The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/10/2024 11:31:01 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 Some More Mohicans Souvenirs
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Twenty Years Ago, July, 1991 - Fort William Henry Topic Next Topic: Couple Questions  

James N.
Colonial Militia

James N
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
October 24 2007

Posted - July 19 2011 :  6:30:44 PM  Show Profile  Send James N. a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
While digging in my underwear drawer where I keep old T-shirts, I was reminded of a "custom" I've observed on probably all the productions I ever worked on - namely the production T-shirt. Usually there is ONE "official" design, apparantly made available near the end of the production by the company for members of the crew. Since Mohicans was such a long-drawn-out affair, there seem to have been several, mostly "unofficial" created by groups working within the film. Here are some I still have:

Image Insert:

51.67KB

Image Insert:

62.88 KB

The white one at left, though it's from Glory, illustrates one use these might be put. The "biggest" scene in that movie occurrs when the 54th Mass. Rgt. marches through "Boston" ( Savannah, Ga. actually ) and off to war. Rather than PAY the several hundred civillian extras for their time, the scene was scheduled for a Saturday, and the local radio station Z-102, whose call letters appear on the shirt, promoted the "opportunity" for those interested who wanted to appear in the movie to present themselves early in the morning to be dressed in period civillian costumes. Their "pay" - being in this scene, AND - one of these lovely shirts! That's what it means when it says "I did it for Glory".

Image Insert:

67.5KB

Our Core Military Group, representing the 35th Rgt. of Foot made this design for ourselves, designed by one of the younger members and "approved" by CAPTAIN Dale Dye - that's why it's so cliche Gung Ho-looking. In case you can't tell, it's a cross made by a Brown Bess musket superimposed over a Serjeant's halberd, along with a bayonet and belt axe ( NOT a tomahawk! ), all topped by an Indian skull - note the dangling scalp lock - and the motto God Save the King! On back was "The Last of the Mohicans". There were several orders made for these with a local Ashville company, most of them in a light gray; I still have one ( in back ), plus the niftier black version.

Image Insert:

56.52KB

Not to be outdone, the reenactors who portrayed the Highlanders came up with the GREEN one, complete with Royal cypher, Scottish broadsword, dirk, and pistol, surrounded by: 42nd Highland Regiment of Foot - The Black Watch. Though I didn't have an opportunity to buy one, Magua's Huron Core made one too, a yellow shirt if I remember right. Any of these that survive would surely rate as one of the rarer "artifacts" from the film!
report to moderator

James N.
Colonial Militia

James N
USA

October 24 2007

Posted - July 19 2011 :  7:54:09 PM  Show Profile  Send James N. a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
"And now for something completely different...":

Image Insert:

56.74 KB

THIS little item was a GIFT, one of approximately 30, given to the members of the Military Core Group by Maurice Roeves upon his return to the set for filming his scenes. We had first met him at the obnoxious Firefighters' Training Camp prior to ANY of our filming as part of Dye's "boot camp"; both he and Stephen Waddington attended it with us for a time. Roeves left for some reason ( after all, he didn't appear in ANY scenes until we arrived at the Fort in the middle of July ), but when he returned he brought these caps for us! As you can see they say Munro's Men - 35th - PROUD A FOOT; Last of the Mohicans. ( That rather stupid-sounding turn of phrase is one of Dye's anachronistic "Jar-head" contributions to our "training". ) Though not much to look at, I always thought it was a nice touch from our film "commander"!
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Stephanie
Gathering Sachemess

Hiking Smurf Avatar
USA

June 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - July 20 2011 :  11:47:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Oh my word, these are awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you for sharing!

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - July 20 2011 :  4:01:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
As it happens I turned on the History Channel while I was eating my lunch, and there was Dale Dye narrating a documentary about John C. Fremont. Guess he's found a home.

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"

James N.
Colonial Militia

James N
USA

October 24 2007

Posted - July 20 2011 :  7:59:59 PM  Show Profile  Send James N. a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
That would've ruined MY lunch! I was disgusted to see him in the first few minutes of the new Tom Hanks/Julia Roberts movie, too. At the time I worked with him, he'd probably never HEARD of John C. Fremont.
  Previous Topic: Twenty Years Ago, July, 1991 - Fort William Henry Topic Next Topic: Couple Questions  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.33 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07