The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/2/2024 11:37:08 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 COLONIAL TIMES
 The Muster
 The Journal of Lt. Col. John Armstrong, Kittanning 250th Commemoration
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Back to Kittanning Topic Next Topic: Save The Fort Pitt Music Bastion  

Seamus
Guardian of Heaven's Gate

Skull 2
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 19 2002

Posted - September 13 2006 :  2:04:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Journal of Lt. Col. John Armstrong
~~~~~~~~~~
The 250th Anniversary Commemoration of
The Attack on the Delaware Indian Village
Of Kittanning
September 8, 1756
~~~~~~~~~~
August ye 30th to September ye 8th, 1756
August ye 27th to September ye 10th, 2006

August ye 27th

To Lt. Gov. Robert Morris:

Sir,

In preparation for the proposed March on ye villages of Captain Jacobs and Shingas, called Kit Han Ne, or Kittanning, which is located on the Allegheny River 40 miles, more or less, above Fort Duquesne, I traveled from the Forks of the Susquehanna to Fort Shirley, at Aughwick, this day to meet with Chief Scout Edward Savage in finalizing plans for said March. In doing so, I passed the site of Fort Granville, attacked and burnt on ye 1st of August, with the unfortunate loss of my dear brother, Edward. My heart sank as I viewed the charred remains of the fort, and I lamented my personal loss. This experience has steeled my resolve even deeper to be successful in our raid on Kittanning, not only for myself, but for the Sundry Citizenry who have suffered at the hands of these vicious Scoundrels.

Scout Savage informed me at that time that the numbers of recruits was not what we had expected and that we would, by necessity, be obliged to modify our original plan. After listening to his information, I concurred that our best interests would be served by effecting the modifications as proposed.

We were met by a delegation of the citizens of Aughwick who were inquisitive of our designs, and, to put their minds at ease, we engaged upon an explanation of our intentions, and yours, Sir, to come to their aid and assistance, which efforts were well received.

The weather was exceedingly bad. Rain fell constantly and rendered the grounds flooded to the point where it was decided that a better place for an overnight stay was to be had.

Not having had sustenance since early in the day, Scout Savage and I retired to a fine dinner of beef, vegetable, &c., served up by a very accommodating host at a nearby Roadhouse. The Wench who waited upon us was a delightful Sprite, which made our meal that much more enjoyable!

The hour being late, along with the heavy fog and rain, caused me to consider foregoing the return to the Forks of the Susquehanna until daylight. I was able to secure lodging at Squire Day’s Inn and set out for my return trip shortly after daylight. Although the fog still hung low in places, the rains had mostly ceased, and the journey was completed without incident.

On the morrow, Scout Savage will continue his recruitment along the Juniata and will scout locations we discussed for encamping along the trail to Kittanning. He will be assuring the citizenry along the way that Your Excellency has, indeed, heard their pleas for protection, and that something is being done about it.

It is my intention to join him at the Beaver Dams on the 1st inst., and to continue our march on Kittanning.

Being most sincerely,
My dear sir,
Your most sincere friend and
Obet humble servt,

Jno Armstrong
Lt. Col.
2nd Battalion Pennsylvania Regt of Foot

****************************************************************************************
August ye 28th Camp on the Juniata

To Lt. Col. Jno Armstrong
Carlisle camp

Sir,

I have this night fulfilled your orders to proceed along this waterway to the settlements and seek out able bodied men to join us on the Expedition lately authorized by the Lt. Gov. and the Board of Commissioners. However, my efforts were largely in vain, as the Citizenry was not to be found, with the exception of one man who was fishing in the River. He informed me that much announcement had been made concerning our Recruiting desires, and I was able to find a poster indicating the same. I have secured it for your perusal.

I made note of the abundance of game in this vicinity, particularly ducks and rabbit. I have no doubt that, snared properly, they will make fine addi

Life's journey is not to
arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting
'...holy sh*t ...what a ride!'

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

~~Aim small, hit the b*****d right between the eyes!~~
report to moderator

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - September 13 2006 :  7:11:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
With names like Wallowing Cow, Gaps in Her Teeth, Sagging Chest, one does not get a pretty visual. Edward Savage was a brave man indeed!

I was looking at the roster of Virginia soldiers at Fort Necessity and came across the name of Capt. Peter Hogg and wondered if it could be the same person as Lieutenant Hog. But then there were Mercers at Necessity , and a Savage, who are not the same people. It would be interesting to know what happened to all the men who were at Fort Necessity.

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Seamus

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - September 13 2006 :  7:29:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well, Fitz, they were NOT pretty women!

No, I don't think James and Peter Hogg are one and the same. We had a milkman when I was a kid in Kittanning named Hamilton Hogg. Yep, Ham Hogg! No relation there either, obviously!

Life's journey is not to

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

felicitysgramma
Pathfinder

USA

September 11 2006

Posted - September 13 2006 :  8:19:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit felicitysgramma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Fitzhugh Williams

With names like Wallowing Cow, Gaps in Her Teeth, Sagging Chest, one does not get a pretty visual. Edward Savage was a brave man indeed!

What worried me is that I thought he was saying I'd been there three times.

“Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.” - Benjamin Franklin

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - September 13 2006 :  8:22:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Wow!!!! What can I say, other than Huzzah to LTC. Armstrong (aka Seamus)!!! Thank you for painting such exciting scenes of daring deeds,unknown outcomes, perilous dangers and wonderfully human characters. I really wish I could have been there, so that I could have been amongst the dense powder smoke, the shouts, explosions and weapon reports of the final battle. It would have been the "icing on the cake", so to speak, of a very thrilling recreation of a very important event. Even the march to the target would have been one of total immersion for me, since I could just imagine following the forest-darkened trail, wondering what would await Pennsylvania's brave sons, and hoping to recovered lost loved ones...

Seamus my friend, you have really outdone yourself, and I eagerly await the pictures to compliment such a wonderful, and very realistic, anniversary event.

YMH&OS,
Duncan

Serjeant-Major Duncan Munro
Capt. Thos. Graham's Coy.
42nd Royal Highland Regiment of Foote
(The Black Sheep of the Black Watch)

"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
-Or-
"Recruit locally, fight globally."

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - September 13 2006 :  8:37:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Welcome aboard "felicitygramma, - you have a great sense of humor. I'm assuming you were kiddin' - right? ... ;)

you can keep "The Change"

Seamus

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - September 13 2006 :  9:28:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thank you, Duncan, for your kind comments. I, too, am sorry you could not have been a part of it. I know you would have enjoyed it immensely. It is very hard to describe the feeling to those who have not experienced it, but it is my hope that perhaps my narrative will give some idea of the event.

One of the Indians 'sleeping in the cornfield' told me he never heard us approach, and when he looked up to see where we were, the sight of us 30 feet from him gave him an electric jolt and startled him. He said his legs 'froze' and he could not get up and run until our second fire! Then, he said, he was motivated!

Life's journey is not to

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

felicitysgramma
Pathfinder

USA

September 11 2006

Posted - September 13 2006 :  10:39:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit felicitysgramma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Monadnock Guide

Welcome aboard "felicitygramma, - you have a great sense of humor. I'm assuming you were kiddin' - right? ... ;)

Heh - thinking about a change of moniker to Wallowing Cow. I kinda like it. MG, I'm actually returning to the board - was here about two computers ago, checked in as a lurker from time to time, just re-upped.

I promise, I'll get back on topic. I'm in the process of uploading some photos from Kittanning to an online album, just having fits getting it all in chronological order.

“Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.” - Benjamin Franklin

felicitysgramma
Pathfinder

USA

September 11 2006

Posted - September 17 2006 :  9:50:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit felicitysgramma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Got my pictures from Kittanning uploaded: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kaymartz/. Best to click on the Sets that run down the right side, otherwise things are in reverse chronological order. And I've still been too busy to get back to titling the shots, so most have no explanation. I think those here will have a good sense of what's going on, though.

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - September 18 2006 :  07:11:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Excellent photos, - and yes that is was called a "rainy day" alright. ;)

you can keep "The Change"

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - September 18 2006 :  08:14:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Kay did an excellent job with those photos, didn't she? And yet, beautiful as they are, those photos just can't quite do "the play" justice! Ya just had ta be there!

Yes, we felt very sorry for those folks who had set up their camp on the infield of the baseball field, as we sat nearby under our fly watching "Lake Kittanning" slowly rise like a great moat around them. We were also amazed that their camp/cooking fire managed to keep right on burning through the rain, until they were finished cooking their breakfast! A-a-a-a-a-h-h-h-h.... the re-enacting life! You take it all!

Fortunately, the storms passed on by and about mid-morning the sun was coming out and steam was rising off of "Lake Kittanning", as well as off of many wool-clad soldiers, and we were ready to go to the Blanket Hill Remembrance Ceremony.

And the people came, which just goes to prove once again: "If you build it (an Indian village), they will come."

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - September 18 2006 :  08:57:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Awesome photos! Makes me want to start reenacting again...sadly, here in Calif. all we seem to have is Civil War (been there, done that, got the t-shirt) and WWII (I'd make a 'fine young Nazi'). Unfortunately, nothing with flinchlocks.
  Previous Topic: Back to Kittanning Topic Next Topic: Save The Fort Pitt Music Bastion  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.44 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07