Uncas' fans on this board!
What a wonderful man!

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - November 17 2006 :  08:08:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I think I'm changing my mind on this one. I originally said Alice would stay in America, but now I'm thinking there's no way. I don't think she'd be able to deal very well with Cora's new lifestyle, and she'd certainly not go live in a frontier cabin with her and Hawkeye!

Everyone else's posts have convinced me that she'd go back to England, even without Cora. Maybe, like Lotte said, she'd stay with cousin Eugenie, who would find her a "suitable" husband among London society folk.

Then perhaps, to rip off some of the last lines of Ivanhoe, "it would be inquiring too curiously to ask whether the recollection of [Uncas's] beauty and magnanimity did not recur to [Alice's] mind more frequently than [a huband] might altogether have approved."

Sorry...I'm a .

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - November 20 2006 :  10:56:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Nah, don't think so. Actually I'm quite impressed with your literary knowledge. Pretty cool!

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - November 21 2006 :  07:54:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thanks, Light!

I think those lines (pirated though they may be!) can be applied pretty well to LOTM. I mean, "beauty" is certainly a quality of Uncas , and I think "magnanimity" counts too. As for Alice, how could she not spend some of her days pining after Uncas? I think a lot of people here on the board do!

Didn't mean to kill the thread, guys! Sorry!

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - November 23 2006 :  11:37:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by RedFraggle

Thanks, Light!

I think those lines (pirated though they may be!) can be applied pretty well to LOTM. I mean, "beauty" is certainly a quality of Uncas , and I think "magnanimity" counts too. As for Alice, how could she not spend some of her days pining after Uncas? I think a lot of people here on the board do!

Didn't mean to kill the thread, guys! Sorry!

Hey, we have more in common than I thought Red!
We can both single handedly kill a thread!
Oh the power!!! <<sinicle laughter>> How can we bear it!!!

Dancer
Pioneer

Chieftain
USA

November 29 2006

Posted - November 29 2006 :  5:34:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I voted for them getting married. I have always thought they had a powerful love and I still do. Besides, we can choose what we want the "what if" endings to be like and that would have been my choice for their ending!

"I teach the dance...the passion is yours to find."

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - November 30 2006 :  1:12:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Welcome Dancer and nice to have you join the board. Hope to see lots more interesting posts from you. Would have been a nice ending instead of what happened both of them lying at the bottom of a cliff dead.

IG

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - November 30 2006 :  8:16:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yes! Welcome, Dancer!

Glad to see another newbie around. I only joined up last month. Look forward to hearing from you some more.

--RedFraggle

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - November 30 2006 :  8:53:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I know I just posted something, but OMG! I just finished reading parts of the original script for "LOTM" and I'm SOOO glad the love scene between Uncas and Alice was left out.

I mean, really: she holds him "as if he were a prince in a romantic fantasy" and "in the passion of despair and fear and wanting life, she holds him between her thighs"?

I much prefer the longing looks and unsatisfied passions of the current version. I think an under the falls "love" scene would have cheapened their romance. But maybe that's just me...anyone else Just curious! Not trying to be a perv.

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - December 01 2006 :  12:49:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by eilan86

NOT!!!

eilan86
Pathfinder

Alice
Italy

November 14 2006

Posted - December 01 2006 :  03:29:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
So you prefer Hawkeye? I'm joking of course! Anyway I want to welcome Dancer! I totally agree with wath you said!!
Uncas&Alice forever!!

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - December 02 2006 :  9:36:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well I would have liked to see a little more interaction between the characters of Uncas and Alice other than Uncas's longing looks in her direction. I don't think they ever spoke at all other than when Uncas whispered something in her ear at the burial ground and pulled her down to the ground so they would not be seen. If they could have had a little kiss at least under the Falls when Uncas rocked her that would have been nice. Not sure if making "whoopee" would have been appropriate just then since Magua was on his way but the kiss would have been a nice touch. Amazing how many think they would have married. I still think they came from such different worlds that they would have gone their separate ways if they had survived their ordeal with Magua. Alice seemed so young and naieve and just not right for our brave young warrior. He deserved a strong woman not a little girl. Just my opinion.

IG

eilan86
Pathfinder

Alice
Italy

November 14 2006

Posted - December 04 2006 :  09:33:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I respect your opinion Irishgirl...very interesting! I agree with you about the kiss under the falls...I hope Mann will produce another DVD version in wich is added the kiss scene!

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - December 08 2006 :  12:32:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Obediah

quote:

NOT!!!

quote:

So you prefer Hawkeye?

Nice Shot Elaine!!!
Poor Obi! We females got another quick-witted sister on board!
Hope you can take it, Man!

Dark Woods
Colonial Settler

Light House
USA

May 18 2002

Donating Member

Posted - December 09 2006 :  10:16:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dark Woods's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

Thank you for the welcome!

I agree with you about the "certain" indian! I fell in love with him the first time I watched the movie! In a sense I'm a little jealous of Alice!!
Anyway I stay with my opinion...
There's another thing I don't understand:
after the waterfall scene Alice has a braid in her hair that seems to appears from nowhere...
What is the meaning of it?
Do you hace any idea?

Welcom eilan86! For a detailed discussion of the braid, here is a link within the Mohicanpress forum. http://www.mohicanpress.com/messageboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3645&whichpage=1&SearchTerms=,braid

We become what we think about.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic: Erics Native Language Topic Next Topic: Were the bodies visible at all?  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.81 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07