The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/15/2024 7:31:09 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 choose the one to save
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page

Author Previous Topic: Greetings from Finland! Topic Next Topic: Which Alice/Uncas part would you like to expand?
Page: of 2

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
October 13 2006

Posted - December 12 2006 :  11:34:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hey, who's the other person who voted for Duncan? Just curious. I did too.

Maybe he isn't exactly honest throughout the movie, but to be burned alive....That's some hella bad karma just for being stodgy and traditionalist!

(Need I mention that one of my greatest irrational fears is being burned alive? Maybe that has something to do with my decision!)
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Dancer
Pioneer

Chieftain
USA

November 29 2006

Posted - December 12 2006 :  1:43:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Granted that being burned alive is no way to die but my fear is being buried alive. I am terrified of closed places.

"I teach the dance...the passion is yours to find."

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - December 12 2006 :  1:46:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Me too. Quite the claustrophobic. I hate being in elevators for obvious reasons.

IG

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - December 12 2006 :  1:49:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Having just said that, I wouldn't mind being in an elevator with our dear Uncas We would be otherwise "occupied" and that would certainly take my mind off the fact that I was in one...

IG

Dancer
Pioneer

Chieftain
USA

November 29 2006

Posted - December 12 2006 :  1:57:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Elevators don't bother me but tight holes and tunnels scare me to death....so do spiders!

"I teach the dance...the passion is yours to find."

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - December 12 2006 :  3:38:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Snakes

IG

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - December 13 2006 :  09:18:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
12" cocroaches in MX
Sent me straight up a flag pole once! (Literally!) I don't think they saw me move at all, it was more like a blurr.
The natives thought it was hysterical!

I live in my own little world - but that's okay, they know me here!

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - February 06 2007 :  01:16:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Ditto on the cockroaches, Light! I'm from Texas, where they definitely grow to "Texas size." Yech! And when they start flying? Don't even go there.

Know what else scares me? (This is stupid.) Fish. In the sea. Yeah. I hate the ocean. There are just so many things that could eat me, or so I think. I finally got brave enough last year to go into the water up to my armpits. Every time a piece of seaweed drifted by you'd have thought I was some kind of nutcase, shrieking and sprinting my way out of the water. But then again I did have a really bad experience where I fell out of a boat into a middle of a field of jellyfish. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - February 06 2007 :  10:31:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Irishgirl

Her mind works in mysterious ways.

Takes one to know one, Irish!

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - February 06 2007 :  10:47:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by zinvor

At least he was smiling... like ancient Greeks did before dieing.

I think it must have been the rare Greek who died smiling! Even heroes don't escape crying like babies when they're about to die. Herakles, ubermensch of Greek myth, died screaming his lungs out, poisoned by his wife, then burned alive. Yech!

Then there's Achilles, who's always crying about everything. But that's another story and I'm way off topic again! I did come back to the subject of being burned alive, though. Since the same thing happens to Duncan I'm claiming the "six degrees" privilege.

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - February 06 2007 :  8:31:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I'm willing to bet that if it were a woman being burnt alive she'd be too pissed to show any signs of pain. A woman's scorn is a strong but beautiful thing.

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - February 07 2007 :  2:15:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Light of the Moon

I'm willing to bet that if it were a woman being burnt alive she'd be too pissed to show any signs of pain. A woman's scorn is a strong but beautiful thing.

How 'bout we stick your head in the BBQ to see if you keep quiet? Any volunteers? "Pick me, pick me!"

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - February 08 2007 :  09:08:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Alright Obi, you asked for it!

Monet
Lost in the Wilderness

USA

April 07 2007

Posted - April 07 2007 :  4:53:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
No other answer but Uncas. His death was the true tragedy of the story. And his life could have been spared without sacrificing the story or going all 'disney' with the whole thing. Of course they would have had to change the title....

I think Magua, Alice, Duncan and Munroe absolutely had to die to serve the story. Uncas could have been saved.

Here is my scenario - Uncas is seriously wounded, but just before Magua strikes the death blow, Alice breaks away from her captor's grip and runs to the edge of the cliff. This distracts Magua from killing Uncas since he is already in pretty bad shape, and he doesn't want his 'prize' (Alice) getting away. Alice looks at Uncas for a moment then shifts her gaze to Magua and then steps off the cliff. She sacrifices herself for Uncas (in her mind.) This gives Chingachook and Hawkeye enough time to get there and start kicking ass! Uncas is wounded but not dead, and at the end he is standing on the edge of the cliff with his father, Cora and Hawkeye. Thinking of Alice....

Memory is valuable for one thing, astonishing: it brings dreams back.
- Antonio Machado

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - April 07 2007 :  5:36:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I like your little scenario Monet but as Chingy fights with Magua he could die and therefore they would not have to change the title at all as Uncas would be the Last of the Mohicans. Hawkeye would finish Magua off since Uncas is wounded. Having said that though, I would not want to see dear Chingy die as I just love his character so much too. Can't have Uncas's poor pa getting killed.

IG

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - April 15 2007 :  2:55:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
How 'bout we change the Title to "Last of the Wanna' Be Mohican's" and sacrifice Nathaniel instead?

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - May 04 2007 :  11:25:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hey, now that's an idea! Then we end up with Alice and Uncas, Cora and . . . Ching? Hee hee. I don't know why that's funny to me, but it is.

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - May 04 2007 :  11:33:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
OOH-OOH! I'll stand in for Alice! Or Cora! Shoot I'll take both parts!

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Greetings from Finland! Topic Next Topic: Which Alice/Uncas part would you like to expand?  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.56 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07