The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/12/2024 6:25:59 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 OFF THE BEATEN TRAIL
 Movies, Movies, More Movies! Any Movies!
 Reality TV?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Alexander Topic Next Topic: Horatio is back!  

Christina
Deerslayer

Vampire
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 27 2002

Posted - January 31 2005 :  3:26:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christina's Homepage  Send Christina an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Okay, so it isn't a movie. But I didn't know where else to put this.
I'll admit it. I've had it. I can't stand to watch those monsters Stacy and Clinton criticize any more wardrobes on "What Not To Wear," I don't care who sings off key in "American Idol," and I want to vote everybody in "Survivor" off the island. I'm sick of reality TV. What do you think about this phenomenon that's invaded seemingly every channel on TV? Like it? Love it? Couldn't care less? Vote and then, if you like one of these shows, tell us why. Or if you hate one, like I do Stacy and Clinton, tell us why also...How do you feel about reality TV?

Choices:

Can't stand it, won't watch it.
I like a couple shows. But the rest stink.
I LOVE reality TV! Can't go a night without it...
What's reality TV? For that matter, what's reality?

See this face? This is the face of a woman on the edge.
Whoopi Goldberg, "Jumping Jack Flash"

report to moderator

Stephanie
Gathering Sachemess

Hiking Smurf Avatar
USA

June 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 31 2005 :  4:42:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I am proud to say I've seen one episode of American Idol (that was enough) and a half episode of Fear Factor (that was more than enough.) I can't believe people really watch this crap!

Steph <---watching re-runs of older stuff
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Carter
Colonial Militia

Tiger
USA

August 28 2003

Donating Member

Posted - January 31 2005 :  4:56:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I've never seen any of those shows that you metion, but enjoy Court Tv which is a sort of "reality show" in a sense. I like "Cops" and "Forensic Detective" etc.

Christina
Deerslayer

Vampire
USA

May 27 2002

Posted - January 31 2005 :  5:45:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christina's Homepage  Send Christina an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Gotta agree with you there, Carter. I love the shows on "Court TV" but I don't really consider the documentaries and stuff on Court TV, Discovery, History channel, etc. to be in the same league as the bug-eating on "Fear Factor." Court TV and the others mentioned had been doing good, quality, real-life based shows long before the rest of the fad took off. And yes, even "Cops" is better than the stuff the networks call reality TV. I always love when they get the funny drunk guys...my favorite was a guy who danced around with a traffic cone on his head.

My arch-enemies on reality TV are Stacy and Clinton from "What Not to Wear." (on TLC.) I'm all for helping people look a little better, but these people seem bent on sucking all the individuality out of everybody. All the women end up getting stuck in short jackets and pointed shoes, and all the guys get tailored jeans and blazers...they take any variety of style from retro to surfer to down-home country boy/girl and change them into homogenous trendiness. This show, in my opinion, is the ultimate example of our culture not wanting to accept people as they are anymore, but rather to change them into a pre-conceived mold. My idea is, if a guy wants to wear his Heineken beer T-shirt or a girl wants to wear her white go go boots, as long as they're clean, who really cares?

See this face? This is the face of a woman on the edge.
Whoopi Goldberg, "Jumping Jack Flash"

Fitz Williams
Colonial Militia

USA

May 19 2002

Posted - January 31 2005 :  7:57:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Reality TV is GREAT, because, every new "Reality" program means that there is one less CSI.

Well, not really great, but if it keeps a CSI off the air, then . . .

misschanelno5
Pioneer

USA

July 01 2004

Posted - January 31 2005 :  8:42:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit misschanelno5's Homepage  Send misschanelno5 an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
"What Not to Wear." (on TLC.) This show, in my opinion, is the ultimate example of our culture not wanting to accept people as they are anymore, but rather to change them into a pre-conceived mold.

How about that show "The Swan", that makes people over using cosmetic surgery? I've never been able to bring myself to watch it, but ... ick. Is it still on the air??

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."
"Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing."
-- Oscar Wilde

susquesus
Mad Hermit of the North Woods

Susquesus
USA

September 03 2003

Posted - February 01 2005 :  2:35:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I rail against this crap with my friends every day. The whole plastic surgery, dating, eat weird crap shows are worthless. The few exceptions I've made are USA's Eco-Challenge and PBS's "Frontier House", "Manor House", "1900 House", and "Colonial House".

CT•Ranger
Colonial Militia

indian ... nicholas
USA

October 14 2002

Posted - February 01 2005 :  6:20:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by susquesus

The few exceptions I've made are USA's Eco-Challenge and PBS's "Frontier House", "Manor House", "1900 House", and "Colonial House".

Eco-Challange has been one of my favorites for a long time, and it was on way before the reality tv fad hit. Adventure racing is one of my favorite sports, and the only sport I car really stand to watch on tv, besides the occaisonal baseball game. One of my dreams is to attempt the Eco-challange or another smaller adventure race someday.

The PBS "Frontier House" and "Colonial House" were good, but not as good as the BBC shows they copied "1900 House," "Manor House," "1940s House," and "Regency House Party." It would great if the BBC folks came over hear and did an "18th Century House," heck it'd even be good if they just stayed in England for it.

YMHS,
Connecticut•Ranger
Thomas Thacher

Theresa
Bumppo's Tavern Proprietress

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - February 12 2005 :  2:30:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hello Christina!!

We watch only one reality show...Survivor...and when the new season starts next Thursday, we'll REALLy be watching because there will be three contestants from Alabama.

IMO...the best of American Idol is the very first few shows when the "talent" is Sooooo bad it's comical. Who can forget William Hung? Of course, Alabama has their own in Reuben Studdard.

Fitz, as for CSI...we've become quite addicted to those here at the Williams' residence. Claude would beg to differ with you on that.

Theresa

caitlin
Bumppos Tavern Patron

MMBrand
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - February 12 2005 :  4:23:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit caitlin's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I'm sorry, I just can't get into "American Idol".
When we got our recent cell phone bill and it said that I could download "American Idol" ringtones, I almost gagged!

Jack McCall: "Should we shake hands or something, relieve the atmosphere. I mean how stupid do you think I am?"
Wild Bill Hickok: "I don't know, I just met you."

"A nation with no regard to it's past will have little future worth remembering."
A.Lincoln

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize that they were the big things"
  Previous Topic: Alexander Topic Next Topic: Horatio is back!  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.39 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07