Against All Odds Message Board
Against All Odds Message Board
10/9/2024 5:23:53 AM
Home | Old Board Archives | Events | Polls
Photo Album | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages | Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Chat
Bookmarks | Active Topics
Invite A Friend To Face The Odds!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Battle of the Little Bighorn - 1876
 Custer's Last Stand
 Benteen's "scout"--to see what he could see??
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page

Author Previous Topic: Fetterman Battlefield Tour Topic Next Topic: Walking the Field
Page: of 3

Smcf
Captain

Posted - August 17 2004 :  07:15:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the point concerning the Terry "orders" may have some merit in this context. The only serious disagreement Custer had with Terry during the march concerned the Reno scout of 10th-20th July, I'm given to understand. We can assume the plan agreed on by Terry, Gibbon and Custer had the full support of all, in the absence of evidence to the contrary. The carte blanche aspects of the orders to Custer seem to me to result from Terry's own deference to a man he desparately wanted on this mission. However, Terry's own considerations were apparently accepted by Custer too.

So, the 7th head straight for the trail Reno discovered a week or so earlier. On the morning of the 25th, Custer knows in which direction the village is, but has only a vague notion of the distance. The theory is he then puts the Terry/Gibbon/Custer plan into action on his own, with Benteen taking Custer's role in arcing south and west. The grand plan in miniature, if you will. It might be stretching the point, but it would also seem that Custer did not discuss Terry's considerations with his officers. From his report, Reno knew only that Benteen was taking a column to his left, to "sweep all before him". That's what the whole command was supposed to be doing from the Rosebud valley onwards.

Further speculation here, but could Custer have simply misjudged the distance he and Reno travelled after not coming across any village a few miles after Benteen split off?
Go to Bottom of PageGo to Top of Page

Dark Cloud
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - August 17 2004 :  11:14:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dark Cloud's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I myself don't see how he could misjudge the distance. Even if he was unskilled, which he was not, the numerous scouts including Varnum would have corrected him.

There is something seriously odd, though, about the several repetitive couriers Custer sent to Benteen during this foray. With fifty scouts of some sort, you'd think he could put them to better use and keep the regiment together. He'd have the news about the extent of the village faster.

I spent a lot of time years past thinking that Benteen had fibbed, and that there was something else going on that was bolluxed. But Benteen's story about these orders and all were supported by those who delivered them and Gibson and others. And I was forced to conclude, as I guess others have, that Custer didn't have a tight grip on what he was doing, and that these logically unnecessary couriers were symptomatic of a disorganized and off the cuff commander.

It gives evidence to those who have said that Custer, while brave in battle, didn't give people a feeling of confidence in command. Imagine being an experienced leader like Benteen getting these stupid messages. Like a child in the backseat saying "are we there yet?" What does that suggest about your superior? That he can't formulate a directive because he hasn't decided on one and if there is a mistake, you will be blamed.

Benteen mentioned in his letters that Custer at one point gave a series of excellent orders for the organization of the regiment. He says it in a manner that indicates both approval and some surprise.

Like I say, the unstable ground makes you go rigid and into self-protect mode. I think Custer's officers in the West always had this issue. And if that newspaper piece he wrote about Reno's scout is indicative, he could be a manipulative sob for his own advancement at their expense, just like at the Wa****a.

Dark Cloud
copyright RL MacLeod
darkcloud@darkendeavors.com
www.darkendeavors.com
www.boulderlout.com

Edited by - Dark Cloud on August 17 2004 11:47:41 AM

joseph wiggs
Brigadier General

Posted - August 25 2004 :  1:38:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Nobody Malign's you, Wiggs."

It has always been my sole intention to exchange information regarding the BLBH with others who share a compassionate interest in this saga. It was never my purpose to sling personal, demeaning, drivel at those who opined their thoughts. Sadly, such juvenile, crass, and wasteful comments are not beyond the scope of some. Pushed by the continuous, unsolicited, disgusting remarks of a few, I retaliated with a barage of un-niceties of my own. Having made this statement, I wish to re-affirm my desire to exchange credible information with others. As for those who wish to continue to "malign, Wiggs", I can assure you that I am more than equal to the challenge.

Dark Cloud
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - August 25 2004 :  3:27:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dark Cloud's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As the pointless comma after malign proves, nobody maligns you Wiggs. Your featured belligerent incompetence does that. All the assurances in the world can't overcome what's up here on the forum under your name. All the sentences you wrote that mean the opposite of what you thought, all the missed references, and then thinking you can deny something you wrote that is even now still posted.....

Even with people writing on your behalf, they can't overcome that. Besides, any period of chronic coherence and competence with the language would only mean you aren't writing it.

Dark Cloud
copyright RL MacLeod
www.darkendeavors.com
www.boulderlout.com

joseph wiggs
Brigadier General

Posted - August 25 2004 :  4:35:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Dim Clown, your last subtle(?)and erroneous tirade is so indicative of a delusional lummox who, foolishly, believes that his opinions are the Alpha and Omega of life. Your pompous diatribes would be better served in a format where sanctimonious clowns, such as yourself, engage in supercilious comments of little value. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. Actually, I get a little drowsy when I don't have your loud, but empty remarks to arouse my spirit. Thank you! However, in keeping with my sincere belief that the forum is better served when we stick to issues, I post the following: Custer died at the Battle of the Little Big Horn.

Dark Cloud
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - August 25 2004 :  4:57:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dark Cloud's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, better run it past those children again, Wiggs. They can be no worse and are likely far more spontaneous. They wouldn't need days to compose all-purpose would-be flames without spelling errors and with correct subject-verb agreement.

You're better off just calling people names, Wiggs; when you try to appear clever, it's cringe worthy.

Dark Cloud
copyright RL MacLeod
www.darkendeavors.com
www.boulderlout.com
Page: of 3 Previous Topic: Fetterman Battlefield Tour Topic Next Topic: Walking the Field  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Custom Search

Against All Odds Message Board © 1998-2010 Rich Federici/Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
This page was raised in 0.06 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.03