The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/1/2024 12:23:16 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 COLONIAL TIMES
 The Muster
 Champlain
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Kittanning Topic Next Topic: re-enactors? could somebody fill me in a little? :)  

Fitz Williams
Colonial Militia

USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 19 2002

Posted - June 08 2004 :  12:16:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My daughter got me a DVD of Black Robe for my birthday. It is much better quality than my VHS. I played it on my Laptop and I noticed that when Champlain is getting dressed to meet with the Indians at Quebec, he puts a cross around his neck, and it is a Hugeunot cross. Was he a Huguenot? I think they were banned from settling in New France under Louis XIV, but that was later time.
report to moderator

Kurt
Mohicanite

The Old Trapper
USA

September 27 2003

Posted - June 08 2004 :  12:40:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
From reading http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/03567a.htm it appears Champlain was a soldier in the Catholic army fighting the Huguenots.

Yr. obt. svt.
Kurt
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

CT•Ranger
Colonial Militia

indian ... nicholas
USA

October 14 2002

Posted - June 08 2004 :  12:41:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I believe Champlain was indeed raised a Huguenot, brought Huguenot merchants with him to New France, and married a Huguenot. He was born in a Huguenot city, and had a Huguenot name, Samuel. Catholics did not commonly use Old Testament names at the time, whereas Protestants did. Many of the first governors of New France were Huguenots. After the Edict of Nantes was revoked in 1685, Huguenots were not allowed to worship in New France, although I've read that Huguenots could worship on Huguenot ships while in harbor. Many Huguenots also came to New England including Paul Revere's father Apollos Rivoire, later anglicized to Paul Revere.

YMHS,
Connecticut•Ranger
Thomas Thacher

report to moderator Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Kittanning Topic Next Topic: re-enactors? could somebody fill me in a little? :)  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.27 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07