The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
7/6/2024 12:56:54 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 MOHICAN BOARD COURIER
 The Towne Crier's Square
 Oh, no!! NOT AGAIN!!!!!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page

Author Previous Topic: Terri Irwins Interview w/ Barbara Walters Topic Next Topic: Eric Hurley
Page: of 2

Seamus
Guardian of Heaven's Gate

Skull 2
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 19 2002

Posted - December 19 2004 :  08:03:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aaaaaaaaaggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!! It's SNOWING!!!!!!!

Well.......I guess it IS that time of year.......should have expected it. Thanks, Rich......sure hope my keyboard and desk don't start to look like my cabin.

Image Insert:

62.87 KB

Life's journey is not to
arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting
'...holy sh*t ...what a ride!'

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

~~Aim small, hit the b*****d right between the eyes!~~
report to moderator

Chris
Colonial Settler

Hawkeye II
USA

May 25 2002

Posted - December 19 2004 :  11:37:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well, Seamus, my heart is just bleeding for you. Here in Anchorage it's RAINING... AGAIN!! This winter weather has been truly disgusting so far. No skiing. Little skating, except on the roads, of course. What little snowfall we've had turns brown and slushy. ARGGGG!!

However, on the bright side: in Trapper Creek where we will be retiring, they've had close to 100" of snow already. The snowmachining has been great. I can't wait to move. In fact, at our cabin about 200 miles north of Anchorage, we've had so much snow that just getting in and out on snowmachines has been difficult at times. A couple of weeks ago we measured 66" on the ground, and they've had at least a foot more since then.

BTW, Seamus, your cabin looks so peaceful and pretty, a picture postcard for Christmas.

I hope all of you have a Merry Christmas or a Happy Holiday if you celebrate another tradition, and a happy, healthy and prosperous 2005.

Chris
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Seamus

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - December 19 2004 :  12:51:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi Chris,

Yes, the cabin IS peaceful and pretty...a wonderful escape from anything one wants to escape from! In fact, I just returned from there..it's about half an hour away. Just putzin' around, walking in the woods and watching nature at work. Saw a deer and a wild turkey this morning, read some critter tracks of various species and had a great time.

I was referring to the snow falling on the Message Board.....but is is to drop about an inch or so later today and drop to a high of 15 tomorrow and get windy, too. (Ever wonder who 'it' is when referring to the weather and "it's supposed to rain/snow/be sunny, whatever" ??)

Merry CHRISTmas to you and yours, and a Happy New Year, too!

Life's journey is not to

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - December 19 2004 :  2:32:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Another snow-lover checking in!

It's snowing outside my windows today! Huzzah!! It's about time.

Seamus, your cabin looks like a little old-fashioned doll house in that photo. Hard to believe that a whole family, complete with several kids, would have lived in one that size.

BTW, for a special Christmas treat to Mohicanlanders, why don't you post that lovely firelight picture? It just looks so warm and cozy.

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Seamus

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - December 19 2004 :  3:18:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
WW--When Col. William Antes came into the West Branch Valley back in the late 18th century, he built a cabin that was identical to mine in size, layout, etc. (which I found out after I built mine. Now that was a scary discovery! Gave me goosebumps!!) Two families and a black servant man lived in it.....13 people!....until the second family's cabin was built. It isn't real big, 16 feet square with a loft, accessed by a narrow winder staircase, and a walk-in fireplace with a bake oven. It does get a tad crowded at times when we have an 18th century weekend. A couple of years ago, we had a COHT (Coalition of Historical Trekkers) Winter camp, and 20 of us crammed in for the Saturday evening camp dinner! Fortunately, they all (but 3 of us) camped outside in their tents.....

Is this the picture you wanted?

Image Insert:

68.76 KB

Merry Christmas, Mohicanland! (yeah, yeah, I know....wrong thread, but I am here now!)

Life's journey is not to

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - December 19 2004 :  5:24:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
That's the one, Seamus. Thanks!

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Fitz Williams
Colonial Militia

USA

May 19 2002

Posted - December 19 2004 :  5:29:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
That is a really great cabin! I had the idea of building something like that a few years ago, but the wife didn't see things my way. And later, a friend and I wanted to build one for a historical exhibit in my daughter's town, but that fell through, too. You are very fortunate.

Seamus

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - December 19 2004 :  5:53:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
T'was quite an experience, Fitz, and I cherish every trip there. It's another world altogether. I have 36 acres, and some friends have a total of about 84, so we have a great playground! There are about 17,000 acres of State land adjoining it, too, so it will not be encroached upon. I am half a mile off the main (dirt) road and through the forest.....no casual tourists.

Life's journey is not to

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

ccorner
Pathfinder

USA

February 05 2003

Posted - December 19 2004 :  9:44:34 PM  Show Profile  Click to see ccorner's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I love the cabin and the fireplace pic. We have a hunting cabin but it is not like this one, and it does sport a fireplace and two wood stoves. I would give my eye teeth to have a quiet place like that to write.

As for the snow... yuck. It is pretty but I really don't like to drive in it. It is better than driving on black ice though. It is snowing here in upstate NY and it is very cold as well.

Tim Cordell
Pioneer

USA

July 18 2002

Posted - December 19 2004 :  10:24:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Seamus..A wonderful picture of the fireplace, etc. My wife wants me to do a painting of it. I would be obliged to have her in the background sewing though..Regards, Tim

Tim Cordell

blueotter
Colonial Settler

BlueOtter
USA

September 10 2004

Donating Member

Posted - December 19 2004 :  10:46:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit blueotter's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I am another snow-lover! It snowed here in Tennessee today, but there is no evidence of it anywhere, now!

Your fireside photo reminds me of the winter get-togethers we used to have at Caesar's Creek Pioneer Village, reenactors only. We would usually have an evening "party" on one cabin or the other and it would be delightful! Good friends, good conversation, good food and drink, and good music. We cheated with a little black box hidden in the closet because none of us played instruments, but it was all period music! A suggestion for nice 18th c. background musicis Bare Necessities, an 18th century band that plays English Country Dance music. Any of their recordings is excellent!

Greetings from cold-but-snowless (pout) Franklin, TN!
Rose

Rose Dupre
AKA/Órelindë Tinehtelë
AKA/Polly Gamwich
Gordon's 60th Royal Americans
Detroit French Marines

Bookworm
Colonial Militia

USA

February 10 2004

Donating Member

Posted - December 20 2004 :  08:10:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Great photos, Seamus! The snowy one would make a fine Christmas card. My husband and I have been privileged to visit the cabin several times (I climbed that ladder!), and I can attest to the sense of absolute peacefulness that surrounds you as you walk in the door -- no, even earlier, as you first glimpse the cabin through the trees. One of my favorite places on earth, along with the tiny little building (can't recall its name) that's the earliest building at the Landis Valley Museum. The same sense of peacefulness emanates from both. OF course, we're experiencing them without the struggle that daily life would have required in those times, but even so ....

Bookworm

"I've gotten so fascinated with the eighteenth century, I'm going to stay there." -- David McCullough

"Nothing to it, brother." -- Barack Obama

misschanelno5
Pioneer

USA

July 01 2004

Posted - December 20 2004 :  08:42:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit misschanelno5's Homepage  Send misschanelno5 an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
What an adorable cabin! It almost makes me wish we had snow here in Kentucky right now (almost)

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."
"Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing."
-- Oscar Wilde

caitlin
Bumppos Tavern Patron

MMBrand
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - December 20 2004 :  11:30:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit caitlin's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Wonderful pictures, Seamus! Your cabin looks heavenly!

Hailing from out East, it is hard around the holidays not to see the snow. Luckily, the mountains are only an hour away from the valley, so we take the kids up there to play in the snow! Makes me homesick though I have to admit I can always do without the black ice.

Happy Holidays to all!

Jack McCall: "Should we shake hands or something, relieve the atmosphere. I mean how stupid do you think I am?"
Wild Bill Hickok: "I don't know, I just met you."

"A nation with no regard to it's past will have little future worth remembering."
A.Lincoln

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize that they were the big things"

Rainhair
Pathfinder

Alice
USA

February 21 2005

Posted - February 21 2005 :  10:08:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rainhair's Homepage  Send Rainhair an AOL message  Click to see Rainhair's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I like that pic. It's been snowing on and off here. It seems like every time it starts to melt a huge blizzard comes. Eh, no snow days either. =/

The leaves were long
The grass was green
The hemlock-umbels tall and fair
And in the glade a light was seen
Of stars and shadow shimmering

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - March 15 2005 :  8:52:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Very nice looking cabin Seamus. However, - there's never enough snow, the more the better! Just need to get out and enjoy. Snowshoeing is "somewhat" of a hobby, every chance I get. After a storm the new animal tracks can be fascinating, usually fox, deer, bobcat etc. So many deer tracks, they're probably going to need some traffic lights pretty soon. Came across some very interesting "cat tracks" about 5+" wide about three weeks ago, - around 1800' elevation. One big kitty, ... ;)

you can keep "The Change"

Seamus

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - March 15 2005 :  9:22:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I agree with all you have said, MoGuide.......I, too, enjoy snowshoeing and reading the tracks. Recently I found a Bobcat's ambush site of a grouse.....gathered a few feathers and put them in the cabin with some other 'relics' from past woods sojourns: a box turtle shell, the skull of a raccoon, a dropped deer antler, some turkey feathers dropped here and there. One early summer a few years ago, I got a tremendous photo of a bobcat kitten. I'll have to search it out and post it for you.

I am fascinated with the woods and its denizens, and feel privileged to just be there with them and to be able to watch and learn.

It seems that none out there have gotten my point......I was commenting about the electronic snowflakes Rich has sprinkled across my computer screen....not the lovely snow outside! They DRIVE ME NUTS!!!!!

"Aaaaaaaaaggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!! It's SNOWING!!!!!!!

Well.......I guess it IS that time of year.......should have expected it. Thanks, Rich......sure hope my keyboard and desk don't start to look like my cabin."

Life's journey is not to

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

Seamus

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - March 15 2005 :  9:41:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply

OK--here it is:

Image Insert:

77.82 KB

It pays to always have a camera along when playing in the woods!

Life's journey is not to

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - March 16 2005 :  05:19:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Almost time for them to go, Seamus!

Seamus

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - March 16 2005 :  06:04:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Huzz-AH!!!!!!!!

Been noticing lots of Spring things around here.....soon the snow will be gone in the woods, too, and life will return to the trees and there will be new sights and sounds and smells to keep me entertained. City folks sure miss a lot..........

Life's journey is not to

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

Carter
Colonial Militia

Tiger
USA

August 28 2003

Donating Member

Posted - March 16 2005 :  09:56:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
The trees will be bursting forth here in Georgia very soon!
The days are getting longer! Spring is almost here! Yippee!

Fitz Williams
Colonial Militia

USA

May 19 2002

Posted - March 16 2005 :  10:16:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
I was commenting about the electronic snowflakes

Reminds me of "Space Invaders", only you can't shoot them. Now if Rich could insert a virtual longhunter with a flintlock that shoots the snowflakes, that could be interesting.

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - March 16 2005 :  11:25:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Spring? What's that? We have had a very cold, snowy March so far. Still have lots piled around on the ground.

I knew what ye meant, Seamus! And I like the photo of the little bobcat. He's a cutie.

Gadget Girl
Gatherer of Gathering Gadgets

Winking Lady
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - March 16 2005 :  12:08:37 PM  Show Profile  Send Gadget Girl an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I knew what you meant too!...But I like the snowflakes - they are all the snow I have seen this year.

GG

Seamus

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - March 16 2005 :  12:33:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Come on up here, GG.......we'll show you some! How 'bout it, WW??

Life's journey is not to

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - March 16 2005 :  3:33:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Absolutely! But be certain you bring your long-johns!

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Terri Irwins Interview w/ Barbara Walters Topic Next Topic: Eric Hurley  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.83 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07