The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/7/2024 5:21:21 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 Oscars Due LOTM
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Cartoon Version of LOTM Topic Next Topic: Deleted Scenes  

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - August 05 2002 :  06:36:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
The Last of the Mohicans won [and, in fact, was nominated for] but one Academy Award ... "Best Sound" [as in "effects"]. What other one phase of the film do you feel LOTM most deserving of an Oscar in 1992?

Choices:

Best Cinematography
Best Original Score
Best Picture
Best Director
Best Male Actor [Lead or Support]
Best Female Actor [Lead or Support]
Best Adapted Screenplay
Best Costume Design and/or Best Makeup

report to moderator

Diane B.
Colonial Militia

Dream Catcher 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - August 05 2002 :  06:49:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Gee, Rich,

We can only choose one? No fair! LOTM should obviously have been nominated for several Oscars in the first place! DDL was magnificent & totally convincing in his role as Hawkeye, and Madeleine Stowe was outstanding in her role as Cora Munro (just think back to the beautiful range of expressions on her face when Hawkeye says, "I'm looking at you, Miss"). Wes Studi was definitely deserving of a nomination, as well! And then, there's the music...I can listen to that music anytime, anywhere - even stuck in traffic - and I am immediately transported back to those beautiful mountains of NC...

I'm going to have to give this subject some serious thought before I cast my final vote! Unless you allow us to vote more than once...

Rattlesnake Woman
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Ellie
Pioneer

mountain scene
United Kingdom

July 22 2002

Posted - August 05 2002 :  11:38:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I agree, the choice is difficult. I would have chosen the score but as the music has already been acknowledged I will chose Cinematography, which is spectacular! I have never seen a film with such beautiful scenery (and that includes Day-Lewis and Stowe) and panoramic views.

I think Steven Waddington deserved some kind of recognition too, he was brilliant at Hayward.

Edited by - Ellie on August 05 2002 11:44:28 AM

Adele
The Huggy Merchant

May 17 2002

Posted - August 06 2002 :  03:57:39 AM  Show Profile  Send Adele a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I agree with Ellen, my choice was between cinematography and score and in the end I went for score, because it never ceases to be a topic that we all write about and that newcomers want information on. Tough choice.

I went and had a look at the films that were nominated that year and I must admit that was an excellent year for films, the competition was tough, but I have always been surprised that this film wasn't nominated in more categories. Whenever I see the small reviews and star ratings that are given whenever the movie is shown on tv, they are always of the highest standard. It unfortunately seems to be one of the films that is acknowledged in the long term. I really couldn't see how, apart from the fact that it isn't true to the book, anyone could find a criticism to make about this film.

Adele

Yogi
Pathfinder

May 29 2002

Posted - September 12 2002 :  12:47:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Yogi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Definitely a tough choice between cinematography and score, but I have to go with the music. Even after hearing it 10 bizillion times, I still find it tremendously stirring, especially when Trever Jones' arrangement of Dougie Maclean's "The Gael" comes on.
Even Yogi listens (although, he unfortunately also likes to sing along).

Pat

Ongewasgone
Pioneer

Gothic Guy 2
Italy

September 17 2002

Posted - September 19 2002 :  1:49:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ongewasgone's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well, I chose Best Original score...In my opinion, LOTM's soundtrack is the best ever made; a lot better than Titanic's one. I think Trevor Jones and Randy Edelman made an excellent work; this score is like a character in the movie. I would never stop listening to it!!

Vixen
Colonial Settler

Duncan

November 07 2002

Posted - December 08 2002 :  3:19:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I agree with Ellie, Waddington was a great Hayward. Definatly the actors and music played an important role.

"What are they doing to Duncan?!?"
-Cora Munro

chasis_22
Colonial Settler

Mohican Brothers
USA

April 19 2003

Posted - June 05 2003 :  02:38:41 AM  Show Profile  Send chasis_22 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I chose best picture because in my mind that is the best way to sum up everything. Everything about the Last of the Mohicans was awesome. Each and every aspect made the movie the huge sucess that it is. If there was lousy music it might not have been as dramatic for the viewer or if the costumes weren't so accurate it might not have seemed real enough. Does that make any sense? I guess what I am trying to say is that the Last of the Mohicans was so outstanding that there aren't enough awards to offer for the magnificent work.

rydergrl
Colonial Settler

Pisces
USA

November 03 2003

Posted - November 03 2003 :  9:18:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I was torn between the Cinematography and the Original Score. But in the end I went with the score. The music is beautiful and stirring to my blood. It transforms me into another world, another era. It's a wonderful escape from the hassles of the present.

What you give of yourself is priceless.

abinlp
Lost in the Wilderness

USA

July 27 2003

Posted - November 22 2003 :  5:32:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Gotta go with cinematography here. Being an artist, I notice how much effort was put into beautiful photography. 75% of the scenes in this movie could be painted with little change to composition. The color is spectacular. How about when Hawkeye leaps off the ledge in pursuit of the elk to open the movie? When Jack Winthrop talks with the colonel and the light from above both illuminates and splits the screen, and as the party walks away from the ruins of the settlers' cabin and the sunlight plays against the shadows. Marvelous. It is one of the best filmed movies EVER.

Alan L. Brown

Tasblades
Lost in the Wilderness

November 25 2003

Posted - November 25 2003 :  5:45:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tasblades's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi folks, new to the board. I read the post and had put my vote in for best actor, Wes Studi...He should have won and deserved an oscar for his performance in LOTM. Glad to be a part of the board!!

Peace

Pike Bishop
Pathfinder

USA

November 26 2003

Posted - November 26 2003 :  11:01:32 AM  Show Profile  Send Pike Bishop a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hello Folks:

Very First post ever here!

I voted for cinematography but I think there is another category that should be included in the choices.

How about Best Art Direction? The film's sets and look were authentic and phenomonal!

As a current example of great art direction check out HBO's currently running Carnivale, which takes place during 1934. The DustBowl/Great Depression never looked so real!
  Previous Topic: Cartoon Version of LOTM Topic Next Topic: Deleted Scenes  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.36 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07