The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/8/2024 9:23:01 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 Alice
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Dating Mohicans Poll Topic Next Topic: LOTM  on Tv in the UK  

kymmi78
Lost in the Wilderness

USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
August 09 2006

Posted - August 11 2006 :  8:10:09 PM  Show Profile  Send kymmi78 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I've read a lot of posts regarding Alice being weak, frail, etc. At first I agreed. When Cora was defending Alice and that Indian turned on Cora and was about to kill her, Alice just sat on the ground and did nothing to help Cora. When Uncas was being slaughtered on the rocks, she didn't put up much of a fight to try to attack Magua and save Uncas. Most of the movie she did just sit or stand with her mouth open in shock. But after thinking about it, I would have to say that most people in that situation would probably have reacted the same. Think about now, how would you react if over night someone dumped you and 2 other people that you knew off in the Middle East, right smack in the middle of the war!! Being somewhere you weren't familiar with and everyone looked at you as an enemey and wanted to kill you. After all, remember all the news footage of that horrible day on Sept. 11th in NY. I remember people in the streets crying or standing with their mouths open in shock. I think Alice was in shock throughout most of the movie. Anyway, just wanted to get other peoples views on this topic. Everyone's opinion is different and counts!!
report to moderator

Dark Woods
Colonial Settler

Light House
USA

May 18 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 15 2006 :  5:03:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dark Woods's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
You make some excellent points.

While many of us like to imagine acting heroic in an unexpected, perilous situation, the reality is that sometimes people go into a kind of shock. Many people would act like Alice acted.

Now if every character in LOTM acted like Alice, there would be a lot less action. We tend to gravitate to the active characters.

We become what we think about.
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Lady of Glencairn
Colonial Settler

Prison Break - Sara Tancredi
South Africa

May 29 2004

Posted - August 18 2006 :  05:30:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lady of Glencairn's Homepage  Click to see Lady of Glencairn's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Woods

You make some excellent points.

While many of us like to imagine acting heroic in an unexpected, perilous situation, the reality is that sometimes people go into a kind of shock. Many people would act like Alice acted.

Now if every character in LOTM acted like Alice, there would be a lot less action. We tend to gravitate to the active characters.

True true ... though, if all the characters acted like Alice I think there wouldnt be ANY movie ...

Lady of Glencairn
"Love is the triumph of imagination over intelligence" - H.L. Mencken

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - August 18 2006 :  12:15:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Point made! At last! Someone who doesn't see Alice as a invalid school girl! Thank you, Kymmi!
And you're right most of us would freak out being stuck in the middle of the war.
But then again...there are those crazy ones (me included) who would be killing the nearest person just to get a gun, THEN I'd run for shelter and snipe from afar!
Just thinking, I'd rather die fighting than staring!
Although if you add Uncas to the mix, staring might have been the only thing I could have done!!
At least I could die with the memory of his handsome face forever embedding in my soul!

I live in my own little world - but that's okay, they know me here!

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - August 19 2006 :  10:13:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well if it was me, I would just have been content to stick to Uncas like glue and let this big handsome, stud of a man, protect me. Alice should never have left his side after their supposed "dealings" in the cave. Heck, he would have had to jump through the Falls with me attached to his back. If I died at least I would have died with this gorgeous specimen of manhood.

IG

raindrops
Colonial Settler

United Kingdom

March 25 2006

Posted - August 19 2006 :  4:39:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Light of the Moon
Although if you add Uncas to the mix, staring might have been the only thing I could have done!!

Great point Light of the Moon!!

Being in such close proximity to Uncas I would have looked just like Alice did.. With just a bit more dreamy expression that is. And war..? What war???

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - August 19 2006 :  10:40:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Irishgirl

Well if it was me, I would just have been content to stick to Uncas like glue and let this big handsome, stud of a man, protect me. Alice should never have left his side after their supposed "dealings" in the cave. Heck, he would have had to jump through the Falls with me attached to his back. If I died at least I would have died with this gorgeous specimen of manhood.

Hello, Irishgirl. Sounds like you're not willing to take the chances of loosing a good thing...Not that I blame you, because if you did...he'd be allll mine!

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - August 27 2006 :  11:03:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by raindrops
Being in such close proximity to Uncas I would have looked just like Alice did.. With just a bit more dreamy expression that is. And war..? What war???

Yeah, Uncas does kinda' block out reality doesn't he?

Lady of Glencairn
Colonial Settler

South Africa

May 29 2004

Posted - August 28 2006 :  07:14:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lady of Glencairn's Homepage  Click to see Lady of Glencairn's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Irishgirl

Now why am I not at all surprised by your response??

Lady of Glencairn

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - August 28 2006 :  1:13:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
When you find a good thing don't let it get away that's my motto.

IG

Lady of Glencairn
Colonial Settler

South Africa

May 29 2004

Posted - August 29 2006 :  03:59:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lady of Glencairn's Homepage  Click to see Lady of Glencairn's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
And youre sooooooo right! Just imagine the HUGE cat fight if the man ever mande himself available to re-enact your every fantasy ...

Lady of Glencairn

TBug
Pathfinder

USA

August 16 2006

Posted - August 29 2006 :  5:01:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Uhm... are you saying that there are actually men as gorgeous as Uncas in the middle east just waiting to fall in love with me and ravish me underneath a waterfall?!?!?!?!?

*TBug walks away mumbling to herself* "I wonder how I would look in a burka?"

Lady of Glencairn
Colonial Settler

South Africa

May 29 2004

Posted - August 30 2006 :  03:52:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lady of Glencairn's Homepage  Click to see Lady of Glencairn's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Middle East?? Well, from what I hear there are some real hotties in the middle east ... dont think I could stand the heat there though ... but if there were waterfalls around, why the hell not?? LOL

Lady of Glencairn

TBug
Pathfinder

USA

August 16 2006

Posted - August 30 2006 :  4:12:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I was refering to the first post by kymmi:

quote:
Think about now, how would you react if over night someone dumped you and 2 other people that you knew off in the Middle East, right smack in the middle of the war!! Being somewhere you weren't familiar with and everyone looked at you as an enemey and wanted to kill you.

And as for the heat? Hell I've lived in Texas all my life, there ain't much about heat that I DON'T know, lol. We have two seasons - spring and hotter than hell the other 9 months of the year.

Lady of Glencairn
Colonial Settler

South Africa

May 29 2004

Posted - August 31 2006 :  08:19:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lady of Glencairn's Homepage  Click to see Lady of Glencairn's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well I know a thing or two about heat as well ... the summer months here can be really really hot!!

Lady of Glencairn

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - September 02 2006 :  11:27:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hey LG...you had me laughing!
Perhaps the "Uncas" circle is getting more and more predictable.
If I remember correctly you were down the waller' with us in the Catching Uncas thread! What the who! All in all, we love you girl!

And you are right, there are men in the ME that are worth an eye-popper. I knew this guy from Phalistine, woooooo! He was a real looker!
We became good friends and it was interesting to learn in his culture arranged marriages are still done from birth! Pretty cool tidbit, huh?
The sad thing was he told me one night that he was reluctant to marry his betrothed because he had grown very fond of me.
So, with this in mind, I suddenly got a strong urge to want to live without being hunted down by his family.
We haven't talked a lot since but when we see each other he sure gives a smile!

Lurking Huron0930
Anonymous Guest

November 27 2002

Posted - September 03 2006 :  02:53:11 AM  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
LOL!
I come into this forum about Alice and a few posts down it suddenly becomes forum for UNCAS!!!
yay!
Hearts Uncas!

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - September 03 2006 :  4:46:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
We can turn any thread around and make it about Uncas. We have done it before and can do it again.......heehee

IG

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - September 03 2006 :  9:19:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Turn it to Uncas?
I thought all posts implied Uncas at some point.

Anyway, has anyone else met any hot Mid-Eastern men/women (only fair to include the men).

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - September 03 2006 :  11:36:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well when I lived in Germany I did know a cute guy from Egypt who wanted to date me but I was in my early twenties then and he was around forty so I did not go out with him....plenty of other fish to fry.

I did date a hot Indian guy though. Wait, when I say Indian I don't mean Native American I mean from the country of India. He owned a restaurant in Frankfurt, Germany but he was very possessive so that did not last too long.

I was always partial to Spanish men myself and went on vacation to Spain numerous times when I lived in Ireland. Oh, those hot Spanish guys, what memories.

I dated a Portugese guy for a long time and he even asked me to marry him but only after we had gone our separate ways and I was with someone else. Poor guy died of Lukemia in '89 but I did love him.

Okay enough of "going down memory lane" for me. Probably spilled too many beans so now it is someone else's turn.

IG

Lady of Glencairn
Colonial Settler

South Africa

May 29 2004

Posted - September 05 2006 :  02:13:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lady of Glencairn's Homepage  Click to see Lady of Glencairn's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Wow IG!

My friend had a really cute Egyptian friend ... *swoon* but he was a tad on the possessive side too ... so that kinda dampened any potential felings.

I thought the men in Argentina was really good looking! I could just sit and watch them all day ... !!

There are lots of Indian (as from India) guys here ... and some of them are really good looking!! I dated this one guy and he was beyond cheap!!! Urgh! Bad memories!

Lady of Glencairn

Paula
Pathfinder

United Kingdom

May 09 2005

Posted - September 05 2006 :  08:18:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I love how this thread has gone from Alice to Uncas to Indian and Egyptian men! It has made me chuckle

Unfortunately, for me it has to be Native American men (guess I've been watching too much Eric Schweig and Michael Greyeyes)....not so good when you live in England, damn damn shame!

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - September 05 2006 :  09:12:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yeah Paula too bad for you that there are no Native American men over there but you do have lots of Indians and Pakistani men. I know as we had plenty of them in Ireland. Good Luck finding a NA man but, like the rest of us, you can continue to dream of Michael and Eric.

IG

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - September 07 2006 :  9:39:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
[quote]Originally posted by Paula

I love how this thread has gone from Alice to Uncas to Indian and Egyptian men! It has made me chuckle

Pretty Cool, huh?

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - September 27 2006 :  12:03:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
[quote]Originally posted by Lady of Glencairn

Wow IG!

My friend had a really cute Egyptian friend ... *swoon* but he was a tad on the possessive side too ...

You know I have to wonder if this "possessive" vibe we get from men of other cultures has anything to do with the way our social culture functions with woman's liberation.

Think about it, the NA's functioned with men and women having equal say and actions made on behalf of the tribe were agreed upon by all. Still, the man was in authority over a woman and the woman never acted out against him, they stood by him and trusted his judgement. If for any reason it wasn't trusted, they would say so. Not to say they walked in their husband's shadows but her opinion were heard and thought over and the man would make the ultimate decision.
So even in NA cultures men were "possessive" (if you want to call it that).

Example:
When my husband (who is Mayan)and I first met he drove me crazy with his possessive side. He won my favor (meaning I liked him a lot and talked with and smiled at him) but I still talked with other men, who were obvious flirts. I had no interest in the other guys but he, being Mayan, saw them as trying to steal what he already had and that I welcomed it without restraint.
After our first date he immediately assumed we were a serious couple, which is the way the Mayan's live. You don't date unless you intend to seek a serious relationship with that person. Basically, scoping out the possibilty of marriage. This is what dating is intended for.

These men are very serious with their affections and are crushed and mortified when a woman treats them like they're expendable. To them it's a dishonor - they couldn't even win the affections of a woman.
Seen in this aspect, they really aren't possessive at all.

However, I did date this Aztec guy who freaked out if I so much as spoke to anyone, even my best friend. I had to be saying something about him or whispering about some interest I had in someone else, I was always lying if I didn't give him the answer he wanted, even if it was the truth. He wanted a woman under lock and key...NOW THIS...this is POSSESSIVE! And needless to say, my stilettos went right up his rear!

So here is a HUGE difference. Even though these traditions seem ancient to us, we really need to understand the entire world does not operate as we do. Casual dating is okay here, but in other areas of the world it's considered perverse. I myself, after having met my husband, tend to see dating as something that is not casual at all. If it's casual then you merely have a friend. Just my perspective.

I guess what I'm trying to say is what women see as possessive really needs to been seen in a much broader scope, because it may not be that at all.

Previous Topic: Dating Mohicans Poll Topic Next Topic: LOTM  on Tv in the UK  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.53 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07