Against All Odds Message Board
Against All Odds Message Board
5/4/2024 10:44:23 AM
Home | Old Board Archives | Events | Polls
Photo Album | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages | Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Chat
Bookmarks | Active Topics
Invite A Friend To Face The Odds!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Battle of the Little Bighorn - 1876
 Custer's Last Stand
 Why Did Wallace Lie?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic: John Martin, of times, places and events. Topic Next Topic: Battlefield Surround, Custers Fight Opens
Page: of 10

Benteen
Lt. Colonel

Posted - October 16 2009 :  3:05:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well DC he did say: “Benteen you need to spit out what you think….” And I told him. If you disagree with that then so be it.

As for the “class room” remark. I care not the spelling or punctuation of the people who post, and you will note that I did say: “ And by the way, did your friend also tell you that you spelling is lousy too?” This should have told anyone within earshot of that statement that it would have been, should have been “his friend” who would have corrected his grammer and punctuation, and not me. Of which his own statement proves: “This is not a class room with you as head instructor giving us poor students pop quizzes.” No, but it evidently is when he admires someone so much that he takes their word as proof of facts that even he cannot substantiate. And this along with your own statement proves what? “AZ knows horses, law, guns, the military, and combat from experience.” That everyone should bow before the great and humble head school Marm AZ? I think on my own, what is mine is mine; I hold no one in esteem, nor do I try to find fault with their “character” to assassinate it as you and AZ continuously try to do. And what is the “fine” result of that? If you assassinate someone, it does what? It proves you right, because you did it? The intent is the same, whether it is “Character” or otherwise. When you pull that trigger, the bullet flies, and just because you think you are right, it doesn’t mean that you are: And the one who should know this better than anyone else on this board is who?

Just because I refused to cooperate and “tell all” that I knew. To go further and examine the rest of the trip in detail, he resorts to this assassination technique. And your efforts are what DC? What are you doing now, that Ranger didn’t do? A 2nd gunman perhaps?

Edited by - Benteen on October 16 2009 3:06:16 PM
Go to Bottom of PageGo to Top of Page

AZ Ranger
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - October 17 2009 :  10:19:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And by the way, did your friend also tell you that you spelling is lousy too? In your post to Joe: "Reno to attempt to clear there name." The word "there" is used to refer to a point reached in an activity or process. The correct word should have been; "their" which means: belonging to or relating to a particular group of people or things.

Got a C in English and freely admit my grammar, spelling and punctuation sucks. I have stated that before. Also type slowly. At least the "there" is spelled correctly unlike how you put an e in Thompson misspelling his name. I was not trying to correct your spelling with my comment only pointing out that Boston on another board spelled Thompsen the same way you misspelled it. Also that Boston tried to lecture Fred as a school teacher would and Fred let him have it. The style of asking multiple questions and not taking a position is similar also. There is nothing wrong with having different names on different boards. I just see sufficient characteristics to believe you and Boston are the same. You should see similar characteristics with Benteeneast and AZ Ranger.

My problem with Joe is he has multiple personalities with different names and sexes much different than one person using only one name per board.

I try to use a spell check and then reread my posts since spell check guesses at what it thinks the word that I am trying to spell. Sometimes I am out the door to work without checking. Your wasting bandwidth to explain the difference between there and their but you can't help yourself. It is my opinion that you fancy yourself a teacher and the knower of truth. I find your logic and conclusions sometimes faulty whether I spell or punctuate correctly.

I don't tolerate calling dead people liars without proof which is what Joe started his thread on Wallace. "Why did Wallace Lie?"

AZ Ranger

“ An officer's first duty is to his horses.”

SEMPER FI

Edited by - AZ Ranger on October 17 2009 10:35:28 AM

AZ Ranger
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - October 17 2009 :  10:52:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benteen

Ranger don’t you catechize me for something you did: Your posted it this way Ranger; your post on 9:24:27 PM, October 12 2009 is the exact post I am referring to.

And here sir is it in full so that you do not try to edit it after the fact. It is for your information is the 3rd paragraph.

quote:
Here are Reno's times from his report:

"We then made coffee and rested for three hours, at the expiration of which time the march was resumed, the divide crossed, and about 8 a.m. the command was in the valley of one of the branches of the Little Big Horn."

They had to be halted to make coffee and that is clearly before crossing the divide. DC was correct about the halts and calling them halts. That was my terms to get us talking about the same thing. I doubt they had a daily halt number assigned to a particular halt.

"I saw Benteen moving farther to the left, and, as they passed, he told me he had orders to move well to the left, and sweep everything before him. I did not see him again until about 2.30 p.m."

Reno has Benteen arriving 6.5 hours later on Reno Hill.

"As we approached a deserted village, and in which was standing one tepee, about 11 a.m., Custer motioned me to cross to him, which I did, and moved nearer to his column until about 12.30 a.m. [p.m. ?] when Lieutenant Cook, adjutant, came to me and said the village was only two miles above, and running away; to move forward at as rapid a gait as prudent, and to charge afterward, and that the whole outfit would support me. I think those were his exact words. I at once took a fast trot, and moved down about two miles, when I came to a ford of the river. I crossed immediately, and halted about ten minutes or less to gather the battalion, sending word to Custer that I had everything in front of me, and that they were strong."

Now Reno has himself crossing the LBH starting at 12:30 and going 2 miles at a trot. If one uses 7 mph (middle of the 6-8 range) it would take 17 minutes. That would put him in the the LBH from 12:47 to just before 2:30 PM for a total of approximately 1.5 hours. That's a long time for no support from Custer or any other part of the regiment.

The bottom line is that you would have to believe it took 4.5 hours to move to within 2 miles of the LBH after crossing the divide. You would have to believe that for 2 hours Reno was on his own before meeting up with Benteen at 2:30 PM. That Custer did not cross the river to support Reno and was where from 12:30 to 2:30?

The easy thing is to believe that Reno was guessing at times and qualified his guesses with the word about. I don't imagine Reno looking at his watch much. I don't think he lied he was just not accurate.

I think without checking that if they were 3/4 of a mile across the divide and stopped 3 hours or more before crossing the moving speed is faster in Davis Creek in the dark.

Using Reno's 8 AM time

Bivouac to divide 11.5 miles (5 hours of halt time) moving 3 hours 3.83 mph in the dark

divide to 2 miles before LBH for at total of 10 miles in 4.5 hours 2.22 mph down Reno Creek

I think that none of these persons lied but some had better recall. Reno never states he used watch time in his report and his abouts were the his best estimate would be my guess.

Hare in a Camp interview also supports Wallace with times close to noon than 8 AM.

AZ Ranger

Your statements above were the one’s I directly copied and used. And you obfuscate sir this entire episode and try to cloud everything by stating it different, when you yourself KNEW THAT DIFFERENCE at the time you posted it on the 12th; and when you again posted it different from your original. In the first post you did not question this; Why? Why not then, and why now? And all of a sudden when your "friend" reminds you of his own stupid, clumsy irresponsible statment, only then do you do this: And I sir will decline to answer; nor to ask any more of you, till I cool off over this. This is reprehensible, unforgivable and nuts in the extreme. I do not care to know your friend, but my advice would be to dump him and quickly before he gets you into more trouble here. His advice in this case sir cost you your own credibility. And if he so desires tell him to come here and debate me himself and not send a poltroon like you to do it for him.

And by the way, did your friend also tell you that you spelling is lousy too? In your post to Joe: "Reno to attempt to clear there name." The word "there" is used to refer to a point reached in an activity or process. The correct word should have been; "their" which means: belonging to or relating to a particular group of people or things.

"Joe your red statement applies to all court of inquiries" Really, are you absolutely sure of this. I suggest you look for other Inquiries for proof of this. Tread carefully here, very carefully, because that statement is NOT true.

Benteen your logic and conclusions again escapes me. I posted times from Reno's report not his whole report. You then take my partial post of Reno's times from my post to ask your questions.

"Exactly when and WHERE did Reno state this happened? How far from the LBH? Was this at the Camp? At the First halt 2 miles past the divide? The 2nd halt that occurred some 4 to 5 miles farther than the first? Or near the tepee about 3/4ths of a mile from Ford “A”?

Since your questions are different than times that I was using for Reno's times then more of Reno's report becomes important. In this case it is the next sentence in the same paragraph. I can't help it if you did not use Reno's full report before asking questions.

By the way my spell check thinks you misspelled statement above. Hopefully this is the end of English lessons.

AZ Ranger

SEMPER FI

Edited by - AZ Ranger on October 17 2009 10:57:40 AM

AZ Ranger
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - October 17 2009 :  11:05:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Ranger, trying to Impugn the character of Joe by equating me or anyone else is defamatory and adds nothing of significance to this or any other conversation. Keep your personal insults to yourself.

I find this statement quite odd. Whom do think is getting defamed you or Joe?

SEMPER FI

Edited by - AZ Ranger on October 17 2009 11:07:16 AM

joe wiggs
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - October 18 2009 :  5:55:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poor Wallace, the poor chap suffered several physical infirmities despite his young age. When observing the number of Reno's battalion, he was blind, when asked about the volley firing coming from Custer's battlefield he became deaf. In the retreat from Weir's Point, he testified at the Reno Inquiry that (Graham, Reno Court, 54)the men of Company "returned to Reno Hill at a walk." A memory lapse?

One would think that the men had just completed a leisurely repast and were simply walking off a splendid meal.

The reality of the situation was quite different, it was virtually a repeat of how the same men left the timber and, the way the order to leave was communicated. Again, no trumpet calls were made, just hearsay and the sudden departure of men.

Were it not for Godfrey who used his troop to lay down a consistent and persistent fire, warriors who were hotly pursuing the fleeing troops would have overwhelmed Reno's command too.

Again, why describe the helter-skelter movement of flight as a "walk" if not to preserve the dignity of the Army and, particularly, the 7th.

AZ Ranger
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - October 19 2009 :  10:44:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ranger, if you have to ask the question, which was supercilious in the extreme: Whom do you think you defamed?

No one, that is why I asked. Sounding like someone to someone else is not defamatory. Defamation has to be untrue.

AZ Ranger

SEMPER FI

Edited by - AZ Ranger on October 19 2009 10:46:04 AM

AZ Ranger
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - October 19 2009 :  12:23:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benteen

Ranger, if you have to ask the question, which was supercilious in the extreme: Whom do you think you defamed?

quote:
"You state it impossible for the times and distances that was recorded by Benteen, Reno and Girard: Yet how can one believe your “one” manso you want everyone to believe that there is only one man that differs from 8 AM and that there are none that state maybe 10 or 11? who did get the time wrong when he did look at his watch; and as an official watch keeper he said that he never looked at it again: And not believe 3 who got everything right? "

So Benteen show us where I made statements about Benteen and Girard times on this thread. If they are not here why did you make such false statements?

quote:
Benteen states below in bold that it is that I stated it impossible for the times. I say he is making a false representation of any posts that I have made in this thread. My point is that Reno's times are to slow down Reno Creek. That is not impossible it is improbable. If Reno had the speeds down Reno Creek at 30 mph that would be impossible. Benteen lies when he says I stated anything about Benteen and Girard in this thread. My only comments have been to Reno's report.

That is what I base my opinion and my conclusion that 4.5 hours is to slow.

quote:
I would not use Reno's times because he had no reason to record them when they occurred and certainly had numerous events that would distort his sense of time. I am sure he would think his time in the valley was an eternity.

Still my opinion

This does not mean anyone lies but it does not mean that just because someone puts 8:00 AM in a report that it is accurate.

True

quote:
The easy thing is to believe that Reno was guessing at times and qualified his guesses with the word about. I don't imagine Reno looking at his watch much. I don't think he lied he was just not accurate.

If someone would have pointed this out to him his start and end time down Reno Creek then he could have clarified it.

quote:
Officers make mistakes Joe and some commit offenses. The starting point should innocent until proved guilty.

So do agree stating "Why did Wallace Lie?" doesn't fit the idea of innocent till proved guilty

quote:
What you would need to prove pressure is the original times and the changed times don't you think?

error does not equal lie

quote:
Benteen you can't be serious that the divide was crossed at 8 am based on Reno's report. In that report be states he also crosses over to Custer's side of Reno Creek at 12:30 which is where Joe started this thread regarding Wallace.

You really think it took 4.5 hours to move down Reno Creek? That's less than 3 miles per hour. There are lots of errors which are not intentional false statements. When something doesn't fit then it must be looked at for error. I reject the idea that Custer moved down Reno Creek at less than 3 mph.

Stand by this also

quote:
Benteen states below in bold that it is that I stated it impossible for the times. I say he is making a false representation of any posts that I have made in this thread. My point is that Reno's times are to slow down Reno Creek. That is not impossible it is improbable. If Reno had the speeds down Reno Creek at 30 mph that would be impossible. Benteen lies when he says I stated anything about Benteen and Girard in this thread. My only comments have been to Reno's report.

t

quote:
So you can't show it. I posted Reno's report and pointed out the slow move down Reno Creek. Benteen could not possibly have given the time that Reno crossed over to Custer other than reading it somewhere. He wasn't there.

quote:
Now for your completely irrelevant 5 mile discrepancy between Gray and anyone you chose please give us the miles from the divide and the Little Big Horn river.

quote:
Joe you don't get it . Wallace made no calculations he stated he could not give and accurate count. Joe that is not a calculation it is a guess or opinion.

Joe was trying to prove that Wallace lied by underestimating Reno's battalion troop strength. I stand by my comment.

So far Ranger you have dismissed Reno’s Report as not believable; I question Reno's 8 AM crossing the divide and his 12:30 crossing Reno Creek to meet with Custer for orders I believe there is error because of the length of time appears to slow (4.5) rejected Benteen’s statements in his own letter of the 4th I have made no comment about Benteen's private letter and certainly have not stated he lied in that letter and classified his statements by direct comment as a Liethis is your own fabrication; and characterized Girard’s camp to divide mileage as “irrelevant" Yes because it is irrelevant to the times and timing from the Divide down Reno Creek to the location where Reno crossed over to Custer, if anything it would be evidence that it took longer(5 miles) to cross the divide. That would tend to favor a latter divide crossing. I find it no help and irrelevant to what was the actual time of crossing the divide. . You state that it was not impossible and characterized it instead as “improbable”. Yet by the very dictionary definition “impossible” is: “not believable: ridiculous or unreasonable, because it could not be true. “ This Ranger is exactly what you said by direct references in everything you stated. Since "impossible" is your word why didn't you look up my word. Again your logic to use your own word 'impossible" when I provided my choice of improbable and draw your conclusion escapes me. I look there being many alternatives all possible but seem less likely or improbable. If you want to believe it took 4.5 hours or even 3.5 hour to move down Reno Creek you entitled to your opinion. I believe it was more likely 2 hours or less. You kept on pounding that down my throat as some School Marm on a mission of mercy upon a poor misguided child. You never “ONCE” - ever by implication or direct statement ever state this: That what I had to offer was “difficult to believe, because it was not likely to happen or to be true”, So what do think it meant when I used improbable instead of impossible. Not probable; unlikely to be true; not to be expected under the circumstances or in the usual course of events; as, an improbable story or event. ... which in and of itself means that one gives thoughtful consideration to the others arguments and demonstrates the same in their posts. And when I refuse to pursue the matter any further; saying in effect to each his own, you sir, you were and are the one who resorted to the “assassination of my character”. If I am to be assassinated, ie. Killed by your tactics, ie shut the “F…” up, because my ideas and idealism is not to be believed because they are impossible,again you use the word impossible and clarified my position was not impossible but improbable which you quoted. Not probable; unlikely to be true; not to be expected under the circumstances or in the usual course of events; as, an improbable story or event. ... and “not believable: ridiculous or unreasonable, because it could not be true”, then my worth here is of little value and you pull the trigger. You sir are a poltroon by the very definition of its meaning. When you cannot find a legitimate argument, you run around the corner and find someone to back you up, like some child who hides behind their mothers skirt when frightened.

Sometimes, just sometimes Ranger, when the truth stares one in the face, and you pull the trigger in haste, the one you kill may have been innocent of the charge you as judge, jury and executioner decided to off. By your own statements you sir are a charlatan who endangers the innocent:

“Officers make mistakes Joe and some commit offenses. The starting point should innocent until proved guilty.” And just ordinary people Ranger? Where do I, Joe, DC, or anyone else who is NOT an officer stand in this argument?

I would hope you believe innocent until proved guilty. I would hope we could discuss errors without having the person who may have made an error being called a liar without proof.

You told me this: “What you would need to prove pressure is the original times and the changed times don't you think?” And when I did, and I did it convincingly so, you did what Ranger; just what did you do when I stopped after I had proven beyond any shadow of doubt that - that ONE segment between the Camp and the First Halt was irrefutably the way that Reno, Benteen and Girard said it was; you did what?

1] “I would not use Reno's times…”:
2] “The easy thing is to believe that Reno was guessing at times…”:
3] “Benteen you can't be serious that the divide was crossed at 8 am based on Reno's report.”:
4] “I reject the idea that Custer moved down Reno Creek at less than 3 mph.”:
5] “Benteen could not possibly have given the time that Reno crossed over to Custer other than reading it somewhere. He wasn't there.”:
6] “Now for your completely irrelevant 5 mile discrepancy between Gray and anyone you chose…”:
7] “My only comments have been to Reno's report.”

WHO is lying here Ranger, me or you? Since you asked me to choose I chose you I use your evidence provided in the 7 quotes of mine to show it is clear that I am addressing the divide to Custer calling Reno over. Number 6 states that clearly what I think. Your comments throughout were to defame and “reject” as “irrelevant” Benteen’s, Reno’s and Girard’s statements in TOTAL. Wrong and your statements are false And when you could not cast aspersions upon their characters, you did it to me instead.Have no clue what you are stating here Yet to this add your supercilious remarks about defending the honor of only “ONE” in whom you place complete confidence and trust as to the issue not lying lying and error are not the same; this is in and of itself contemptuously indifferent as a charlatan would claim of his own idealism concerning “guesses“ and “opinion.“. And this especially when you make a blanket statement that Wallace did not lie to defend his honor, Show me where I stated "Wallace did not lie to defend his honor" you are the one making a false statement. My statement is that Wallace is not guilty of lying unless proved. The alternative is explanations and errors. yet defame and reject Reno, Benteen and Girard in the process. As I said before, someone had to have lied, and it is evident from what you yourself have provided thus far that Reno, Benteen and Girard did lie according to your belief as stated in your own “guesses” and “opinion”. My position is and always has been that none of them lied until proved a lie. Starting from that point there are differences in testimony just like in most courts. If Reno wrote in his report that he thought it was about 8 and he believed that then it is not a lie even if incorrect. Do you believe all errors are lies?

I think the issues are that simple. I believe errors are common place and witness testimony differs. Lying to me means knowing something to be true and writing in a report or testifying to something different than you know not be the truth. If all these reports had the same time and the testimony exactly the same that would cause more suspicion.

Benteen I have only used Reno's report yet you want to provide some type of linkage to Benteen and Girard. If you do that then why don't you also provide the same linkage to Wallace's starting time of when they crossed the divide? Is there no other testimony or reports that have it later such 10:00 AM or 11:00 AM.

My preference is to stick to reports and testimonies that have two time and look at the interval. Reno's report provides that and so does Wallace. So why would I not use Benteen and Girard as you want to and accuse me of calling then liars? Benteen was on an oblique move so he is no help at least for me at the time when Reno crossed over to Custer. Girard has that time of when Custer gave Reno the orders as 1 PM which is in the Girard's correction on January 20, 1879. If you use the crossing the divide at 8 AM and Girard's corrected order time that is a 5 hours total moving down Reno Creek.

AZ Ranger

SEMPER FI

Edited by - AZ Ranger on October 19 2009 12:43:11 PM

AZ Ranger
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - October 19 2009 :  1:13:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by joe wiggs

Poor Wallace, the poor chap suffered several physical infirmities despite his young age. When observing the number of Reno's battalion, he was blind, when asked about the volley firing coming from Custer's battlefield he became deaf. In the retreat from Weir's Point, he testified at the Reno Inquiry that (Graham, Reno Court, 54)the men of Company "returned to Reno Hill at a walk." A memory lapse?

One would think that the men had just completed a leisurely repast and were simply walking off a splendid meal.

The reality of the situation was quite different, it was virtually a repeat of how the same men left the timber and, the way the order to leave was communicated. Again, no trumpet calls were made, just hearsay and the sudden departure of men.

Were it not for Godfrey who used his troop to lay down a consistent and persistent fire, warriors who were hotly pursuing the fleeing troops would have overwhelmed Reno's command too.

Again, why describe the helter-skelter movement of flight as a "walk" if not to preserve the dignity of the Army and, particularly, the 7th.

Since Wallace was in the rear and only had 7 men in his company why would that be hard to believe that his company walked. Moylan with the wounded being carried further to the rear could not go faster than walk when they went back. Don't you think?

I missed the part of 6 troopers on foot carrying the wounded out of the timber. I think it improbable that those troopers carrying the wounded from the advance to Weir Point went any faster than a walk.

AZ Ranger

SEMPER FI

Benteen
Lt. Colonel

Posted - October 20 2009 :  12:15:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ranger,

Since Benteen obviously lied, Girard obviously lied, and Reno obviously lied and ergo I obviously lied. You sir then are the only one correct. And I am a bonaifide liar, who knows absolutely nothing.

I was the only one who admitted that my theory if thats what you would like to call it, was either true or false with no grey lines between. You on the other hand made no such claim. Yours is the only one to consider, and if "anyone" wants to discuss any other "possibilities" on this board, then "TAKE THEM ELSEWHERE" because we don't need "liars" here: WE don't need to discuss anything that is "different" than what your truth states it should be.

I submit to you sir, that you are absolutely correct in everything you state. That you sir can do no wrong, see no wrong and state no wrong and hear no wrong and DC is absolutely correct in his assessment of your brilliant abilities and candor.

I stated numerous times to let it alone as one man to another; that "to each his own" was the appropriate answer, but you sir rejected that until I admitted that I was a liar and I was the poltroon and charlatan. So be it.

It's people like you who chase away anyone who wishes to discuss "possibilities". You foster no belief but your own as correct. You consistently error in this and yet you cannot see it. You refuse to see it because YOU and ONLY YOU are right and everyone else is either a liar and/or needs their character assassinated if they do not agree entirely with your views.

So be it, this battle has never had a significant discovery for over 135 years; and I will not further nor foster any other efforts than your own to find any other truth but yours. It isn't to each his own is it? It is believe you, follow you, worship you and anyone else is a liar.

This discussion sir is at an end. And so is my participation in it. Praise the Ranger, Hail Ranger, Heil Ranger. For he can do no wrong; he is always right, and he is great and mighty - all bow to the Ranger.

Mene, mene, tekel, upharsin

Edited by - Benteen on October 20 2009 01:54:12 AM

AZ Ranger
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - October 20 2009 :  12:48:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have never said that Benteen, Girard or Reno lied. That only leaves one. I noticed you failed to address Girard's 1:00 PM for Custer giving Reno the orders. Kind of spoils your statement that they all agreed. At least you forced me to review Girard's testimony instead of relying on your statement that Reno and Girard agreed on the times.

You never got it. It isn't that there is no discrepancies it is that you and want to make them liars that is my objection. You state that Reno and Girard agree in times yet when I stated Reno's report of 12:30 you stated it was an error and he meant 11:30. We have Girard's time at 1:00 which would be an hour and one half difference from your Reno corrected time. The difference from Wallace's time and Girard's is one hour.

I would hope there is always someone willing to stand up against those that want to call the dead liars or cowards without proof. Your trying to make it about something different is a waste of time.

AZ Ranger

SEMPER FI

AZ Ranger
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - October 20 2009 :  09:44:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seems like Boston checked out on the other board also and became a guest.

SEMPER FI

Dark Cloud
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - October 20 2009 :  12:23:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dark Cloud's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's not that AZ won't debate you, Benteen-Boston, it's that he cleans your clock which is your annoyance. You make sweeping generalities that are not true. He does it as benteeneast on the official LBHA board.

Respect is earned, not automatically granted. Civility is granted easily. But people trying to elevate themselves in their own minds by dissing US officers unable to defend themselves - and despite having long combat records of duty full-filled - offends. It even offends me.

I never served, never (obviously) saw combat, but I read. And among the things I read are first hand accounts by officers and soldiers/sailors from all eras, and there is a consistency to the content. Two guys in the same foxhole both exhibiting the best of their training can emerge and give narratives under oath that suggest they were in different time zones. Neither is lying.

We know this happens, yet only for the LBHA do we take these utterly predictable inconsistencies and try to build a conspiracy or denigrate someone's confusion OR attempt to make a coherent narrative of it that might involve editing of events and damn him forever. They do it to this day, and I continue to offer the Pat Tillman saga as proof. People lied and dissembled when it came out that they, in error and not entirely without reason, shot and killed one of their own. Yes, there ARE people claiming conspiracy to kill Tillman but it makes no sense whatsoever. And if now with that, easy to imagine then with Custer.

Dark Cloud
copyright RL MacLeod
darkcloud@darkendeavors.com
www.darkendeavors.com
www.boulderlout.com

Benteen
Lt. Colonel

Posted - October 22 2009 :  10:47:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
DC,

quote:
It's not that AZ won't debate you, Benteen-Boston, it's that he cleans your clock which is your annoyance.

Cleans my clock, DC? There is NO, absolutely NO knowns in this battle. And if YOU or Ranger thinks they knows more than anyone else, then THAT is an arrogance that further demonstrates your's and his incompetence, and further misunderstanding: This best exemplified in your own arrogant "Clean your clock" statement. This isn't a personal jousting contest where I stick my lance into your eye, breaking the lance in the process and loosing the battle. If you or Ranger want to participate in the childish notion of Cowboys and Indians, saying, in effect that - "bang, bang I shot you and now your dead": And then me countering with another "childish" remark, "no, i'm not, you are": Then I won't participate in such antics. You and Ranger want this, then take it outside and strap on your toy pistols and little bows and arrows with rubber suction cups on the end and have at it.

Respect is NEVER earned, it is automatically granted in "civility" as a grown-up courtesy to the people you do or do not know. And until you and Ranger learn this, I fear your proper place is upon the playground, running around as a child would and not understanding anything until you do grow up. Until such time as you do, go out and play.

Edited by - Benteen on October 22 2009 10:47:52 AM

AZ Ranger
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - October 22 2009 :  9:21:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And here sir is it in full so that you do not try to edit it after the fact. It is for your information is the 3rd paragraph.

Benteen you deleted your first posts completely. Notice Joe is stating a welcome and I am replying to you and your posts are missing. What are you covering up?

SEMPER FI

Edited by - AZ Ranger on October 22 2009 9:24:23 PM

Benteen
Lt. Colonel

Posted - October 23 2009 :  08:13:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wallace said at the RCOI that it took 20 minutes to get from the first halt to the 2nd. Benteen stated that from the first halt to the 2nd it was 4 to 5 miles and took 2 hours.

What I find interesting is that Wallace's arrival time for halt 1 when subracted from the departure time for halt two was 1 hour and 38 minutes. When one adds both Wallace times (1:38 + :20), it adds up to 1 hour 58 minutes, the exact same time that Benteen stated (within 2 minutes of it) it took from halt 1 to halt 2. Coincidence or truth? [by the way, 4 to 5 miles in 20 minutes is 12 to 15 mph]

AZ Ranger
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - October 23 2009 :  10:22:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Benteen I don't know your source for labeling with numbers the halts but Benteen's narrative seems to me to agree with Wallace if "then came almost as sudden a halt" is equivalent to Wallace's 20 minutes. I think the simple answer is that they are not in agreement on what constituted a numbered halt.

Page 179 Custer Myth Transcript of Benteen's Narrative

This trot was kept up for perhaps eight or ten miles then came a halt .... I crouched down by a sage bush until daylight,...

Halt 1 after 8-10 miles

In a few moments, it seemed, the column moved forward, no orders however,for same were gotten, but my troop and I followed the procession, then came almost as sudden a halt; no orders for that.
The rear of the column knew of none, however, a few moments brought us a summons through orderly to Officers' Call at Headquarters....

Halt 2 Seems like maybe the rear didn't move at all. Benteen given the lead.

after going a few miles the command was halted between hills on everyside...

Halt 3 I believe is across the divide and where Benteen receives his left oblique order. Benteen states it was from this point that it was 15 miles to Custer's body

AZ Ranger

SEMPER FI

Edited by - AZ Ranger on October 23 2009 10:33:34 AM

AZ Ranger
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - October 23 2009 :  10:46:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://digicoll.library.wisc.edu/cgi-bin/History/History-idx?type=turn&entity=History.Reno.p0380&id=History.Reno&isize=M

It all seems so simple that recollections vary by occasion and over time. Benteen's narrative has the movement that corresponds to Wallace's time. Maybe at the RCOI he does not consider the short move as official. His narrative 2nd halt matches his testified first halt.

SEMPER FI

AZ Ranger
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - October 23 2009 :  10:49:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Benteen stated that from the first halt to the 2nd it was 4 to 5 miles and took 2 hours.

Where does he state that in the RCOI?

Same page above Benteen states it was 8 miles from the first halt to the second halt.

On the next page I see 4 to 5 miles to the line of bluffs.

http://digicoll.library.wisc.edu/cgi-bin/History/History-idx?type=turn&entity=History.Reno.p0381&id=History.Reno&isize=M

SEMPER FI

Edited by - AZ Ranger on October 23 2009 10:58:44 AM

joe wiggs
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - October 23 2009 :  5:37:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AZ Ranger

Got a C in English and freely admit my grammar, spelling and punctuation sucks. I have stated that before. Also type slowly. At least the "there" is spelled correctly unlike how you put an e in Thompson misspelling his name. I was not trying to correct your spelling with my comment only pointing out that Boston on another board spelled Thompsen the same way you misspelled it. Also that Boston tried to lecture Fred as a school teacher would and Fred let him have it. The style of asking multiple questions and not taking a position is similar also. There is nothing wrong with having different names on different boards. I just see sufficient characteristics to believe you and Boston are the same. You should see similar characteristics with Benteeneast and AZ Ranger.

My problem with Joe is he has multiple personalities with different names and sexes much different than one person using only one name per board.

I don't tolerate calling dead people liars without proof which is what Joe started his thread on Wallace. "Why did Wallace Lie?"

AZ Ranger

There are several reasons why you can not be taken seriously. No offense intended, but your immature responses that deal with spelling, your grossly exaggerations such as your inaccurate statement that I call "calling dead people a liar", and your insane obsession with multiply personalties have totally destroyed your credibility.

And another thing, any individual who would spent such an exorbitant amount of time trying to absolve Reno's deplorable "charge" which sparked a panic in his troops which, sadly, resulted in a stampede in which soldiers were dragged from their mounts by shrieking warriors who ridiculed them as children and, expounds the laughable excuse that there was nothing else he could do is one of the following:

A. Insane;
B. Mis-guided;
C. Senile;
D. All of the above.

I never called Wallace a "Liar.' Unlike you my mis-gotten friend, I call no man a liar be he dead or alive. As I stated before, real men don't do that; just you and dc. What I said and asked is why did he lie? There is a difference in the two statements although I realize that you just would not get it therefore, I won't attempt to explain it to you.

Another thing my pretentious friend, recently you selected to post an article regarding the Prince George's County Police Department which was detrimental to the department in content and, may or may not have been true.

What puzzled me regarding this act is that an alleged police officer posted it. Let me explain further, American has always been suspect of standing police force and rightfully so. Throughout the world,Police units have been utilized as an arm of injustice and death. American demands that her officers be well trained and possess an ethical quality that will sustain justice and equality for all. In the 60's when the police failed to police themselves, the Supreme Court took over thus, Miranda and other laws came into effect.

Regardless, many police actions are unjustly criticized by a still suspicious public and their watch dog media. As a result, many officers feel betrayed by the very people they have sworn to protect. This perceive betrayal has resulted in the following:

Fifty % of all police officers die within 5 years of their retirement due to suicide and alcoholism. Sad isn't it. the very people that these hero's die for slander them.

Just as you did with your post. there are countless positive and life saving articles out there on the web site but, you a supposed police officer chose to slander your fellow police officers. You see az, every police officer is a brother who, if necessary, will give their life for his brother.

How then could you do what a slanted media and, small percentage of civilians do routinely? Is it possible that a Arizona State Ranger is similar to a Forrest Park Ranger. If so, this would go far in ex paining you, doesn't it.

Ps If you would spent more time reading rather than critiquing you could probably learn something new.

Edited by - joe wiggs on October 23 2009 5:39:31 PM

Benteen
Lt. Colonel

Posted - October 24 2009 :  08:13:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Benteen's mileages that he stated at the RCOI from eve of the 24th through to ford "A" don't seem to make sense, or do they? He stated that it was 10 miles to where they camped, another 8 to the first halt, and yet another 8 miles to where he stated they departed on his mission "left" [26 miles]. Yet, what seems also implausible is Girards own statments, which add up to 29 - 30 miles over that same route. Busby to camp - 12 miles. Camp to divide, 5 miles. Divide to ford "A", 12 - 13 miles.

What is apparent, is that from where they left on the eve of the 24th to ford "A", by the route they took, was some 26 to 30 miles: And one simply must conform any attempt to understand what happened between, to these figures.

To our understanding 'the divide' lay some 12 to 13 miles from ford "A", yet Benteen clearly stated at the RCOI that it was 10 miles to where they camped and 8 miles to the first halt from there, and yet another 8 miles to where he departed on his "left" mission. That places him very near ford "A" when he left on that mission!

His July 4th letter stated it differently, and was most likely closer to the truth, yet was it?

[Note: Before someone goes off on another childish tantrum and blames me for something else than what it actually is; THINK, before you blame & POST!]

Edited by - Benteen on October 24 2009 08:18:38 AM

AZ Ranger
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - October 24 2009 :  11:43:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just as you did with your post. there are countless positive and life saving articles out there on the web site but, you a supposed police officer chose to slander your fellow police officers. You see az, every police officer is a brother who, if necessary, will give their life for his brother.

How then could you do what a slanted media and, small percentage of civilians do routinely? Is it possible that a Arizona State Ranger is similar to a Forrest Park Ranger. If so, this would go far in ex paining you, doesn't it.

Joe you are going beyond ignorance, as far as police status. I am an AZPOST certified officer. Our basic academy includes police(cities), deputies (counties),Marshals (towns), Indian tribes (for state certification), and state officers. Officers AZPOST certified can move freely among agencies. Our agency has lost quite a few to the Highway Patrol for salary reasons.

Apparently you don't know much about federal officers either. The forest is patrolled by LEOs, law enforcement officers, not park rangers they have full federal jurisdiction. I think you are confused with the information rangers that are not level 4 law enforcement. The guys carrying the AR-15s and police dogs taking down drug growers in the forest are not "Forrest Park Ranger" and you have just insulted them. The person that hands you the coloring book with Smokey the bear on the cover is not in the same job. It's not hard to figure out Joe. Maybe if you spent a little more time researching before you comment you would not be so ignorant of facts.

If you did not call Wallace a liar then explain your title to this thread. "Why did Wallace lie?" instead you could have had "Did Wallace lie?. See the difference?

In the Marine Corps we were taught to make the other guy give up his life.

Me and a few friends last Thursday

FOP member Lodge 71

AZ Ranger

SEMPER FI

Edited by - AZ Ranger on October 24 2009 12:31:42 PM

joe wiggs
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - October 24 2009 :  2:03:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just as I thought, a forest ranger. I don't foresee any real problems for you and your "friends" unless squirrels start packing.

You initiated this crap because you are not a real cop. No real cop would have done so. Perhaps you are a civilian dispatcher who has learned a bit of police lingo and has stretched that knowledge into the status of a "wannabe" real cop.

I'm not sure exactly, what I am sure is that I smell a civilian pretending to be the real thing. Last, but certainly not last, I attended the Marine Corp. Officer's program in 1972. I just don't feel the urge to go around shouting "Semper Fi" like an arm chair general.

joe wiggs
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - October 24 2009 :  2:11:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Benteen, as usual your information is correct and top notch. yes, Benteen lied and literally stole the show with his flamboyant demeanor and long gray hair. He was a favorite of the women in the audience.

Well, Az made me break my promise to be nice on the forum. Can you believe he is in his sixties yet, he post a recent photo of "him and his friends" carrying AR-15's. Which one was you az, the old geezer in the trunk. By the way, I'm 61 myself. Thankfully, I managed to gracefully attain this age and remain an adult. Lucky I guess.

joe wiggs
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - October 24 2009 :  2:26:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Cloud

It's not that AZ won't debate you, Benteen-Boston, it's that he cleans your clock which is your annoyance. You make sweeping generalities that are not true. He does it as benteeneast on the official LBHA board.

dc, I declare! if I hear you brag about being a coward once more I will puke!!! We know you are a coward, an idiot, and a buffoon.

Luckily, you're also good for laughs. Remember that thread of yours sometime ago. The one about TEMPLATES ? On and On you postulated about historical events re-occurring in a sort of a life cycle of original events. I kept saying, does this idiot not know the term archetype?

I know I have. I believe the ancient Greeks were aware of it also. Lastly, dc please do not form the word "respect" and how it should be earned with you not having a friend in this world. I can safely say that you have offended every member of every board you have posted on.

If you can get anyone on any of the forums to E-Mail me and say, "I like dc (az don't count) I will send you a check for $10.00. If I do not receive any E-mails I will still send you the phone number of a good psychiatrist. Either way you are a winner!

I never served, never (obviously) saw combat, but I read. And among the things I read are first hand accounts by officers and soldiers/sailors from all eras, and there is a consistency to the content. Two guys in the same foxhole both exhibiting the best of their training can emerge and give narratives under oath that suggest they were in different time zones. Neither is lying.

joe wiggs
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - October 24 2009 :  10:29:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
People lie when under stress and, as a result, they feel that it behooves them to do so; whatever the reason. This does not necessarily mean that an individual who does so must be branded a "liar" for eternity. While a lie is a lie, mitigating circumstances will, sometimes, help us to digest and rationalize the cause of an untruth.

For example, the men involved in this battle were under tremendous stress. As a result, some of them did not perform in a manner that could be accepted as honorable. This does not mean that they were heathens and cowards. Only the brave ( and I include Reno) were involved in this battle. It took guts to even go to the battlefield.

What does one do when faced with tremendous odds, hopelessness, and panic and, ultimately, succumbs to panic. What does he or she do when they are called to account for their actions to a group of people who now are now their judges. People who were not there, who did not suffer the trials and tribulations of war but, who will make the final determination of who was right or wrong.

Sometimes they twist, alter, and fabricate actions that result in untruthfulness. This does not mean that these poor unfortunates be labeled "liars" for the rest of their lives. This subtleness in definition is beyond az's ability to grasp.

For example Reno's "charge" and his subsequent testimony which was a total antithesis of reality. Why did he do what he did? Why did he make the deplorable decisions that he made? He was drunk!!!

How do I make this outrageous claim? Let's ask the soldiers who were by his side during this rush to safety.

Lt. DeRudio:
"When Major Reno ordered the troops to mount and charge through the Indian cordon and get to the high hills across the river, this order was not generally understood, as no bugle calls were given. Owing to the dense dust kicked up by the Indian ponies, as their riders raced back and forth, as well as the smoke and general confusion, many of the troopers did not see their companions leave, and about a dozen or fifteen were left behind...they were thus left in in a most desperate plight."

Lt. Hare:
"The crossing was not covered and no effort was made to hold the Indians back. If the Indians had followed us in force to the hilltop, they would have gotten us all."

Capt. French:

In a letter he wrote in June 1880 to the wife of Dr. A.H. Cooke that he would have been fully justified had he shot Reno when the major ordered the retreat.

Reno's drinking:

While crossing "Reno's" ford, DeRudio observed the major "drinking heavily" from a flask.

Private William Taylor also saw his drinking but said it was right before Reno ordered the advance. "As I looked back Major Reno was just taking a bottle from his lips."

Private John Fox said, "Reno appeared to be intoxicated or partially so", when Benteen arrived.

On the night of the 25th., Private Corcoran said that Reno walked past his position and inquired about how he was getting along. he saw Reno with a quart bottle in his hand.

F.F. Giard:
"I don,t know that ant efforts were made to ascertain where the firing from the rear came from. I don't know that any point was designated where the command should rally or retreat on."

I could go further but, you get the point. This was the man that az frothed at the mouth to defend. This testimony did not come out during the trial for reasons I have previously stated. This does not make them liars. It makes them desperate human beings who wished to justify why they did what they did. Unlike an acute minority, I call no man a "liar." I do address the fact that some men lie.
Page: of 10 Previous Topic: John Martin, of times, places and events. Topic Next Topic: Battlefield Surround, Custers Fight Opens  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Custom Search

Against All Odds Message Board © 1998-2010 Rich Federici/Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
This page was raised in 0.22 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.03