The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/5/2024 4:24:15 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 OFF THE BEATEN TRAIL
 Historical Sites!
 Rogers Island Visitors Center
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Historic Massachusetts Topic Next Topic: The Strange Story of Frog Bridge  

Kurt
Mohicanite

The Old Trapper
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
September 27 2003

Posted - October 17 2003 :  8:55:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A very interesting archaeological lab with displays of artifacts from the main base camp of Rogers Rangers. http://www.rogersisland.org It's an easy on and off the Northway. A nice place for an encampment! Definitely more than one visit to take it all in. A great place to get up and stretch on a long drive.

Yr. obt. svt.
Kurt
report to moderator

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 18 2003 :  09:57:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Ok... yet another site added to my list of places in New York to get to...

Actually, I was practically on top of it when I spectated at the Saratoga 225th. I didn't know it was there, which probably wouldn't have mattered anyway. No time. Having too great a time absorbing everything at the encampments.

I have simply got to get back up that way to see all of those places that played such an important role for so many years. Next summer!!

(I see you are a fellow New Yawker! What general area of NY? I'm in Binghamton.)
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Pvt. Chauncey
Pioneer

Private Chauncey

October 05 2002

Posted - October 18 2003 :  7:18:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Pvt. Chauncey's Homepage  Send Pvt. Chauncey an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Greetings,

It is worth noting that Rogers' Island is in the middle of the Hudson River directly across from Fort Edward's remains. The Visitor's Center has done a great job with bringing attention to that little corner of America's history, since so much of Fort Edward is buried under homes and yards. Both are in the town of Fort Edward, and should there ever be a Northern/Hudson River Gathering, both places should most definitely be part of a tour.

I gather you attended the Encampment there recently. I was unable to attend but did make it to the Encampment last year:

http://reenacting.net/ri02/index.html

YH&OS,
Pvt. Chauncey

quote:
Originally posted by Kurt

A very interesting archaeological lab with displays of artifacts from the main base camp of Rogers Rangers. http://www.rogersisland.org It's an easy on and off the Northway. A nice place for an encampment! Definitely more than one visit to take it all in. A great place to get up and stretch on a long drive.

Tim Cordell
Pioneer

USA

July 18 2002

Posted - October 18 2003 :  7:50:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Greetings Pvt. Chauncey & all. Diane & I attended and participated in the 3rd annual F&I encampment end of Sept. instant. We met Mac! and some of your company. We also hope to make it to Number 4 next weekend. I had written a reply to this topic about an hour ago and got disconnected...Very frustrating. So, I will try again. The Visitors' Center has undergone continuing improvement and the stockade has been up-graded. Being on the actual ground is a grand thing. Supervisor Merrilyn Pulver, Director Eileen Hannay and the many hard working friends of the Center have made it a real destination. It was on Supervisor Pulver's farm that the 225th Saratoga Battle took place. Remember that the site is in New York but we are virtually mid-west as far as accent, lifestyle...and attitude. There are no "New Yawkers" here. Too cold and Too rural. The Adirondacks are one of the largest forever wild forests in the east. You can walk in Roger's footsteps and you can do it on ground that is sometimes as wild and untouched as he saw it. I had put a small blurb with photos on a From the Ramparts report last year. There is also a new film on the 225th Saratoga and you may be able to find out more on the Visitors' Center web site. I think that coming up here for an historic destination with all of our meaningful sites within short driving distances won't disappoint. One to two inches of snow predicted tonight in the High Peaks..Warmest regards, Tim

Tim Cordell

Scott Bubar
Colonial Militia

USA

May 17 2002

Posted - October 26 2003 :  12:37:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Cordell

... The Adirondacks are one of the largest forever wild forests in the east. You can walk in Roger's footsteps and you can do it on ground that is sometimes as wild and untouched as he saw it. ...

Tim, I thought the Adirondacks were mostly second growth.

~~Aim small, miss small.

Grenouille
Colonial Settler

May 17 2002

Posted - October 26 2003 :  1:26:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Grenouille's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Most of the Adirondacks probably are, like most 'forests' in this country. There are very few true old-growth forests left, and Cook Forest is one of these, located a couple hours away from where I live in PA...www.cookforest.com. Cook Forest dates from the 1600's. Cook Forest has the second tallest tree on the east coast of the U.S. If you all are interested in trees, here is a website that Dale the ranger from Cook Forest sent me. He is very active in the Eastern Tree Society. Here is the website:

http://www.uark.edu/misc/ents/

Regards,
Jim

quote:
Originally posted by Scott Bubar

quote:
Originally posted by Tim Cordell

... The Adirondacks are one of the largest forever wild forests in the east. You can walk in Roger's footsteps and you can do it on ground that is sometimes as wild and untouched as he saw it. ...

Tim, I thought the Adirondacks were mostly second growth.

Scott Bubar
Colonial Militia

USA

May 17 2002

Posted - October 26 2003 :  2:17:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Unfortunately, the Cook Forest site seems to be down at the moment. The other is quite interesting--thanks, Jim.

They have quite a bit of discussion as to what constitutes "old-growth" there, apparently putting it at 120 years. I think much of the Adirondacks would qualify as old growth, but most of it is second-growth--i.e., not "primeval". But I gather there are still pockets that are untouched.

~~Aim small, miss small.

Kurt
Mohicanite

The Old Trapper
USA

September 27 2003

Posted - October 26 2003 :  7:33:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yup, the top of the mountains you couldn't make money off of, and some hunting camps where the owner decided to save it for himself are the pockets that weren't touched. Of course, the top of some, like Mt. Marcy, contain the stunted trees that don't have a lumber value. Then past the treeline the alpine meadow plants that take decades to grow are left since they don't have an economic value and now the constitution of New York protects it.

Now the second-growth isn't too shabby when left to it's own devices for a couple of hundred years, mind you. Heck, in the old days fires were used to open up sections and creating meadows, anyway. And the difference a couple hundred yards makes between Ft. William Henry and Ft. George is suprizing. An easy walk of a couple of minutes from a tourist attraction past miniature golf through a large lawn leading up to statues into a wood of mature trees to a secion of wall from the 1700s. Now if you attempt to climb Prospect Mountain, you will see a second growth worth looking at. And Moose River in the central part of the Adirondacks (as opposed to the "touristy" edge) will show you a vista pretty much as it was back then. If you won't allow me primeval will you allow me prime?

Yr. obt. svt.
Kurt

Tim Cordell
Pioneer

USA

July 18 2002

Posted - October 26 2003 :  8:03:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Correct. The Adirondacks have been logged at least twice. There are pockets of untouched primeval growth. The Pack Forest in Warrensburg near my campground of years ago (exit 23 I.87)has never been logged and has the famous Grandmother Tree purported to be the oldest tree in the Adirondacks. I also have a painting by Winslow Homer of a high peaks hunting scene circa 1880. The peaks are denuded of trees at that time. The loggers didn't get all of the trees however and it's possible to walk pockets of never logged land quite easily..Mostly swamps. Archaeologist Scott Padeni and I discussed this topic recently and he told me of hundreds of tree trunks piled-up at the bottom of Lake George that he has seen while diving with Bateau Below and during other dives. The Lake was so choked at one time that the water level rose from blockages at the Ti (north) end. Today there is a controlling dam at that end. Lake George is higher now and many historic features are under water. This is very evident at the south end directly off of Fort Wm. Henry. When I say that you can walk in Rogers' footsteps and experience the forest as he experienced it I mean that the land and trails have not been built on nor replanted and have reverted to the approximate way that they always were. The great white pines have taken over again and I feel that the land is now pretty much the same as it was in pre-logging times. If you think about our capacity to change the planet, consider the fact that almost 6 million acres of our forest was cleared in mountainous terrane without the power tools or any power hauling vehicles..Axes, saws and horse powered skidders ruled. The fact that the Hudson, Schroon and other rivers were draining the area was crucial in transporting the logs to the mills. So, what was the premise of this reply? Oh yes....We are fortunate that the State decided to preserve this land 111 years ago. We are under some of the strictest land use dictates in the U.S. For those of us who have feelings for the LOTM period, the sites are for the most part still extant including the wild forest of that period. What do you all think? Regards, Tim

Tim Cordell

Scott Bubar
Colonial Militia

USA

May 17 2002

Posted - October 26 2003 :  9:10:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
It is indeed amazing to think about. I live in a small to medium sized city, but am surrounded by trees. 200+ years ago, this was all open land with vistas to the sea.

I try to picture what the forests away from settled areas were like in Rogers' time, and it's not that easy.

Prior to the first colonists arriving, I gather the Indians did widespread controlled burns of the forest to clear the undergrowth, leaving the big trees undamaged. There is mention in some of the early documents of the openness of these forests.

But the F & I war was over a century later. Native populations had dwindled and they wouldn't have been able to maintain their earlier management of the forests.

~~Aim small, miss small.

Grenouille
Colonial Settler

May 17 2002

Posted - October 26 2003 :  10:24:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Grenouille's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi all,
I guess the big difference between the modern forest of today and back during colonial times is that it wouldn't have been uncommon to see 500 & 600 year old trees everywhere. Many forests had been called "Shades of Death" because they were so gloomy from the lack of sunlight, because the big trees blocked out the sun. Trees so big that when they died, and were still standing, men could sleep within them. I don't think we'll ever fully comprehend the enormity of the original primeval forest in the U.S.

It boggles my mind to think of how many trees were cut down in this country from colonial times to the present day.
I think that we should hold on to the last primeval forests that we do have left, and make them off-limits to any kind of logging at all. When I'm up in the Cathedral Area of Cook Forest, I feel transported back to the time of a colonial-era forest, it's a great sensation.

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 28 2003 :  10:54:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
It boggles my mind to think of how many trees were cut down in this country from colonial times to the present day.

You're right, Grenouille, and there are far more trees today then there were 100 years ago in the U.S. This is because of decreased reliance on timber for construction, shipping, solid fuel and the reduction in agriculture here in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast. But fear not, the 'new-growth' forests of today will be tomorrow's 'old-growth' forest.

Your Most Humble Servant,

Serjeant-Major Duncan Munro
Capt. Thos. Graham's Coy.
42nd Royal Highland Regiment of Foote
(The Black Sheep of the Black Watch)

"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
-Or-
"Recruit locally, fight globally."

Kurt
Mohicanite

The Old Trapper
USA

September 27 2003

Posted - October 28 2003 :  9:29:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Greetings Pvt. Chauncey,

I look forward to a chance to see an encampment at Rogers Island but found the place in the following manner. We were headed to Ft. George to see Major Carleton's Raid and stopped to stretch our legs when we got to the Northway. In the Information Booth there was a flier for Rogers Island. I remembered your report and was pleased to find a sketch map. When the raid was over and my wife wasn't interested in looking at the displays at Ft William Henry, I suggested looking for the island. We approximated the military road from Lake George to Ft. Edwards and stopped at the center. A beautiful fall day and the Rogers Island center all to ourselves. We were about half way through the displays when it was thirty minutes untill closing so we watched the movie. It's a great museum and an easy on and off the Northway.

Yr. obt. svt.
Kurt

Yr. obt. svt.
Kurt

Scott Bubar
Colonial Militia

USA

May 17 2002

Posted - October 28 2003 :  9:53:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
BTW, Tim, since were talking of Roger's Island, any more word on those cut off sections of musket barrels?

~~Aim small, miss small.
  Previous Topic: Historic Massachusetts Topic Next Topic: The Strange Story of Frog Bridge  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.44 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07