The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/1/2024 8:25:49 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 COLONIAL TIMES
 The Muster
 A Question for the Sarge
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: George Washington Liked the Movie Topic Next Topic: Kittanning  

Bookworm
Colonial Militia

USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
February 10 2004

Donating Member

Posted - June 22 2004 :  10:22:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great story you're telling, Sergeant Munro! Many thanks for all the effort that obviously goes into it. I look forward to every new episode, especially as one thread of the story is now taking place in central PA. My question concerns the title of the latest installment, "Over the Hills and Far Away." I know that as the song that introduces each episode of the Richard Sharpe series, set in the early 1800s. (We're just now renting it on DVD, and have seen 5 or 6 episodes so far.) Is it actually a song that was sung by British soldiers in that period or earlier (as opposed to a song written for the show)? I'm guessing it is, but figured you'd know for sure.

Bookworm

"I've gotten so fascinated with the eighteenth century, I'm going to stay there." -- David McCullough

"Nothing to it, brother." -- Barack Obama
report to moderator

Fitz Williams
Colonial Militia

USA

May 19 2002

Posted - June 23 2004 :  12:18:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
The song goes back to the War of Spanish Succession. The original words are "Queen Ann commands and we obey".
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - July 02 2004 :  8:02:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi Bookworm,

Sorry I missed your question, it must have been buried between my previous visits. I am glad you are enjoying my series of stories, and eventhough there is a considerable amount of 'artistic license' taken, I base alot of the surrounding events (Like the poor morale and conduct of certain garrisons/officers) from letters found in 'The Papers of Henry Bouquet'. Sometimes I have to modify the dates of certain events, in order to maintain story flow, but I am usually within a week or so of the historical incident.

Another good source for my story ideas is found within Thomas Montgomery Lynch's 'Report On The Frontier Forts Of Pennnsylvania'. One caveat, concerning Dr. Lynch's work, is that some of his theoretical conclusions have since been disproven from digs in the 1950's and 1960's. The other sources, which I regularly go back to, are Hunter's 'Forts On The Pennsylvania Frontier 1753-1758', the various works of C. Hale Sipe (Indian Wars Of Pennsylvania and Fort Ligonier), the works of Stotz & James (Drums In The Forest, et.al), Ms. Darlington's books on Fort Pitt and Colonel Bouquet and various other works on the 42nd Royal Highland Regiment and the British Army of the period.

One more thing, Fitz is correct about 'Over The Hills And Far Away', that being the main lyrics were composed during the Reign of Queen Anne. The actual marching tune goes back to the English Civil War.

Thank you again for enjoying my stories, I shall endevor to always put forth the best work I can. Please keep the feedback coming...

Your Most Humble Servant,

Serjeant-Major Duncan Munro
Capt. Thos. Graham's Coy.
42nd Royal Highland Regiment of Foote
(The Black Sheep of the Black Watch)

"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
-Or-
"Recruit locally, fight globally."

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - July 02 2004 :  9:35:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
P.S.

I have to apologize if my spelling, punctuation or other mechanical skills of written English are wanting at times. The mistakes are minor, but noticable.

-Or-

Bookworm
Colonial Militia

USA

February 10 2004

Donating Member

Posted - July 03 2004 :  4:25:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
No apologies are necessary, Sgt. Munro, I'm just glad that you're able to find time in your very busy life to write the stories. Thanks for sharing your principal sources with me, and thanks also to you and Mr. Williams for the information about the song. I'm inordinately glad to know that it's an actual song of the period (and even earlier). And I (and others, no doubt) am looking forward to hearing about your non-combatant visit to Fort Necessity.

Coincidentally, I bought a copy of Hunter's "Forts on the Pennsylvania Frontier" just a few weeks ago. It was a bittersweet occasion, however, as our favorite independently owned bookstore was having a going-out-of-business sale. It fought the brave fight against the internet bookstores and Borders and Barnes and Noble for probably more years than anyone thought it could hang on, but finally had to call it quits. I was able to buy the Hunter book at 40% off, then decided to wait for even bigger reductions on several other Wennawoods books that were in stock. Bad idea! When I went back during the 60%-off week, they were all gone. Wonder who else wanted "A Handbook of the Delaware Indian Language," and why?!

I haven't read the Hunter book yet, but I did check the indexed entries for "Pomfret Castle," as I grew up hearing about that. As you probably know, a fort of that name was supposed to be built on the Mahantango Creek, on the border of present-day Snyder and Juniata counties, where my Graybill ancestors were living, but the plan was abandoned after Fort Granville fell. Nevertheless, a legend grew that a stone springhouse in that area was the fort, or part of it. My family history includes a photograph of that little stone building with the caption "Pomfret Fort built 1756. Located on Guy Winey farm near Richfield." (The Wineys were a family we intermarried with -- my father even had an uncle named Winey Graybill, poor man!) Back in the seventies, if memory serves, the Snyder County Historical Society Bulletin published two articles on the subject, one by a local historian written decades earlier, attempting to prove that the springhouse was the fort, and another of more recent vintage that disproved the myth. So, for various reasons, I'm looking forward to learning more about the frontier forts and hope to get to the Hunter book soon.

Bookworm

"I've gotten so fascinated with the eighteenth century, I'm going to stay there." -- David McCullough

"Nothing to it, brother." -- Barack Obama

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - July 03 2004 :  11:57:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Bookworm reported:I was able to buy the Hunter book at 40% off, then decided to wait for even bigger reductions on several other Wennawoods books that were in stock...

Bookworm, you are in for a real treat. Hunter's book is an excellent reference work, as well as a 'straight through' read. You will not be disappointed with your purchase.

Your Most Humble Servant,

-Or-
  Previous Topic: George Washington Liked the Movie Topic Next Topic: Kittanning  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.31 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07