The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
9/30/2024 5:16:49 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 COLONIAL TIMES
 The Muster
 A Colonial Roundtable?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Siege of Fort Niagara    23-25 July Topic Next Topic: The word is out...  

Bookworm
Colonial Militia

USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
February 10 2004

Donating Member

Posted - July 21 2004 :  8:04:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, I'm not suggesting yet another version of the King Arthur legend, with the knights as longhunters (though it sounds as though some people wouldn't object as long as it stars that Welsh guy). What I mean is, is there a colonial (F&I or Rev. War or both) equivalent of the Civil War Roundtables, where people interested in the Civil War get together regularly to discuss, hear speakers, take trips, etc.? I've never heard of one, and figured the people who frequent this forum would be most likely to know. Seems as though if there isn't one, there should be. Of course, maybe the answer is, "Yes. It's called reenacting!" Thanks in advance for any information you can share.

Bookworm

"I've gotten so fascinated with the eighteenth century, I'm going to stay there." -- David McCullough

"Nothing to it, brother." -- Barack Obama
report to moderator

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - July 21 2004 :  9:49:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Holy Cow, Bookworm!!!

I hadn't even thought of that! Ioan (aka "that Welsh guy") as an 18th century longhunter! Now doesn't that just bring to my mind a whole new set of visuals. Mmmmm... mmmmm...mmmmmmmmmm. Lady Ann? Are you listening?

I don't have an answer to your question, BW, though I can tell you about an interesting website that has several forum boards. It is www.earlyamerica.com. I think someone mentioned this site just recently, but I would like to reiterate that it is a good site. You do have to put up with some annoying banners and pop-ups, but it's worth it. There are lots of great articles to read, some short videos to watch, and there are the Town Crier Forums where learned discussions take place. Check it out!

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Kurt
Mohicanite

The Old Trapper
USA

September 27 2003

Posted - July 22 2004 :  07:48:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
There are classes on 17th century sewing and crafts and natural history year-round (even in the winter when the fort is closed) at Fort Ticonderoga but the War College

http://www.fort-ticonderoga.org/educators/continuing_ed/war_college.htm

sounds closest to the Civil War event you describe. There are similar seminars throughout the year at Crown Point.

http://nysparks.state.ny.us/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/nysparks/historic.cgi?p+5

Fort Niagara has some 18th century events.

http://www.oldfortniagara.org/events.htm

There are fewer people interested in the colonial period so the events are smaller than Civil War events but find a fort or a home like Johnson Hall and there will be programs.

Yr. obt. svt.
Kurt

Kurt
Mohicanite

The Old Trapper
USA

September 27 2003

Posted - July 22 2004 :  08:09:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
http://www.warforempire.org/events.cfm has events in Pennsylvania and Maryland that may be closer for you. These are "big name" events so check the locations that interest you for seminars and market fairs.

Yr. obt. svt.
Kurt

Lady Ann
Pioneer

USA

May 20 2002

Posted - July 22 2004 :  08:55:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
"I hadn't even thought of that! Ioan (aka "that Welsh guy") as an 18th century longhunter! Now doesn't that just bring to my mind a whole new set of visuals. Mmmmm... mmmmm...mmmmmmmmmm. Lady Ann? Are you listening?"

The thought of the young Welshman in a breechclout brings to mind that well-loved episode of "Horatio Hornblower" in which Horatio, after serving a particularly punishing watch, asks his shipmates to douse him with seawater on deck so he can keep awake. The ensuing scene, with Horatio in the buff being hosed down with streams of cold water (particularly scandalous for an A&E production I'd say, but I'm NOT complaining!) was...thought provoking. I recorded the event and have spent many an evening rewatching and pondering the significance of this scene.

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - July 22 2004 :  12:51:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Ah yes. I remember it well.

Sorry, BW... we digress from your real topic in this thread.

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."
  Previous Topic: Siege of Fort Niagara    23-25 July Topic Next Topic: The word is out...  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.3 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07