The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
7/3/2024 3:56:12 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 COLONIAL TIMES
 The Muster
 Ping??
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: WANTED: F&I War Reenactment Schedule Topic Next Topic: About Leggings ...  

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - September 25 2003 :  4:29:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seamus...

What the bloody heck is "ping"???

I see reference to it often here, and it is nearly always connected with your name! I have never heard of it, although I have figured out that it is definitely alcoholic in nature. Is it some sort 18th century brew? Is it something you concoct yourself?

Please take pity and clue me in! I'm clueless!
report to moderator

Seamus
Guardian of Heaven's Gate

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - September 25 2003 :  4:41:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi WW!

Ping is a secret recipe drink, preferred by Rangers and others with discriminating taste. The attendees at the Gathering a couple of years ago were introduced to it at our encampment there. It is definitely alcoholic and is v-e-r-r-r-r-y smooth.......mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Hey English Trader!! Wanna take it from here?

Life's journey is not to
arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting
'...holy sh*t ...what a ride!'

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

~~Aim small, hit the b*****d right between the eyes!~~
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Theresa
Bumppo's Tavern Proprietress

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - September 25 2003 :  5:11:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yeah...and they're stingy with that recipe, too.

Theresa

Dillon1836
Deerslayer

richfed
USA

July 17 2003

Posted - September 25 2003 :  6:49:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dillon1836's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
So that's what you meant by "seamus and his Ping" Wilderness Woman.

www.alamosentry.com

English Trader
Pioneer

The English Trader
USA

June 25 2002

Posted - September 25 2003 :  9:48:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit English Trader's Homepage  Send English Trader an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well, Seamus is right in handing it off, as it is not his Ping. Except for the bottle he gets his paws onto and won't let go. I did hear Uncle Quasi had his share, though.

Ping is an old old old reciept (colonial spelling for "recipe") for a sort of a cross between a sweet fruit wine and a liqueur. Only the Major of Rogers' Rangers knows it, he learned it from the former Major and so on and so on back. Pvt. Chauncey Goodrich and his Major Mike Fitzgerald, as Seamus noted, attend the Gathering in '01 and brought Ping along with them. It was enjoyed by all. A couple of bottles were donated for Ariel's Auction then (I think) but definitely some were sent, along with Chauncey's own Lemon Shrub, were sent by courier for the '02 Gathering.

And, as Seamus said, it's very smooooooooooooooooth.

That's all I can tell you. I suspect they will send some to the '04 Gathering, unless one of them attends, and I know that on this board they have pledged to contribute to Ariel's Auction.

YH&OS
English Trader

quote:
Originally posted by Dillon1836

So that's what you meant by "seamus and his Ping" Wilderness Woman.

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - September 25 2003 :  9:48:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
That it is, youngun! (Wade) Nothin' you need to worry your little teen-age head about though! Listen to Mohicanland Elder WW! No drinking! 'Hear??

Hmmmmmmmmm... a secret recipe, eh Seamus? I gather it is not yours, but you are priviledged to know the secret? Hmmmmmmmmm??? Ve-e-e-e-ry interesting, but... mysterious!

Ooops! English Trader posted as I was writing this. Hmmmmmmmm... now my curiosity is really peeked... or is that peaked? It sounds very, very good.

And now... what is Lemon Shrub, or is that a secret too?

Seamus

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - September 26 2003 :  06:13:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
ET is correct........I make no claims on its origin, only on the bottle I have in my possession! I will neither confirm nor deny whether or not I know the recipe. Heheheheh!

BTW, WW ( WOW! That's alot of W's!, it is 'piqued'.......!

Life's journey is not to

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - September 26 2003 :  08:30:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Seamus

Thank you for the spell check, S-S-S-Seamus! The farther away I get from high school, the more difficult it seems to be to remember my propar spelingh. Ah, well.

BTW, I wasn't stammering. That stands for "Super-Sensational-Soldierly-Seamus"!

CT•Ranger
Colonial Militia

indian ... nicholas
USA

October 14 2002

Posted - September 26 2003 :  6:43:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Shrub was a popular drink in the 18th century, and is still a favorite among 18th century trekkers and reenactors. There are many variants for Shrub, but over at historicaltreeking.com Phil Swift posted this recipe in the trail foods section:

"Blackberry Shrub

In late August or early September 1997, I was thumbing through my newest issue of Muzzleloader Magazine. In it Mark Baker tells a story whose central theme is trying to get his hands on a jug of shrub. He relates it was the most expensive drink offered at Kaskaskia in George Morgans store.
What could be so great about this shrub stuff? I decided to find out. Most shrub recipes have some kind of alcohol added, Rum, Brandy, Wine, or Porter. However the first recipes I came across used only vinegar, sugar, and blackberries or raspberries. Shrub can also be made from Lemons, Oranges, Currants, Cherries, and grapes. The basic recipe for Blackberry shrub is as follows;

Put blackberries in an earthenware crock.
Barely cover with vinegar and let sit for 24 hours.
Mash, strain, and add 2 cups of sugar for each quart of liquid.
Boil for 20-30 minutes, and bottle when slightly warm.
To serve; mix 1 part shrub to 2 parts water.

20th Century Tips and Hints.

Fresh blackberries are best, but you can use store bought or frozen also. Cherries can be added also.
I've found Red wine vinegar produces the smoothest taste. After sitting for 24 hours, puree in an electric blender, then strain through a cloth jelly strainer. After bottled, store in a cool dry place HIDDEN from freinds and family (Yes HIDDEN)
A flask of non-alcoholic shrub is an excellent pick-me-up on the trail. Like 18th century Gatoraid, it replenishes electrolytes. This summer I made 6 quarts of concentrated blackberry shrub from fresh picked berries. That means 18 quarts of drinkable shrub when diluted. Not even close to enough for a year! Try it, the vinegar gives it an alcoholic taste, with no hangover. If you aren't sure if you like it the first time, by the third, you'll chase your freinds crock around all night, just like Mark did. Good luck getting some if you didn't make it yourself though.

References: Muzzleloader mag. VolXXIV, NO.4 pgs11-18 A Pilgrims journey,Mark A. Baker
Tankard Recipes and Drinking Customs,
compiled by Donlyn Meyers,Printed by Smoke
& Fire News, pgs 8&9.
Parting Glass, an American Book of Drink,
Wheaton: Printed by B. Lanzerotti,pgs 47-
53."

YMHS,
Connecticut•Ranger
Thomas Thacher

English Trader
Pioneer

The English Trader
USA

June 25 2002

Posted - September 26 2003 :  7:45:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit English Trader's Homepage  Send English Trader an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Good heavens! I buy cheap rum, queeze a load of Costco lemons to get lots of fresh juice, put that and a ton of sugar into a bottle with the rum, and let it sit for awhile, rotating occassionally, and then eventually decant it with a strainer. THAT was the receipt from some 18thC source (Hannah Glasse?) with rum exchanged for brandy.

YHOS,
English Trader

quote:
Originally posted by CT•Ranger

Shrub was a popular drink in the 18th century, and is still a favorite among 18th century trekkers and reenactors. There are many variants for Shrub, but over at historicaltreeking.com Phil Swift posted this recipe in the trail foods section:

[iPut blackberries in an earthenware crock.
Barely cover with vinegar and let sit for 24 hours.
Mash, strain, and add 2 cups of sugar for each quart of liquid.
Boil for 20-30 minutes, and bottle when slightly warm.
To serve; mix 1 part shrub to 2 parts water.[i]

English Trader
Pioneer

The English Trader
USA

June 25 2002

Posted - September 26 2003 :  7:49:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit English Trader's Homepage  Send English Trader an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Seamus just thinks he might know the secret of Ping. The truth is, he wants to conduct Taste Tests as often as is necessary until he is sure!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Seamus

ET is correct........I make no claims on its origin, only on the bottle I have in my possession! I will neither confirm nor deny whether or not I know the recipe. Heheheheh!

Seamus

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - September 26 2003 :  9:01:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I am a firm believer in constant quality control!

Life's journey is not to

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - September 28 2003 :  02:56:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thanks for the Shrub recipe, CT. I found another refreshing drink from our period in Mark Tully's "The Packet III", it was called Switchel. The recipe is as follows:

8 cups water
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup molasses
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

Mix all ingredients over low heat until sugar dissolves. Let cool and serve. From what was written by Mr. Tully, it appears as if this was the 18th century version of 'Gatorade'.

Your Most Humble Servant,

Serjeant-Major Duncan Munro
Capt. Thos. Graham's Coy.
42nd Royal Highland Regiment of Foote
(The Black Sheep of the Black Watch)

"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
-Or-
"Recruit locally, fight globally."

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - September 28 2003 :  07:57:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by SgtMunro

I found another refreshing drink from our period in Mark Tully's "The Packet III", it was called Switchel. . . . From what was written by Mr. Tully, it appears as if this was the 18th century version of 'Gatorade'.

Oh my gosh! When I lived on the "homestead", a friend introduced us to that beverage. We would mix up a batch on haying days. Yes, it was great on a day when we were working hard and sweating a lot in the hot sun, and we were so thirsty we couldn't talk straight. I had no idea we were using a "receipt" that was so old!

Thanks, Sarge, for posting the recipe... for I had lost it!

susquesus
Mad Hermit of the North Woods

Susquesus
USA

September 03 2003

Posted - September 28 2003 :  1:05:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hello folks, just thought I'd toss out a Lemonade recipe I found a while back claiming to be "Olde English Lemonade". I've tried it several times and it is definitely a different animal than anything storebought. Everyone I've made it for loves it, though, I'm not sure of it's pedigree. Here goes:

Ingredients:
4 lemons
1 cup raw brown sugar
3 3/4 cups boiling water

Scrub lemons, halve, then squeeze out the juice. Place juice and pulp in a large jug or bowl with sugar and 1 1/4 cups boiling water over. Stir until sugar dissolves. Add lemon halves and another 2 1/2 cups boiling water. Stir well, then cover and let cool. Strain, squeezing out lemon halves and serve.

Enjoy!

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - September 28 2003 :  11:32:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Thanks, Sarge, for posting the recipe... for I had lost it!

My pleasure, Wilderness Woman. An interesting note, Mr. Tully also stated that the beverage was known as "Haying Water", because it was to refresh the body after a hot day of field work.

Susquesus, thanks for the lemonade recipe. I tested it this evening, and it was very, very good. Thank you again!!!!

Your Most Humble Servant,

-Or-

English Trader
Pioneer

The English Trader
USA

June 25 2002

Posted - October 02 2003 :  10:27:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit English Trader's Homepage  Send English Trader an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
No rum? No Brandy? What's the point?

quote:
Originally posted by susquesus

Hello folks, just thought I'd toss out a Lemonade recipe I found a while back claiming to be "Olde English Lemonade". I've tried it several times and it is definitely a different animal than anything storebought. Everyone I've made it for loves it, though, I'm not sure of it's pedigree. Here goes:

Ingredients:
4 lemons
1 cup raw brown sugar
3 3/4 cups boiling water

Scrub lemons, halve, then squeeze out the juice. Place juice and pulp in a large jug or bowl with sugar and 1 1/4 cups boiling water over. Stir until sugar dissolves. Add lemon halves and another 2 1/2 cups boiling water. Stir well, then cover and let cool. Strain, squeezing out lemon halves and serve.

Enjoy!

Seamus

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - October 03 2003 :  06:37:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
YEAH!!!!! What she said! Been wondering that, too........what's the point??????????

Life's journey is not to

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 03 2003 :  1:59:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well, those of us (myself included) who indulge in the occasional libation will know what to add and to what quanity. I figured I would include the non-alcoholic variant for those who choose not to indulge or who have a long drive home from an event.

-Or-
  Previous Topic: WANTED: F&I War Reenactment Schedule Topic Next Topic: About Leggings ...  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.45 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07