The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/9/2024 9:19:30 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 The re-recording of the soundtrack
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Madeleine Stowe to star in a TV Drama for CBS! Topic Next Topic: Adopt a european  

Lurking Huron0100
Anonymous Guest

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
November 27 2002

Posted - June 14 2005 :  01:53:25 AM  Reply with Quote

Hi, I'm a newbie to "Last Of The Mohicans" having recently seen the film version for the first time in ten years and buying the soundtrack...

I was reading through the "Mohican" musings pages regarding the soundtrack and they made for fascinating reading. I was disappointed though that there was nothing included regarding the re-recording that Joel McNeely did for Varese Sarabande records.

There were many things that frustrated me about the album. Listened to from begining to end, the sequencing of the tracks is quite disjointed - I found it flowed better when I programmed the tracks to play in the following order:

1. Main Title
2. Elk Hunt
3. The British Arrival
4. Cora
5. River Walk & Discovery
6. The Glade Part II
7. Fort Battle
8. The Courier
9. The Kiss
10. Munro's Office / Stockade
11. Parley
12. Massacre / Canoes
13. Pieces Of A Story
14. Promentory
15. Top Of The World
16. I Will Find You

Even so... I was also frustrated that several tracks were mixed differently from the versions I'd heard in the film and other music from the film was missed out entirely.

Joel McNeely is a composer I respect and I liked the idea of him rerecording "The Last Of The Mohicans" score. I rather hoped that he'd dig out some of the music that had been left out of the first soundtrack. Pieces like:
"The House In Rose Valley"
and
"The Glade Part One"

I also hoped that the tracks "River Walk & Discovery" and "Pieces Of A Story" would be broken up into their respective parts and spaced out over the course of the album - with the tracks presented in chronological order.

I looked at the tracklisting and was disappointed. It seems they've just done a straightforward re-recording of the Jones material with a few of Edelman's tracks tossed in.

I wonder, what does everyone here think of the re-recorded version of the "Last Of The Mohicans" soundtrack? How does the sound quality compare? Which do you guys think is better - the original or the rerecording?

I've tried reading the reviews of online-soundtrack-critics but they all seem to have a gripe against the original. I want to know what the fans think.

What are your thoughts about the
report to moderator

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - June 15 2005 :  2:12:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I have to agree with you. I always thought that the soundtrack was a bit choppy. It starts with something awe inspiring, takes to you swooning, and then leads to war.
I would love to see it reorganized and re-recorded.
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Yankee
Pathfinder

Uncas

January 12 2006

Posted - January 13 2006 :  6:01:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I downloaded the soundtrack into iTunes and have been playing it on my iPod. I honestly didn't know about the seperate music score until I found it, quite by accident, in the iTunes music store today. I took the combination of the two CDs and created my own, with the scores in the order that I knew they were supposed to go.

By the way, I am not advertising for Apple here, but I have to tell you...the LOTM sounds AWESOME on my iPod! I am hearing parts of these pieces come out that we've never heard before. Absolutely amazing and will always be my favorite!

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - January 19 2006 :  12:04:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Odd...I would have thought this topic to get more responses than this.

I live in my own little world - but that's okay, they know me here!

Lurking Huron4775
Anonymous Guest

November 27 2002

Posted - January 20 2006 :  10:10:42 AM  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Ummmm...sorry to be ignorant, but....what was wrong with the first soundtrack? I.e., why has someone fixed what wasn't broken and in the process taken us one step farther from what is true and original? What is the purpose of that? I must be missing something here.

Qasimoto

Yankee
Pathfinder

Uncas

January 12 2006

Posted - January 24 2006 :  09:21:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Lurking Huron4775

Ummmm...sorry to be ignorant, but....what was wrong with the first soundtrack? I.e., why has someone fixed what wasn't broken and in the process taken us one step farther from what is true and original? What is the purpose of that? I must be missing something here.

Qasimoto

Actually, it's not uncommon at all, especially when an orchestra wants to play their version of the piece. I remember quite a few movie scores being adapted. In this case, the National Royal Scottish Orchestra released a CD of it. There are some parts on it that are not on the official soundtrack and it is interesting to hear their renditions. I think it's great that we now have two CDs and it just reaffirms why LOTM is one of the greatest musical movie scores ever produced.
  Previous Topic: Madeleine Stowe to star in a TV Drama for CBS! Topic Next Topic: Adopt a european  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.38 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07