The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/6/2024 5:46:40 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 OFF THE BEATEN TRAIL
 Into The Wilderness ...
 Boundary Waters, Minnesota
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Docs Tactical 2004 Topic Next Topic: Its snowing!  

susquesus
Mad Hermit of the North Woods

Susquesus
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
September 03 2003

Posted - September 05 2003 :  01:18:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just wanted to share my own Mohican spot, northern Minnesota's arrowhead region. The Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness is the only pristine wilderness I've ever had the privilege to enjoy. I make 3-4 trips a year, staying at various campsites along the Gunflint and Sawbill trails. When you're walking through the Superior Hiking trail and catch a glimpse of Lake Superior through the trees you almost feel as if you need to tread softly to avoid being spotted by a Huron war party. The area is rich with history, the fur trade played a prominent role in the area's development. It is mostly undeveloped, tourism and logging being about the only industry in the area. A couple of spots for history buffs to hit would be Grand Portage National Monument, a fur trading post on Lake Superior and Old Fort William near Thunder Bay, Ontario. Both sites feature actors in period costume. The voyageur tradition is terribly romantic. Also anyone in the area has to stop in Grand Marais and eat a Skizzle from "The World's Best Donut Shop". Anybody else have any thoughts on the area?
report to moderator

Theresa
Bumppo's Tavern Proprietress

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - September 05 2003 :  07:20:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hello, Susquesus! My husband and son took a two week Explorer Scout canoe trek to this area back in July, 1992...(gees, didn't realize it had been that long ago). Does Quitico (sp) sound familiar to you? It was quite an adventure to say the least in that it rained a lot and it was very windy in the first part of their trip and they talk about that alot. They also remember on July 4th seeing a bald eagle. They talked about all the beaver dams, a lot of portages, the markings on the rocks, the beauty of the area...and as tiring as it was, they would do it all again. Thanks for the reminder.

Theresa
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

susquesus

Susquesus
USA

September 03 2003

Posted - September 05 2003 :  12:44:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hey Theresa, no I've never been to Quetico but I've always wanted to get there, it's north of the Canadian border. I usually stay on the Minnesota side of things, the border has become such a hassle since September 11th. It seems in order for things to go smoothly you need either a birth certificate or a passport to get through. That is, unless, you canoe across. Happy someone else has shared the area with me. You should make your family take you there. Even if you don't like canoeing there are plenty of spots for car camping in addition to a variety of log cabins to rent. My parents go there every year staying in a cabin right on Lake Superior in Grand Marais. With a little bit of digging one can make a relatively inexpensive trip of it once you arrive.

Theresa

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - September 05 2003 :  5:36:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
They flew into International Falls and then met their guide, who was Irish, ate, unloaded MOST of the gear they packed, and then set out the next morning. They were impressed that there were no motorized water vehicles allowed and the only communication method was by radio/walkie-talkie. Does Atikoan (sp) ring a bell?

Theresa

susquesus

Susquesus
USA

September 03 2003

Posted - September 06 2003 :  12:08:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hello Theresa, probably Atikokan- a small town north of Quetico you can get there on Ontario's highway 11 by crossing the border at International Falls. I've never been there but it's supposed to be a beautiful small town heavily based on tourism. The more I think of this the more I think I need to just get a passport or dig up a copy of my birth certificate and get over that border. Did your family stay there? It's just north of the Voyageur's Highway, the chain of lakes that the Frenchers, and later the British used to transport their furs from northwestern Canada to the great lakes and eventually to Europe. The French established trade relations with the Canadian tribes and established the routes. Once the British merchants took over the fur trade they continued to exclusively hire French-Canadian voyageurs, or paddle men, to move the goods and deal with the natives. The natives preferred to deal with the French as they felt they were more respectful of their land and customs. Okay, I'll shut up now. I'm just in love with the area and the history, it's like the world of LOTM except it wasn't leveled and turned into NY state, it's still very wild and beautiful. I'd be curious to hear more about Atikokan, though. Take care.

Theresa

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - September 06 2003 :  10:23:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hello Susquesus!

Yes, Atikoan is where my husband and son were. I DEFINITELY need to dig out those photos. As I said, they were there for two weeks in July and it rained quite a bit. In fact, they were told it hadn't rained that much at that time of year in about fifty years. My husband and one of the Explorer Scouts were on the verge of hypothermia at one time. All of the rain occured early on in the trip (thank goodness) and they've joked about it being like a whaling expedition for National Geographic with all the rain, wind, and cold. But, as their adventure was coming to an end, things cleared up and was concluded on an unforgettable note. Okay, I'LL shut up now! Take care.

Theresa

susquesus

Susquesus
USA

September 03 2003

Posted - September 26 2003 :  01:45:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I'm heading back north soon. October 9th-12th I'll be living the good life. A campfire, sleeping bag, stars, a tent if it rains, a couple of Cooper books, more miles of pristine hiking trails than I can handle, bacon and eggs over the fire, canned beer, Minnesota Twins post-season baseball on the AM radio, stars, telescope, timberwolves howling at night, moose walking across the roads, I can't wait. We're gonna hit Lake Kawishiwi off the Sawbill trail, Grand Portage state park, Grand Marais Municipal liquor store, Eagle mountain (highest point in MN), and a lot of Lake Superior. It's nice to be in a place where you can't hear cars, motorboats, or trains and it's so clear at night that you see more satellites passing overhead than airplanes. Gonna try to hit some objects with the telescope-M51, Andromeda galaxy, mars, even the moon. I'm sure as I'm hiking along the Superior Hiking Trail that I'll have the LOTM soundtrack stuck in my head, can't help it, happens every time.

susquesus

Susquesus
USA

September 03 2003

Posted - December 13 2003 :  2:08:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Dreaming of Northern Minnesota, and trying to figure out how to upload a picture into a post. This is the Pigeon River on the Canadian border.

Image Insert:

67.98 KB

There, I think it worked.

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - December 14 2003 :  07:06:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
By jove, I think you done it!!! Beautiful shot! Certainly worth dreaming of!

susquesus

Susquesus
USA

September 03 2003

Posted - July 08 2004 :  7:22:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Howdy folks, I'm fresh back from another trip to the woods. This time we hit Moose Lake SP, Flour Lake, Cascade River SP, Carlton Peak, and Temperance River SP. We had run ins with Chipmunks, Jack-rabbits, a pair of fishing loons, and a male Moose that was an easy 7 feet tall from hoof to horn. We also made the obligatory stop at Grand Marais' "World's Best Donuts", it's no idle boast- they really are the worlds best.
I tried to upload a couple pics but got the following message:

Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a0005'

Invalid procedure call or argument: 'Mid'

/messageboard/outputFile.asp, line 30

Guess I've lost the old picture posting touch.

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - July 08 2004 :  11:02:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well Howdy, Susquesus! That must have been some trek! Been a while.

Welcome home.

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

susquesus

Susquesus
USA

September 03 2003

Posted - July 10 2004 :  01:01:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thankee WW. I finally got my pics to come up:

Image Insert:

42.34 KB

Image Insert:

49 KB

Image Insert:

43.65 KB

I couldn't get a decent shot of the loons and the moose pic is pretty dark, but these are the folks I went camping with.

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - July 10 2004 :  10:36:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Cute! Were you really that close to the bunny and the 'munk... or were those taken with the help of a telephoto lens? Glad you kept your distance from Mr. Moose. I understand they can be very dangerous.

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - July 10 2004 :  4:59:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Wilderness Woman said:Glad you kept your distance from Mr. Moose. I understand they can be very dangerous.

Sarge doing his best Boris Baddenoff imitation: "Yes Natasha, is Moose and Squirrel again!"

Serjeant-Major Duncan Munro
Capt. Thos. Graham's Coy.
42nd Royal Highland Regiment of Foote
(The Black Sheep of the Black Watch)

"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
-Or-
"Recruit locally, fight globally."

susquesus

Susquesus
USA

September 03 2003

Posted - July 10 2004 :  5:27:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Were you really that close to the bunny and the 'munk...(?)

-Wilderness Woman

Sure was, check this out:

Image Insert:

85.79 KB

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - July 10 2004 :  6:29:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
A-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-w-w-w-w............. Now that one really needs a caption!

So..... Susquesus. Do all wild critters come right up to you like that? Shall we call you Dr. Susquesus Doolittle???

susquesus

Susquesus
USA

September 03 2003

Posted - September 24 2004 :  10:58:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Just got back from another week in the BWCAW, spent the week on Lake Kawishiwi. Saw northern lights 2 nights, heard a pack of timberwolves on the other side of the lake one night, almost ran over a 7 foot bull moose another night- fun stuff. Here's a shot of the dusk:

Image Insert:

88.67 KB

and here's dusk in Grand Marais:

Image Insert:

82.35 KB

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - September 25 2004 :  3:32:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Beautiful!

Previous Topic: Docs Tactical 2004 Topic Next Topic: Its snowing!  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.61 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07