The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/10/2024 4:23:36 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 COLONIAL TIMES
 The French & Indian War
 Montcalm's Strategy at the Battle of the Plains of Abraham
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Pennsylvania F&I source? Topic Next Topic: Interesting article.  

travelkev
Lost in the Wilderness

United Kingdom

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
January 24 2005

Posted - January 24 2005 :  11:54:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit travelkev's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dear All

I am trying to track down any commentaries about Montcalm's strategy at the Battle of the Plains of Abraham, especially source material in french (I am writing an essay for my french exam).

Thanks in advance for anything you know of either in print or on the web.

Kevin
report to moderator

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 24 2005 :  3:20:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi Kevin,

As for French accounts of the battle, they are somewhat limited (History is always written by the victors, seldom by the vanquished). The best French accounts can be found in Hamilton's translation of the journal of Louis Antoine de Bougainville, titled Adventure In The Wilderness. These cover not just Quebec, but Ticonderoga and other major engagements as well. Gallup's translation of Bonin's memoirs is also fairly good, but alot of what he has is 'second-hand' information. Cardy's translation of Pouchot's Memoirs On The Late War In North America Between France And England gives a good view as to the author's own contribution to the Siege of Quebec.

As to my own view on the French command strategy of the battle, it can be put into one word... 'Panic'. Montcalm realized too late that he had 'left the back door open' (Failing to secure all paths up to the Plains of Abraham), and hurried to rectify his error. Unfortunately for him, General Wolfe was no 'Abercromby', and he possessed the dash and brillance to take advantage of Montcalm's mistake. I hope this helps, and good luck on your research project.

Your Most Humble Servant,

Serjeant-Major Duncan Munro
Capt. Thos. Graham's Coy.
42nd Royal Highland Regiment of Foote
(The Black Sheep of the Black Watch)

"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
-Or-
"Recruit locally, fight globally."
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Fitz Williams
Colonial Militia

USA

May 19 2002

Posted - January 24 2005 :  4:30:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I agree. There was no strategy. He just attacked in hopes that the British were not yet ready. They were.

CT•Ranger
Colonial Militia

indian ... nicholas
USA

October 14 2002

Posted - January 24 2005 :  5:53:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Montcalm had good reason to believe he could break the British line on the Plains of Abraham. He outnumbered the British about 4 to 1. Plus the Brits were stretched out in a thin line only two ranks deep, when the norm of the day was 3. If Montcalm had waited, the British numbers on the plain would only increase. Where his attack failed was in discipline. The French fired too early, then broke in a disorganized charge, after the light bobs feigned a brilliant panic stricken retreat, drawing the Frech in for the kill. At about 40 yards the British fired a perfect volley, followed quickly by a second, the French staggered, and the British line charged with the bayonet, driving the French before them to the walls of Quebec.

YMHS,
Connecticut•Ranger
Thomas Thacher

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 24 2005 :  7:18:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
CT Ranger stated: ...and the British line charged with the bayonet, driving the French before them to the walls of Quebec.

Not to mention the 78th Highlanders performing one of the last traditional 'Highland Charges' in British military history. After firing their volleys, they grounded their firelocks and drew broadswords and pistols for the pursuit. As effective as this vicious charge was initially, the men of the 78th regretted leaving their firelocks 500 yards behind them, when the French regrouped near the entrenchments...

Your Most Humble Servant,

Serjeant-Major Duncan Munro
Capt. Thos. Graham's Coy.
42nd Royal Highland Regiment of Foote
(The Black Sheep of the Black Watch)

"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
-Or-
"Recruit locally, fight globally."
  Previous Topic: Pennsylvania F&I source? Topic Next Topic: Interesting article.  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.3 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07