The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/8/2024 5:25:48 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 Question About Duncan???
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Did I imagine Charlie? Topic Next Topic: Captain Jack Winthrop  

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - February 14 2006 :  11:09:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He gave up his life so Cora and Hawkeye could be together. My question is why did he sacrifice himself since she did not want him. I guess he truly must have loved her to do what he did being burned alive. Why didn't he let Hawkeye do it like he wanted to, then Cora would have had no one as Alice would have been lost forever since Uncas and Chingachkook would have tried to save Hawkeye and gotten killed in the process. Cora would have had no one and perhaps might have married him after all. He was some guy I tell you, being barbequed alive for a woman who turned him down. Let the man who loved her sacrifice himself for her. Duncan was foolish indeed.

IG
report to moderator

MeggieD
Colonial Settler

Megs Avatar
USA

January 23 2006

Posted - February 15 2006 :  09:12:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Duncan truly loved her and wanted her to be happy.

Uncas: "some food"
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - February 15 2006 :  09:18:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
What men willing to be roasted for the women they love.

IG

Lurking Huron6322
Anonymous Guest

November 27 2002

Posted - February 15 2006 :  11:47:53 AM  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I think it may have been that he was an officer and a gentleman and morally he had to protect her.

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - February 16 2006 :  11:39:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Cora would never had turned to Duncan if he allowed Hawkeye to burn at the stake. What woman could marry a man of "morality" who would lie about families being slaughtered right in front of those who spoke the truth. Her daddy dearest kinda' ruined it for them by telling him to keep his eyes fixed on his duty. If Cora knew that I still think she'd turned down Duncan for not having enough backbone to speak the truth. Cora didn't hesitate to speak the truth to her father after Hawkeye was thrown in the slammer! So yea, I think Irishgirl is right, he is foolish.

I live in my own little world - but that's okay, they know me here!

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - February 16 2006 :  12:03:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Something else I thought about.
If I were Cora I don't think I'd have even considered Duncan's proposal anyway.
Call me shallow but I just don't like the whole strawberry blonde, pale pinkish skin and bulbit nose. Other than that he seems to be a nice guy except for the fact that he'll lie when he's under the gun.

I live in my own little world - but that's okay, they know me here!

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - February 16 2006 :  2:50:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well said. I could not have said it any better myself. Not my type either.

IG

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - February 23 2006 :  11:06:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Another thing I noticed when watching the DVD again today, after the massacre when Nathaniel, Chingachkook, Uncas, Cora and Alice go to the canoe's and take to the water, Duncan is already in a canoe and taking off. Am I mistaken here? What kind of a man is he anyway that he would leave Cora and Alice to fend for themselves unless he knew that our 3 heroes were protecting them. Still he supposedly wanted to marry Cora so he must have cared for her if in fact he did not love her already. Just my thoughts.

IG

MeggieD
Colonial Settler

Megs Avatar
USA

January 23 2006

Posted - February 24 2006 :  10:18:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I believe you're right. More proof that Duncan hit the water before the rest is that he turns around to exchange "pleasantries" with Nathanial. Also, when does Uncas move from Nathanial's canoe to Duncan's? I've missed that every time. Was that to lessen the load in one canoe and help paddle the other??

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - February 24 2006 :  11:52:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Uncas dives into the water and swims across to Duncan's canoe to help paddle it as there are too many people in their canoe anyway with Nathaniel, Alice, Uncas, an unknown soldier, Cora and Chingachkook. Watch carefully and you can see him dive into the water and then climb into Duncan's canoe. I still can't believe that Duncan took off and left the girls to fend for themselves. What kind of man is he anyway? Still he does redeem himself in the end by paying the ultimate sacrifice. Maybe since Cora turned his proposal of marriage down then he felt he owned her nothing and did not have to protect her.

IG

Highlander
Colonial Militia

Bushy Run painting
USA

February 04 2003

Posted - February 24 2006 :  11:28:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Highlander's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I think that Duncan gave his life because he was an officer & a gentleman as well.Besides,it was the least that he could do for Cora after lying to Col.Munro about the massacre on the frontier.

Highlander

Keira
Pathfinder

The Kiss 2

January 25 2006

Posted - March 07 2006 :  10:24:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I believe that Duncan really loved Cora so much that he was ready to die for her.He sacrificed himself for her and it was extremely brave thing to do. To be burned alive- what an afwul and painful way to die..

Lurking Huron2503
Anonymous Guest

November 27 2002

Posted - March 08 2006 :  9:46:41 PM  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Highlander

I think that Duncan gave his life because he was an officer & a gentleman as well.Besides,it was the least that he could do for Cora after lying to Col.Munro about the massacre on the frontier.

If that was the least he could do, what was the most??

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - March 08 2006 :  11:28:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
If he truly loved her then why did he abandon her and Alice and take to the water leaving them behind. If he was such an Officer and Gentleman he would not have done that. Even if he thought Nathaniel, Chingachkook and Uncas would protect them he still should not have just taken off. He could not be certain that our 3 heroes would not be killed thus leaving the women to "fend for themselves". He was no Officer or Gentleman in my opinion. He made the ultimate sacrifice in the end for Cora but I still can't fathom why. He maybe felt guilt about the way he acted earlier by lying and abandoning them and wanted to "make things right". It certainly was not "the least he could do" being BBQ'd alive. He could not have done anything greater for Cora but I still feel he was foolish so maybe he did love her afterall. Just don't care for Duncan much despite his act of "bravery" or "foolishness" whichever way you care to look at it.

IG

Highlander
Colonial Militia

Bushy Run painting
USA

February 04 2003

Posted - March 09 2006 :  02:19:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Highlander's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
If you recall the decision of the Sachem,SOMEBODY was getting burned at the stake that day,so why not Duncan?

Highlander

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - March 09 2006 :  10:54:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
If you recall the decision of the Sachem,SOMEBODY was getting burned at the stake that day,so why not Duncan?

A Brit would be my choice.

Vive le Roi!

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"

Lurking Huron6420
Anonymous Guest

November 27 2002

Posted - March 09 2006 :  1:54:45 PM  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I like to think that since Duncan represents the educated sophistication which contrasts with Leatherstocking's romantic heroism and belief in the freedom of the individual that Duncan sacrifices himself more out of his duty to his country. He has been assigned to protect Cora, and aside from his love for her, will do what it takes to honor that assignment.

Lurking Huron2503
Anonymous Guest

November 27 2002

Posted - March 09 2006 :  10:10:56 PM  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I think Duncan naturally felt jealous since he noticed the relationship developing between the woman he wanted to marry and another man and as a cosequence he felt an urge to compete with Hawkeye. His offer of being BBQd instead of Cora was a reaction to the same offer made first by Hawkeye. He was impressed by Hawkeye's noble intention and did not want to be any worse. So, his reaction was an impuls without much thinking and he regretted it immediately but it was too late to change his mind. How about that for an explanation?

On the other hand, maybe when he did those "foolish" things he was going through some kind of crysis, but the ultimate sacrifice finally showed his true amazing personality?

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - March 09 2006 :  11:34:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Lurking Huron2503 I like your take on the situation. He certainly did notice that Cora was developing some affections for Hawkeye and must have felt some form of jealousy. He knew he could not compete with such a man as Hawkeye who came from a completely different world to Cora and himself. Still if it indeed was an impulse without much thinking, it was a very costly impulse. No wonder he told them to leave as quickly as possible although there would have been no opportunity to "change his mind". I doubt the Indians would have let him do that. Poor Duncan, I do feel sorry for him and the sad end he came to all for a woman who did not even love him and had lost respect for him. We can only be thankful that they raced as fast as they could to Chingachkook and Hawkeye put him out of his misery.

IG

MeggieD
Colonial Settler

Megs Avatar
USA

January 23 2006

Posted - March 09 2006 :  11:38:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Lurking Huron 2503 I've thought of that angle as well. It seems that he's almost trying to save face for betraying Nathanial earlier, now he's trying to redeem himself in Cora's eyes. It would seem that Duncan wasn't the only young man to do something "foolish" and pay the ultimate price.

Highlander
Colonial Militia

Bushy Run painting
USA

February 04 2003

Posted - March 10 2006 :  05:49:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Highlander's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yes,Uncas tried to go hand-to-hand with Magua.What was he thinking?Magua eats guys like him for breakfast.

Highlander

mountainheart
Pathfinder

The Kiss 2
USA

February 23 2005

Donating Member

Posted - March 16 2006 :  1:32:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit mountainheart's Homepage  Send mountainheart a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I guess I'm the optimist and would like to think this was Duncan's way of making things right. He had failed Cora over and over and proved himself unfit for her. Something "noble" rose up within him and he knew he had to do the right thing for the woman he loved.

"Oh the depth of the human experience!"

Highlander
Colonial Militia

Bushy Run painting
USA

February 04 2003

Posted - March 16 2006 :  5:19:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Highlander's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Highlander

Yes,Uncas tried to go hand-to-hand with Magua.What was he thinking?Magua eats guys like him for breakfast.

Get it? Eats guys like that for breakfast. O.K. then,have a Col.Munro.Redcoats,the other white meat.

Highlander
  Previous Topic: Did I imagine Charlie? Topic Next Topic: Captain Jack Winthrop  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.5 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07