The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/5/2024 1:21:23 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 COLONIAL TIMES
 The French & Indian War
 Best French and Indian War film, other than LOTM
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Which tribes were allied to each side? Topic Next Topic: French&Indian war/Seven Years War Films  

susquesus
Mad Hermit of the North Woods

Susquesus
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
September 03 2003

Posted - September 09 2003 :  12:07:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Excepting LOTM what is the best French and Indian war era film?

Choices:

Last of the Mohicans-Silent
Northwest Passage-Spencer Tracy film
Unconquered-Cecil B. Demille film
Barry Lyndon-Stanley Kubrick film
Allegheny Uprising
Pathfinder-Graham Greene/Russel Means(1994)
Washington''s First War-Documentary

report to moderator

Hawkeye_Joe
Colonial Militia

USA

July 31 2003

Posted - September 11 2003 :  07:16:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I'll tell you the worst..."Pathfinder" with Kevin Dillon as The Pathfinder....That was tha godawfulest movie other than "Fort.Ti" I've ever seen..That's one F&I movie I forgot to mention. It was shot in 3D and they threw all the knives, tomahawks and spears right at the camera...George Montgomery as a Roger's Ranger wearing the same costume as used in "Northwest Passage"

I also found a 1952 "Pathfinder" starring(again)George Montgomery as Pathfinder and Jay Silverheels as Chingachgook. this one I haven't seen but it got one good review..

I also found a French/Romanian "The Pathfinder" and a Russian one as well..."Sledopyt" (The Pathfinder)..1987 TV movie..

It gets more bizarre..I found a German "Deerslayer"... "Lederstrumpf, 1. Teil: Der Wildtöter und Chingachgook" 1920 silent .. and guess who played Chingachgook?? no .. no .. no..you would never ever guess...........Bela Lugosi.....then another German one .."Lederstrumpf" (The Deerslayer) 1923 silent this one was directed by the same man a the 1920 version...then a 1969 Romanian Deerslayer..."Vînatorul de cerbi "

They sure like Cooper over there.......

HAWK

"The scum of every nation gravitates to the frontier."
Benjamin Franklin 1750

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for
lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
Benjamin Franklin 1759

The existence of flamethrowers is proof that someone, somewhere, said to himself, "I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't feel like walking over there to do it."

"Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a
drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist."
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Grenouille
Colonial Settler

May 17 2002

Posted - September 11 2003 :  09:09:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Grenouille's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi,
If you are talking about movies that are strictly about the F & I War, you will have to exclude "Unconquered", because it takes place during Pontiac's Uprising, 1763. Unfortunately, colonial-era movies are few and far between.

Jim

susquesus
Mad Hermit of the North Woods

Susquesus
USA

September 03 2003

Posted - September 11 2003 :  1:52:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
It's true there is a frustratingly small amount of Revolution era films out there, and I definitely agree that the Kevin Dillon version of Pathfinder is horrible. I saw it around 1998, I read Pathfinder a couple of years later and thought about renting it again. I went to the video store to get it but when I picked up the box and looked at the box I was reminded of how poorly it compared to the Mann film in every aspect and thought better of the idea, best to let sleeping dogs lye. It's too bad Mr. Greene and Mr. Means lent their talents to such a poor effort.
There are some pictures from the shooting of a 1911 version of Deerslayer in the Gallery at the James Fenimore Cooper Society website. It'd be fun to see that or any other silent version of the Cooper stories, it's just too bad there aren't any other good "soundies".
  Previous Topic: Which tribes were allied to each side? Topic Next Topic: French&Indian war/Seven Years War Films  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.3 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07