The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
7/3/2024 3:18:44 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 OFF THE BEATEN TRAIL
 Historical Sites!
 Farewell, Old Man...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Old Bedford Village Topic Next Topic: Alexandria,Egypt  

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - July 07 2003 :  1:13:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He has been much honored. He was immortalized by the pens of Nathaniel Hawthorne, Daniel Webster and Henry David Thoreau. He was paid tribute to on New Hampshire state license plates, highway signs, official stationary, and most recently, the state's new quarter. He has received hundreds of thousands of visitors during the past 200 years. He has been drawn, painted and photographed many times over. He has existed for about 25,000 years, give or take a few, yet he never drew a breath. He has been watched over, guarded, repaired with steel pins, and glued back together with epoxy and cement. He was created, but not by human hands. Who is this esteemed person?

He is New Hampshire's Old Man of the Mountain.

Image Insert:

28.78 KB

After several days of rainy, foggy weather in May of 2003, two Franconia Notch State Park employees were the first to look up to the Old Man's time-worn face and realize that... it was gone. And now, the entire state of New Hampshire mourns his loss. For the Old Man fell. Time, weather, erosion... or an Act of God... whatever happened, he is gone.

"Men hang out signs indicative of their respective trades. Shoemakers hang out a gigantic shoe... but up in the Franconia Mountains God Almighty has hung out a Sign to show that in New England, He Makes Men!"

Daniel Webster

Image Insert:

23.85 KB
report to moderator

Scott Bubar
Colonial Militia

USA

May 17 2002

Posted - July 07 2003 :  10:39:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Wilderness Woman ...
"Men hang out signs indicative of their respective trades. Shoemakers hang out a gigantic shoe... but up in the Franconia Mountains God Almighty has hung out a Sign to show that in New England, He Makes Men!"

Daniel Webster ...

Did He have a going-out-of-business sale?

~~Aim small, miss small.
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Lainey
TGAT

USA

May 18 2002

Administrator

Posted - July 08 2003 :  04:38:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply

What is this ... the Devil & Daniel Webster?
Mr. Scott Yangeese is assuring his eternal place in the Courier, I think -

{WW, can't remember which post it was, but ... I agree that John Adams remains a much underrated founding father. He's up there with G Washington in my book. Very VIP for liberty. Unlike that hateful Sam Adams ... Eeeeiiik!}

"Fides et Ratio"

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - July 08 2003 :  08:44:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Acchhhh!! Mr. Yangeese, you are so... soooooo... irreverant (but funny)!! I think perhaps we shall have to send Magua and a Huron war party after you.

How we got from the Old Man on the Mountain... to the Devil and Mr. Yangeese.... hmmmmm.....

(Lainey, glad you share my admiration of John Adams. As for ol' Sam... hmmmmm. I'm not sure I would consider him hateful. He was definitely zealous, and was arguably the main driving force behind the whole Revolution.)

Well, back to the Old Man and those who are mourning his sad demise...

Lainey
TGAT

USA

May 18 2002

Administrator

Posted - July 08 2003 :  10:46:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
(Lainey, glad you share my admiration of John Adams. As for ol' Sam... hmmmmm. I'm not sure I would consider him hateful. He was definitely zealous, and was arguably the main driving force behind the whole Revolution.)

Oh, he was certainly effective & I doubt the Revolution could have/would have ignited without him. He was a rabble-rouser extraordinaire. Still ..... eeeeeiiiik.

"Fides et Ratio"

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - July 08 2003 :  1:38:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
You just said it, Lainey ... he was a needed component at just the right time.

Gotta admire his gusto!

Speaking of ... he's also got a damn good beer named after him!!!

Very sorry 'bout the Old Man, though. At least we've still got Grandfather down here in NC.

securemann
Deerslayer

offer of peace
USA

July 08 2002

Posted - July 08 2003 :  3:50:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hey,if he needs a nose,we have Vromans nose in Schoharie County,lol.Anybody ever hear of that famous mountain where my ancestors roamed?

Seamus
Guardian of Heaven's Gate

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - July 08 2003 :  4:35:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well, now, Rich, I must take exception to your comment about ol' Sam's beer.........personally, I think it is bitter, and Yuengling's makes a MUCH better Black and Tan or Lager than Sam Adams. I have quaffed enough of each to have a p-r-e-t-t-y good idea which is best! Uncle Quasi and I had a taste-off one night, and the consensus was that Adams couldn't hold a candle to Dick Yuengling's brew. Uncle Q said it reminded him of the time he lost a sock in the well and it was days before the water was palatable again.

Oh......yes.....Yuengling's, of Pottsville, PA.......the oldest brewery in the US........top quality suds!! Gonna go do a repeat test just to be sure.......

Life's journey is not to
arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting
'...holy sh*t ...what a ride!'

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

~~Aim small, hit the b*****d right between the eyes!~~

Theresa
Bumppo's Tavern Proprietress

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - July 08 2003 :  4:47:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hey Seamus!

Got a couple of those Yuenglings left over from the 4th. Be back in a minute.....

Theresa

Gadget Girl
Gatherer of Gathering Gadgets

Winking Lady
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - July 08 2003 :  5:04:17 PM  Show Profile  Send Gadget Girl an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Theresa, if there are any of those Younglings, I mean Linglings,...I mean those oh....you know - left over at my house...WAIT!! THERE ARE NEVER ANY LEFT OVER! Yes, indeed - fine suds to be sure!

GG

Christina
Deerslayer

Vampire
USA

May 27 2002

Posted - July 08 2003 :  5:29:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christina's Homepage  Send Christina an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Must admit a huge admiration for the Yuengling brand of beer as well as Mr. Adams' and...well, must admit a huge admiration for just about ANY decent brew!!! Can anybody send some down my way?

Sorry to hear about that Old Man, though. Erosion is a dirty thing. No pun intended...yep, Rich, we still have the Grandfather, though. Hopefully some of us will be seeing him this weekend at the Highland Games...

See this face? This is the face of a woman on the edge.
Whoopi Goldberg, "Jumping Jack Flash"

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - July 08 2003 :  6:46:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Never tried that, Seamus, but it's on my list now. How about St. Paulie Girl?

caitlin
Bumppos Tavern Patron

MMBrand
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - July 08 2003 :  8:00:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit caitlin's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by richfed

Never tried that, Seamus, but it's on my list now. How about St. Paulie Girl?

I recommend:
Dortmunder Actien Brau
Pilsner Urquell
Hacker Pschorr Weisse
and of course, Guinness....

Jack McCall: "Should we shake hands or something, relieve the atmosphere. I mean how stupid do you think I am?"
Wild Bill Hickok: "I don't know, I just met you."

"A nation with no regard to it's past will have little future worth remembering."
A.Lincoln

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize that they were the big things"

Scott Bubar
Colonial Militia

USA

May 17 2002

Posted - July 08 2003 :  8:53:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Perhaps I should point out that my question was directed only toward the local franchise. I'm sure the overall enterprise is running just as it should.

But if I were a New Hampshire male, I might be a bit worried.

As for the infernal attribution, my significant other is in total agreement.

~~Aim small, miss small.

Scott Bubar
Colonial Militia

USA

May 17 2002

Posted - July 08 2003 :  8:58:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Wilderness Woman

Acchhhh!! Mr. Yangeese, you are so... soooooo... irreverant (but funny)!! I think perhaps we shall have to send Magua and a Huron war party after you.

Magua and I are closer than you might think.

~~Aim small, miss small.

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - July 08 2003 :  9:01:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by securemann

Hey,if he needs a nose,we have Vromans nose in Schoharie County,lol.Anybody ever hear of that famous mountain where my ancestors roamed?

Yes!! I have!!

Haven't climbed it yet, but some of my ancestors lived practically in its shadow back in about 1712-1720 or so! They were Palatines who attempted to stake a claim in the Schoharie Valley but the Dutch (your ancestors perhaps, Brother Jim?) chased them out and they moved up to the Mohawk Valley.

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - July 08 2003 :  9:17:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hey!! Wait just a goll-durned minute here!!

This was supposed to be a very serious, sad, respectful thread about the End of an Icon and an Era!! This is history in the making here, folks! These poor people up in New Hamshire are in mourning and are suffering.

After all, they are even thinking very seriously of artifically rebuilding the poor old Man. They couldn't have him stuffed, so plastic rocks may be the only alternative. Someone even wants to "resurrect" the man (long since dead) who carved Mt. Rushmore to do the job!! I mean... come on! This is serious business here! How can you possibly think of things like... Bodacious Brewed Beverages... at a time like this?

...Eh? Oh. Er... yes, actually, I would love a nice cold glass of Guinness...

Ahhhhh... I can taste it now....

Seamus
Guardian of Heaven's Gate

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - July 08 2003 :  9:25:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I do believe I feel the possibility.........a very distinct possibility.........of a beer fest.........

Life's journey is not to
arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting
'...holy sh*t ...what a ride!'

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

~~Aim small, hit the b*****d right between the eyes!~~

caitlin
Bumppos Tavern Patron

MMBrand
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - July 09 2003 :  11:43:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit caitlin's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Seamus

I do believe I feel the possibility.........a very distinct possibility.........of a beer fest.........

A beer tasting after a long hard day of Gathering events... sounds good!

Seriously though, I lived in New Hampshire for a couple of years and always meant to go see the Old Man, but never made it there. I'm sorry I missed the opportunity.

Jack McCall: "Should we shake hands or something, relieve the atmosphere. I mean how stupid do you think I am?"
Wild Bill Hickok: "I don't know, I just met you."

"A nation with no regard to it's past will have little future worth remembering."
A.Lincoln

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize that they were the big things"

securemann
Deerslayer

offer of peace
USA

July 08 2002

Posted - July 09 2003 :  4:58:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I guess I'm a Palatine too W.W. There's some Dutch thrown in also.I love the Schoharie Valley.There were some wild times there between the Indians,Palatines and the Dutch.All are kin-folk to me.I was planning on going to the top to find my GrandFathers initials carved in the stone.The top of Vromans Nose is flat and they used to square dance up there about 135 years ago.The way I'm feeling,I'm gonna need a helicopter to get me up and bring me down.
  Previous Topic: Old Bedford Village Topic Next Topic: Alexandria,Egypt  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.47 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07