The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
9/16/2024 2:54:26 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 COLONIAL TIMES
 Colonial Consciousness
 The Pequawtets' Last Stand ...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Green Mountianeers ... Topic Next Topic: The Vermont Republic ...  

Monadnock Hiker
Colonial Militia

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
August 31 2017

Posted - July 30 2024 :  10:40:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://www.mtearchronicles.com/single-post/2017/12/09/The-Pequawkets-Last-Stand
Between 1675 and 1710, Indians repeatedly attacked communities in territories which now comprise parts of Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Maine.
The Abenakis, of which the Pequawkets were a tribe, and the English signed the Peace of Utrecht in 1713, which brought about a brief hiatus in the hostilities. - Inevitably, though, encroachment of Indian lands increased with the growth of the English settlements. - Taking advantage of the volatile situation, the French in northern Maine and Canada used this to instigate the Indians to attack the outlying English towns. - As in 20th century warfare where the armies of smaller nations are used as pawns by the super powers, so were the Indians used by the French to inflict damage on the English.
Anxious to increase their enemy's difficulties in the New World, the French gave the Pequawket Indians extra provisions, new shotguns, blankets, and even new moccasins to make them better equipped to fight this "enemy." - (The English were not above this tactic either, as they attempted to enlist the help of the fierce Mohawk tribe to battle the French and the Pequawkets but only a few responded despite financial enticement.)
The renewed conflict with the Indians caused the governor of Massachusetts, whose authority reached north into the wilderness, to place a bounty of 100 pounds on any Indian scalp.
report to moderator

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - July 31 2024 :  09:17:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Interesting. You can meet the "Pequawket Alliance" at the Fort at #4.

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Monadnock Hiker
Colonial Militia

August 31 2017

Posted - July 31 2024 :  12:30:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Weather permitting - I'll be there. Intend to see if Lynn is still taking part. - Last time I talked with her she said she (& hubby) were "cutting back" - age.

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - August 01 2024 :  09:26:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
That's what I heard as well. I hope they don't give it all up. She was the Secretary for the Pequawkets and has turned that over to another person.

Monadnock Hiker
Colonial Militia

August 31 2017

Posted - August 04 2024 :  1:15:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well - it was a "no go" - weather. Saturday at #4 the weather was probably pretty good. - Driving over there - not so good. Going over Temple Mountain, the sky was black & raining so hard I could barely see the yellow lines in the road - turned back. - Today, Sunday 8.4.24 - pretty wet at #4, never tried. - Theres probably something on FB about it ... I don't have an account.

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - August 05 2024 :  09:37:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
That's a shame. I haven't seen anything on Facebook yet, but it's early.

Previous Topic: Green Mountianeers ... Topic Next Topic: The Vermont Republic ...  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.27 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07