The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/9/2024 7:27:00 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 Burial ground scene.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page

Author Previous Topic: The Other Men Topic Next Topic: LOTM Cartoon
Page: of 2

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - April 23 2006 :  7:11:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by paazau
Full-scale fighting would be awesome!

You have absolutely no idea how thrilling it can be. The largest re-enactment I have seen was during the 225th Commemoration of the Battles of Saratoga (Revolutionary War). I believe I heard that there were over 1,000 re-enactors there, and there were literally hundreds of soldiers on the field, fighting. It was the most spectacular thing I have ever seen. And it was part of what got me hooked on the 18th century, and interested in becoming a civilian re-enactor.

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

paazau
Colonial Settler

Australia

March 11 2006

Posted - April 23 2006 :  9:28:37 PM  Show Profile  Send paazau a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
That would have been truly spectacular. I hope I can experience it one day. I'm sure it will definitely be "more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been." Sorry, I love that line... I'll have to do some reading up on this re-enacting.. sounds like the next best thing to actually living in the 18th century. Not that I've got much chance of doing either, but hey, ya gotta go with what moves ya!

"You do not know what you're saying girl!"
"Yes I do, I know exactly what I am saying, and if it is sedition, then I am guilty of sedition too!"

alikws
Colonial Settler

USA

October 23 2003

Posted - April 24 2006 :  1:43:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
at the 225'th saratoga, there was a night cannon firing. this was near ft.edwards, we were camped on an island
in the middle of lake george [the narrows, picnic island, in the mother bunch] as part of a f&i tactical, we could hear and see the firing, at least 20 miles out, not hard to imagine it was the french, at wm henry... unexpected and cool....

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - April 24 2006 :  1:53:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well I always enjoy the re-enactors at Gettysburg. Been there about 4 or 5 times now and they put on a great show. My husband has had me trapesing all over many's a Civil War Battlefield but Gettysburg is my favorite by far.

IG

Bookworm
Colonial Militia

USA

February 10 2004

Donating Member

Posted - November 07 2006 :  7:32:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
While searching the Internet for something else the other day, I came across a site that might offer a different way of looking at the burial ground scene:

http://www.rootsweb.com/~pajchs/indianmound.html

Although Juniata County, PA, is directly to the south of Snyder County, where I grew up, I had never before heard of the "Book Indian Mound." According to this article, it was customary for the dead to be placed on platforms or in trees for some time, and when the tribe was planning to move on or it was otherwise appropriate, the dead -- skeletons by then -- were bundled together and interred in mounds. This theory suggests that the burial ground scene of LOTM could be accurate, as it would portray the first stage of this process. Of course, this theory is completely contrary to Fitz's understanding, which is mine also, of how the Indians of the northeast buried their dead. It's worth noting that this explanation of the burial mound is from the 1920's, and archaeology and ethnohistory have undoubtedly advanced quite a bit since then. Also, I think the article's reference to "Algonquin" Indians must be wrong, as the Algonquins were way up north beyond the Huron regions. (If memory serves, they were one of the peoples portrayed in the movie "Black Robe.") Must have meant "Algonquian," a reference to the language group and not the tribe. Anyway, it's an interesting idea. Has anyone else ever heard of this burial practice among the northeastern peoples?

Bookworm

"I've gotten so fascinated with the eighteenth century, I'm going to stay there." -- David McCullough

"Nothing to it, brother." -- Barack Obama

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - November 11 2006 :  3:55:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Blue Jacket's pretty good to. It's done near Columbus, OH usually in Sept.

I live in my own little world - but that's okay, they know me here!

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - November 12 2006 :  08:26:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I realize the original question is somewhat off topic now, but here goes.

In Cooper's book---which may or may not be relevant to the movie, considering it's so different in other ways---the burial ground is a relic of a war between the Mohicans and the Mohawks. Hawkeye and Chingachgook fought in this war and buried the dead themselves---which is why they are OK treading on the gravesite while the more suspicious Huron warriors, who don't know the story behind the mound, are not.

Like I said, don't know if Cooper's original has any bearing on the movie version, but it makes sense, anyway.

By the way, was anyone else who followed the link to the "Book Indian Mound" story appalled by the fact that some of the contents of the mound were ground up and used as fertilizer by local farmers? Yech! Gross AND a total disrespect of the dead. But I guess maybe that wasn't a big issue in the 1920's.

Ridgerunner
Pathfinder

USA

November 12 2006

Posted - November 12 2006 :  5:02:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I was raised in Lebanon County,PA and one day while a young child my uncle & I visited an Indian cemetary outside of Lebanon,PA.As I was told more than 50 years ago,the Indian dead were placed in trees(platforms)...I never really researched into this.

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - November 12 2006 :  5:04:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
This was also done to Egyptain mummies at one time (i.e. made into fertilizer). Gives soilent green a whole new meaning.

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - November 12 2006 :  5:31:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yeah, - but a tasty snack no doubt! ... ;)

you can keep "The Change"

Bookworm
Colonial Militia

USA

February 10 2004

Donating Member

Posted - November 12 2006 :  6:19:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yes, RedFraggle, that reference to fertilizer was startling, to say the least. Sounds like respect for other cultures wasn't high on the list of people's concerns in the '20s, or maybe the bones were assumed to be so ancient that they didn't really seem like the remains of PEOPLE anymore.

Welcome, Ridgerunner! (I'm a flatlander myself.) Interesting piece of information about the Indian cemetery in Lebanon County. I guess we shouldn't be surprised at finding an Indian graveyard anywhere, since once, to paraphrase Chingachgook, they were everywhere.

Bookworm

"I've gotten so fascinated with the eighteenth century, I'm going to stay there." -- David McCullough

"Nothing to it, brother." -- Barack Obama

Ridgerunner
Pathfinder

USA

November 12 2006

Posted - November 12 2006 :  9:53:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Bookworm,
I see that you are from Carlisle...are you familiar with the role of the Paxtang Boys during this era?

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - November 13 2006 :  3:06:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Digging up the dead from the mounds, yeah it really happened long ago.
I'll side with you on the whole manure part!
Here in Boone County KY there are numerous Shawnee burial grounds along the OH river and in Hebron itself.
About a year ago a new subdivision was put in and well...you know the rest. They shut up the media right away and stopped construction for a while. I guess once they got an ok from the gov. they went ahead and built on top of it.

Right across the river in Lawrenceburg, IN they found a pioneers graveyard atop a hill. Been there since 1627. Once they received ok from big brother they dug it up and built on top of it too! It's been said that there was some equipment buried with the settlers and that stuff was sold to a museum. Ouch. So much for respect for our heritage.

In the subdivision where my parents live there is a burial mound just beyond the woods bordering their property. A really big one but because it was owned by a farmer until he could verify that the state recognized ir as a historical burial grounds the purchaseres were permitted to build up to a certain distance from it. So at least it has some respect from modern day society.

And if you ever fly into the Northern KY/Cincinnati Airport there are two burial mounds visible by the employee parking lot if you're landing from the northern side. Yep, built their airport right up against it. Funny they don't do that to any other grave yards.
Don't even get me on that soapbox!

I should have been an attorney for NA affairs!
For many reasons: NA men being one of the perks.

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - November 13 2006 :  3:22:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hey, off topic a bit but what the heck. Ridgerunner's post reminded me of this:

My dad claims that he has seen somewhere in the Arkansas-Tennessee area a cave with adobe dwellings in it. Every year when I was a kid and my family went on vacation he would spend hours looking for this site. We all thought he was making it up because we never found it and park rangers in all the areas investigated just gave us funny looks. Anybody out there know of anything like this? Just curious....

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - November 16 2006 :  9:24:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I'd check with the Chamber of Commerce or maybe known historians. The chamber could probably point you in the right direction.
Another idea...a library or bookstore (Barnes & Nobles will probably be best for this research) would have history books on NA history and their locations and life styles.

If my studies were correct then that area was inhabited by the Seneca, the Cherokee, the Chicksaw, and the Shawnee (mid 1700's).
If your Dad can recall the tribe that would have lived in that area you could always go straight to their website and contact council.

Wes will also be a pretty good reference. If he ain't an historian by now then he's missed his calling!

Now that my curiosity is struck I'll be doing some searching too. Good luck!

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: The Other Men Topic Next Topic: LOTM Cartoon  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.42 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07