The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/5/2024 6:13:53 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 OFF THE BEATEN TRAIL
 Historical Sites!
 Historic Massachusetts
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: German Flatts Topic Next Topic: Rogers Island Visitors Center  

CT•Ranger
Colonial Militia

indian ... nicholas
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
October 14 2002

Posted - October 30 2003 :  1:25:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This weekend I will be touring the historic sites around Boston. This is not my first visit to the area, but this time I am older and wiser (so to speak), with much more knowledge of the historical significance of the sites. So it should be an interesting time. I will be visiting my ancestral homeland of the Plymouth, Taunton, Dighton area where my ancestor Jabez Howland's home still stands in Plymouth. I'm very much looking forward to standing on the ground my ancestors walked for 300 years, and visiting the recreated Plimoth Plantation and Mayflower II. I will also spend time touring the historic "North End" of Boston. There are few sites with so much history packed into such a relatively small area. On Halloween I might visit Salem, and tour some of the historic sites such as the "Witch House." And of course a visit to Boston couldn't be complete without taking time to visit the hallowed ground of Lexington and Concord. The weather forecast looks great, I can't wait to go!

YMHS,
Connecticut•Ranger
Thomas Thacher

report to moderator

Bill R
Colonial Militia

Farm Gnome
USA

July 03 2002

Posted - October 30 2003 :  2:16:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Enjoy your trip! It's wonderfully rich in colonial history! I envy you. It's been some years since I was able to get back there and do the tours. Meant to last year, but things came up. This year, even less chance. Maybe next year..........
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Gadget Girl
Gatherer of Gathering Gadgets

Winking Lady
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 30 2003 :  2:58:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Gadget Girl an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
WOW CT, Now that looks like a fine weekend you have planned. I visited the Freedom Trail the rainy, dark and dank Sunday afternoon after 9/11 (had to drive all the way from NC due to the airport situations). The Freedom Trail was a very special place to be at that time. I'll include a link (I hope it works) to what my feelings were that day that I posted on the Old Mohican Board just after I returned. I found the "North End" of Boston a VERY MOVING place!!!

http://www.mohicanpress.com/wwwboard/messages15/8336.html

I'm envious of your trip!! Plan some time for lunch or dinner in Little italy - OMIGOD the smells in that section of town!!!

GG

CT•Ranger
Colonial Militia

indian ... nicholas
USA

October 14 2002

Posted - October 30 2003 :  4:51:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hey GG, thanks for the link to the post of your experience in Boston! Your description was very moving, and I'm glad you shared it with us.

I remember the last time I was at Lexington, standing outside of Buckman tavern just off of Lexington Green. Thinking of what it might of been like to stand there before dawn on April 19, 1775, waiting for what might happen. Feeling the anger of having your home invaded by foreign soldiers, the fear of facing them, the resolution to stand for freedom. And then I walked over to the stone on the Green and read the words Captain Parker spoke that morning. "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here." That "felt like red, white, and blue."

YMHS,
Connecticut•Ranger
Thomas Thacher

Doc M
Great Quack Healer of the Frontier

Wicked Unicorn
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - October 30 2003 :  5:32:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Oh, definitely go to Salem if you can -- it's terrific, especially
this time of year! If you have time, try and visit the memorial
garden for the 19 people falsely accused and hung during the
famous trials...also the Essex-Peabody Museum, which has a great
collection of the original witchcraft trial papers.

Doc M...I'm mellllting....mellllting!

Bill R
Colonial Militia

Farm Gnome
USA

July 03 2002

Posted - October 30 2003 :  5:39:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
"Doc M...I'm mellllting....mellllting!"

Good! Here! Have another bucket of water!

SPLASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - October 30 2003 :  6:50:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
GG - I don't even recall that. Beautiful!!!

CT - You'll love the Freedom Trail - it is stirring, every step of the way. Try to go, if time permits, to Lexington Green ... and Concord ... and Battle Road. You won't regret it. Plimouth Plantation is wonderful. A real step back into time. See the "Rock," too!

Enjoy! We had a fantastic vacation up around all those places back somewhere around 1990 - give or take a couple of years. Look forward to hearing of your impressions!

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 30 2003 :  8:38:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Diana, that was absolutely amazing. Since I was not on the boards then, I had not seen that. Thanks so much for posting the link.

CT*R, you have a great time there! I've been to Lexington and Concord, as well as Plymouth, but have never followed the Freedom Trail, or been to Bunker Hill. I'm jealous. Someday...

Scott Bubar
Colonial Militia

USA

May 17 2002

Posted - October 30 2003 :  11:34:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I remember that post like it was yesterday, Diana.

OK, well, maybe a couple of weeks back.

Inspiring then and now.

~~Aim small, miss small.

Gadget Girl

Winking Lady
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 31 2003 :  11:04:00 AM  Show Profile  Send Gadget Girl an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thanks CT (and Joyce) - my pleasure - not much of a writer, but I was definitely "inspired" by the experience. A once in a life time way to "see" the area, considering that point in time.

quote:
Posted by Rich:

GG - I don't even recall that. Beautiful!!!

That's OK Rich- It WAS a tumultuous time around then!

quote:
Posted by Scott:

I remember that post like it was yesterday, Diana.

OK, well, maybe a couple of weeks back.

Inspiring then and now.

Thanks, Scott

SAFE TRIP CT!

GG

CT•Ranger
Colonial Militia

indian ... nicholas
USA

October 14 2002

Posted - November 04 2003 :  5:13:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well, I had a great time in Mass last weekend. Drove all through the night to get there, and still driving with dawn breaking, found myself entering the historic Mohawk River Valley. It was a beautiful sight with golden rolling hills, golden corn fields and fields full of pumpkins. Wish I could have spent more time there, made a very short stop in Herkimer, but I had many miles to travel still. I have a feeling I'll return in the not too distant future.

One of my first experiences in Mass was being swore at in a heavy Mass accent by a toll collecter who thought I took to long to gather my change (it was a long night). Shortly afterwards while merging from I-90 to I-95 I discovered the infamous Mass drivers , how driving conditions like that can exist in the USA in the 21st century still baffles me. A little paint and a few traffic lights could do a lot. Anyway, that's off the topic at hand.

Friday afternoon I got a chance to visit Lexington Green. It was Halloween afternoon, and very busy with hundreds of little children and their mothers dressed up, going from store to store to collect their candy. Despite the crowds I had an enjoyable experience. 18th century New England architecture is my favorite, and there are some great examples in Lexington such as the Clarke-Hancock House, Monroe Tavern and Buckman Tavern. Having other engagements, there was not enough time to travel down the road to Concord, but I've seen it before and there are always other trips. Besides the caffeine at this point was doing little to keep me going.

Saturday morning I traveled down to Plymouth with some family members and stopped downtown first. The Mayflower II is a beautiful ship built entirely by hand of similar oak in Plymouth England in 1957 and sailed over to Mass. While there we also saw Plymouth Rock, the Jabez Howland house and had a very nice picnic lunch. Southern Mass is a beautiful area, and I always like going there. From there we went on to Plimoth Plantation. Having studied the museum in history classes and reading James Deetz's books, it was very interesting to see in person, especially this time of year. There were not many interpreters, maybe 6 women, a couple girls, a boy and one man. Most of the houses were unoccupied by any interpreters, but with things like a cooked turkey on the table and hot coals in the hearth it was like the owner of the house had just stepped out for a moment. I could have spent all day there, but it was quite hot, a little humid, and we were getting tired. Leaving Plymouth I drove up 3A along the coast to Boston. This is the old road from Plymouth to Boston, and a very beautiful drive in autumn.

That night we went into Boston for dinner. Got off the T at Boston Common and walked most of the Freedom trail up into the North End and Little Italy. Of course it was packed with long lines at almost every restaurant. But we didn't have to wait too long to get into a very good one. After dinner we went to Mike's Pastry which had the longest line of all, and was full of delicious pastries. In fact I'm eating one of their eclairs as I sit here typing this. The North End is beautiful at night, especially with the fall colors. I think it's one of the few cities I could tolerate living in. Because of it's age, it's one of the few places in America which almost feels like Europe. And of course there's so much history there, at every corner.

Sunday morning I went back into Boston and attended the morning service at the historic Park Street Church built in 1807 next to the Common and the Granary Burying Ground. It was the first time in quite awhile I've been to such a traditional style worship service. It was a very interesting and moving experience full of a sense of history and communion between the past and present. Afterwards I walked through the Old Granary Burying Ground where Sam Adams, the Boston Massacre victims, Paul Revere, James Otis, and John Hancock are buried along with many

YMHS,
Connecticut•Ranger
Thomas Thacher

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - November 04 2003 :  7:02:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Your words sounded pretty good to me! I could almost taste New England.

Now, about that eclair ...

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - November 04 2003 :  10:14:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Sounds like you had a great trip, CT-R, packed chock full of sight-seeing. But when did you sleep? Good grief! You must be exhausted! (Course you're probably a whole lot younger than I, and can take it better.)

Glad you liked "my" Mohawk Valley! Gorgeous, isn't it? I do hope you can get back there and take lots of time to see all of the historical places throughout. Don't forget Oriskany!

Gadget Girl

Winking Lady
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - November 05 2003 :  10:10:36 AM  Show Profile  Send Gadget Girl an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thanks CT for recapping for us. There were no lines in Little Italy the evening I went (because of the travel obstacles around that time I'm sure), but it too was a warm fall evening and all the windows were open, and the smells...walking through the entire area was an olfactory delight! The Bakeries and Pastry shops - MMmmmmmmmmm! Glad you had time to enjoy that.

quote:
Originally posted by CT

Afterwards I walked through the Old Granary Burying Ground where Sam Adams, the Boston Massacre victims, Paul Revere, James Otis, and John Hancock are buried along with many others. Another moving experince.

I know exactly what that feels like!!! Sounds like a great weekend!

GG
  Previous Topic: German Flatts Topic Next Topic: Rogers Island Visitors Center  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.41 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07