Against All Odds Message Board
Against All Odds Message Board
10/9/2024 5:21:17 AM
Home | Old Board Archives | Events | Polls
Photo Album | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages | Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Chat
Bookmarks | Active Topics
Invite A Friend To Face The Odds!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Battle of the Little Bighorn - 1876
 Custer's Last Stand
 Question on Bradley
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: The Fire of 1983 Topic Next Topic: Fetterman Battlefield Tour  

Smcf
Captain

Posted - September 13 2004 :  09:06:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Folks - I watched a BBC program on the battle which put forth the views of a British archaeologist involved in the after-fire digs. By way of a foreword, a narrator read out a report by Lieut. James H Bradley detailing his encounter with the 3 Indian scouts. I'll append my written form of this narration below, but my question - is this the first written report of the battle? i.e. written on the 26th, or was it reported in retospect - does anyone know?

"June 26th 1876 - Lieutenant James H Bradley, 7th Infantry, Scout Patrol"

"We entered a valley cut by a dry creek and here came upon the fresh tracks of ponies. We had seen a heavy smoke rising in our front, apparently 15 or 20 miles away. While speculating on the circumstance, 3 men were discovered on the oppsosite side of the Big Horn apparently watching our movements, some of the crow scouts I had furnished to General Custer."

"We at once signalled to them. They responded that Custer had followed the Indian trail and yesterday struck the Village on the Little Big Horn, Sioux warriors letting them get close to the Village and then sallying forth in overwhelming numbers to meet him. The corpses of Custer's men were strewn all over the country. It was a terrible, terrible story - so different from the outcome we had hoped for."

Anonymous Poster8169
Brigadier General

Posted - September 14 2004 :  12:50:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a heavily edited extract from Bradley's daily journal --- not "report". Pages 152-54 of the University of Oklahoma Press edition. Bradley's original field diary is gone, and what survives today appears to be a worked-up version that Bradley wrote after the campaign. Two or three men with Reno kept journals; Godfrey's the most significant.

R. Larsen

Go to Bottom of PageGo to Top of Page

Smcf
Captain

Posted - September 14 2004 :  03:55:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks for the information.
Go to Bottom of PageGo to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: The Fire of 1983 Topic Next Topic: Fetterman Battlefield Tour  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Custom Search

Against All Odds Message Board © 1998-2010 Rich Federici/Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
This page was raised in 0.06 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.03