The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/11/2024 2:26:56 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 OFF THE BEATEN TRAIL
 Movies, Movies, More Movies! Any Movies!
 Universal Studio classic monsters/best horror film
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page

Author Previous Topic: Warriors: Native American Vietnam Veterans a PBS doc. Topic Next Topic: Stephen King films
Page: of 2

susquesus
Mad Hermit of the North Woods

Susquesus
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
September 03 2003

Posted - October 23 2003 :  4:02:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Halloween Special:

Of the Universal Studios classic monster films listed below which is your favorite. In addition, what are your other favorite horror films?

Choices:

The Bride of Frankenstein
The Creature from the Black Lagoon
Dracula
Frankenstein
The Invisible Man
The Mummy
The Phantom of the Opera
The Wolf Man

report to moderator

susquesus

Susquesus
USA

September 03 2003

Posted - October 23 2003 :  4:12:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Other horror films I really enjoyed are:
Children of the Corn, Donnie Darko, The Evil Dead trilogy, The Exorcist, The House on Haunted Hill, The Fall of the House of Usher, The Others, Phantasm, Nosferatu, Poltergeist, The Serpent and the Rainbow, Stigmata, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, Scanners, George Romero's "Dead" films, King Kong-original, Them, The Thing, Hammer's "Dracula" films, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, Stephen King's "It", and anything with Boris Karloff.
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Bill R
Colonial Militia

Farm Gnome
USA

July 03 2002

Posted - October 23 2003 :  5:30:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Boris Karlof is the man. I also like Vincent Price, Peter Lorre, Lon Chaney (both of them) as classic Horror film actors. I particularly like the Raven - has Boris, Peter Lorre, AND Vincent Price in it! AND, as added bonus, first appearance of a very young Jack Nicholson...who much later in Wolf was pretty cool too. Then there is Arsenic and Old Lace which I consider classic Halloween fare. Anybody remember the old horror show Roland? I remember my sister and I staying up late to watch it, and then (at least for me) having nightmares afterward and wanting to sleep with my mommy. All these guys and films were shown on Roland, and later Elvira (one vamp that could have bitten me anytime anywhere!). Then there was Shock Theatre. Ah.........you didn't need tons of blood to have a good horror flick. Just decent actors and a plot which fed into our innermost fears.

TRICK OR TREAT EVERYBODY!!!!!!!!!

Dillon1836
Deerslayer

richfed
USA

July 17 2003

Posted - October 23 2003 :  5:52:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dillon1836's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
My favorite Horror film is "Halloween" with jamie Lee Curtis.

www.alamosentry.com

Bill R
Colonial Militia

Farm Gnome
USA

July 03 2002

Posted - October 23 2003 :  6:17:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Let's not forget Needful Things and Salem's Lot! Tis the season............TO BE SCARED!

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 23 2003 :  9:34:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well, I am most definitely not a fan of horror movies. They... well... they scare the you-know-what out of me... and I don't like it! In fact, I hate it!

However, in about 1962, my teen-age girlfriends and I went to see "The Phantom of the Opera" with Herbert Lom playing the phantom. I was enthralled with the story and cried my eyes out at the end when the Phantom died. I mean I sobbed! Right there in the movie theater! Ever since then, I have been a real fan of the story, and have seen a number of versions. And apparently the Andrew Lloyd Webber musical is finally being made into a movie, to be released sometime in 2004.

So, I had to vote for "The Phantom of the Opera." Besides, it's the only one I have seen on that list.

Have I said that I really do not like horror movies? I know, I know. I'm a big coward. Can't help it. The last horror movie I went to was in about 1964: "Black Sunday". I have never been so scared as I was while watching that movie... what I saw of it by peeking through my fingers.

Shudder...

Dillon1836
Deerslayer

richfed
USA

July 17 2003

Posted - October 23 2003 :  10:09:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dillon1836's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Wilderness.....I thought I'd tell you they are remaking The Phantom of the Opera.Patrick Wilson (who plays William Travis in THE ALAMO) is set to play Raol.....Christines loves in the movie.

Also,I saw The Phantom of the Opera when it came down here in Florida and I really really liked it.My favorite horror story really......

Happy Halloween everyone!

www.alamosentry.com

Highlander
Colonial Militia

Bushy Run painting
USA

February 04 2003

Posted - October 24 2003 :  02:51:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Highlander's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I remember back in the late 1970's early 80's we had the late show in Pittsburgh on Saturday nights called Chiller Theater.There were numerous horror flicks(mostly B Grade) shown after the news(usually two per night until forced off of the air by SNL).Some of my favorites were:"They saved Hitler's Brain","Gargoyles","Billy the Kid vs.Dracula","Twisted Brain"(with Mean Joe Green),"The Thing in the Cellar","Plan 9 from Outer Space"&"The Creeping Terror".

Highlander

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - October 24 2003 :  05:56:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
How about It: The Terror From Beyond Space? It would appear that Alien was based on that late 50's classic. First saw that on the big screen with my Mother & GRANDmother, of all people, when I was a kid. They used to give out dinnerware to adults entering the theater, so my Mom would go all the time to get the complete set!!! Saw a lot of movies that way, I did!

Hey Ed ... I remember "Chiller Theater" ... The Attack of the 50-Foot Woman ... what a film!!! :)

Doc M
Great Quack Healer of the Frontier

Wicked Unicorn
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - October 24 2003 :  4:43:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yes! Chiller Theater, hosted by "Chilly Billy" Cardille!! He specialized in showing only the finest works in modern cinema!
My personal favorite was "The Brain from Planet Arous" starring
the late, great John Agar. This featured the horrifying sight of
a plastic brain with two eyeballs stuck on it dangling from a string,
which was, of course, really an alien mastermind from another world.
Once the Brain took over poor John, all hell broke loose, as you can
imagine. I won't even BEGIN to tell you how the world was saved thanks
to the family dog -- some things must be experienced personally.
The one film he used to show that scared the *&^%!! out of me was
a little Italian import called "La Maschera del Demonio," better known
as "Black Sunday." It was released in 1960, so the special effects
are a little crude, but the sight of a nasty old dried-up vampire
slowly coming to life was pretty damned horrible, even by today's
standards.

If you ever come across a little gem called "The Woman In Black"
which was originally shown on A&E, grab it. I watched it once, and
I still have nightmares about it!

Doc M

caitlin
Bumppos Tavern Patron

MMBrand
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 24 2003 :  6:42:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit caitlin's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well, I remember being scared by the WWW and those damndable flying rodents from the Wizard of Oz - gave me nightmares.

"The Entity" comes to mind since it was on just recently... wasn't it based on a true story?

Jack McCall: "Should we shake hands or something, relieve the atmosphere. I mean how stupid do you think I am?"
Wild Bill Hickok: "I don't know, I just met you."

"A nation with no regard to it's past will have little future worth remembering."
A.Lincoln

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize that they were the big things"

Hawkeye_Joe
Colonial Militia

USA

July 31 2003

Posted - October 24 2003 :  7:04:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
We had "Shock Theatre" broadcast from channel 13 in Asheville, NC .. I could barely pick it up during the day but late Friday nights it came in very nicely...I got My mom to stay up with me the first Friday night I talked my folks into letting me stay up and "VooDoo Woman" came on.. very not scarey at all...I was about 11 or 12 at this time. So the next weekend she told me I could stay up myself and she was going to bed......that night I got to see the original "Frankenstein"....I was so damn scared .........I still think of that night every time I see that movie.. it's still #1 Horror to me..

HAWK

"The scum of every nation gravitates to the frontier."
Benjamin Franklin 1750

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for
lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
Benjamin Franklin 1759

The existence of flamethrowers is proof that someone, somewhere, said to himself, "I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't feel like walking over there to do it."

"Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a
drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist."

Bill R
Colonial Militia

Farm Gnome
USA

July 03 2002

Posted - October 24 2003 :  7:07:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Doc, How the HECK can you have nightmares after watching a silly old movie, when every night you have the "cute and cuddly" Snookums nightmare sleeping on the foot of your bed? Snookums gives ME nightmares, frankly. If you think he's cute and cuddly, I'd like to know how any dang horror movie is going to faze you or give YOU nightmares. I bet when you play "Itsy Bitsy Spider" it's with a real tarantula. I bet those aren't bat stickums on your window, but REAL bats roosting. I bet you and the headless horseman are members of the same stable and are riding partners. I think you are trying to bamboozle us. I think you are trying to put us at ease and unawares.....and then come Trick or Treat night.......knock knock.....there you and Snookums are leering at us. "TRICK OR TREAT! I'll have a gnome please, and give Snookums here a human leg!!" Pass the digoxin - charge the paddles to 400 and CLEAR!

Scott Bubar
Colonial Militia

USA

May 17 2002

Posted - October 24 2003 :  7:59:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Some great classics there.

Perhaps the scariest movie I saw was when I was "home alone" as a young sprout.

Boris Karloff's Black Sabbathtrilogy. The story where the nurse steals the ring from the corpse. A real spine-tingler.

~~Aim small, miss small.

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 24 2003 :  11:15:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Doc M

standards.

Yes! That's the one! Ohmigosh! That movie was so scary... I was about 16 when I saw it and I had nightmares for years! Doc, imagine sitting in a theater and seeing that one on the big screen. Holy crap! Never again!

Dillon, I think that the remake of Phantom that you mentioned with Patrick Wilson in it is going to be the musical version. Think I'll plan on seeing that one, although it won't be the same without Michael Crawford and Sara Brightman.

susquesus

Susquesus
USA

September 03 2003

Posted - October 25 2003 :  01:05:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I'm currently watching "The Canterville Ghost". This movie is great, Simon (the ghost), is hillarious. This is definitely one of the greatest comedy-horror films made. Right up there with "Ghostbusters", The "Evil Dead" trilogy, "The Ghost and Mr. Chicken", "Transylvania 6-5000", and of course "Young Frankenstein".

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 25 2003 :  09:20:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I love "Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein" (1948)!

Yes, Rich, I am an Abbott and Costello fan, too. Mostly of Lou Costello, who was a comic genius, IMHO.

Now this... is my kind of "Horror" movie!

Dances with Beagles
Colonial Settler

USA

May 19 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 25 2003 :  10:27:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I loved the old "Night Gallery" show with Rod Serling. Amazing how you can get scared in a half-hour long segment!

I also remember watching the original "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" when I was a kid, but I didn't get to see the ending. For years, I wondered if the Pod People won out, or not. In the remake, years later, they changed the ending. I guess there's some social commentary on the 1950's ending versus the later 1980's ending---do we all become Pod People or not?

But that one had me creeped for years.

Scott Bubar
Colonial Militia

USA

May 17 2002

Posted - October 25 2003 :  10:38:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
This is the same movie I'm talking about. I'm afraid I didn't read Doc's post carefully and pick it up. The movie has a couple of different names, plus the American version was watered down a bit, but still plenty scary.

quote:
Originally posted by Wilderness Woman

quote:
Originally posted by Doc M

standards.

Yes! That's the one! Ohmigosh! That movie was so scary... I was about 16 when I saw it and I had nightmares for years! Doc, imagine sitting in a theater and seeing that one on the big screen. Holy crap! Never again!

Dillon, I think that the remake of Phantom that you mentioned with Patrick Wilson in it is going to be the musical version. Think I'll plan on seeing that one, although it won't be the same without Michael Crawford and Sara Brightman.

~~Aim small, miss small.

Scott Bubar
Colonial Militia

USA

May 17 2002

Posted - October 25 2003 :  10:44:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by susquesus

I'm currently watching "The Canterville Ghost". This movie is great, Simon (the ghost), is hillarious. This is definitely one of the greatest comedy-horror films made. Right up there with "Ghostbusters", The "Evil Dead" trilogy, "The Ghost and Mr. Chicken", "Transylvania 6-5000", and of course "Young Frankenstein".

The Ghost Goes West is another good one in this genre.

~~Aim small, miss small.

Gasaka Soquilla
Pioneer

Duel Heritage
USA

October 17 2002

Posted - October 27 2003 :  4:38:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Gasaka Soquilla's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Amongst my favorites (besides the one's listed on the survey) are:
1) Nosferatu (the silent original)
2) Sleepy Hollow
3) An American Werewolf in London
4) The Fog
5) Bram Stoker's Dracula
6) From Hell (Jack the Ripper)
7) Halloween (the original)

& on tv The Nightstaker / Dark Shadows series

I also love anything with Karloff, & all the old Universal b&w horror films of the 30's & 40's (where they scared you with plot & atmoshere, not gobs of gore). And I shouldnt forget Christopher Lee as Dracula. I'm not too big on shock & slasher films (Halloween series / Friday the 13th / Freddy Kruger).

Have a safe & Happy Halloween!
Gasakasoquilla
(Lighthorse)

GasakaSoquilla
(Lighthorse)

Adjutant;
Joseph Brant's Volunteers
BAR Unit #225

susquesus

Susquesus
USA

September 03 2003

Posted - October 27 2003 :  7:58:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
If you loved "Nosferatu"-hard not to, it's excellent, you should check out "Shadow of the Vampire" starring Willem Dafoe and John Malkovitch. It purports to be the true story of the filming of Nosferatu. Very, very spooky. Apparently Max Schreck, the vampire, is the real thing. Dafoe is excellent as Schreck and Malkovitch as F.W. Murnau is also worth seeing. I know nothing of the REAL story of the filming of "Nosferatu" but this version is fun and scary to watch unfold.

Hawkeye_Joe
Colonial Militia

USA

July 31 2003

Posted - October 27 2003 :  10:33:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
If you watch "Nosfaratu" you will notice that young Jonathan Harker throws a "market wallet" over his shoulder as he gets off the coach to walk the rest of the way to the castle...

HAWK

Benjamin Franklin 1750

Benjamin Franklin 1759

The existence of flamethrowers is proof that someone, somewhere, said to himself, "I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't feel like walking over there to do it."

Gasaka Soquilla
Pioneer

Duel Heritage
USA

October 17 2002

Posted - October 29 2003 :  04:20:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Gasaka Soquilla's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by susquesus

If you loved "Nosferatu"-hard not to, it's excellent, you should check out "Shadow of the Vampire" starring Willem Dafoe and John Malkovitch. It purports to be the true story of the filming of Nosferatu. Very, very spooky. Apparently Max Schreck, the vampire, is the real thing. Dafoe is excellent as Schreck and Malkovitch as F.W. Murnau is also worth seeing. I know nothing of the REAL story of the filming of "Nosferatu" but this version is fun and scary to watch unfold.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

You know, I got side-tracked by my 4 yr old at the time, otherwise "Shadow of the Vampire" would've been on my faves list.

It was scary but also a big hoot ("I'll eat her later..." I just roared).

"Interview with a Vampire" & "Tremors" should be on my list too!
Oh well, I best stop or the list will keep growing & growing.

Nosferatu though, saw that originally on PBS one Saturday afternoon when I was about 12 yrs old (along with "the Cabinet of Dr. Caligari" [sp.]) & even though it was middle of the afternoon, Nosferatu scared the dickens out of me & left a heck of an impression (& still does)!

Happy Halloween!

GasakaSoquilla
(Lighthorse)

Adjutant;
Joseph Brant's Volunteers
BAR Unit #225

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 29 2003 :  09:23:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
& on tv The Nightstaker

Amen to that!!!!! I agree with you, Gasaka Soquilla, I remember growing up watching that show on TV. I want to say that it was on tuesday nights, but I could be wrong. Karl Kolchek rules!!!!!

Your Most Humble Servant,

Serjeant-Major Duncan Munro
Capt. Thos. Graham's Coy.
42nd Royal Highland Regiment of Foote
(The Black Sheep of the Black Watch)

"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
-Or-
"Recruit locally, fight globally."

Hawkeye_Joe
Colonial Militia

USA

July 31 2003

Posted - October 29 2003 :  2:46:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Little known Monster trivia:

The Frankenstein Monster in "House of Frankenstein", "House of Dracula", and "Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein" was played by character actor Glenn Strange. Strange was the bartender in Gunsmoke, also "Butch Cavendish" (the man who killed the Lone Ranger's brother and began his career), in "Legend of the Lone Ranger". Along with many other western roles. His Frankenstein make-up was used to make nearly all the Frankenstein Halloween masks manufactured, not Karloff's. Another lil tid bit before Halloween.. in "A&C Meet Frankenstein" Strange broke his foot/ankle walking in the high shoes in the middle of the filming, Lon Chaney,Jr. donned the make-up and did stand-in work for him. Glenn Strange's nickname was "Peewee".

Happy Halloween.....

HAWK

Benjamin Franklin 1750

Benjamin Franklin 1759

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Warriors: Native American Vietnam Veterans a PBS doc. Topic Next Topic: Stephen King films  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.7 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07