The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/9/2024 6:27:28 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 OFF THE BEATEN TRAIL
 Movies, Movies, More Movies! Any Movies!
 My Review: The Alamo
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Keep your fingers crossed!! Topic Next Topic: The Scarecrow Returns  

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - April 18 2004 :  6:33:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Just saw The Alamo today in Asheville ...

Let's see:

First of all, it became completely clear to me that the reviewer in this thread clearly had an agenda. Santa Anna was portrayed - I thought - in a most realistic manner. Nothing anti-Hispanic about it. He was what he was; a ruthless dictator. Should he have been shown as Mr. Rogers? The best on screen portrayal of the man, in my opinion, was the late Raul Julia's in Thirteen Days to Glory. His was much more deranged that the character depicted in the most recent take on the Generalissimo.

OK - the film ... random thoughts:

-- Cast was pretty fair, or better. Jason Patrick, who I'm normally not too fond of, made a fine Jim Bowie. Dennis Quaid was an excellent Sam Houston. The young whipper snapper who played the man of his own destiny, William B. Travis, was quietly & stoically impressive. Though again, I thought Alec Baldwin's version, again in Thirteen Days to Glory, sets the standard. Billy Joe Thornton deserves all the accolades he's been receiving as David Crockett. This is how I imagine the real "Davy" to have been. Aware of his legend, and a bit embarrassed by it. Very down-to-earth and realistic portrayal.

-- Good soundtrack.

-- Superb cinematography. Some absolutely gorgeous shots and very creative camera angles and aerial shots. A pleasure to watch.

-- Nice introductory scenes, good moments during the siege, and a pretty fair "rendition", albeit a bit too brief, of the final battle.

-- I thought the movie lacked the proper punch. It was fairly understated throughout. Though I did go through some surges of emotion, I was left to wonder if that was because I truly knew the real tale. Were folks who just meandered in to see a film struck in the same manner? I don't know, but I've a sneaky suspicion they left without feeling the true drama, the heroic efforts, that the true event contained. Case in point, one of the most powerful letters ever written [See: The Travis Letter] was given a rather mundane reading in this film. It lost so very much of its poignancy.

-- I thought the Runaway Scrape was presented in a confusing manner. Editing I suppose. To the masses, I don't think it was clear what was going on. Cut from the fallen Alamo to burning buildings. It could appear that was occurring at the Alamo. A few more minutes of film might have been nice.

-- Very interesting interpretation of Crockett's death. I won't spoil it for you, but it was different, plausible, and very entertaining.

-- My favorite part - The "duet" between the Mexican Band & Crockett's fiddle from the walls of the Alamo. Very, very good stuff.

-- No, I don't think I spotted Clabert - maybe once, but not sure.

-- All in all, a decent enough work, particularly so if you are interested in the subject matter. Much like Gettysburg, it might lose its appeal to the uninitiated. Maybe not. I look forward to the DVD - a sure purchase - for repeated viewings to see what I missed; for additional footage, I hope; maybe Wes Studi's role being restored; and the opportunity to search for The French Trader.
report to moderator

Kaylynn44
Mohicanite

Sunset
USA

July 13 2002

Donating Member

Posted - April 18 2004 :  6:58:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kaylynn44's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Billy Joe Thornton deserves all the accolades he's been receiving as David Crockett.

And all this time I thought that Billy Bob Thornton played as Davy.

Kay

~ An Infinite Zephyr~
Some things never end
As long as goodness exists
Winds shall always soothe

www.cloudsbooks.com

report to moderator Go to Top of Page

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - April 19 2004 :  04:45:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yeah! That's the one!!

Dillon1836
Deerslayer

richfed
USA

July 17 2003

Posted - April 25 2004 :  4:37:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dillon1836's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Seen it 4 times so far

www.alamosentry.com

Two Kettles
Colonial Settler

USA

August 01 2002

Posted - May 05 2004 :  10:14:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I'm up to #5, Wade! And if it stays another week (which is iffy), I'll see it at least one more time.

Two Kettles

Dillon1836
Deerslayer

richfed
USA

July 17 2003

Posted - May 14 2004 :  6:47:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dillon1836's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
That's 6 times for me!!

www.alamosentry.com
  Previous Topic: Keep your fingers crossed!! Topic Next Topic: The Scarecrow Returns  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.28 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07