The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
7/1/2024 2:02:24 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 COLONIAL TIMES
 The Muster
 About Leggings ...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Ping?? Topic Next Topic: Fort Loudoun Trade Faire  

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - September 04 2003 :  06:31:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Two questions about leggings:

1 - I remember, back in my ball playing days, always oiling up my baseball mitt with olive oil. Is it a good idea to "treat" deerskin leggings in such a manner?

2 - A real problem! Though my leggings seem to fit me snugly when first slipping them on, a few steps and they're down around my ankles ... and that's with the garters tied around them! Ain't gonna make it too far at Chimney Rock Park, I can tell you that. So, I'm guessing my solution is to tie 'em up to my breech clout belt, as well. Any super-duper methods for this? Or should I go legging-less?
report to moderator

Seamus
Guardian of Heaven's Gate

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - September 04 2003 :  06:47:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Rich,

1. Grease your leggings with Sno-Seal. Rub it in real liberally. It will not water-proof them, but they will shed 'casual water' and will take on a weathered good look. Also, everytime you get your hands dirty or greasy, wipe them off on your legging thighs. Over time they will age nicely.

2. Tie a thong (whang, to you Southern boys!) to the top outer edge by gathering the leather around a rifle ball and then tie them to your clout belt. That will hold them up. In time you may need to have them re-fitted and re-stitched.

That's the way it was done!

Life's journey is not to
arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting
'...holy sh*t ...what a ride!'

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

~~Aim small, hit the b*****d right between the eyes!~~
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Hawkeye_Joe
Colonial Militia

USA

July 31 2003

Posted - September 04 2003 :  09:02:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
No need to use a rifle ball, just cut a thin flat piece of dearskin about 2 feet long stitch one end of it to the top of your leggins and tie the other to your clout belt..Or as I said before if yer using a real belt punch a hole in it and tie another wang of leather there..tie the leather thong to this, this helps it not to bunch up and gaul your hip..I have had two pair of leggins with flat thongs like this and they haven't broken away from the leggin in many a year..

Use the olive oil.(sweet oil in the 18th Century) and make up some "moccasin grease" ...beeswax, a little tallow and that olive oil mixed up til it's just stiff is good for just about everything.. mocs, leggins, chapped lips, gun grease..etc.

HAWK

"The scum of every nation gravitates to the frontier."
Benjamin Franklin 1750

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for
lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
Benjamin Franklin 1759

The existence of flamethrowers is proof that someone, somewhere, said to himself, "I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't feel like walking over there to do it."

"Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a
drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist."

CT•Ranger
Colonial Militia

indian ... nicholas
USA

October 14 2002

Posted - September 04 2003 :  10:38:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I have an extra button on each leg of my breeches (on the side seam) which I use to button up the tops of my deerskin leggins. Of course when not wearing breeches, a strap or thong tied to a belt is best. There are many ways to attach this thong to the top, side edge of your leggings. Just about any way you can think of is best.

I carry a tin of a beeswax/tallow mixture which I use on my leather items as well as the stock of my musket occasionally.

YMHS,
Connecticut•Ranger
Thomas Thacher

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - September 04 2003 :  12:49:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thanks fellas for all that input!

Seamus, run that rifle ball thing by me again, please ... real slow and geared for idiots!

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - September 04 2003 :  1:00:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Wait! I think I can visualize it now ... you mean take a ball & stick it, from the inside, so that it bulges on the outer top of each legging. Then take a thong [as in a rawhide strip?] and tie it around the "ball-wrapped-in-legging" at one end, and the belt at the other ... ???? Yes? I think I like that.

Seamus
Guardian of Heaven's Gate

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - September 04 2003 :  3:53:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yep........thass it, LLC. Now......Joe is right about the tallow/beeswax oil goo, but for a newbie, it is easier and achieves the same thing if you use Sno-Seal. That is why I recommended it....fewer problems, confusions and frustrations trying to make it right. Wait until you are in the company of an experienced man like Joe and let him SHOW you how to sew the straps and make the goo.

You can also grease your mocs with Sno-Seal. Just don't walk around in the house on the rugs with them on or Lainey will turn you into La Lopped-off Canneloni. Girls have NO sense of humor when thier rugs get greased, too.

Life's journey is not to
arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting
'...holy sh*t ...what a ride!'

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

~~Aim small, hit the b*****d right between the eyes!~~

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - September 04 2003 :  7:55:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
You're right, of course ... La Lopped-off Canneloni will not do!!!!

Bill R
Colonial Militia

Farm Gnome
USA

July 03 2002

Posted - September 04 2003 :  8:01:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Maybe so......maybe so. But after such an operation, there'd be no more discussion between you and Lainey about who left the toilet seat up!!!! It would always be DOWN!

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - September 04 2003 :  9:33:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
You mean there would be another job available for Mrs. Lorena Bobbitt??

Well... it would resolve the religion vs. birth control issue!

(Just kiddin' Rich!)

English Trader
Pioneer

The English Trader
USA

June 25 2002

Posted - September 06 2003 :  8:59:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit English Trader's Homepage  Send English Trader an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Rich,

I don't quite understand the rifle ball thing. Everyone I know attaches a piece of leather to the outside and inside of the tops of their leggings, at the outter side, with enough room as it loops over to bring a tie through. Then, they attach a leather tie to that loop with a good knot, and bring the other end up to attach either to a button on their breeches or a leather thong around their waste. In the case of the latter, some attach it to the thong holding their breechclout, some use a second thong so that if the legging brings down the thong, their breechclout doesn't go too!!

Since I'm always in breeches, all mine have buttons at the pelvis bone (top of pockets) where I attach my legging thongs.

Hope that helps.

YH&OS,
English Trader

quote:
Originally posted by richfed

Thanks fellas for all that input!

Seamus, run that rifle ball thing by me again, please ... real slow and geared for idiots!

Previous Topic: Ping?? Topic Next Topic: Fort Loudoun Trade Faire  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.31 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07