The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/1/2024 4:21:23 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 COLONIAL TIMES
 The Muster
 Fort Ticonderoga ... 2004
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Tents and Shelters Topic Next Topic: George Washington Liked the Movie  

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - June 30 2004 :  06:58:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
OK ... let's hear about it! How'd it go?
report to moderator

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - June 30 2004 :  08:12:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I second that request! So, did you guys all meet up and have a rip-roaring Ft. Ti Gathering?

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Seamus
Guardian of Heaven's Gate

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - June 30 2004 :  08:29:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
In a word-------------magnificent! Weather was cool and slightly breezy, sunshine and light clouds. The skeeters were almost non-existent, except in early evening, and even then they were not a problem. I have been there when it was ankle-deep mud, constant rain or hot, dry and humid...NOT a fun time!

Scenarios were different this year. Saturday's had some problems when some combatants did not pay attention to their roles, thereby screwing up the plan. With around 800 on the field, it is imperative that plans be followed! But, being under good commanders, we reacted to the situation and improvised a believable plan of action, which saved the day. The public was none the wiser, but the discussion and evaluation afterwards in our Officers' meeting was rather heated! Sunday it was reworked and that tactical went much more to script. The crowd was quite large, around 5000.

The camps were great! Each camp--French, Native, and British had all sorts of impromptu things going on: drill, music, educational events, so no visitor should have been bored! One cannot imagine the different visuals and sounds that exist in these camps: French being spoken, various Native dialects, clothing, smells of woodsmoke and cooking, the sight of hams, roasts, birds, and so on, spitted and being slowly cooked, children dressed as little soldiers and playing at being soldiers, mimicking the "big guys". To watch them maneuver and shout commands perfectly is a real hoot! Little girls dressed like their moms, infants in 18th century dress.......I could go on and on. THIS is the next generation which will take over when we aging warriors are no longer able to play.

Saturday night after dark, we marched to the fifes and drums nearly a mile to the Old French Lines and played a taptoo at the monuments to the French and the Black Watch, and marched back again......an impressive, emotional gesture, one always looked forward to.

Then there were the sutlers. I don't know how many, but at least 50-60 or more top-quality sutlers. It was possible to start at one end of Sutler Row as a 21st century person and walk the length of it, coming out the other end dressed and accoutered in the 18th century...literally.

The highlight of the weekend, for me, personally, was meeting our own Kurt, and having a chance to visit a bit with him. Pvt. Chauncey Goodrich was there, too, as was Alikws. I did get to visit with Chauncey and catch up on lots of stuff, but I regret that I could not find Alikws. I went to the Native camp twice, and each time he was not there. Time and command duties did not allow me to continue my search, so Alikws, I am sorry we did not connect this time. Perhaps we will next year.

I also had a first! One of my soldiers, Pvt. Miller, asked to see me in private, and his reason was that he sought my permission, as his Commanding Officer, to ask the laundress, Mistress Speir, to marry him. Her father had given his blessing the evening before, but as a private soldier under my command, he needed mine, also, as was the custom. After the customary "prospective son-in-law" interview (I have done it twice with my own!), and being satisfied with his answers, I gave my blessing.

He proposed to her in the King's Garden, and the date was set to marry at Ticonderoga next year at the Grand Encampment. Arrangements were started with the fort to get their permission and assurances were given that it can, indeed, happen there. A reception inviting anyone at the Grand Encampment to come and wish them well is planned, too. It will certainly be a first for us in the Augusta Regiment!

Life's journey is not to
arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting
'...holy sh*t ...what a ride!'

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

~~Aim small, hit the b*****d right between the eyes!~~

Theresa
Bumppo's Tavern Proprietress

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - June 30 2004 :  08:37:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Sounds like quite a sight, Seamus. And the wedding proposal...how romantic is that?

We missed seeing you..and others...at the Gathering. I realize the conflict with Fort Ti and certainly understand. Perhaps we can find our way there at some point.

Was the Major there?

Theresa

Seamus

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - June 30 2004 :  08:54:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Major Fitzgerald? Yes, he was there, Theresa.

Life's journey is not to

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

Theresa

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - June 30 2004 :  09:01:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
That's the man!! Would love to see him and Sarah again, too. Diana brought a copy of "The Battle on Snowshoes" to me and it was good to see him, even though it was on tape. Are you in that?

Theresa

Stephanie
Gathering Sachemess

Hiking Smurf Avatar
USA

June 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - June 30 2004 :  09:11:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Are you referring to Major Mike, the maker of the most excellent June Rum Shrub? The very shrub I would pay dearly for to have another bottle? We must personally invite the Major to the next Gathering!!!

Steph

Theresa

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - June 30 2004 :  09:15:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Stephanie

Are you referring to Major Mike, the maker of the most excellent June Rum Shrub? The very shrub I would pay dearly for to have another bottle? We must personally invite the Major to the next Gathering!!!

Steph

He'd be da man, Steph!

Theresa

Jayne
Overseer of Ariel's Auction

Oak Leaf

May 23 2002

Posted - June 30 2004 :  11:04:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Stephanie,

I will diligently work on getting some of that aforementioned shrub for our next Gathering auction!

Jayne

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - June 30 2004 :  12:36:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Seamus

In a word-------------magnificent!

...and my word is------------WOW!!

I am experiencing so much time being green-with-envy, that my skin tone is taking on a distinct green shade. (Well, green goes nicely with brown freckles, don't you think?)

Thank you, Seamus, for giving me yet another wonderful Imagining!

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Stephanie
Gathering Sachemess

Hiking Smurf Avatar
USA

June 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - June 30 2004 :  1:22:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply

Jayne I'll start saving my pennies NOW so I can bid on that shrub!
Great idea!
Stephanie

Kurt
Mohicanite

The Old Trapper
USA

September 27 2003

Posted - June 30 2004 :  3:28:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
As I try to react to a leaking water heater, knuckle-headed horseless carriages, irate customers, and the sundry vicissitudes that make up life in the twenty first century, I bemoan that camp must fade into the mists like Brigadoon and try to console myself that it shall materialize once more.

It was a great pleasure to meet Seamus and to introduce myself to Chauncey and hopefully next time I will meet Alikws. The folks you find at camp are great people! Always there with a suggestion how to perfect an impression, what works well, and that piece of gear you are missing to make things work even better.

We sure ate well! Gravy and biscuits they called it but it was more sausage than gravy! Pork and peppers and beer with good hearty bread to sop up the juices! Cherry tart and Apple tart fresh from the dutch ovens! Hard boiled quail eggs! Ah yes!

The dawn at camp with the fog swirling over the rows of tents. The wood smoke drifting up from the embers coaxed back to life. Coffee starting to boil.

As a recruit, my days were spent drilling, drilling, running full-tilt through waist high weeds, brambles, and locust tree thorns, and marching.

Thank goodness we didn't have to perform the drill manoeuvre "club your bayonette"! We were drilling as a battalion to a 1753 Blands Discipline and we will be sharper when Niagra rolls around.

This year, instead of having us far away down by the creek (maybe the public can see a puff of smoke on the horizon now and then) we Rangers were in the unkempt field between the King's Garden and the Fort. The public were allowed on the wall of Ft. Carillon or on the edge of the road to the King's Garden. I admit I prefer the Ranger tactics like: when you hear the opposing sergeant order "Fire!" you duck down and when you hear the musket balls whizz by, spring up and return fire. We used our ripple fire tactic (as if you were to do "the wave" only with firelocks) and "parapet fire" (where we line up, the first man fires, runs to the end of the line, and reloads while the new first man fires, runs to the end of the line, and reloads, while ... which creates a manual machine gun). I need to do more weightlifting to try to be in better shape! Leather soles and heels slip like iceskates on long grasses and rocks!

Fort Ticonderoga is a wonderful place to reenact! The grounds are rural and the modern world is screened off by trees and distance. Well worth a visit even when there is no event to complete the picture. A great collection to study and a pretty good book store.

Yr. obt. svt.
Kurt

Grenouille
Colonial Settler

May 17 2002

Posted - June 30 2004 :  4:36:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Grenouille's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi Seamus,
No mud, no mosquitoes, no rain, no humidity at Ti...that's quite unusual!!! How about the Earwigs?????

Glad you all had a nice time! Going to Necessity this weekend?

Regards,
Jim

Image Insert:

19.42 KB

quote:
Originally posted by Seamus

In a word-------------magnificent! Weather was cool and slightly breezy, sunshine and light clouds. The skeeters were almost non-existent, except in early evening, and even then they were not a problem. I have been there when it was ankle-deep mud, constant rain or hot, dry and humid...NOT a fun time!

Scenarios were different this year. Saturday's had some problems when some combatants did not pay attention to their roles, thereby screwing up the plan. With around 800 on the field, it is imperative that plans be followed! But, being under good commanders, we reacted to the situation and improvised a believable plan of action, which saved the day. The public was none the wiser, but the discussion and evaluation afterwards in our Officers' meeting was rather heated! Sunday it was reworked and that tactical went much more to script. The crowd was quite large, around 5000.

The camps were great! Each camp--French, Native, and British had all sorts of impromptu things going on: drill, music, educational events, so no visitor should have been bored! One cannot imagine the different visuals and sounds that exist in these camps: French being spoken, various Native dialects, clothing, smells of woodsmoke and cooking, the sight of hams, roasts, birds, and so on, spitted and being slowly cooked, children dressed as little soldiers and playing at being soldiers, mimicking the "big guys". To watch them maneuver and shout commands perfectly is a real hoot! Little girls dressed like their moms, infants in 18th century dress.......I could go on and on. THIS is the next generation which will take over when we aging warriors are no longer able to play.

Saturday night after dark, we marched to the fifes and drums nearly a mile to the Old French Lines and played a taptoo at the monuments to the French and the Black Watch, and marched back again......an impressive, emotional gesture, one always looked forward to.

Then there were the sutlers. I don't know how many, but at least 50-60 or more top-quality sutlers. It was possible to start at one end of Sutler Row as a 21st century person and walk the length of it, coming out the other end dressed and accoutered in the 18th century...literally.

The highlight of the weekend, for me, personally, was meeting our own Kurt, and having a chance to visit a bit with him. Pvt. Chauncey Goodrich was there, too, as was Alikws. I did get to visit with Chauncey and catch up on lots of stuff, but I regret that I could not find Alikws. I went to the Native camp twice, and each time he was not there. Time and command duties did not allow me to continue my search, so Alikws, I am sorry we did not connect this time. Perhaps we will next year.

I also had a first! One of my soldiers, Pvt. Miller, asked to see me in private, and his reason was that he sought my permission, as his Commanding Officer, to ask the laundress, Mistress Speir, to marry him. Her father had given his blessing the evening before, but as a private soldier under my command, he needed mine, also, as was the custom. After the customary "prospective son-in-law" interview (I have done it twice with my own!), and being satisfied with his answers, I gave my blessing.

He proposed to her in the King's Garden, and the date was set to marry at Ticonderoga next year at the Grand Encampment. Arrangements were started with the fort to get their permission and assurances were given that it c

Seamus

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - June 30 2004 :  5:29:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi Jim!

Unusual for sure, and I am not complaining....I'll take them all like this year so far: 3 major events, 3 gorgeous COOL, DRY weekends. Rain before, rain after, but during--Wonderful!!

NO earwigs!!

Not one!

I will not be at Necessity, but some of my guys will be with the 1st Battalion Pennsylvania, Weiser's Battalion. They will be Virginians. Now I know that last comment will confound and confuse some folks out there, but.....only troops at Necessity in 1754 are to be represented at this event, so one must choose who he will be! Pennsylvania troops will be Virginia Militia for the weekend, wearing civilian dress.

Have fun, Jim, and thanks for a GREAT Cook Forest!

Life's journey is not to

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

CT•Ranger
Colonial Militia

indian ... nicholas
USA

October 14 2002

Posted - June 30 2004 :  11:17:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hey sorry I missed everyone up at Fort Ti. My wife and I were over near Boston at the time, exploring Concord and the Battleroad. Ti sure is close enough I should've been there. Actually I was up there last month, camped at Rogers' Rock and spent the day at Ti. Was the second time I've been there, but this time I had a better appreciation of the surrounding geography and historical significance. I had just been reading Ketchum's "Saratoga." Having just recently moved to NY, I don't have a unit yet, plus I need to do some work on my kit. Maybe I'll take to the field on the next campaign.

YMHS,
Connecticut•Ranger
Thomas Thacher

Kurt
Mohicanite

The Old Trapper
USA

September 27 2003

Posted - July 01 2004 :  06:14:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
After pitching camp last Thursday we took supper in town and on the way back, Sergeant Pray led us to some of the sights. It is possible to drive most of the way to the top of Mt. Defiance so the view is available to to all. It was neat being able to look down on camp and it was painfully clear why the fort was abandoned when Burgoyne place the cannon there. There was another fortification on the north side of town (a blockhouse, I think) that is a cemetary and woods now whose name escapes me. The building in town that looks like a fort is the water treatment plant! (Stay upstream of that one, lads!) Oh, the things you find out on a scout!

Yr. obt. svt.
Kurt

alikws
Colonial Settler

USA

October 23 2003

Posted - July 01 2004 :  5:25:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
ticonderoga was a good social time this year, although the battles were weak...

saturday started with a parley, where the british tried to entice the natives to fight for the crown with promises of trade gifts &c... the iriquois went over but for abenakis, we had our black robe with us and presented the british with gifts of our own - a belt of war, and the skull of wade stoner {carried over from the lake in october, read reports from whoghas and pt chauncy}.. the french were late, so a bit of unplanned singing took place, then a parlay with the french commander jon soule and passing around some reproduction 1750's chocalate {nothing like the flavored grease you get now}...

the battle plan was to have a primary action out towards the kings garden side, and a secondary action off the end of the fort, i was in the secondary action...

the plan was to have a group of rangers push us into sight of the spectators then the rangers would come into the range of the forts guns, and _both_ sides would take heavy losses, some scripted hand to hand would take place, the last 2 surviving natives would escape into the woods, 2 rangers would give chase, and the few surving rangers would be pushed off the field by french milice, who would then in turn be pushed by british regulars in a bayonet charge... all who took hits were _supposed_ to remain dead until the scenario ended... reality was quite different, and sunday went a little better, but still had problems...

saturday night was a bit of socilising, feasting, some fencing demonstrations, a spontanious fife and drum concert by the picnic tables, and singing and dancing in the native camp...

sadaquis broke in his winter project, a restored canvas and wood 25 foot canoe, it moves, i think we could have pulled a skier...

several other boats were there, but with the spectator battle towards the land, they were not in the scenario - a loss - looking foward to ft 4 and especialy crown point for water action...

sunday was a sleep in day, a battle same plan as saturday, then most left fairly quickly, only a few stayed til monday morning, i was not one of them...

loyalist1776
Lost in the Wilderness

Huron 2

July 03 2004

Posted - July 06 2004 :  10:46:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit loyalist1776's Homepage  Send loyalist1776 an AOL message  Send loyalist1776 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I wish I had known about this website before I had gone to Ti. I think it was a good weekend over all, although the battle's didn't impress me, even though sundays battle was my first time in a *combat* sitution(which was totally awesome) We got to fife and drum alot which was awesome (usually at events we don't play very often) Anyway, I had so much more to say, but I can't remember now :-p

alikws
Colonial Settler

USA

October 23 2003

Posted - July 06 2004 :  11:20:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
crown point, the 2nd weekend in august is better for battles, both days have morning tacticals and afternoon spectator battles... site is fantastic, and its the only place in the country, any period where each side camps at a fort apropriate to their side, {the old french fort st fredric, and the newer british crown point... as for restoration, both forts are stabilised ruins, unlike ticonderoga... mosquitos can be downright vicious, so be prepaired... may and october private tacticals are held here as well...
  Previous Topic: Tents and Shelters Topic Next Topic: George Washington Liked the Movie  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.64 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07