The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/9/2024 3:26:42 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 Campaign for a Special Edition DVD for "Last of the Mohicans"
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page

Author Previous Topic: Final Thoughts Topic Next Topic: Has anybody seen this site?
Page: of 2

Gandalf
Lost in the Wilderness

Mad Scientist

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
April 08 2005

Posted - April 11 2005 :  12:31:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm starting this new thread to make sure that some really interesting stuff I posted doesn't get lost on this message board.

The most relevant posts are in the thread "Alice looks towrd Uncas" at this URL:

http://www.mohicanpress.com/messageboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3030&whichpage=2

To summarize, a recent LA Times article came out which indicated that the DVD distributors are actively recruiting fan input in order to generate new DVD products out of their large libraries of movie and TV shows that have up to now been sitting idly, not earning their keep. The interest on both sides is pretty obvious. Fans have this passion for some old TV show or movie, and the DVD companies want to make money and will put just about anything the fans want on these DVDs, especially if they know the fans will buy the stuff.

People on this message board have been actively involved with trying to get Michael Mann to do a new DVD of "Last of the Mohicans", but I think this has been the wrong approach. Certainly it has not worked so far.

Read the article in that other thread. The LA Times makes it clear that fans of other TV shows and movies have been able to get the DVD they want by actively engaging in a dialogue with the DVD distributors, who are eager for fan input.

I e-mailed Elaine Dutka, the writer of that LA Times article (her email address, like all LA Times writers, is Her.Name@latimes.com - Elaine.Dutka@latimes.com) and she told me that the contact person at Fox (the DVD distributor for LOTM) is Steve Feldstein, and his phone number is 310-369-5369.

I would recommend that people ask for a 3-disc Special Edition version of LOTM - the Preview Version, the Main Theatrical Release version, and the Director's Cut version, all together. Squeezed into this DVD set could be the additional Deleted Footage, "Making of" stuff, and of course, commentary from as many people from the cast and crew as they can get.

This isn't a pipe dream. As has been posted onto the Amazon.com customer review section for the movie "Bladerunner" a 3-disc Special Edition Version has been in the works with a similar lineup of 3 versions of the movie. This Special Edition has been held up only by some sort of a legal/personal dispute with the owners of the movie.

If "MacGyver" can make a comeback as a DVD, surely the fans of LOTM can get the DVD that they want.

SO GET TO WORK EVERYBODY! Let Steve Feldstein know about this great website and about how much you care about this movie, and about how much you want to buy this DVD, and all the extra stuff that you want to see back in this movie, especially the Alice-Uncas love story (which exists in the Preview Version).

report to moderator

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - April 11 2005 :  05:30:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Gandalf sounds serious!
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Fitz Williams
Colonial Militia

USA

May 19 2002

Posted - April 11 2005 :  08:22:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
This would make for a great premier showing at the Skyland Arts Cinema in 2006! Red carpet going out into the street, Madeleine Stowe arriving in a limo. Great possibilities.

chasis_22
Colonial Settler

Mohican Brothers
USA

April 19 2003

Posted - April 11 2005 :  1:48:34 PM  Show Profile  Send chasis_22 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Did I read that right or was I dreaming? Did you say that the Uncas and Alice Love story does exsist! That's it I want the movie re-released and I want my added scenes. What do we have to do Gandalf?

Lurking Huron9787
Anonymous Guest

November 27 2002

Posted - April 11 2005 :  7:27:28 PM  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I'm wondering if it would be better to get a petition of sorts together (or a place where people could "sign" that we could later send) or if it would be better for people to contact Fox seperately?

UncasLover13
Colonial Settler

USA

May 17 2004

Posted - April 23 2005 :  8:00:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Please keep me updated on what goes on guys! I'll do whatever I can to get the new version of LOTM, just let me know what I have to do!

--Nora

pala
Pathfinder

AI
USA

November 14 2003

Posted - April 24 2005 :  2:42:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
is that all to the new dvd of the movie, just alice/and uncas love scene or more? Anyway, I'm gonna write this Steve too, I'd love to have the new dvd!

"I saw nothing that would lead me to the conclusion that it was other than a raid by savages bent on thievery." --Major Heyward

Lurking Huron9943
Anonymous Guest

November 27 2002

Posted - April 25 2005 :  7:41:10 PM  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I think we should ask for a special edition in general...with deleted scenes (including the Alice/Uncas ones of course ;D), maybe some commentaries and interviews with some of the actors and different versions of the film (i.e. original theatrical version, director's expanded, the mysterious "preview" version [if it exists]). I think if we're organized and can specifically say what kind of things we'd like to see it might make a better statement.

Lurking Huron9977
Anonymous Guest

November 27 2002

Posted - April 27 2005 :  9:03:36 PM  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
is there an email address for this steve feldstein?

silentthunder
Pioneer

Hawkeye 4
USA

December 15 2004

Posted - April 30 2005 :  03:39:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info Gandalf Do you know if this guy Steve has an available e-mail address, or should I call the number you listed?? As you mentioned this isn't a pipe dream, and it can be done.... Thanks for all the information you have given us. C'mon everyone, let's grab our torches and get to work. Let's get Steve's attention and have our voices heard. Who's with me, my torch is ready!!

Mitaku Oyasin...
We are all related

Gandalf
Lost in the Wilderness

Mad Scientist

April 08 2005

Posted - May 04 2005 :  12:09:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Steve Feldstein's e-mail addresss is:

steve.feldstein@fox.com

Let him know of your interest! Tell him what you want to see in a new DVD. Tell him why just having the Director's Cut version available on DVD in the U.S. is not enough.

Region 2 and 4 DVDs have come out with the Main Theatrical Release - that would be Europe and Australia - Fox does not have the rights to this movie outside of the U.S., Warner does.

aksara
Lost in the Wilderness

Native Firebird
USA

May 07 2005

Posted - May 08 2005 :  2:42:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thank you for the info Gandalf. I have just sent my e-mail to Steve Feldstein and hope many others do the same. I am going to tell everyone I know! By the way, I am new here, having just discovered this website a few days ago. Of course, I have been a LOTM fan much longer. Hello everyone! It's great to find this place!

Lookbackatme
Pathfinder

Uncas
United Kingdom

May 10 2005

Posted - May 12 2005 :  12:40:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hello

I would be very much interested in trying to get a new version of the DVD release - am especially dying to see "that" uncas & Alice seen.

I read somewhere that you can start an online petition, and I think this would be a good idea. Recently, a programme that I very much enjoyed here in the UK had no plans to be released, so fans set up an online petition, gaining 1000 signatures, and the DVD was released 5 months later, though I should stress, they were obviously not as big a company as what we are dealing with here!

Hopefully they will listen to us eager fans!!! *fingers crosses*

Lookbackatme

"Try as we might, happy as we were, we cannot go back."

Lurking Huron9977
Anonymous Guest

November 27 2002

Posted - May 14 2005 :  3:39:20 PM  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Mr. Feldstein,

Over the years, Fox has put out an amazing number of high quality movies, on the big screen, on VHS, and on DVD. However, I can believe that one of your most beloved movies of all time, The Last of the Mohicans, would get to disregarded. I know that a special Director's edition of this film has been released, but, as many people believe, this edition does nothing to expand or improve the film, but rather cuts footage that was in the first version of the film. This is quite unheard of. This "extended" edition is not five minutes longer than the original, and certainly not of the same quality.

Fans had eagerly awaited that new edition, only to be bitterly disappointed. It contained none of the scenes they had been waiting to see, such as the now infamous, Uncas and Alice scene, that I know many people want to see. Online one can find countless fans of The Last of the Mohicans pining away for a scene with these two characters, whose storyline was so harshly taken apart. I know many people are even unaware of their relationship, while others don't even believe there was one. I deeply believe that a new edition of the film with restored footage would immensly help in the understanding and scope of the film. Other fans would also like to see some mistakes in the film rectified.

No matter the reason, I believe a new version of The Last of the Mohicans, with all possible footage restored would be immensly beneficial, both to ardent fans, occasional movie lovers, and Fox Entertainment. It is my belief that Fox could greatly profit from a new release of The Last of the Mohicans. Fans had no great love for the previously released director's edition DVD, and many are warning other lovers of the movie to stay away from the DVD. A new, beloved edition would undoubtedly spur profits. I know that a new version with restored footage would be purchased by an innumerable population of movie lovers and fans.

Thank you,
Joyce Lane

---this is my email! now send your!---

Lurking Huron6314
Anonymous Guest

November 27 2002

Posted - May 15 2005 :  10:45:24 PM  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Wicked good email, Joyce!

Paula
Pathfinder

United Kingdom

May 09 2005

Posted - May 16 2005 :  08:14:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Gandalf

Steve Feldstein's e-mail addresss is:

steve.feldstein@fox.com

Let him know of your interest! Tell him what you want to see in a new DVD. Tell him why just having the Director's Cut version available on DVD in the U.S. is not enough.

Region 2 and 4 DVDs have come out with the Main Theatrical Release - that would be Europe and Australia - Fox does not have the rights to this movie outside of the U.S., Warner does.

Hi Gandalf

Will e mail Steve Feldstein now! I am in the UK and did not even know that there was a Director's Cut of LOTM! Out of interest, do you know what is in the Director's Cut that is not contained in the main release.

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - May 17 2005 :  06:36:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
See: http://www.mohicanpress.com/mo06036.html Paula ...

Redbird
Pioneer

USA

August 25 2004

Posted - May 17 2005 :  5:08:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I've been following and coming back to this thread and of course, like so many of us, I would love to see a much more expanded version come out on DVD, with the deleted scenes and dialogue restored, as well as lots of additional footage. And of course actors, directors, production, writers commentary would also be welcome... maybe even throw in a couple historians for good measure? After watching the extended versions of two of the "Lord of the Rings" series though; a thought that originally nagged me after seeing the DVD of LOTM, reared it's ugly head again. Today's viewers have quickly become accustomed to all sorts of additional material being available on almost every new film that comes out in DVD format. And directors and producers have now had time to adapt to this fact and plan for the possibilities it affords. Someone can shoot a film now, knowing that even though much of the footage will not make the theatrical release, it can be presented in another format later on. Peter Jackson's LOTR was filmed with this in mind; I'm not at all sure that LOTM was. I guess what I'm getting at here is the scary idea that we might not have a huge amount of "workable" footage to deal with? There may not be large, cohesive parts of the narrative there to add. My first impression of the DVD version, as a former film school student (and *not* as a rabid LOTM fan) was "Jeeesh... if this is the extended footage, then Michael Mann must have had a really clean cut to start with!". I've heard of directors that are able to work that way. They know exactly what they want before they ever start shooting a particular scene; and if they adhere closely to the script they're working with, they may not end up with much extra material at all. This takes someone with talent and not just concern for the budget, or the film would suffer. I wonder if MM's TV background hadn't helped him hone some of that ability. So, it *is* a scary thought - but what if (other than the Uncas & Alice scene) there really isn't that much footage to add? YIKES!! It would be a testament to MM's skill as a filmmaker, but would sure be a real bummer for the rest of us!

Lookbackatme
Pathfinder

Uncas
United Kingdom

May 10 2005

Posted - May 18 2005 :  2:43:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Just a thought: I'm sure I read somewhere here that at one point LOTM was 3 hours long, so perhaps there would be some extra footage after all?! Though I do agree, we are never going to get the amount of additional features that can be seen on DVDs for films such as LOTR, but I think an insight from a historical perspective would be fascinating.

Lookbackatme

"Try as we might, happy as we were, we cannot go back."

Gasaka Soquilla
Pioneer

Duel Heritage
USA

October 17 2002

Posted - May 21 2005 :  8:25:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Gasaka Soquilla's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
*IF* a "special edition" dvd were to be produced (& I for one am for this) then I'd like to see some "goofs" digitally removed (i.e. elk handler / bus / & megaphone man). In this day & age of computer generated effects I never understood why Michael Mann didn't do this with the re-eleased "Directors Cut"?

GasakaSoquilla
(Lighthorse)

Adjutant;
Joseph Brant's Volunteers
BAR Unit #225

pala
Pathfinder

AI
USA

November 14 2003

Posted - May 24 2005 :  1:45:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi guys, this is Pala, I just sent my email. I hope he decides to make a new DVD of the film. We need to see MORE of Last of the Mohicans. I would love to see how the Alice/Uncas realationship would've turned out. People who haven't sent in their letters---please do so now!!!!! Help LOTM OUT!!!!! If we all work together we will get a new dvd of the film. YEA!!!!!!!!

"I saw nothing that would lead me to the conclusion that it was other than a raid by savages bent on thievery." --Major Heyward

misschanelno5
Pioneer

USA

July 01 2004

Posted - May 25 2005 :  7:02:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit misschanelno5's Homepage  Send misschanelno5 an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I can't help but notice most of the spirit behind this effort is coming from many of the newer folks. (Not that that's not great that they -- we -- are fired up!) But none of the "wise elders", if you will, seem to be on board, with the exception of a few comments by Rich. Which makes me wonder why?

My assumption is that after the last campaign, which helped bring about the somewhat disappointing director's cut DVD, the enthsiasm for another push just isn't there. Am I right? Weigh in and let us all know what you think.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."
"Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing."
-- Oscar Wilde

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - May 26 2005 :  06:49:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
You might be on to something there ... I did send an E-mail, though. But, hey, I actually LIKE the Expanded Edition!

Experience tells me any push for anything needs an organizer/leader to be effective and reach fruition. This effort is lacking that ... so far.

Rich
Mohican Press

Doc M
Great Quack Healer of the Frontier

Wicked Unicorn
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - May 26 2005 :  3:55:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well, I don't know that I count as "wise" but I'm certainly an
elder member of this Board. My comments are not meant to put
a damper on anyone's enthusiasm, but I'm inclined to agree with
Redbird. I think back in 1992, Michael Mann shot what he shot, cut a
lot of it "in the camera," and that's it.

I've seen every version of this movie that there is, including
all the odd snippets that were occasionally added in broadcast
viewings, and I don't think there's any "treasure trove" of
scenes just waiting to be added to another DVD. I don't know where
the idea of this huge extra Uncas/Alice love story came from -- it's
not in the shooting script that I have, and I've never seen any
reference to it. Like everybody, I wish there was more of everything -- especially my beloved Hawkeye -- but I'm content to
let the movie stand as it is now, in both the VHS and DVD versions.
We all love this movie and it's wonderful, but it's never been a
cult favorite like some of the scifi things. In 1992 it would not have been terribly common to think of saving all the cut stuff for possible inclusion in some later format. People were mostly renting,
not buying, videos. At some point you have to respect the director's vision of what he wanted the movie to be, and just let it go.

Also, this topic has been hashed and rehashed so many times on the
Board over the past few years that speaking for myself, I just
don't have anything left to say on the topic. I'm done chewed out.

This is all strictly my own opinion, of course -- I'm probably in the minority, but that's why you won't see this particular GGGG getting involved in this.

Doc M

misschanelno5
Pioneer

USA

July 01 2004

Posted - May 26 2005 :  6:49:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit misschanelno5's Homepage  Send misschanelno5 an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I agree that the theatrical and director's cut are great as they stand, and I definately appreciate the artistic control those releases use. (Could they have inspired so much here if the final product hadn't been directed with a firm hand? I don't feel that they could!)

Still, if there is extra footage, I'd be curious to see it!

Maybe the first step should be finding out if this nest of footage actually does exist. If it turns out some "unseen" stuff is out there, THEN the deluge could follow from this group. Until then, it seems like there's too much uncertainty. No one really knows what, specifically, to ask for.

Appears it could go either way as to whether extra goodies are really out there ...

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."
"Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing."
-- Oscar Wilde

Donna
Colonial Settler

last of the mohicans
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - May 27 2005 :  12:46:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Donna's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I sent my email to Mr. Feldstein on May 8th. Of course I didn't
receive any reply back.
I told him how I like the new scenes in the Director's cut but that I
wanted the deleted scenes back. I told him they could make this movie
much longer and we'll buy it.
We know there is a lot more footage well preserved by Fox if you'll
read the link that Rich provided. It has the interview with Michael
Mann. In it Mann tells why he took out the Clannad song that we all love.

I doubt that we'll ever see our ultimate LOTM version unless Mr. Feldstein
is unindated with requests. Thousands I would guess....
I did my part. Now every single fan needs to write him too!
Donna

Been onboard since 1998.

"Push hard, 'cos you got to clear the French outpost by dawn."
Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Final Thoughts Topic Next Topic: Has anybody seen this site?  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.53 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07