The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/5/2024 7:36:30 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 MOHICANLAND: Community
 Bunkhouse Banter!
 Wine making
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Thought for the day...sort of Topic Next Topic: Birthday Greetings Paazau  

Theresa
Bumppo's Tavern Proprietress

Theresa
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 17 2002

Posted - September 18 2006 :  07:22:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Claude and I are venturing into making wine. We had a bumper crop of muscadines this year and decided to give it a go. Our neighbors, who participate in re-enacting down at Fort Toulouse, make it and shared their recipe. We're seven days into the process and Wednesday we will strain it and add more ingredients. It's been fun to "hear" it ferment. I'll keep you posted.

Theresa
report to moderator

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - September 18 2006 :  08:25:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Theresa, you're bringing back memories for me.

Back in the 70s, when I still lived in the beautiful Willamette Valley in Oregon, my husband and I were involved in the fledgling wine industry in that area. We tried our hand at making some homemade wine, with pretty fair results. We also went so far as to purchase some land in the nearby foothills and planted an acre of pinot noir grapes. Unfortunately, our dreams of having a vineyard and winery did not work out, but the wine industry there has grown by leaps and bounds. One of our good friends there has won awards in Europe for his wines. He is Myron Redford of Amity Vineyards. www.amityvineyards.com

Good luck with your wine!

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - September 19 2006 :  07:16:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I volunteer for a taste test!!

Theresa

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - September 19 2006 :  07:47:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by richfed

I volunteer for a taste test!!

Ok...but you'll have to stand in line! Let's just hope it turns out to be wine and not vinegar!! YIKES!

Theresa

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - September 19 2006 :  10:25:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Will it be ready by Frontier Days? Nov. 1, you know.

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"

Batawana
Pioneer

The Kiss 2
USA

April 03 2006

Donating Member

Posted - September 19 2006 :  4:50:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hello all...this is off the subject of wine making...but tonight there is a memorial service for Steve Irwin on Animal Planet...9 east; 8 cent. Just thought I would remind all.

Carolyn B

Karen W
Colonial Settler

Hair Feathers
USA

June 04 2002

Donating Member

Posted - September 19 2006 :  7:56:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi Carolyn. Thanks for the info about the memorial for Steve Irwin. I knew there was going to be a memorial for him today but hadn't realized that it would be televised this evening. I still get sad when I realize again that he is gone.
Karen

PS Theresa, good luck to you and Claude with your new venture!! I think of you guys often.

Theresa

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - September 20 2006 :  07:23:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Fitzhugh Williams

Will it be ready by Frontier Days? Nov. 1, you know.

Hey Fitz...Claude seems to think it should be ready around Christmas. Speaking of "Frontier Days"...are you coming?

Theresa

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - September 20 2006 :  08:42:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I've been registered for some time now. Ned Jenkins started asking for sign-ups early this year. It's always a good time, even with the thousands of kiddies. Just have to keep a low profile and wait for Saturday.

Theresa

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - September 22 2006 :  07:28:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Fitzhugh Williams

I've been registered for some time now. Ned Jenkins started asking for sign-ups early this year. It's always a good time, even with the thousands of kiddies. Just have to keep a low profile and wait for Saturday.

We may try to make it...Claude has been working every Saturday lately but maybe he could take one day to just have fun. It's a great event!

Theresa

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - September 22 2006 :  09:35:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
It's even better at night after the crowd leaves. Guys like Ned, François, Bill McKnight, and all the Savauge really help make the event what it is. The thing that makes this a little different is that there is a public camping area which is a part of the site, so even if you are not in 18th century dress, you can hang around the site after hours. Not so in other places.

Theresa

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - November 26 2006 :  09:23:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
IT'S WINE!!! Welp...we've tasted it, bottled and corked it. I must admit it's quite tasty. We've only bottled 12 but there's enough to bottle 12 more so it's off to the Wine Supply Store in a small nearby community in the next day or so.

We made two types...one with the peeling still on, which is more of an amber-looking liquid and one without the peeling, which has more of a golden look to it. The amber-looking one is clear and very pretty to look at, which we don't plan to do much of! The other has a more "thickness" look to it. The amber-looking one tastes a bit more fruity than the other, although both are quite smooth.

We've learned a lot about this process and if there's a bumper crop next year like we had this time, we'll tweak the endeavor a bit to try to improve upon it.

It's been fun.

Theresa

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - November 26 2006 :  11:15:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
That's exciting, Theresa!

Here in NC I have a friend who makes a different home brew every semester. I think he's going to have a chianti ready for Christmas. He usually gives bottles of his wine as gifts...mmm mmm!

Have you thought about entering your wine in any competitions? In NC there are any number of fairs and contests for independent wine makers. Maybe there are where you live too? Just curious!

Theresa

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - November 26 2006 :  2:33:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by RedFraggle

That's exciting, Theresa!

Here in NC I have a friend who makes a different home brew every semester. I think he's going to have a chianti ready for Christmas. He usually gives bottles of his wine as gifts...mmm mmm!

Have you thought about entering your wine in any competitions? In NC there are any number of fairs and contests for independent wine makers. Maybe there are where you live too? Just curious!

Hey Fraggle...I don't know if there are any competitions around these parts for independent wine makers, in fact, I've never heard of that but I'll do some checking around to see. Even so, I'm not sure I'd be so brave as to enter ours, especially since it's our very first time in doing this. We've got a few family members that we plan to give a bottle or two as Christmas gifts.

BTW, for those of you who know Claude, he did the ciphoning and I must admit there was pause for concern that he'd develop a state of drunkeness before it was over...he had a hard time getting it going...or so he says...and had to try over and over again

Theresa
  Previous Topic: Thought for the day...sort of Topic Next Topic: Birthday Greetings Paazau  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.38 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07