The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/9/2024 11:28:04 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 Adopt a european
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: The re-recording of the soundtrack Topic Next Topic: 2006 Gathering  

Lurking Huron1225
Anonymous Guest

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
November 27 2002

Posted - November 26 2005 :  7:46:24 PM  Reply with Quote
Hello rabid fans!

I was recently assigned to do a short paper on the historical accuracy of Last of the Mohicans. Before we go on: No, this is not another thread asking you to do my homework! It's done and I did good!

Anyway, during research I became really interested in the subject matter, particularly the history, culture, etc., of native tribes. There is one point I have had a very hard time finding more information on, however. I was looking into whites who were 'adopted' into native families, either by capture or willingly. Such names as John Gibson, William Wells, Daniel Sullivan, Eunice Williams, etc., have come up but I was wondering if anyone knows more about this?

Thanks
report to moderator

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - November 27 2005 :  3:06:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Off hand no, - but if you do a www.google.com search you'll probably find something.

you can keep "The Change"
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Dances with Beagles
Colonial Settler

USA

May 19 2002

Donating Member

Posted - November 27 2005 :  8:46:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Lurking Huron1225

Hello rabid fans!

I was looking into whites who were 'adopted' into native families, either by capture or willingly. Such names as John Gibson, William Wells, Daniel Sullivan, Eunice Williams, etc., have come up but I was wondering if anyone knows more about this?

Thanks

The name Mary Jemison comes to mind, and there is a book out about her, it's on my reading list, but I haven't gotten to it yet.

Years ago I read "Follow the River" which was about a woman, Mary Ingles, who was captured by Indians, escaped, and then returned home. Very harrowing story.

I also read "In the Hands of the Senecas", but to be honest, I don't remember details, and I don't even recall if it was fiction or non-fiction.

I'm sure if you start looking, you'll find links on the internet.
Also, if you search around this website, you might find postings about the topic.

Good Luck on what is certainly an interesting topic.

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - December 03 2005 :  09:49:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
OK, fine ... I'll adopt Ilse!

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - December 27 2005 :  10:47:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by richfed

OK, fine ... I'll adopt Ilse!

I talked with my blackfoot relative Charlie. He has said that most books on native american history are tainted. To get the most accurate information one should inquire the tribal orginizations. But you probably have already done so.
As far as the women I would google it.

I live in my own little world - but that's okay, they know me here!

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - December 27 2005 :  3:15:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
You might want to check out Loudon's Indian Narratives by Archibald Loudon. It was originally published in two volumes; the first in 1809 and the second in 1811, and includes several first hand accounts of redeemed and escaped captives. What makes this work so fascinating is that Mr. Loudon interviewed most of the actual people found in his work, add to that the first volume was published less than twenty years after the last Indian attack in Pennsylvania. To put it into perspective, it would be like you interviewing Korea and Vietnam Veterans today. All in all, it is one of the well-hidden treasures of 18th Century History. Thankfully, it has been reprinted by Wennawoods Publishing, and is still available for under $50.

YMH&OS,
The Sarge

Serjeant-Major Duncan Munro
Capt. Thos. Graham's Coy.
42nd Royal Highland Regiment of Foote
(The Black Sheep of the Black Watch)

"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
-Or-
"Recruit locally, fight globally."

Lurking Huron2274
Anonymous Guest

November 27 2002

Posted - December 28 2005 :  11:21:01 PM  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hello, just browsing aroudn after watching the movie. In response to your question...

There are many many accounts about adopted whites into North American Indian tribes. So many that they have their own sub-genre in literature taht I believe is called "captive narratives" or something like that. (My memory is a little foggy on the word and I can't find my old college text.) I do know that adoption was a primarily a trait of Indians in the eastern part fo the United States. THe plains Indians and Central American Indians seemed more preoccupied with eugenics. Many Indians West of the Mississippi had strict taboos about getting intimate with other tribes and especially whites so they were less keen on adoption.

OF course there are exceptions. For example, I am part Iroquois Seneca, which supposedly wiped out the Erie tribe and instead of adopting, they carried the survivors of their enemies back their camp and ate them... YUM!

A final note...It's recored that many adoptee's didn't want to come back. We only have the actual narrative from those that did. Especially considering the average male Eastern North American Indian worked less than 20 hours a week. (Not counting hunting) While the colonist work week was more than 60 hours. Women had rights in the tribes whereas the colonial women were mostly subordinate.

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - December 29 2005 :  12:06:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Dances with Beagles

I also read "In the Hands of the Senecas", but to be honest, I don't remember details, and I don't even recall if it was fiction or non-fiction.

Dances, this is an excellent book (fiction) that was written by one of my favorite authors, Walter D. Edmonds. He also wrote "Drums Along the Mohawk" as well as other novels that dealt with the early years of the Erie Canal. If I recall correctly, all of the captives in his story who survived managed to return to their white families. But, again... this was purely fiction.

An adult captive who was released and returned to her white life was Mary White Rowlandson. She was captured about 100 years earlier, in 1676, by the Nipmunk and Narragansett Indians in Massachusetts. She was ransomed only 3 months after her captivity.

Just recently, I read "The Red Heart" by James Alexander Thom. (He also wrote the book you mentioned, Dances, "Follow The River.") This book is the true account of Frances Slocum, the daughter of a Quaker family who lived in the Wyoming Valley area of PA. She was captured by the Delaware in 1778 when she was about 5 and was adopted and raised by a Miami woman. Because she was so young, she stayed with her Indian family, married and had children, and even hid so that her white family could not find her. This is a fascinating true story.

Actually, LH2274, we do have narratives from whites who were captured and stayed with their adoptive Indian families. The above-mentioned Mary Jemison is a very famous one. And the one I just mentioned, Frances Slocum, is another.

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Seamus
Guardian of Heaven's Gate

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - December 29 2005 :  12:49:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Frances Slocum State Park, here in PA, is named for her........

Many captives adopted into their captors' families would have preferred to stay with them rather than be "repatriated" after the end of hostilities. That speaks volumes to me.

Life's journey is not to
arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting
'...holy sh*t ...what a ride!'

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

~~Aim small, hit the b*****d right between the eyes!~~

qasimoto
Pioneer

USA

March 11 2005

Posted - January 08 2006 :  03:30:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Your mention of those titles piqued my interest, so I looked and found them both on eBay, one a 1st ed., with no bidders. No one else ever did bid, so I've received one and am waiting for the other. Follow the River, so far up to p. 80, is a good but easy read, and not very large at that. I'm looking forward to receiving and reading Senecas as well. While they're both of the historical fiction genre, they are rooted in actual reported events and so do help transport you vicariously back to that time and place, which is all I'm after anyway. So thanks for mentioning them, I now have one and am expecting the other one imminently, and am enjoying the read so far.

Qasimoto

quote:

quote:

Hello rabid fans!

I was looking into whites who were 'adopted' into native families, either by capture or willingly. Such names as John Gibson, William Wells, Daniel Sullivan, Eunice Williams, etc., have come up but I was wondering if anyone knows more about this?

Thanks

The name Mary Jemison comes to mind, and there is a book out about her, it's on my reading list, but I haven't gotten to it yet.

Years ago I read "Follow the River" which was about a woman, Mary Ingles, who was captured by Indians, escaped, and then returned home. Very harrowing story.

Also, if you search around this website, you might find postings about the topic.

qasimoto
Pioneer

USA

March 11 2005

Posted - January 16 2006 :  12:06:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I thought Follow the River , a national best-seller though no one else bid on it in eBay, to be a well-written cliff hanger, transporting you back to that time and place. I recommend it without reservation.

I thought a little less of In the Hands of the Senecas. Last two chapters seemed good and of some vitality, but all else preceding was pretty much a drag and appeared to have perhaps been almost written by someone else, someone of little skill and talent. Or perhaps by the same author, in a hurry to pad out a book for publishing.

Yet, Senecas was the one reprinted by a University Press, I've forgotten which one, while Follow was not, as far as I could see, ever reprinted. Go Figure, I guess.

Qasimoto

quote:
Originally posted by qasimoto

Your mention of those titles piqued my interest, so I looked and found them both on eBay, one a 1st ed., with no bidders. No one else ever did bid, so I've received one and am waiting for the other. Follow the River, so far up to p. 80, is a good but easy read, and not very large at that. I'm looking forward to receiving and reading Senecas as well. While they're both of the historical fiction genre, they are rooted in actual reported events and so do help transport you vicariously back to that time and place, which is all I'm after anyway. So thanks for mentioning them, I now have one and am expecting the other one imminently, and am enjoying the read so far.

Qasimoto

quote:

quote:

Hello rabid fans!

Thanks

Bookworm
Colonial Militia

USA

February 10 2004

Donating Member

Posted - January 19 2006 :  8:34:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
A good general source on this topic is "Captured by the Indians: 15 Firsthand Accounts, 1750-1870," ed. by Frederick Drimmer, an inexpensive Dover paperback that covers both eastern and western frontiers.

Eunice Williams' story is told in great detail in a non-fiction book, "The Unredeemed Captive: A Family Story from Early America" by John Demos.

I believe the book Dances is thinking of -- the fictional version of Mary Jemison's life -- is "The White" by Deborah Larsen, which I liked very much. Our library system (Cumberland County, PA) recently chose it for the "One Community, One Book" program because Mary Jemison's home, from which she was taken by a Shawnee raiding party, is not far from here, in Adams County near Gettysburg.

Bookworm

"I've gotten so fascinated with the eighteenth century, I'm going to stay there." -- David McCullough

"Nothing to it, brother." -- Barack Obama
  Previous Topic: The re-recording of the soundtrack Topic Next Topic: 2006 Gathering  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.45 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07