The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/11/2024 3:26:58 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 Miscellaneous(eez zat a franch word?) celebrity obsairvashions uv zee coureur de
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Zee troos regardezment zee purple pee-johnz... Topic Next Topic: The Bandwagon  

lane batot
Colonial Settler

USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
October 15 2011

Posted - November 15 2011 :  12:48:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...oops, ran out of room on the title space! But you guys should know the routine by now.... So, I thought to wind up my VIP observations and (lack of) interactions as an Xtra coureur de bois on the set. Johdi May--I had no interactions with the lass, but my observations jibe with most everyone else's I've been reading on this site--she was rather quiet, and seemed quite shy. I don't doubt she was rather overwhelmed! I know I was at times, and I was very glad I could just sit back and watch most of the time!.....Stephen Waddington--no interaction again, but like most, I felt he was a quite affable fellow....Russel Means--I WISH I had more to say about Mr. Means, but he being one of the Upper Eschelon, I had virtually no contact, because of the circumstances. I would have loved to have conversed with him! His reputation on the set was quite formidable--and he's a BIG guy--he LOOKS formidable, and he did deck some people during filming--wasn't the A D he decked Waxman? And if so, wasn't he simply doing what we would have ALL liked to have done?(He mentions decking the A D in his autobiography, but doesn't name him, though it sounds a lot like Wax-fer-brains!). I know he knocked another Indian FLAT during the Massacre filming, this fellow was LIVID, but even at the time I thought, dang, I wouldn't put myself in Russel's way in the first place! Russel may have thought the fellow was a stunt man--anyway, it soon became set lore to NOT get in Russel's way! Sounds like he was the only one to stand up to Michael Mann, too! But I never was close enough or by chance to be around him enough to have any real opinion myself....Wes Studi, on the other hand, I got to be around a lot, being with the French Indians constantly. When I FIRST saw Wes on set, not knowing anything about who was playing what, or that Mr. Studi was even one of the VIP's('cause he certainly never acted like one! He just seemed like one of us guys!), I said to myself(having read and reread the Cooper books since childhood) THAT'S MAGUA! Or needs to be! So EXCELLENT casting choice in my opinion; and I think Wes Studi MADE that movie(just my opinion, and even though I think everybody else did a great job, too). And Wes Studi was NOTHING like the character Magua--he was friendly, approachable, quiet, and very polite--I wish I could have gotten to converse with him personally as well! But even though he was nearby a lot, as an Xtra, you don't want to be a nuisance(well, at least to those you had respect for!), so I just left those encounters up to fate. Which, alas, did not occur in this case. But I will have much more to say regarding getting to train and hang out with the Indians, and of course, Dennis Banks! I think it was ONLY because of the extremely positive vibes and camaraderie I got from the Indians that I stayed as long as I did, and didn't leave early on in disgust from what I witnessed from the white authority on the set--the Indians, and the special, even magical experience they made that movie set, kept me hanging around, a real, potential member of the "wannabee" tribe before it was over! SUCH a different experience from what I saw of the soldier Xtras, and from what I've read of the soldiers' experiences on this website! But that's another topic.....
report to moderator

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - November 16 2011 :  4:15:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I think that nearly all of us here agree with you totally about Wes Studi. I don't know if you have found the information on this website, but Wes was an invited guest at one of the early Mohicanland Gatherings. I was not there, but from what I understand, he won everybody's hearts, and they were quite freely given! (Pun intended.) He was warm, friendly, gracious, and very grateful. He was presented with an "Oscar" for his performance, which does, indeed, make the movie. There have been many discussions about that on this board.

I'm sure that Rich can comment even more, and direct you to the discussions and interview.

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - November 16 2011 :  4:35:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Magua, - "his performance, which does, indeed, make the movie."
Couldn't agree more WW, - remove Magua from LOTM and you end up with nothing.

you can keep "The Change"

James N.
Colonial Militia

James N
USA

October 24 2007

Posted - November 16 2011 :  8:33:08 PM  Show Profile  Send James N. a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I took this snapshot of Wes and some of his men as they trekked across the meadow to get in position for the opening of the "Massacre"; he looks laid-back and very much like you describe, and always seemed to be in a good humor from what little I saw of him.

Image Insert:

54.25 KB

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - November 17 2011 :  08:20:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I really regret not being at the Gathering when Wes was there. But that was before I started going, or even knew that they existed. I did get to meet Russell Means and I enjoyed that.

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - November 17 2011 :  12:23:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Monadnock Guide

Magua, - "his performance, which does, indeed, make the movie."
Couldn't agree more WW, - remove Magua from LOTM and you end up with nothing.

Well, not quite. I'd still have Nathaniel.

I also have to say that Wes looked mighty good in that loin-cloth.

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

lane batot
Colonial Settler

USA

October 15 2011

Posted - November 17 2011 :  2:12:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well, that brings up the subject of loin cloths. I think it was in the Madeline Stowe interview that she made some comment about feeling sorry for DDL for having to wear one--Mz. Stowe, if you ever read this, rest assured, that is NO hardship or uncomfortable in any way! Loincloths(breech clouts) have to be the SIMPLEST and most basically comfortable and practicle forms of human male apparel ever invented! WHY, with all the silly, skimpy, tookie forms of shorts and briefs and speedos the fashion industry comes up with, no one has ever thought to make loincloths popular for beach and leisure wear, I sure don't know! Every primitive jungle/forest/desert dweller since Neanderthal days has found them quite practical and functional, so why not modern, civilized folks? We Coureur De Bois wore loincloths, too, and boy howdy was I glad! You could catch breezes with a loincloth on, that none a them soldiers could hope to feel with those dang wool uniforms! Sure, you got some interesting tan lines, but uniform choice was a MAJOR reason as to which side you are willing to fight for, and loincloths with the injuns and feral French was the ONLY way to go for moi!

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - November 17 2011 :  2:54:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Well, not quite. I'd still have Nathaniel.

I also have to say that Wes looked mighty good in that loin-cloth.

Ohhh Geez, - not another one, ... ;)

you can keep "The Change"

Flammable
Pioneer

October 18 2009

Posted - November 23 2011 :  6:25:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
For me Magua is the most tragic character in the movie. I wonder if they filmed any more of Magua for the film? If I was Mann I would expand Magua's character a bit more. I remember reading in the script version that is avalable on the net(does anyone know which version of the script that is?) that there was atleast one scene more with Magua that was cut off: during the scene where Magua and his men are leading Heyward and the Munro sisters away Magua is telling Heyward -who is offering Magua gold for freedom- that he wont take gold but he would set them free if he got "a new heart". I can imagine Magua saying that and it would add greatly to the sadness of his character.

James N.
Colonial Militia

James N
USA

October 24 2007

Posted - November 23 2011 :  8:16:13 PM  Show Profile  Send James N. a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Flammable

I remember reading in the script version that is avalable on the net(does anyone know which version of the script that is?) that there was atleast one scene more with Magua that was cut off: during the scene where Magua and his men are leading Heyward and the Munro sisters away Magua is telling Heyward -who is offering Magua gold for freedom- that he wont take gold but he would set them free if he got "a new heart".

Flammable,

That's from the copy of the script I have and which I created a post about some time ago. Since few were privvy to the filming of that scene, it's unlikely if we'll ever know if that was another of the seemingly endless script changes or was simply done in editing. Here's a link to my original post:

http://www.mohicanpress.com/messageboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6045
  Previous Topic: Zee troos regardezment zee purple pee-johnz... Topic Next Topic: The Bandwagon  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.3 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07