The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/11/2024 2:16:16 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 OFF THE BEATEN TRAIL
 Movies, Movies, More Movies! Any Movies!
 I found it!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Favorite Horror Movie Genre Topic Next Topic: Frida  

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - September 28 2004 :  3:53:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am always on the lookout for a movie about the 18th Century that I haven't seen yet. Well, the other day I was browsing through our local Salvation Army store (No... I am not reduced to shopping there for my modern clothing, although I have stumbled upon some great finds! I look there regularly for old linen tablecloths or wool blankets that can be used for 18th century clothing.) and they had a table full of used videos that had come from a Video King store. On it, I found a 2-tape set of a 1979 made-for-TV movie called "The Rebels", based on the John Jakes book of the same name. The price was only $4 so I bought it.

Well. I knew I was in b-i-i-i-g trouble right with the opening scene, which featured our intrepid hero Philip Kent (Andrew Stevens) involved in a cowboy-and-Indians-style-chase-sequence: "It's the Lobsterback Cavalry!" And from there, it rapidly got worse. In fact... it was so bad that I literally began to laugh out loud! The hokey music, the polyester costumes (not only were they totally historically inaccurate in design, they sported things like zippers down the backs of the ladies' gowns), the hairstyles, the script, and the acting... there is nothing about this movie that can be commended. It's really too bad the Emmys do not have categories for the "Worst" of all these things. It would have won them all hands down.

The really sad part of it is that the cast contained some of the best old 50s and 60s character actors: Jim Backus, Joan Blondell, Rory Calhoun (whom I was madly in love with as a young teen), William Daniels, Richard Basehart, Doug McClure, Tom Bosley, MacDonald Carey, Anne Francis, Peter Graves as George Washington (one of the better performances!), Forrest Tucker, Wilfred Hyde-White; plus two young up-coming actors: Kim Cattrall and Don Johnson.

This total turkey makes for a great laugh! And laugh, I did!

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."
report to moderator

Dillon1836
Deerslayer

richfed
USA

July 17 2003

Posted - September 28 2004 :  4:21:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dillon1836's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well, was it as hokey as 13 days to Boredom....err to Glory? lol

~Wade

www.alamosentry.com
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - September 29 2004 :  04:55:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hmmm ... I rather liked "13 Days to Glory"!!

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - September 29 2004 :  08:46:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
As nearly as I can recall, I haven't seen that one, Young-un.

I'll tell you what. If any of our re-enactor friends would like to have a vastly entertaining evening of 3 hours of laughter, just let me know. I will gladly send you this wonderful video, free of charge, and with no need to return it to me! Just PM me and say the word!

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Many Flags
Colonial Settler

USA

August 13 2002

Posted - September 29 2004 :  11:34:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
WW....I remember the Rebels well.....it was the whole paperback series of the Bastard, etc., etc.....I read several of the books after I had seen the Rebels on TV...it was a "mature" John Tremain. At the time it was out...before I became involved in the "real deal" of reenacting and 18th century living history.....I thought it was pretty good and I enjoyed it.....I would like to watch it again just to see all the funny mistakes, etc....take care....Many Flags

Dillon1836
Deerslayer

richfed
USA

July 17 2003

Posted - September 29 2004 :  12:02:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dillon1836's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Sorry, WW to stray off topic, but Rich, as much as I liked that some good western actors were part of the cast...the film itself was rather, well bad. Baldwin was pretty good as Travis, but if you're like any other Alamo buff...you will always point out the inaccuracies and the hokeyness of some of the scenes. For capturing the spirit of the men at the Alamo, every Alamo film has done that..including 13 days. I just don't consider it the best out there that's all.

Wilderness Woman, save yourself the trouble. I can imagine it now and help myself the embarrassment if the film is as bad as you say it is. ;)

~Wade

www.alamosentry.com
  Previous Topic: Favorite Horror Movie Genre Topic Next Topic: Frida  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.33 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07