The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
7/1/2024 1:55:03 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 COLONIAL TIMES
 The Muster
 Parade Ground..... HELP!!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Cook Forest French & Indian War Encampment - Day 1 Topic Next Topic: Better get yourself a musket....  

Gasaka Soquilla
Pioneer

Duel Heritage
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
October 17 2002

Posted - January 23 2003 :  05:34:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Gasaka Soquilla's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Horrido*!
I've been away for a little while, my grandmother passed away during the Christmas holiday & I've had other "stuff" I was dealing with here.

Anyhow, things were not working out with the rangers (politics), I got caught in the middle of some stuff & thus resigned my commission & returned to my old command (Hessian Feldjäger Corps - Rev War), where I & my nephew are reequipping ourselves (etc) and forming a new company portraying the Jäger zu Pferd (mounted chasseurs - our ranks were made up of former Hessian hussars & dragoons) who raised cain in & around NY/NJ during the Rev War (we were *not* very well liked by the inhabitants of Tarrytown in Westchester Co.) under the command of Capt.Lorey.

Our impression date is mainly focused upon 1777 (when we became active in the colonies) thru 1778 (my best dates for reference from Ewald's journal on the corps). During 1777 we started out dismounted before acquiring the needed mounts, thus our members will have that choice.

My persona's name (Schreckhise) is actually taken from my 6th great-grandfather, a Lutheran minister who came to Virginia from the Tyrol's (Austria) to escape the Hapsburgs (who were Catholic), & he helped found the Lutheran church in America (so I'm told).

Anyhow, this is getting away from my post subject ;-)
I wish to add our units website link to the Parade Ground, but do not know how to do this. Any advice?

Viele Dank.
Horrido und Waidmannsheil!

(* "Horrido" is an ancient German hunter's greeting, "Waidmannsheil" is a return greeting/blessing).

GasakaSoquilla
(Lighthorse)

Adjutant;
Joseph Brant's Volunteers
BAR Unit #225
report to moderator

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - January 23 2003 :  05:41:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Send me the URL, web site name, and the particulars ... I'll post it for you, old friend! It has to be done from this end!!
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Gasaka Soquilla
Pioneer

Duel Heritage
USA

October 17 2002

Posted - January 24 2003 :  01:16:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Gasaka Soquilla's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thanks Rich, will do!

GasakaSoquilla
(Lighthorse)

Adjutant;
BAR Unit #225

Scott Bubar
Colonial Militia

USA

May 17 2002

Posted - January 24 2003 :  8:59:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Gasaka Soquilla

... our ranks were made up of former Hessian hussars & dragoons) who raised cain in & around NY/NJ during the Rev War (we were *not* very well liked by the inhabitants of Tarrytown in Westchester Co ...

Well now, don't lose your head over it, TEH!

Sorry to hear about your grandmother.

~~Aim small, miss small.

Gasaka Soquilla
Pioneer

Duel Heritage
USA

October 17 2002

Posted - January 24 2003 :  11:44:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Gasaka Soquilla's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Bubar

quote:
Originally posted by Gasaka Soquilla

... our ranks were made up of former Hessian hussars & dragoons) who raised cain in & around NY/NJ during the Rev War (we were *not* very well liked by the inhabitants of Tarrytown in Westchester Co ...

Well now, don't lose your head over it, TEH!

Ahh, so you picked up on that, eh?
I'm working on a new website with target date for Halloween 2003 that goes into this better.

Thanks for your thoughts about my grandmother too.

GasakaSoquilla
(Lighthorse)

Adjutant;
BAR Unit #225

Fitz Williams
Colonial Militia

USA

May 19 2002

Posted - January 27 2003 :  01:54:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Horrido

I believe this was also used by German fighter pilots in WWII.

Gasaka Soquilla
Pioneer

Duel Heritage
USA

October 17 2002

Posted - January 28 2003 :  02:35:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Gasaka Soquilla's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Fitz Williams

quote:
Horrido

I believe this was also used by German fighter pilots in WWII.

Mein Gott!??!
You know, now that you mentioned it I think I have seen where that was the case! Why those...[grrr...grumble,grumble]

I dont want to get side-tracked here, but I & my kameraden are more concerned with the 18th century German/Prussians/Austrians than we are the WWII era nazis...they have nothing in common (other than they co-opted 'Horrido' as you point out Fitz).

I only mention this since you brought it up, because at some events some people (i.e. spectators) ignorant of history have on rare occassion given my Hessian kameraden the nazi hand salute & yelled "seig heil" as they march past (this has included some less than informed reenactors as well)! As you can see one has to develop a thick-skin to portray a Rev War Hessian.

I also want to mention this so those "less informed" who read this thread & see your message about WWII pilots dont confuse the two.
If your one of those, come visit our website & see what we're really about!

Horrido und Waidmannsheil!

GasakaSoquilla
(Lighthorse)

Adjutant;
BAR Unit #225
  Previous Topic: Cook Forest French & Indian War Encampment - Day 1 Topic Next Topic: Better get yourself a musket....  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.19 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07