The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/10/2024 4:24:38 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 A Breed Apart and Make No Sense
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic: Animal in LOTM Topic Next Topic: Language buffs! Untranslated dialog Magua+Sachem
Page: of 3

daire
Colonial Settler

USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
November 17 2002

Posted - January 31 2003 :  7:37:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I don't think that Chingachgook would put down the opposite sex. Native tribes respected their women and were matriarchal societies. I voted for "white man" because I think Nathaniel was referring to the Brit's culture in general AND their/Cora's ignorance of the where she was and who lived there (and being a spoiled brat. LOL) If she'd been in Albany for "days and days", perhaps there would have been talk about the colonials and why they lived on the frontier. And Cora seemed intelligent enough that she might ask questions about them before being ambushed and stuck in the wilderness with 3 Mohican warriors. hehehe JMO

daire

Phil
Pathfinder

USA

July 10 2002

Posted - February 02 2003 :  9:35:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Phil's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi,

Glad to see that this topic isn't dead. You will never convince me that Hawkeye did not mean WOMEN. You can quote the book all you want, but this is the MOVIE. Remember this was filmed in 91 and I am SURE that this is the correct meaning.

Well now that I have probably gotten everyone back up in arms, I hope that we can continue discussing this at the next gathering, which my wife will drag me to.

Phil
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - February 03 2003 :  04:43:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Ever imagine your innocent remark back on the trail at the Gathering would still be a topic of conversation?!?

Somehow, the picture of little ole Karen dragging you, Phil, is hard to picture!

See you in June!

Theresa
Bumppo's Tavern Proprietress

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - February 03 2003 :  07:16:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hey Phil and Karen,

So glad to hear you're coming back kicking and screaming all the way!! I never thought that when I posted this poll question that it would take on such a life of its own. Good to know folks are still thinking about it and with all the different angles and perspectives, now I'm not even sure what he meant.

Theresa

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - February 03 2003 :  12:27:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Bubar

...it would seem out of character for Chingachgook to impose such a black & white judgment on an entire sex--or race, for that matter. I think he was warning his son about a particular personality type that would work out to something like:

"Romantic idealist do-gooders seeking to impose their value judgments on others"

My two-cents worth: I think Scott pretty much hit the nail on the head. So did Ranger of the North Woods. I placed my vote for "White Men"... but I qualify that to be "any person who fits the above description."

Theresa

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - March 09 2003 :  12:09:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
ARGH!! It has suddenly become very clear! Hawkeye was obviously referring to the French!

Theresa

Phil
Pathfinder

USA

July 10 2002

Posted - March 13 2003 :  12:12:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Phil's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hey Theresa,

I agree with you as long as the French he was refering to meant French Women.

Phil

To be continued in person in June (so watch out).

Lurking Huron5898
Anonymous Guest

November 27 2002

Posted - March 13 2003 :  03:07:01 AM  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well how about when Col.Webb stated that "The French have no stomach for war,they'd rather eat and make love with their faces"What do you suppose he meant by that?

Theresa

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - March 13 2003 :  07:13:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Phil

Hey Theresa,

I agree with you as long as the French he was refering to meant French Women.

Phil

To be continued in person in June (so watch out).

PHIL!!
Hey and where ya been?

Theresa

Fitz Williams
Colonial Militia

USA

May 19 2002

Posted - April 13 2003 :  11:53:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I was watching the DVD version today, and when they got to the part in the burial ground, Hawkeye says " My father warned me about people like you." and then it cuts to the Indians and the milice. Did the drop the "breed apart" statement? Or did I have to many Sam Adams'?

By the way, Sam Adams Spring Ale is out and it is great!

Diane B.
Colonial Militia

Dream Catcher 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - April 14 2003 :  09:18:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi, Fitz,

The DVD version does indeed omit the "breed apart" conversation, and part of the exchange between Hawkeye and Cora "under the falls," and a few other lines along the way. When the DVD came out with a description of "expanded director's version," I knew that it included some added footage, but I never dreamed that some lines/scenes would be cut! A lot of folks here on the Board have expressed a desire for Michael Mann to release one more version but this one would include all of the original footage and the added footage, as well. Not very likely to happen, but we can always dream...

Rattlesnake Woman

"The earth does not belong to us; we belong to the earth." - Chief Seattle

Fitz Williams
Colonial Militia

USA

May 19 2002

Posted - April 18 2003 :  10:03:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
It looks like most of what was cut were comments by Hawkeye. Was this an attempt to "clean up" the Hawkeye character? Was DDL involved in any way?

caitlin
Bumppos Tavern Patron

MMBrand
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - April 18 2003 :  7:53:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit caitlin's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Fitz Williams

It looks like most of what was cut were comments by Hawkeye. Was this an attempt to "clean up" the Hawkeye character? Was DDL involved in any way?

To me, those lines made his character more endearing to me and the love story more powerful.
(though the breechclouts didn't hurt either... now, what was I talking about?

Is it likely that those lines were very hollywood and that's why Mann chose to cut them out?

Jack McCall: "Should we shake hands or something, relieve the atmosphere. I mean how stupid do you think I am?"
Wild Bill Hickok: "I don't know, I just met you."

"A nation with no regard to it's past will have little future worth remembering."
A.Lincoln

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize that they were the big things"

Scott Bubar
Colonial Militia

USA

May 17 2002

Posted - April 19 2003 :  08:29:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I think Mann may have removed it because the line doesn't really make much sense in the context.

As Lainey pointed out, it makes sense in terms of the book because Cora is mulatto--a half-breed. This was an issue for Cooper. He was careful to keep the races apart. Hawkeye was clearly white in the book in spite of his upbringing, and less "Indianized" than DDL. Cora's having been marked by the tarbrush prevented any romantic entanglement between them, so his virtue was safe.

Uncas and Alice paid the price of their attraction by being killed off before anything serious could develop.

Audiences at the time simply wouldn't have tolerated it.

In that context "breed apart" would refer to the halfbreed who in Cooper's world is understood by neither of the cultures and who fit in nowhere.

But none of this applies to the movie. There is no mention of Cora being mulatto, and today's audience more or less accepts interracial love.

So the line was "a line apart and makes no sense".

~~Aim small, miss small.

chasis_22
Colonial Settler

Mohican Brothers
USA

April 19 2003

Posted - May 06 2003 :  4:51:48 PM  Show Profile  Send chasis_22 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Ok I have put off responding to this topic long enough! I don't recall what I voted but her is my opinion. I believe that he is referring to the white man. Even though Hawkeye himself is white he sees himself as an Indian. I am sure he knows he is not a true Indian but he was raised by Chingachgook and has been taught the ways of the Indians. Besides...Cora wasn't the only one who threw a fit about burying Cameron's family.....I believe Duncan said something about it too. Although Cora did make a bigger fuss over it!

ConfusedOne
Pathfinder

Uncas2
USA

May 18 2003

Posted - June 04 2003 :  02:07:38 AM  Show Profile  Send ConfusedOne an AOL message  Send ConfusedOne a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Not to offend anyone but...I put "the white men". (By the way...when i say "white people", i am referring to the British/English armies, not the colonial people.) Back then, the white people were soooo ignorant and sometimes selfish. I don't see how they survived in the wilderness and war. They seemed like stupid...umm...stupid PEOPLE!!! So ignorant and stupid that i don't have words to describe them. Stupid people that took over the land they didn't even know anything about and abused it. The British also had no feelings at all for the colonial people and Indians. They were just using them to get more people on there side. Especially Munro.

Wow...ok...i really got into that one. -later

Cherokee Nation. Cherokee Tribe.
So proud to live. So proud to die.

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - June 04 2003 :  06:01:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Whoa, ConfusedOne ... it was a clash of cultures. Intelligence had nothing to do with it. Both sides looked at the other with some disdain for lack of understanding. Don't repeat history's mistakes!

Lurking Huron8569
Anonymous Guest

November 27 2002

Posted - June 04 2003 :  11:44:34 AM  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Bravo, richfed. You are so right.

Scott Bubar
Colonial Militia

USA

May 17 2002

Posted - June 04 2003 :  6:52:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I'd also like to point out that, far from merely surviving the war, the British won it, hands down.

And in doing so, they demonstrated a great deal of adaptability and flexibility. They developed the light infantry concept here on the North American front, utilized rangers and, of course, judiciously employed those highlanders.

As far as "taking over the land", it was the colonials (who of course were British at the time, though perhaps of an inferior sort who were pushing this--in particularly the speculators, and it was the English who were attempting to keep it in check.

~~Aim small, miss small.

ConfusedOne
Pathfinder

Uncas2
USA

May 18 2003

Posted - June 09 2003 :  02:38:19 AM  Show Profile  Send ConfusedOne an AOL message  Send ConfusedOne a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Sorry....you guys are right. i was just mad at all the people who mistreat Indians (and colonials) without a cause. (i just saw "Dances w/ Wolves" before i posted this.) When i looked back at my post...i seem really racist...that's not me. sorry i got worked up over nothing.

This is ever so embarrassing!!!

ConfusedOne
Pathfinder

Uncas2
USA

May 18 2003

Posted - June 10 2003 :  10:59:02 PM  Show Profile  Send ConfusedOne an AOL message  Send ConfusedOne a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Scott...

quote:
I'd also like to point out that, far from merely surviving the war, the British won it, hands down.

Yeah...they won alright. But was this history changing victory won fairly? Remember when the colonial and Mohawk/Mohican homes were attacked by an ottawa war party? Did Munro let them tend to their homes right after Web promised that they could if their homes were attacked? I didn't think so. The British made agreements with the colonials and the Indians and broke them. Wouldn't you say that because of that, they got more men and control? You think that's moral? I think that is totally WHACK!

ALSO....

quote:
As far as "taking over the land", it was the colonials (who of course were British at the time, though perhaps of an inferior sort <http://www.mohicanpress.com/messageboard/images/icon_smile_wink.gif> who were pushing this--in particularly the speculators, and it was the English who were attempting to keep it in check.

Yeah...you're right about the colonials being British too, but did you ever think of the reasons why the colonials immagrated to "the New World"? My history book, teachers, historians, and I think that some of the reasons that they moved here was for religious freedom, freedom in general, and to rid themselves of British and English rule.

Fitz Williams
Colonial Militia

USA

May 19 2002

Posted - June 11 2003 :  12:09:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
But was this history changing victory won fairly?

War's not fair.

ConfusedOne
Pathfinder

Uncas2
USA

May 18 2003

Posted - June 11 2003 :  8:38:26 PM  Show Profile  Send ConfusedOne an AOL message  Send ConfusedOne a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Fitz Williams

quote:
But was this history changing victory won fairly?

War's not fair.

Yeah...i have to agree with you on that. I was wonderin' why i put that in there.

Oh...rich and scott... when i said that the British and English were "stupid people", i didn't really mean "not intellegent".....I meant....well...It's too hard to explain, plus there might be more than one explanation.

Miss Munro
Pathfinder

Sweden

May 04 2004

Posted - May 07 2004 :  06:58:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Miss Munro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Interesting point Theresa!I newer thought about it before...
I think he ment ritch city folks...
Hawkeye Cora

"Do you love me? Or you're not the loving kind?"

Theresa

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - May 07 2004 :  7:16:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Miss Munro

Interesting point Theresa!I newer thought about it before...
I think he ment ritch city folks...
Hawkeye Cora

Phil opened this can of worms at the 2002 Gathering and I'm not sure a concensus has ever been met.

Theresa
Page: of 3 Previous Topic: Animal in LOTM Topic Next Topic: Language buffs! Untranslated dialog Magua+Sachem  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.53 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07