The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
7/6/2024 3:22:43 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 COLONIAL TIMES
 The French & Indian War
 New to Group
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: French&Indian war/Seven Years War Films Topic Next Topic: Geography questions  

Oregonjohn
Lost in the Wilderness

In Council
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
August 10 2003

Posted - August 10 2003 :  7:15:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello to all. Greetings from the Oregon Coast from the "City" of Coos Bay. I have been working on putting together a persona for about 3 years as a 1763 PA Militiaman posted at Ft. Bedford, Loudon, Littleton, and Ligonier areas. My "kit" would not stand at a "juried" event (no hand stitching, etc.) but I have been most selective on what I have purchased to make the appearance of a mid-18th century fella. Most out here are into the Mountain Man thing so not too much to compare with but it is fun, fun, and more fun...and as I have told several that inquired, "it is pre-1840...." Have "converted" several others in our mountain man club into the colonial presentation and have met a few others from elsewhere at our big summer rondy that are doin' the colonial thing. Will be reading and watching this site for good info.
Hey, all the best to each of you from Coos Bay, Oregon!
report to moderator

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 10 2003 :  8:03:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well now... I just have to jump right in here and give you a hearty welcome! I am not a re-enactor, but I am a fellow Oregonian! I presently live in New York state, but I haven't forgotten how to pronounce Oregon properly! LOL!

Welcome!

report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Theresa
Bumppo's Tavern Proprietress

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - August 10 2003 :  10:30:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hello John! You're gonna love it here. A few years back a family moved here (Alabama) from Coos Bay and I can't think of their last name. They had two sons, Pete and Tom. I'll have to check with my daughter on the last name as she was quite smitten by them both. Anyway....welcome and glad you're here.

Theresa

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - August 11 2003 :  05:31:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hello, John!! Welcome!

I am - courtesy of my friends here - a brand new reenactor still seeking a personae. Anyway, you'll find plenty to discuss here ... everything from the weather to War in Iraq [not to mention a couple of topics on LOTM & the F&I War!!] ... join in anywhere, anytime!

I hitchhiked through Coos Bay back in 1972 - The coast of Oregon is one of my favorite places. And, some little old lady - probably gone now - with a place near a cornfield in Klatskanie, OR - makes the best pancakes in all the world!

hawkeye
Pioneer

Longhunter With Child
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - August 11 2003 :  07:54:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Welcome John! I've only been reenacting for about 2 years... so, I'm still relatively new at this myself. My persona sets himself in the late 1750's to early 1760's. Was a farmer 'til his family was wiped out by indians and now scouts for militia and generally roams around looking for work to keep himself in food, clothes, and powder. Hope you enjoy yourself here... there's a lot of good people.

Marc

Seamus
Guardian of Heaven's Gate

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - August 11 2003 :  08:28:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well, John........welcome to our little Playworld! Been wondering where you got to.....haven't heard from you in awhile! Good to hear that you are all kitted out and "at it" now, and are actively converting the Mountain Men to our cause. Keep up the good work!

Life's journey is not to
arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting
'...holy sh*t ...what a ride!'

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

~~Aim small, hit the b*****d right between the eyes!~~

Oregonjohn
Lost in the Wilderness

In Council
USA

August 10 2003

Posted - August 13 2003 :  8:01:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Kind Ladies and Gentlemen. I thank you for your words of welcome. Seems like a pretty nice bunch here. I am working on the details of my guy and am working on writing a series of short stories regarding his life. Born in Cullen, Scotland 1710....father lost at sea so mom remarried a guy named Cunningham and they relocated to Portsmouth in the Mass Bay Colony in 1725. Mr. Cunningham was a shipbuilder and a very dominate step-dad. Moved inland to area around Raymond in 1731 where farming became the family trade. My guy left in 1732, went to sea awhile and returned to Portsmouth. Became a hunter/scout in Conn. River Valley area and was shot and left for dead by "ye savages" on two occasions. Married and was widowed in 1737, and married again in 1744. Was a scout out of Fort At No. 4. Migrated south through NY into PA (farming and hunting) over a period of 10-years. Was a civilian scout on Braddock's trek and was injured in a non-combat accident and returned to PA farm in area of Carlisle. Got into home-guard militia in 1759 and served areas around Ligioner, Bedford, Lyttleton, Loudon as a messenger and scout out of those posts (he was gettin' older by those times). Hey, lotsa research to do to try to fill in the gaps with events that were actual or plausable....these are stories, not history...but want the scenario to be history based. Am going to work with the area schools presenting overview of 18th Century History from period 1740-1770...my guy was there for a lot of it and will be speaking from 1770 as a 60-year old guy.....hey, that's me! Been doing my research, takin' notes, re-reading stuff, etc. Want to have as an important part of my presentation, in addition to clothing/equipment, a pretty good hand on history and the personalities of the times.
Should be ready to start writin' early stories of the "guy" by late fall and may never finish, but hell, the journey is way more than half the fun!
All the best from the Peoples Republik of Oregon,
John in Coos Bay

Many Flags
Colonial Settler

USA

August 13 2002

Posted - August 19 2003 :  3:24:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Oregon John...saw your post on REv War List about broadswords, so I talked to my cousin Malcolm. He says to check out Museum Replicas and Atlanta Cutlery....They both make good broadswords, but will have wooden lined leather covered scabbards....the wood lined is wrong, and you'll have to have a new scabbard made to be correct....stay away from the highly ornate...."Scottish Society"" ones.... Good luck. MF

Scott Bubar
Colonial Militia

USA

May 17 2002

Posted - August 19 2003 :  4:15:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I gather we're talking about Scottish broadswords here?

I happen to have some kilted friends who take their broadswords very seriously, and are quite willing to go into four figures and a ways to get a well-made replica, along with a very long wait.

While they're waiting, they regard Cold Steel's offering as a very decent affordable sword in the same price range as the Museum Replicas/Atlanta Cutlery swords (the latter owns the former).

The new CASI "practical" broadswords are also worth a close look.

~~Aim small, miss small.

Many Flags
Colonial Settler

USA

August 13 2002

Posted - August 20 2003 :  06:27:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Malcolm says don't forget that backswords are just as correct as broadswords. He owns both...MF

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 29 2003 :  08:15:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
You are right, Flags. The issuance of the backsword, was simply a matter of economy (since it was cheaper to manufacture). Starting in the 1750's, the new recruits in the 42nd (and later in the 77th & 78th), who did not bring their own swords, were issued the backsword (purchased by their regimental commander, who was reimbursed by the crown). The older soldiers continued to carry the broadsword, as well as those 'gentleman rankers' who brought their own personal/ancestrial blade.

Your Most Humble Servant,

Serjeant-Major Duncan Munro
Capt. Thos. Graham's Coy.
42nd Royal Highland Regiment of Foote
(The Black Sheep of the Black Watch)

"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
-Or-
"Recruit locally, fight globally."
  Previous Topic: French&Indian war/Seven Years War Films Topic Next Topic: Geography questions  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.36 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07