The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
9/29/2024 1:25:59 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 COLONIAL TIMES
 The Muster
 Flintlock Rifles
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Indian/ hawkey knives Topic Next Topic: The post rider from Fort Ticonderoga is slow  

Dillon1836
Deerslayer

richfed
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
July 17 2003

Posted - November 21 2004 :  9:25:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dillon1836's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have a feeling this is in the wrong category, but I wasn't sure where to put it.

Anyway, since August after firing my first flintlock rifle and making 2 dead centers and one 12 o'clock high, I'd like to know where I could get a nicely priced rifle of my own. At the Alamo gathering in August I fired 3 different flintlock rifles and I think I may have an interest of having one of my own. I made good shots with each one and have a feeling I could handle a rifle well...including the cleaning details that I'd have to become familiar with. I know they aren't cheap, but then again I may be getting a job this Summer and could save up. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

~Wade

www.alamosentry.com
report to moderator

susquesus
Mad Hermit of the North Woods

Susquesus
USA

September 03 2003

Posted - November 21 2004 :  9:46:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hey Wade, I'm not sure about a nice price- but if you want to try to build your own you should go to www.trackofthewolf.com - they have a sweet catalog. It's over 400 pages, fully illustrated and gives you the opportunity to buy it one piece at a time. The catalog is under $10 and makes a good reference guide if nothing else. It can give you an idea of what is out there. From Kentucky longrifles, knives, tomahawks, lean-to's, to costumes and reference books it's a great volume to thumb through.
A couple of other good sites would be:
http://www.muzzleloaderbuilderssupply.com/
http://www.palongrifles.com/
http://www.longrifles-pr.com/pr/aboutbuildingarifle.htm

Good luck and keep us informed on your progress!
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Fitz Williams
Colonial Militia

USA

May 19 2002

Posted - November 22 2004 :  11:56:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Before you buy, do a little research. Decide what period the rifle should be. They are very different from the 1760's to the Federal Period. If you buy one with a straight barrel (that is, not swamped) it will be 1810 or later. And earlier calibers are usually larger than later calibers. If you want a nice gun and are not all that concerned about total period accuracy, take a look at what Wayne Zurl has in stock (http://www.waynezurl.com/). They are not fancy guns but are good quality for the money. He uses straight barrels to keep the cost down, but in doing so, sacrifices accuracy. If you want a lot of quality wood carving, then he price will probably be over $2000.

CT•Ranger
Colonial Militia

indian ... nicholas
USA

October 14 2002

Posted - November 22 2004 :  6:26:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
When I was 17, I saved my money from a summer job and bought a Jim Chambers rifle kit. It was a lot more work than advertized, plus it was my first time putting together a gun kit. But it was a very rewarding experience and I learned a lot. I recommend doing a lot of research before you buy, so that you get a firearm that fits the time and place you're interested in. Also, you might be able to get one "in the white" which is easier than a kit, and cheaper than finished. Basically you just have to stain and finish the stock, or polish the metal if you want.

http://www.earlyrusticarms.com/

YMHS,
Connecticut•Ranger
Thomas Thacher

Okwaho
Pathfinder

USA

December 24 2004

Posted - December 27 2004 :  08:32:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Both these {Wayne Zurl and ERA ] are good and Fitz is right on doing your reaesrch. I think he hit the wrong key in the Zurl guns. Straight barrel rifles are not any less accurate just less authentic than swamped barrels for 18th century style guns since straight barrels only began to come in about 1810 or so and so are not really correct for 18th century guns.In addition there are the Historical Trekkers and Colonial Backwoods boards and both have sections for buying and selling and I see guns for sale fairly frequently.As to accoutrements they also offer these by various makers.
Good Luck

It's great to be an Indian ally of the French.

Okwaho
Pathfinder

USA

December 24 2004

Posted - December 27 2004 :  08:41:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I forgot to comment on a previous post on this thread. CT Ranger mentioned a Jim Chambers kit. These aren't for beginners but they are from an authenticity standpoint the very best in kits and I think guns in the white but I'm not sure about the latter.I don't know the web address but Google does.Track does offer some parts sets but unless you've been around the barn a few times I'd be careful.

Fitz Williams
Colonial Militia

USA

May 19 2002

Posted - December 27 2004 :  10:29:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
I think he hit the wrong key in the Zurl guns.

Bad choice of words. I meant for an accurate persona, not for shooting accuracy.

Okwaho
Pathfinder

USA

December 24 2004

Posted - December 27 2004 :  3:32:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
You know what the problem is Fitz?In the whole wide world and even South Carolina, there are only two people who are perfect and those two people are you and me and you know I'm not absolutely sure about you.

Fitz Williams
Colonial Militia

USA

May 19 2002

Posted - December 27 2004 :  4:29:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Now, you are forgetting Mark Baker, Karl Koster, and maybe Mark Lewis before he rode off on his Harley.

Okwaho
Pathfinder

USA

December 24 2004

Posted - December 27 2004 :  6:05:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Fitz, Please foward to me your personal cheque or an instument guaranteeing funds in the amount of $100.00. That amount of payment,sir,is the very least amount of recompense that I will accept for being forced to think about Mark Lewis.He is the person,if you remember,who was the recipient of Fallaloosa's retort that he refused to engage in a war of wits with him because he felt that it was improper to engage in such a war with an unarmed enemy.I guess you're correct about him riding off into the sunset. I've been hearing more reports lately of sunspots emitting hot gasses.
Tom

Two Kettles
Colonial Settler

USA

August 01 2002

Posted - January 02 2005 :  3:53:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Wade,

Sorry for the lateness of this reply, but I've been away from the Board for a couple weeks.

I agree with the comments above, but I think one of the most important things you have to keep in mind for this project is that you want a later period (probably post-1800) rifle, whereas a lot of us here jump to thinking about the earlier period rifles. The advantage this gives you is that rifles were much more common in the post-1800 period, and reproductions are also more common and more affordable (relatively speaking).

One thing you might consider, if you build a rifle or have one custom built, is that there are a number of originals on display at the Alamo. You could probably get detailed descriptions, and maybe even photos (if they have them in the archives, since you can't take photos in the Alamo itself). I think there's at least one in the Shrine, and there are several in the Long Barracks museum. If you have or get the book on the Long Barracks museum the Daughters put out, there are some photos in there that might be a jumping off point. I'd also ask around the various Alamo groups - I'm sure there are folks there who can give you assistance also.

Two Kettles

Bookworm
Colonial Militia

USA

February 10 2004

Donating Member

Posted - January 07 2005 :  8:42:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
There's also a company that makes replicas of David Crockett's first rifle:

http://www.caywoodguns.com

Of course, $12,500 IS a little steep . . . maybe this would be something to reward yourself with, when your books on the Alamo are selling well!

Bookworm

"I've gotten so fascinated with the eighteenth century, I'm going to stay there." -- David McCullough

"Nothing to it, brother." -- Barack Obama

Dillon1836
Deerslayer

richfed
USA

July 17 2003

Posted - January 08 2005 :  2:59:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dillon1836's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone.

Seems when I get a job I'll need to save up. Other than that I appreciate the information yall have given me and learned.

Bookworm, my novel is coming along well.Thanks for your interest.

~Wade

P.S. If you want updates on my book and how I'm coming along as one of the youngest Alamo historians check out http://alamosentry.blogspot.com

www.alamosentry.com
  Previous Topic: Indian/ hawkey knives Topic Next Topic: The post rider from Fort Ticonderoga is slow  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.42 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07