The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/9/2024 9:22:58 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 Last of the Mohicans ABC TV version
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Missing Line on DVD Waterfall Scene Topic Next Topic: Wampum Belt  

Lurking Huron6943
Anonymous Guest

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
November 27 2002

Posted - November 19 2003 :  5:29:27 PM  Reply with Quote
Hi, Does anyone know where I can find the edited version shown on ABC several years ago? The original version is much too violent to show to junior high school students. The TV version was much better for this.
I already contacted ABC, but they say that they do not sell videos of movies they show. They also have no idea if they will show it again in the future.
Thanks!   Charlie
report to moderator

Theresa
Bumppo's Tavern Proprietress

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - November 20 2003 :  07:24:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Sorry,Charlie. Fox will sometimes run the movie but it includes a lot of the violence, too. I would venture a guess here, but perhaps her junior high students have seen violence in movies, maybe even worse than what's portrayed in this movie...afterall, war is like that.

Theresa
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

daire
Colonial Settler

USA

November 17 2002

Posted - November 22 2003 :  8:48:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I think they can handle it. There's stuff on tv and in videogames with more violence.

daire

Fitz Williams
Colonial Militia

USA

May 19 2002

Posted - November 23 2003 :  11:11:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
If you take the violence out of war, it becomes entirely too acceptable to the viewers. Show it in as bad a light as possible!

Mylene
Pathfinder

Burkina Faso (Upper Volta)

November 07 2002

Posted - March 23 2004 :  06:45:40 AM  Show Profile  Send Mylene an AOL message  Send Mylene a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
The first time I saw the movie was in junior high. We had to get a parent signature to say it was okay to watch, and she FF'd most of the movie (so of course, me and my two best friends at the time went out and rented it). I didnt even know there was an ABC special (and no, that wasn't the version she showed us)

Silence is golden...but shouting is fun!

vincent
Pioneer

Calvin
USA

May 20 2002

Donating Member

Posted - April 07 2004 :  5:41:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
FYI, Netflix has 3 versions:

(1) The Last of the Mohicans "R" 1992
(2) The Last of the Mohicans "UR" 1920 - Silent Boris Karloff version
(3) The Last of the Mohicans (Animated) NR 1999

Hope this helps...

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - April 07 2004 :  7:23:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Boris Karloff?!?! This I find hard to imagine! What part did he play, I wonder? Surely not Hawkeye! I'm gonna have to go do some research on that.

Back from doing research. This is most interesting! The film has been released on DVD, as Vincent mentioned, and I found this customer review on Amazon:

"Last of the Mohicans is a very fine silent adaptation of James Fenimore Cooper's Classic novel. The film distils a long novel into its fairly short running time, but remains faithful to the essence of Cooper's story. The main change is that the role of Hawkeye is relegated to one of secondary importance. The emphasis of the film is on the romance between Uncas and Cora Munro and the scheming of the evil Magua to have Cora for himself.

"The performances in the film are naturalistic and full of feeling. Wallace Beery as Magua makes a fine villain, while Barbara Bedford is a stunning Cora, brave, beautiful and feisty. But what makes this film work so well is the use of location, the glorious scenery and the thrilling action. Some of this action is surprisingly violent, especially an attack by drunken Hurons on a group of refugees. This attack includes a shocking scene of an infant torn from her mother's arms and thrown skyward to its death. Although the Hurons are shown in a poor light, the film on the whole, as is the case with Cooper's novel, is sympathetic towards the Native American characters. Uncas is portrayed as a far superior man to Cora's original British suitor. Her being attracted to Uncas is shown to be natural and indeed commonplace. This must have seemed a daring approach for a film made in 1920, a time when interracial romance was considered taboo.

"This is a very well produced DVD. The print quality is first class with almost no apparent damage. The colour-tinted images are sharp and clear and some of the scenes are dazzling in their beauty. The film is accompanied by a score which fits in well with the action and adds to the mood of the whole viewing experience."

So, my question is answered. Boris had a small bit part. This is quite a different take on the story, from the 1936 and 1992 versions. I thought this reviewer made some valid points, about the "daring" romantic theme for the early 20th century, as well as the violence. Of course, this was before the infamous movie censorship Hays Code was adopted (1934), so things were a lot looser than they were through the 40s, 50s, and 60s.

I would love to see this version. Most interesting, indeed. Thanks, Vincent, for mentioning it!

chasjehuff
Lost in the Wilderness

USA

September 02 2005

Posted - September 02 2005 :  4:56:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hello Again,
The points brought up were ones that I used when showing the original video version with parent permission slips. However, I had a couple of parents who complained and even compared me to the devil for showing this. They had read a column some far right Christian advocate had written (without seeing the actual movie) about the violence and naked savages with bare buttocks being portrayed. It didn't matter whether the information was accurate or not. When I sent an email to the guy, he admitted that he had not actually watched the movie, because he was against it. He said that he had heard someone say those things who had watched it. Naturally, that information was one of the things the parents used to complain.
I had a friend who had taped the ABC version, but it had commericails in it and for some reason the ending got cut off. I tried to videotape the FOX version after someone alerted me that it was on, but for whatever reason my VCR did not capture either showing. It's too bad that some company doesn't make an edited version for libraries and schools like PEPSI did of "Glory."
Charlie
  Previous Topic: Missing Line on DVD Waterfall Scene Topic Next Topic: Wampum Belt  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.28 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07