The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/12/2024 5:18:54 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 What is the Most Romantic Movie Ever?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page

Author Previous Topic: Making of video Topic Next Topic: Wes Studi on PBS
Page: of 2

Kathy S
Lost in the Wilderness

USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
June 26 2002

Posted - June 11 2005 :  04:17:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Romeo and Juliet, the Franco Zefferelli version.

Two hot-blooded teenagers, hopelessly in love, isn't that romance in a nutshell? When Romeo sputters the line about "worms for chambermaids" at Juliet's grave, I cry everytime. Not unlike LOTM, the music is an integral part of the film. It's beautiful! Lots of romance in this film.

Heck, it's all about romance. These two would have been alive if only they had spent a little more time with other and let the reality of their predicament set in. Nonetheless, it's a classic story and a decent film. And, for the most part, they stuck to the dialog as it was written. So, it's not a bad way to check out some Shakespeare.
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Lurking Huron7080
Anonymous Guest

November 27 2002

Posted - June 14 2005 :  12:56:23 AM  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Gone With The Wind!

Christina
Deerslayer

Vampire
USA

May 27 2002

Posted - June 14 2005 :  11:42:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christina's Homepage  Send Christina an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
That's another one of my favorites...and I mentioned this one in another thread about this same topic under the "Movies" section, but I just loved "Kate and Leopold" with Hugh Jackman and Meg Ryan. I don't know why but that movie just really made me smile and had a really romantic feel to it.

See this face? This is the face of a woman on the edge.
Whoopi Goldberg, "Jumping Jack Flash"

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - June 15 2005 :  2:05:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Lurking Huron7080

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Gone With The Wind!

Me too! That is another favorite.

I live in my own little world - but that's okay, they know me here!

micha74b
Pathfinder

Aquarius
USA

July 14 2005

Posted - July 18 2005 :  12:10:09 AM  Show Profile  Send micha74b an AOL message  Send micha74b a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by chasis_22

Stolen Women Captured Hearts!

Stolen Women Captured Hearts! I love this one too. And of cors LOTM. Not a lot of people know this movie. Full of romance and love and....

Michaela

rydergrl
Colonial Settler

Pisces
USA

November 03 2003

Posted - July 18 2005 :  6:51:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Given the fact that LOTM is my favorite romantic movie, I'm also quite fond of Sense and Sensability and Pretty Woman.

What you give of yourself is priceless.

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - July 18 2005 :  7:59:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
That astounds me, - LOTM is a movie about an historical novel. I doubt it was ever intended as a romantic novel. Amazing how people can see the same movie, - and come away with opinions that are 180* apart.

you can keep "The Change"

chasis_22
Colonial Settler

Mohican Brothers
USA

April 19 2003

Posted - August 04 2005 :  10:40:40 AM  Show Profile  Send chasis_22 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Nice to see someone else has seen Stolen Women Captured Hearts. Nothing like seeing a half naked Native American hunt you until you give into to his passions and love!

Lurking Huron9269
Anonymous Guest

November 27 2002

Posted - September 06 2005 :  5:13:24 PM  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I agree with everyone. LOTM has to be one of the best romances out there. You've got the hot and heavy Nathaniel/Cora Munro angle, but I think the more subtle Alice/Uncas story thread adds so much more to it.

I think what makes me vote for LOTM as the BEST is because even during the kissing scene, they never ripped each other's clothes off and "jumped in the sack". It was more about the touching and kissing.
The biggest downfall for romantic movies is how the two characters are "doing the deed" right away. To me, that makes the whole thing all about the sex. I love the kissing scene because that's ALL they're doing. It seems so much deeper than if the two of them would have just had sex.

The Alice/Uncas thread is so compelling because of what you DON'T see. You know there are all these feelings going on between them, but they're never able to act on them. (can't get more Romeo and Juliet than that!) If I may digress, for just a moment. One of the reasons the X-files was such a popular show is because of that unspoken attraction between the two main characters. They didn't even KISS until almost the end of the series and it drove people NUTS! Everyone who watched the show KNEW those two were hot for each other and they all had such fun trying to predict how and when it was going to happen.

I think that's why most of us here are so hooked on the Alice/Uncas love angle, it's so much more fun to speculate about what MIGHT have happened and how. Had Alice and Uncas "hooked up" it would ruin the appeal.

JonnyBoy
Lost in the Wilderness

USA

September 03 2005

Posted - September 17 2005 :  08:34:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
This is a great topic. I recently just started enjoying romantic movies, and I have been trying to get my hands on all the ones I can find.
LOTM of course. I'm not sure if it's my all time favorite movie, but it's the top 3 for sure.

Cold Mountain
Braveheart
Robin Hood
The Princess Bride. (Although a little cheesy)
Sense and sensibility
Dangerous Liaisons
Legends of the Fall
As good as it gets

I know I'm missing a really important one, but I can't think of it.

JonnyBoy
Lost in the Wilderness

USA

September 03 2005

Posted - September 17 2005 :  08:42:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
The biggest downfall for romantic movies is how the two characters are "doing the deed" right away. To me, that makes the whole thing all about the sex. I love the kissing scene because that's ALL they're doing. It seems so much deeper than if the two of them would have just had sex.

I have to agree with that. I was so afraid Cold Mountain was going to be ruined because I thought that Inman was going to sleep with Natale Portman's character. I was so relieved when he told her that he loved someone else. Now that's honor.

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - September 17 2005 :  11:02:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
As to "Dangerous Liaisons", there is another movie called "Valmont" which is the same story, only better casting, better acting, better costuming, better directing, better editing, better scenery. Other than that, pertty much the same.

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - September 22 2005 :  7:18:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
AHHHH! It's the thread that never ends!
Just Kidding! I like this thread - and I changed my mind. The most romantice movie ever is - LOTM! Of course!

Stryker16
Pathfinder

USA

October 06 2005

Posted - October 06 2005 :  10:53:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
My vote goes for Casablanca as well. There's just something about loving someone so much you're willing to let them go because you know it's the right thing to do. A close second would be either Father Goose or Housboat, both starring Cary Grant. I like them both to much to put one over the other.

Mark

Lord, Make Me Fast and Accurate

Tara1189
Lost in the Wilderness

The Kiss 2
United Kingdom

October 23 2005

Posted - October 27 2005 :  1:54:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Last of the Mohicans, because it has the most beautiful onscreen kiss ever seen in cinema. I love the transcendant romance between Hawkeye and Cora...it makes me sigh every time I watch it.

Titanic, for obvious reasons.

And also the BBC mini series of Pride and Prejudice. Another example of a film that didn't need endless love scenes to make it romantic. Jennifer Ehle's expressive eyes and Colin Firth's smouldering glances make it one of the hottest things seen on television.

"I will find you, no matter how long it takes, no matter how far." ~ Hawkeye

Kaylynn44
Mohicanite

Sunset
USA

July 13 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 28 2005 :  10:14:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kaylynn44's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
And also the BBC mini series of Pride and Prejudice. Another example of a film that didn't need endless love scenes to make it romantic. Jennifer Ehle's expressive eyes and Colin Firth's smouldering glances make it one of the hottest things seen on television.

Has anybody seen the new Pride and Prejudice with Keira Knightley? I have heard that it is a very good movie, but it is hard to think of anybody as Mr. Darcy besides Colin Firth.

Love,
Kay

~ An Infinite Zephyr~
Some things never end
As long as goodness exists
Winds shall always soothe

www.cloudsbooks.com

Gadget Girl
Gatherer of Gathering Gadgets

Winking Lady
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 28 2005 :  10:19:28 AM  Show Profile  Send Gadget Girl an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Kaylynn44

Has anybody seen the new Pride and Prejudice with Keira Knightley? I have heard that it is a very good movie, but it is hard to think of anybody as Mr. Darcy besides Colin Firth.

Love,
Kay

I'm with ya on that one , Sista'!!!

Lady Mohican
Lost in the Wilderness

Cancer
USA

February 16 2010

Posted - June 12 2010 :  01:35:49 AM  Show Profile  Send Lady Mohican a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
The Lover
Anna and The King
Stolen Women Captured Hearts
Marigold
The Bodyguard
Shanghai Kiss

morgaine
Pioneer

USA

May 19 2002

Posted - June 17 2010 :  9:26:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
"Last of the Mohicans", Zeffirelli's "Romeo and Juliet" and "Doctor Zhivago"

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - June 20 2010 :  9:18:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
What? Nobody picked Brokeback Montain?

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - June 24 2010 :  09:14:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Obediah

What? Nobody picked Brokeback Montain?

You just did

I think of "Titanic" and "SWCH" that Tokala sure won my heart. Also "Love Story". I love LOTM and it does have a love story in it but not a romantic movie. It's and action/adventure story.

IG

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - June 28 2010 :  7:37:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
No, I didn't!

If I were to choose one, it would probably be Gods and Generals. If only they hadn't recycled the facial hair from Gettysbeard!!

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - July 01 2010 :  09:49:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
You know Obes I have to say the "Twilight saga" should be right up there at the top of the list of most romantic movies ever The "love triangle" between Edward/Bella/Jacob is great and the love between Edward and Bella is like no other

IG

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - November 11 2010 :  8:49:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply

I watched LOTM the other night with my daughter and I still cried at the end.

The 1993 release is almost twenty, which means we've seen it thousands of times and relentlessly we still swoon at Uncas' close up and cry at his death.

LOTM is definitely the MOST romantic movie.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Making of video Topic Next Topic: Wes Studi on PBS  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.44 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07