The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/15/2024 7:26:33 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 Which Alice/Uncas part would you like to expand?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page

Author Previous Topic: choose the one to save Topic Next Topic: Did you find a camera on the set of LotM?
Page: of 3

Lurking Huron2913
Anonymous Guest

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
November 27 2002

Posted - March 21 2005 :  11:39:31 AM  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
We all love the Alice/Uncas story..and the original script did have more of them..but since it was cut out..which part of the movie would you like to see an Alice/Uncas expansion??? For me..I wished there were scenes that showed they both interacted at the fort... and maybe a little more at the burial ground.. and of course..under the falls!! What do you guys think?? Which part of the movie would you have liked more interaction between the two?

Choices:

The riverwalk
At the burial ground
At the fort
Under the falls
At the cliffs

report to moderator

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - March 21 2005 :  12:52:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
As I see it, - this was essentially a movie about the conflict in colonial America between France and England - for control of the new continent. Me thinks many would change it into a love story, - which I don't belive is what Mr. Cooper had in mind.

you can keep "The Change"
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Hippie_forever
Lost in the Wilderness

USA

March 10 2005

Posted - March 21 2005 :  8:54:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Hippie_forever an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I'd say at the fort because if they had more interaction at the fort then their relationship condition would have made more sense when they were under the falls, because the 1st time I saw tho movie I was like,"Wait a minute...what's going on here?" then I realized that they had a romance going one.

§ÅV3
+H3
Mü§ic ^_^

chasis_22
Colonial Settler

Mohican Brothers
USA

April 19 2003

Posted - March 22 2005 :  3:53:45 PM  Show Profile  Send chasis_22 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I think I would leave the Ft scene to Cora and Hawkeye. There was so much going on in the Ft scene that I think throwing Uncas and Alice in too would have made it nutts! I voted for the under the falls scene because I think the way it is originally you can see that Uncas has gone from the typical "watching from a distance" to the ultimate physical contact. The way he ran his fingers through her hair was amazing. I noticed that right after he did that it looks like he leans her back with himself but the whole thing looks like it is in slow motion. That would be the place where I would have added in some extra woo hoo for the couple. Anyways that is just my 2cents lol.

puddykat
Lost in the Wilderness

Alice

March 22 2005

Posted - March 22 2005 :  5:05:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
i was originally confused by the actions of uncas both at the burial grounds (which could have been expanded and was in the script), waterfall and the cliff, because quite alot of info was left out. After reading the script it became more clear why he pulled alice towards him (to keep her out of sight) and why he goes after her at the cliffs.
its a beautiful story that should have been expanded.

Emily
Colonial Settler

Cora 4
USA

January 08 2005

Posted - April 26 2005 :  6:01:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I believe that the whole under the falls things with Uncas and Alice should have been expanded. That was the perfect time for a little bit of woo hoo.
(But nothing to woo hoo).

"It is the unknown we fear when looking upon death and darkness, nothing more."

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - April 27 2005 :  3:42:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Has anyone ever noticed that in all the movies Eric Shweig plays in he's never 'involved' in any intimate relationships on film?

blueotter
Colonial Settler

BlueOtter
USA

September 10 2004

Donating Member

Posted - April 27 2005 :  4:23:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit blueotter's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Light of the Moon

Has anyone ever noticed that in all the movies Eric Shweig plays in he's never 'involved' in any intimate relationships on film?

If you were to see "Big Eden", you would see that Eric's character is indeed involved in an intimate relationship. [But you might not like it.] I thought he did a fantastic acting job, and the movie itself was an Indy masterpiece! Here's a website about it:

http://www.bigeden.com/home.html

I think he was gorgeous in this part, by the way. NOT so gorgeous in "The Missing"!!!

Rose Dupre
AKA/Órelindë Tinehtelë
AKA/Polly Gamwich
Gordon's 60th Royal Americans
Detroit French Marines

silentthunder
Pioneer

Hawkeye 4
USA

December 15 2004

Posted - April 30 2005 :  04:29:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I voted for an expansion scene of "under the falls". That would have been the perfect chance for them to show the viewers that such love existed between them.
I strongly feel that it was unfair that the love scene in between Uncas/Alice was cut out. It seems as if we were cheated in some way.

I agree that the fort scene was perfect for Hawkeye and Cora's love, and I loved the way MM played that scene out.

Light Of The Moon, I'm pleading with you to see "Big Eden". As for Eric Schweig not having any intimate scenes in his movies, your mouth will drop. I don't want to mess the movie up by giving you too much info, but let's put it this way --> I was shocked at what I saw. Also, I appreciated the fantastic job Eric did in that movie.

Mitaku Oyasin...
We are all related

Lurking Huron4273
Anonymous Guest

November 27 2002

Posted - April 30 2005 :  7:55:19 PM  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Im gald there wanst much interaction. He looks hot with out it.

eilan
Pathfinder

March 16 2005

Posted - May 09 2005 :  2:32:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I would like more interaction between the two during all the movie, but in particular under the falls and at the cliff...but I LOVE this couple anyway, even qith this love undeveloped!!

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - May 10 2005 :  3:28:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by blueotter

quote:
Originally posted by Light of the Moon

If you were to see "Big Eden", you would see that Eric's character is indeed involved in an intimate relationship. [But you might not like it.] I thought he did a fantastic acting job, and the movie itself was an Indy masterpiece! Here's a website about it:

http://www.bigeden.com/home.html

I think he was gorgeous in this part, by the way. NOT so gorgeous in "The Missing"!!!

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll be sure to rent it!

Lookbackatme
Pathfinder

Uncas
United Kingdom

May 10 2005

Posted - May 10 2005 :  4:27:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi all, newbie here!
Just want to say I am loving the site!

Back to topic, I voted for the fall scene because, subtly intimate as it was, I wish we, the audience, had more of an insight into Alice's feelings; it's always something that has frustrated me slightly.

"Try as we might, happy as we were, we cannot go back."

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - May 16 2005 :  2:41:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hello LookBackAtMe! What an interesting screen name! Hope you enjoy this site as much as we have!

Lookbackatme
Pathfinder

Uncas
United Kingdom

May 10 2005

Posted - May 18 2005 :  2:45:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thank you for the welcome Light of the moon, and may I say "ditto" with regards to screen name!!
I'm sure I will, though it will probably take me an age to filter through all the information!! Found the site a little late...

Lookbackatme

"Try as we might, happy as we were, we cannot go back."

Emily
Colonial Settler

Cora 4
USA

January 08 2005

Posted - June 27 2005 :  8:36:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Better late than never! Welcome aboard!

"It is the unknown we fear when looking upon death and darkness, nothing more."

zinvor
Pioneer

Huron 2
Armenia

May 13 2006

Posted - May 27 2006 :  4:57:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I voted (a little bit late but still...) for Under the falls scene. I'd like to know what followed their hug, but I don't think they should've made love. I am glad there is no such scene in the final version, that would be somewhat stupid.

And besides why didn't we see Unkas jumping into the fall? Did he just go away without even saying good bye, without even looking at Alice? I doubt he was in such a hurry to save his life. Otherwise why didn't he even want to wait for Hawkeye to attack the Hurons together?

Too bad they've left so little Uknas/Alice scenes. I'd be also interested to see them in the fort, not kissing or something, just to see if they ever met in the fort.

Man is indeed like monkey - the higher he gets the more he demonstrates his a**

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - May 28 2006 :  10:42:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Most definitely under the falls although with so many people in there and Magua and his band of cut-throats on the way, how on earth would they have had enough privacy for any woo hoo. Someone could have walked in on them at any moment. Also, must have been very uncomfortable "doing it" in the cave with nothing but rocks around to lean on or lie upon.

IG

zinvor
Pioneer

Huron 2
Armenia

May 13 2006

Posted - May 31 2006 :  09:59:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
And besides "woo hoo" would change completely the meaning of the scene at the cliffs and, as I see it, spoil the impression. It would be just like "I'm coming to you, Unkas, my love!!" Seems like platitude.

raindrops
Colonial Settler

United Kingdom

March 25 2006

Posted - June 07 2006 :  9:45:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I would like to see more interaction between Uncas and Alice in all the scenes (well, maybe I would leave the fort scene to Hawkeye and Cora).
I would like them two to actually SAY SOMETHING to each other. Anything that would give us any clue about the nature of their relationship and their feelings.. Or at least some meaningful "body language" like looks and glances, smiles.. Apparently things like that were in the movie originally. Of course I would really want to see the love scene we all keep thinking and wondering about. Perhaps watching it could explain a lot about this mystery, because reading the script hasn't made me much wiser. As far as I remember the script, there still wasn't any dialog between them before, during and after the love scene. That's why I'd love to see how they actually played this..

zinvor
Pioneer

Huron 2
Armenia

May 13 2006

Posted - June 10 2006 :  3:12:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
In his interview Eric says there were supposed to be The looks and they actually were, but those scenes weren't left in the final cut. Too bad. If not with the words or something more they could have granted us at least with those significant looks. So far I have noticed just one - during the riverwalk.

raindrops
Colonial Settler

United Kingdom

March 25 2006

Posted - June 11 2006 :  6:04:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by chasis_22

The way he ran his fingers through her hair was amazing. I noticed that right after he did that it looks like he leans her back with himself but the whole thing looks like it is in slow motion.

I also noticed these details. It made this scene meaningful. This short moment, the way it has been shown by the film makers, alone can explain to some extent the whole cliff scene. Although at the same time it makes the viewers realise that a big part of their relationship remains untold.

While watching it the first time, I really couldn't understand why Uncas run on his own to save Alice there and then and put himself in such danger, but after thinking more deeply about their hug under the falls together with the cliffs scene, I realise that it allows us to use our imaginations and I came to the conclusion that the result is quite interesting.

raindrops
Colonial Settler

United Kingdom

March 25 2006

Posted - June 11 2006 :  8:02:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by zinvor

In his interview Eric says there were supposed to be The looks and they actually were, but those scenes weren't left in the final cut. Too bad. If not with the words or something more they could have granted us at least with those significant looks. So far I have noticed just one - during the riverwalk.

Eric also talked about the reasons why so much of Uncas/Alice relationship had been cut out. He believed the purpose of it had been to keep focus on Hawkeye and Cora's love story as they were played by the stars of the film. I think he was right. Leaving both love stories could have ended up in some sort of "competition" and Uncas and Alice story could have aesily overshadowed the other one.

zinvor
Pioneer

Huron 2
Armenia

May 13 2006

Posted - June 12 2006 :  10:44:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by raindrops

Eric also talked about the reasons why so much of Uncas/Alice relationship had been cut out. He believed the purpose of it had been to keep focus on Hawkeye and Cora's love story as they were played by the stars of the film. I think he was right. Leaving both love stories could have ended up in some sort of "competition" and Uncas and Alice story could have aesily overshadowed the other one.

Yes i also think he was right. Perhaps they didn't want to pay too much attention to love stories at all, figured that one is plenty enough for this film.

And may be we wouldn't be so excited and impressed if we knew from the beginning that there was something between Unkas and Alice. But still it's a pity!

zinvor
Pioneer

Huron 2
Armenia

May 13 2006

Posted - June 12 2006 :  10:57:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by raindrops
I also noticed these details. It made this scene meaningful. This short moment, the way it has been shown by the film makers, alone can explain to some extent the whole cliff scene. Although at the same time it makes the viewers realise that a big part of their relationship remains untold.

While watching it the first time, I really couldn't understand why Uncas run on his own to save Alice there and then and put himself in such danger, but after thinking more deeply about their hug under the falls together with the cliffs scene, I realise that it allows us to use our imaginations and I came to the conclusion that the result is quite interesting.

Me too, when I first saw the cliff scene I was really surprised as to why did he do it? why didn't he wait for the others? and how come he's in love with her? But then after being wounded by Magua Unkas gives Alice quite a meaningful look, and I understood I've missed something.

And I agree that slow motion is great. Especially the way he hugs her like he's found someone dear and afraid to lose it. That's nice. That explains a lot and after all what other explanations could we get? Do we really need more? I suppose the film makers were right to leave it to our imagination.

LeyLana1462
Colonial Settler

Saxon
Australia

April 03 2006

Posted - July 03 2006 :  6:11:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit LeyLana1462's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hey Blueotter, you're not kidding.........lol..... still a very cute movie tho. I think one of the sweetest, funniest love stories I've seen in a while.

Back to this tho. I wouldn't expand on anything. There isn't supposed to be a love scene as such between Alice and Uncas and I quite like the way that it's left up to our imagination. It certainly has been food for thought for this board, but not only that, I think it kept the innocence of the couple. They were portrayed as no more than teenagers I felt. In those days, children like Uncas would have been out tracking and hunting at a very early age so I think they were probably no more than 16 or 17.

I really need to read this book. I think I will go and get it from the library, it seems there is a lot more in it than the movie.

They are all there, but one.
I, Chingachgook, Last of the Mohicans.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic: choose the one to save Topic Next Topic: Did you find a camera on the set of LotM?  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.5 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07