The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/11/2024 7:31:25 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 Sequel plot poll
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page

Author Previous Topic: Which scenes would you change? Topic Next Topic: Time span?
Page: of 2

susquesus
Mad Hermit of the North Woods

Susquesus
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
September 03 2003

Posted - April 19 2005 :  01:02:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
If Michael Mann were to go ahead with a sequel to LOTM which of the below ideas would you prefer?

Choices:

story picks up where LOTM leaves off
a re-telling of LOTM adhering to Coopers story
a prequel depicting the events directly leading up to LOTM
a sequel focusing on Hawkeye and Cora's continued life together
adapt Cooper's "Deerslayer" - takes place 10-15 years previous to LOTM-"The First Warpath"
adapt Cooper's "Pathfinder"-takes place several years after LOTM- could use original cast members
adapt Cooper's "The Pioneers"- Hawkeye and Ching. are in their 70's
adapt Cooper's "The Prairie"- Hawkeye as an old man on the great plains, features his death
none of the above....explain

report to moderator

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - April 19 2005 :  08:43:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Forget it. Not needed, and will most likely damage what many like "just the way it is". "Jaws" was a big hit, - and the sequels made money, - but that's about it. They lost the entire character of the original. One of the sequels even had a shark attacking a helicopter I believe. Talking about reaching for "something", ... G*d knows what!

you can keep "The Change"
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - April 19 2005 :  3:40:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I think any kind of continuation would not do LOTM any good. But a prequel would be rather interesting.

susquesus

Susquesus
USA

September 03 2003

Posted - April 19 2005 :  11:17:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I agree that a sequel per sé is unneccessary. I only bring this up in light of Mr. Roepers interview with Michael Mann in which he said something to the effect it(LOTM) was the only film he had ever made that was worthy of a sequel. I would like to see "Deerslayer" given the same treatment at some point. Not neccesarily by Mann, though, he would be good.

silentthunder
Pioneer

Hawkeye 4
USA

December 15 2004

Posted - April 20 2005 :  03:01:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I would go with the prequel, only because I can't bare watching the movie without my Uncas in it. It wouldn't be as interesting without him in it, so a sequel is definitely out of the question. Therefore, I would love to learn how their life's were when they were younger, and the experiences they encountered before all the drama began. One thing I would especially want to know is what other women they were in love with leading to the love between Hawkeye/Cora and Uncas/Alice. (including Chingachgook)
Seriously speaking, I don't think that these women were their first love's, and if not then I would like to know who the other lucky girls were. This would most definitely make a wonderful story line.

Mitaku Oyasin...
We are all related

Chris
Colonial Settler

Hawkeye II
USA

May 25 2002

Posted - April 20 2005 :  10:38:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Those of you wanting a sequel should read Paul Block's Song of the Mohicans. It is a sequel of sorts that I think you will find satisfactory.

Chris

Christina
Deerslayer

Vampire
USA

May 27 2002

Posted - April 20 2005 :  1:19:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christina's Homepage  Send Christina an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Anybody looking for sequel material should also check Sara Donati's series, which starts with "Into the Wilderness" and documents the relationships of Hawkeye and Cora's son Nathaniel and his wife Elizabeth and their subsequent families. The subsequent books include "Dawn on a Distant Shore" and "Lake in the Clouds." Personally I think the sequels draw away too much from the Elizabeth-Nathaniel coupling which is all I'm really interested in, but it does have a lot of great historical detail and Donati is a very good writer.

See this face? This is the face of a woman on the edge.
Whoopi Goldberg, "Jumping Jack Flash"

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - April 20 2005 :  6:55:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yes! Another "Wilderness" fan!

Chris, can you tell us just a little more about that book, please? Just a few little hints?

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Chris
Colonial Settler

Hawkeye II
USA

May 25 2002

Posted - April 20 2005 :  8:54:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Cora is not in it. Hawkeye and Chingachgook separate at the beginning of the book. The Uncas character is in it.
C.

silentthunder
Pioneer

Hawkeye 4
USA

December 15 2004

Posted - April 20 2005 :  11:19:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Chris, thanks for the info. I must make a trip to the mall and see if I can find the books you mentioned.

Mitaku Oyasin...
We are all related

Dillon1836
Deerslayer

richfed
USA

July 17 2003

Posted - April 20 2005 :  11:46:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dillon1836's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Uncas somehow survives the fall!? ;)

www.alamosentry.com

susquesus

Susquesus
USA

September 03 2003

Posted - April 21 2005 :  12:44:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
...and the knife ol' Magua stirred around in his giblets?

Chris
Colonial Settler

Hawkeye II
USA

May 25 2002

Posted - April 21 2005 :  02:16:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
You'll have to read the book to see how the author works it out. I think it would make a good movie, although different from LOTM.
Chris

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - April 21 2005 :  09:14:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Aaaaaaack! No Cora?

Noooooooooooooooooooooo..............

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

chasis_22
Colonial Settler

Mohican Brothers
USA

April 19 2003

Posted - April 21 2005 :  2:56:43 PM  Show Profile  Send chasis_22 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Definitely have to go for a prequel. I think it would be a big hit!

Redbird
Pioneer

USA

August 25 2004

Posted - April 21 2005 :  3:43:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I also read the first of the "Into the Wilderness" series and thought it was good! Also thought Donati was heavily infuenced by the imagery of the movie - Who wouldn't be?! ;-) And I also would rather not mess with LOTM: but would love to see a movie version of "The Deerslayer". Somewhere else (maybe under "if Alice and Uncas hadn't died"...?) Dark Woods came up with an alternate ending that I *really* got a kick out of though!

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - February 02 2007 :  08:26:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I picked prequel to Mann's version, partly because I'd be curious to see how Mann saw the characters' lives before the movie. There are such great differences between the movie and Cooper's books that adapting Deerslayer or The Prairie wouldn't make any sense alongside Mann's version.

Here's what I mean: Deerslayer shows Hawkeye and Ching as roughly the same age, with Hawkeye helping Ching rescue the woman who will become Uncas's mother. The Prairie takes place very far in the future, and features the grandson of Alice and Duncan (who get married after the events of Cooper's LOTM) as a character. Clearly, said grandson can't exist if Duncan gets roasted in the Huron fires and Alice throws herself off a cliff!

So, I'd like to see, following the lines of Mann's story, Hawkeye and Uncas growing up together, and also Cora and Alice's early life. We could find out exactly what Cora is referring to (in the director's cut) when she tells Duncan that she and Alice have depended on him since childhood. (Along the same lines, I'd like to know if Duncan and Cora were ever childhood sweethearts. Or, if not, how did he come to be so in love with her while she can only think of him as a friend?) We might also be able to undestand Alice a little better if we could see into her clearly very sheltered childhood!

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - February 02 2007 :  09:27:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I picked the prequel too. That way we get to see more Uncas.

IG

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - February 02 2007 :  09:31:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
A prequel where I stand in for Alice AND a little romance can happen between Uncas and myself

I live in my own little world - but that's okay, they know me here!

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - February 02 2007 :  1:47:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Light of the Moon

A prequel AND a little romance between Uncas and myself...uh...I mean Alice!

I never knew you were that way inclined. So it's really Alice you secretly crave a little romance with

That's okay You can have her and I'll take my man Uncas and his big weapon

IG

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - February 02 2007 :  1:55:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
What are you talking about, Irish? That was pretty low to change my post all around like that! And all because of Uncas too. You may have a slight jealousy issue. Maybe you need some therapy!

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - February 02 2007 :  2:07:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Where's Obi when you need him Light He would sure have fun with you regarding this one Probably involving You and Alice and a trip to the 'ole mudpit Typical man, never around when you need him Sorry guys

IG

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - February 02 2007 :  2:10:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Obi? You two are in this together aren't you!
Out to get me! Changing the words in my posts! That's it!

You....Me....Obi...The mud pit...12M!

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - February 02 2007 :  2:19:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Oops, my post accidentally double posted again!

Just for you Irish!

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - February 02 2007 :  2:22:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Oops, my post accidentally doubled again!
Tee-Hee!

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - February 02 2007 :  2:23:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Oh My Gawd Mercy me she's gonna do vodoo on me now All because I found out her true feelings towards Alice

No worries, I'll just put a counter-curse on you Light See whose magic is stronger

IG
Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Which scenes would you change? Topic Next Topic: Time span?  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.56 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07