The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/7/2024 5:28:29 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 Where to get movie?!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page

Author Previous Topic: A must for Studi fans - Topic Next Topic: Theme - theater vs DVD
Page: of 2

Lurking Huron4369
Anonymous Guest

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
November 27 2002

Posted - October 21 2003 :  11:28:00 PM  Reply with Quote
Hurry! I _really_ need "Last of Mohicans" movie. Where can I download it?
report to moderator

susquesus
Mad Hermit of the North Woods

Susquesus
USA

September 03 2003

Posted - October 22 2003 :  12:23:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Download? Try BUYING it and supporting the people that made it.
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

caitlin
Bumppos Tavern Patron

MMBrand
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 22 2003 :  12:38:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit caitlin's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Lurking Huron4369

Hurry! I _really_ need "Last of Mohicans" movie. Where can I download it?

Wal-Mart has it for $5

Jack McCall: "Should we shake hands or something, relieve the atmosphere. I mean how stupid do you think I am?"
Wild Bill Hickok: "I don't know, I just met you."

"A nation with no regard to it's past will have little future worth remembering."
A.Lincoln

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize that they were the big things"

Lurking Huron4369
Anonymous Guest

November 27 2002

Posted - October 22 2003 :  11:34:52 PM  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Internet was supposed to be a free zone, and ones like me will try to keep it free as long as possible. I am not alone...
I need the movie just for notes by my history project - nothing more. It's in all large file exchange networks already - and you cannot stop it.
Why to spend 5 dollars on something you can get forfree? Why to use cars when walking is free and good for health? What's wrong with system of your ideals, you - Native-Americans-fans?
And by the way, the movie was released 11 years ago, and all the people who were working on it got their piece of profit already. If you go to huge supermarket and buy piese of plastic for 5 bucks, you will just support monopolyzing of the world by huge corporations - wasn't it one of the things that destroyed Indian culture?..
Shame on you...

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - October 23 2003 :  05:27:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
You're kidding, right? No, you probably aren't ...

Kurt
Mohicanite

The Old Trapper
USA

September 27 2003

Posted - October 23 2003 :  06:32:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
The internet was supposed to be a place to exchange ideas. Everybody wants to take, few will give.

If you really needed to do a history project, you would use the script available here. Unfortunately, this would require work on your part and as anyone to whom the world owes a living well knows, no four letter words are allowed in the "free zone".

Native Americans do not tolerate thieves.

Yr. obt. svt.
Kurt

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 23 2003 :  08:15:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Kurt...

Huzzah!

Carter
Colonial Militia

Tiger
USA

August 28 2003

Donating Member

Posted - October 23 2003 :  09:03:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I agree walking is good for your health! I'm selling my cars today and walking to the 2004 LOTM gathering! If I leave now, I just might make it in time!!

Bill R
Colonial Militia

Farm Gnome
USA

July 03 2002

Posted - October 23 2003 :  11:06:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I love LOTM. One of my very favorite movies. HOWEVER........

Let's start with the troubling penchant for today's "students" to study history from Hollywood MOVIES. No wonder they have no clue about real history. Too lazy to read, go to the library, etc. Now, it's likely the teacher perhaps as a project told students to watch a film on a historical topic and "compare and contrast" in the nature of History vs Hollywood history channel style, and that would be fine. However, I doubt that. Too many kids are "help! I need to do a 5000 word theme on history due by tomorrow - can somebody do the work for me and I'll just transcribe!" or "I need to write a paper on the French and Indian War, so can somebody explain the movie LOTM to me (too lazy to actually watch it and left the project for too late to do so).

He must have a very fast internet connection if he wants to download an entire movie. Forgetting for the moment the ethics of doing so.

Bothers me more that kids are getting their history from Hollywood these days than it does a cheapskate wants free downloads.

caitlin
Bumppos Tavern Patron

MMBrand
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 23 2003 :  1:22:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit caitlin's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Lurking Huron4369
Shame on you...

I was just trying to help...

How about renting it from the library then? Or you can check out all the abounding and generous information on this site - it would definitely be more accurate.

Good luck!

Jack McCall: "Should we shake hands or something, relieve the atmosphere. I mean how stupid do you think I am?"
Wild Bill Hickok: "I don't know, I just met you."

"A nation with no regard to it's past will have little future worth remembering."
A.Lincoln

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize that they were the big things"

Bill R
Colonial Militia

Farm Gnome
USA

July 03 2002

Posted - October 23 2003 :  1:32:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Oh Caitlin, don't apologize. Yours was a reasonable suggestion. I'm sure your suggestions had occurred to the guy, but he apparently doesn't want to make that effort. He wants it for free. Copyright means nothing. If he wants to be cheap and illegal, that's fine. But to lay guilt trips on us with analogies that spending $5 bucks on a video is how the Native American culture was decimated, he REALLY needs a history lesson - and a lesson in manners.

susquesus
Mad Hermit of the North Woods

Susquesus
USA

September 03 2003

Posted - October 23 2003 :  2:01:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Agreed.

ED209
Lost in the Wilderness

July 29 2003

Posted - October 23 2003 :  2:30:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I triple-dog-dare Lurking-Huron to call Russell Means a "Native american" to his face... then run!

BTW - If everyone started downloading their copies of LOTM, my 39¢ monthy royalty check would disappear! Please, think of the Hollywood working man before you pirate! ;)

Highlander
Colonial Militia

Bushy Run painting
USA

February 04 2003

Posted - October 23 2003 :  4:33:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Highlander's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
This guy doesn't want to spend a lousy five bucks for LOTM!I guess that he has other priorities,like maybe a nickel bag.

Highlander

Dances with Beagles
Colonial Settler

USA

May 19 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 23 2003 :  9:07:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Unfortunately, LurkingHuron's is a more common attitude these days, justifying theft by saying something about large corporations...I guess it's OK to sell out on your own personal integrity because corporations are "bad". Great logic.

Oh, and "I am not alone"....yeah, everybody does it, so it's OK.

But I am sure that if LurkingHuron ever did produce an original work, he (or she) would be the first one crying the blues about the fact that he/she doesn't get paid any money for it because it's free on the Internet.

Diane B.
Colonial Militia

Dream Catcher 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - October 24 2003 :  08:42:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Why to spend 5 dollars on something you can get forfree? Why to use cars when walking is free and good for health?

Here's a novel idea for you, Lurking Huron4369: since you came to this site asking for "help," why not buy the movie through the storefront here and help support this site? Wait a minute, I think that Kurt already posted the answer to my question: "everybody wants to take, few will give." Unfortunately, this is an all-too-common trait among many of today's young folks. I agree with Bill R ("he REALLY needs a history lesson - and a lesson in manners") - and Highlander's reply probably struck a nerve with this guy, as well!

It is evident from this person's vocabulary and writing style that he/she is someone for whom English is a second language, and perhaps Lurking Huron4369 lives in or comes from a country where the government and its citizens do not practice good ol' American democracy. This could go a long way towards explaining the obvious ignorance and/or total disregard for how things are done in the USA.

quote:
What's wrong with system of your ideals, you - Native-Americans-fans?

There's not a thing wrong with OUR ideals! BUY THE MOVIE, ALREADY! And when you finally watch it, pay particular attention to the line which so aptly describes you: "That is because they are a breed apart and make no sense!"

Rattlesnake Woman

"The earth does not belong to us; we belong to the earth." - Chief Seattle

Fitz Williams
Colonial Militia

USA

May 19 2002

Posted - October 24 2003 :  5:39:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
"That is because they are a breed apart and make no sense!"

He can only do this if he buys the tape and not the DVD.

Lurking Huron4369
Anonymous Guest

November 27 2002

Posted - October 24 2003 :  7:56:54 PM  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Kurt
and as anyone to whom the world owes a living well knows, no four letter words are allowed in the "free zone".

Here are all 4-letter words that used: need, free, zone, ones, like, just, more, file, stop, free, good, with, your, fans, were, huge, that.
Now - which of these words are illegal? Sure, there are some bad words that contain 4 letter,s but as you can see, I have not used them.
quote:

And I am not a thief. would you be thief if you listened to some new song on radio and didn't buy it? What if you recorded it on a tape? Is that stealing? Click is not a crime.

quote:
Originally posted by Carter
I agree walking is good for your health! I'm selling my cars today and walking to the 2004 LOTM gathering! If I leave now, I just might make it in time!!

So what? Are you out of arguments or is it your regular sense of humor?

quote:
Originally posted by Bill R
Let's start with the troubling penchant for today's "students" to study history from Hollywood MOVIES. No wonder they have no clue about real history. Too lazy to read, go to the library, etc. Now, it's likely the teacher perhaps as a project told students to watch a film on a historical topic and "compare and contrast" in the nature of History vs Hollywood history channel style, and that would be fine. However, I doubt that. Too many kids are "help! I need to do a 5000 word theme on history due by tomorrow - can somebody do the work for me and I'll just transcribe!" or "I need to write a paper on the French and Indian War, so can somebody explain the movie LOTM to me (too lazy to actually watch it and left the project for too late to do so).

We are watching Hollywood movies in our History class to get an idea of what the life and people were back then. There aren't perfect movies, and probably it was different in reality, but this is all we have now unless you do travelling in time trick like in movie "Kate and Leopold" (by the way, it's very nice movie). Our history teacher has 2 "Teacher of the year" awards, and I am the top student, and going to get a honos diploma. Oh, and by the way, I DO visit libraries, play sports, an speak 4 languages.

was just trying to help...

quote:
Originally posted by caitlin
you can check out all the abounding and generous information on this site - it would definitely be more accurate.
Good luck!

Congratulations! You are first person from this forum who writes normal messages. This site is nice (if you turn off the music) but I need the movie - our class had been taking video notes when I was ill.

quote:
Originally posted by Bill R
he REALLY needs a history lesson - and a lesson in manners.

Dear William! I assure you

Scott Bubar
Colonial Militia

USA

May 17 2002

Posted - October 24 2003 :  8:04:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Is this our first troll?

~~Aim small, miss small.

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - October 24 2003 :  8:09:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hey Anon ...

As I figured, you're just jerking our chain. Enjoying yourself? Your first two posts show your colors, so please ... spare us the revisionism.

Bill R
Colonial Militia

Farm Gnome
USA

July 03 2002

Posted - October 24 2003 :  8:52:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I like the part about the teacher getting two awards. I guess, these days, if you show a GOOD movie which is interesting to the students as your "history" lesson as opposed to a boring (to the students) movie, you are deserving of awards. Not hard to graduate summa cum laude when all you have to do is watch a movie. As I originally said....if the teacher was using it as a tool to teach real history vs hollywood that would be great. On the one hand, I think LOTM is a great movie and much more period-correct than a lot of movies, BUT it's still Hollywood. I get the feeling, even more so with anon's explanation, that the movie is being used AS history. I'd hate to think a study of Soviet Russia and the Russian Revolution would be taught mainly by watching "Reds" and "Dr Zivago". And we wonder why Jay Leno gets the answers he does?

Actually anon....this isnt my territory, I have no power to delete posts, and was merely making an observation. However, do you really think the artists do what they do mainly for the satisfaction and don't care about the money and royalties? You know better than that, bright guy that you tell us you are. So.....that was just lame justification for ripping off a copyrighted film, right? Royalties and residuals DO matter to those folks. That's why big lawsuits have been filed against "free" music download zones. Besides, it's a damn good movie, you seem to be interested in that stuff given your LurkingHuron ID, so if it isn't already in your library at home, WHY NOT? And why not buy it to have it if not?

Carter
Colonial Militia

Tiger
USA

August 28 2003

Donating Member

Posted - October 25 2003 :  08:12:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
"--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Originally posted by Carter
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So what? Are you out of arguments or is it your regular sense of humor?"

No, I was merely demonstating your absurdity by being absurd myself. A subtlety lost on you I surmise.

Hawkeye_Joe
Colonial Militia

USA

July 31 2003

Posted - October 25 2003 :  08:34:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Your teacher should work on your english writing skills....

"Internet was supposed to be a free zone".........Use of a "the" here would help...

"Why to spend 5 dollars on something you can get forfree?".........Why to spend.. WTF??

"If you go to huge supermarket and buy piese of plastic for 5 bucks".......Maybe an "a" or two here

"Congratulations! You are first person from this forum who writes normal messages."....Another lost "the"

"and I bet my grades are even higher than yours,".....But not in English Composition class

"if you buy DVD in London, you can't play it in USA because it's different zone"....Two lost "a"'s and a lost "the"...

"A newsflash! I am citizen of the United States"...Used "the" but lost an "a"...

"I've been to places you have never heard about".... I doubt that

"Our history teacher has 2 "Teacher of the year" awards, and I am the top student, and going to get a honos diploma"......If you are the "top student" ..the Faculty should be fired..

*yawns* .. go away Lurking One...watch the movie...also read the script here.. it's free too.. and it will help in understanding some scenes..

HAWK

"The scum of every nation gravitates to the frontier."
Benjamin Franklin 1750

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for
lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
Benjamin Franklin 1759

The existence of flamethrowers is proof that someone, somewhere, said to himself, "I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't feel like walking over there to do it."

"Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a
drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist."

Bill R
Colonial Militia

Farm Gnome
USA

July 03 2002

Posted - October 25 2003 :  2:45:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I'm not really troubled by his syntactical grammer (or lack of it). Particularly if he is a naturalized citizen - as his grammer would suggest. If he truly speaks four languages (one of which would be English apparently and not his primary language) more power to him. No, what bothered me was the cavalier way he would violate copyright laws, and drag the site into conspiracy to do so.....and have no idea what's wrong with that. Then, when called on it, rant about big corps, NA treatment, and try to connect all that in a ludricrous attempt to justify something illegal, immoral and unethical....especially when you can get the video so cheaply. Up till then, it was only about the ethics of violating copyright laws.
Funny thing - he claims such indignation at how corps rip off Native Americans, and overlooks the little fact that by NOT paying for the video he rips off FOUR Native American actors....or at least doesn't show enough respect for them to obtain the video the right way and keep it in his collection.
It was a secondary observation about the methods of teaching these days. Wasn't calling him stupid or anything so not sure where the rant comes from about my grades vs his....which matters not and has no bearing on the subject. Now in MY day, as many of you out there will recall.....teachers gave you a project like this only as a beginning. You'd watch a movie such as this, and afterward the project would be to write a 5,000 or 10,000 word paper comparing and contrasting the actual history of the period or event with the movie, using at least five distinct outside sources in the form of books, WITH quotes and attribution and footnotes - properly done or points subtracted - and a full understanding of paraphrasing and not plagiarizing (or points deducted again with too flagrant a violation resulting in a flat F)....as the real project. We'd have between two and four such projects PER SUBJECT with the exception of math.
It's how we learned to research, write, think, analyze, AND RESPECT COPYRIGHT LAWS. Anybody remember those days? Nowadays many teachers don't want to bother with that kind of instruction much, as they'd actually have to spend time reading each and every one of those papers. Much simpler to just show a Hollywood movie and let it go at that.

Scott Bubar
Colonial Militia

USA

May 17 2002

Posted - October 25 2003 :  5:09:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Those days were good, Bill.

Except that it took so darned much time resharpening those quills.

~~Aim small, miss small.

Bill R
Colonial Militia

Farm Gnome
USA

July 03 2002

Posted - October 25 2003 :  6:58:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yes Sir. And pressing that quill into the wet clay letter by letter was a real pain, not to mention carrying 10,000 words worth of clay tablets into school. HEAVY!

Hey, it was better than making bricks without straw for the Pharoah though!

(did I just date myself?
Page: of 2 Previous Topic: A must for Studi fans - Topic Next Topic: Theme - theater vs DVD  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.68 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07