The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/10/2024 6:29:27 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 COLONIAL TIMES
 The French & Indian War
 Pennsylvania F&I source?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Gaming Convention Topic Next Topic: Montcalms Strategy at the Battle of the Plains of Abraham  

Christina
Deerslayer

Vampire
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 27 2002

Posted - January 22 2005 :  09:58:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christina's Homepage  Send Christina an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Both sides of my family come from Western Pennsylvania and it wasn't until I discovered the board a few years ago that I even realized how much F&I war related history took place around that region. I'm planning a trip up to see family in late Feb. or March and since I'm going to have a week I'd love to do some exploring of F&I sites as well...
does anybody have a specific book to recommend that 1) deals with the French and Indian war in Western Pennsylvania and/or 2) might be a good guidebook to the sites, particularly for the casual traveler just wandering around by car? Any suggestions would be great...

See this face? This is the face of a woman on the edge.
Whoopi Goldberg, "Jumping Jack Flash"

report to moderator

Bookworm
Colonial Militia

USA

February 10 2004

Donating Member

Posted - January 22 2005 :  2:19:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yes! "The Mid-Appalachian Frontier: A Guide to Historic Sites of the French and Indian War" by Robert B. Swift. It covers PA, MD, and VA, combines a chronological and a geographical approach, and includes directions for driving to each site. It's an oversized softcover book, available from Amazon.com for $17.95.

If you want to do some background reading before going on your trip, "War for Empire in Western Pennsylvania" is a concise, nicely illustrated little book produced by the Fort Ligonier Association, and also available from Amazon.com.

Happy traveling!

Bookworm

"I've gotten so fascinated with the eighteenth century, I'm going to stay there." -- David McCullough

"Nothing to it, brother." -- Barack Obama
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Fitz Williams
Colonial Militia

USA

May 19 2002

Posted - January 22 2005 :  2:34:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Take a look at a new Ospery book titled "Monongahela 1754-55" by René Chartrand. It details the Jumonville, Fort Necessity, and Braddock campaigns. It has some good "then and now" pictures of the major sites. Also, read "Crucible of War" by Fred Anderson.

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 24 2005 :  07:55:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Might I also suggest C. Hale Sipe's Indian Wars of Pennsylvania. It is a tremendous tome, but does cover the Keystone State's history of that period quite well. It is available (In both hardback and paperback) through Wennawoods Publishing, located near Seamus' hometown of Milton. Heck, Scott Wenning is known to come across Seamus, from time-to-time, at a certain coffee shop nearby.

Your Most Humble Servant,

Serjeant-Major Duncan Munro
Capt. Thos. Graham's Coy.
42nd Royal Highland Regiment of Foote
(The Black Sheep of the Black Watch)

"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
-Or-
"Recruit locally, fight globally."

Seamus
Guardian of Heaven's Gate

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - January 24 2005 :  09:26:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Now, Duncan, me lad.....don't give away ALL my secret meeting places! (I have been known to receive phone calls there, and they DO have Reserved Police parking!)

Life's journey is not to
arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting
'...holy sh*t ...what a ride!'

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

~~Aim small, hit the b*****d right between the eyes!~~

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 24 2005 :  4:08:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Reserved Police Parking, you say? Man, do I live in the wrong county!!! I've always thought that the people in the heart of the state knew how to support their local law enforcement...

Your Most Humble Servant,

-Or-

Seamus

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - January 24 2005 :  4:20:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Our Dunkin' Donuts has more Police Parking than Handicapped Parking! AND free whisk brooms to get the sugar off their shirts.....

Come on out, Lad! I'll buy.......you won't have to eat the day old ones they give cops for free at the back door.

Life's journey is not to

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 24 2005 :  7:11:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Make it a Bavarian Cream, and you got a date...

-Or-

Seamus

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - January 24 2005 :  8:09:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Done!

Life's journey is not to

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

Previous Topic: Gaming Convention Topic Next Topic: Montcalms Strategy at the Battle of the Plains of Abraham  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.38 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07